Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:59 pm 

That's one step too cynical. Being cynical isn't a contest that you can win by being the most cynical. At a certain point you've become too cynical. There is a correct balance.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:11 pm 

halfformedfetus wrote:
I was going to Toshi station to pick up some power converters when i found out and nearly had a heart attack! Disney? oh god :durr:

We should throw George Lucas in the salt mines of Kessel for his ill deed. Hopefully he'll be killed by one of those energy spiders.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:22 pm 

I don't think anybody is pretending that and or ignoring the fact that George Lucas is the one who pretty much killed Star Wars and I'm not saying that Disney can't and won't do a good job if it's even possible. I'm just in the camp that feels that Star Wars should just be allowed to die with what if any dignity it has left.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:50 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Commandaunt wrote:
Well there is that series about the star wars underworld coming out in a couple years on HBO - that should satisfy.

Say what? When was that ever said to be on HBO?

Oh...Huh, I actually thought it was going to, I must have heard it somewhere an assumed it to be true....Would be cool.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:30 pm 

Star Wars done by Disney?

Noooooo!

.....it seemed appropriate.

MalariaMosquito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:50 pm 

Messiah_X wrote:
Expecting casual filmgoers to read something like 12 essential Star Wars novels to catch up on the story before watching the new movie would be ridiculous for a franchise as huge as Star Wars, and it will just end up being criticized for being confusing.

Considering that Episode IV's crawl, and a few lines here and there from Obi Wan, Tarkin, and Leia pretty much summarized, or at least set the stage for much of the pre-film EU, it's ridiculous to think that a talented screenwriter couldn't reveal the essential back-story organically. It doesn't make sense for them to just abandon all the preexisting lore (and the most vocal portion of their fanbase). I wouldn't be surprised if they took bits and pieces from various sources like with the Marvel comics movies.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:41 pm 

Disney Star Wars?

Now our journey to the Dark Side is complete.

This *will* suck.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:04 am 

Ideally Episode VII will be a full-length nature documentary on mynocks, narrated by David Attenborough.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:24 am 

Haha.

Star Wars VII: The Ewoks Attack.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:14 am 

soul_schizm wrote:
Star Wars VII: The Ewoks Attack.

Series should've ended after Episode VI with the Ewoks raping and killing everyone at the party, Cannibal Holocaust style.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:47 am 

Most of the Expanded Universe novels are utter crap, not worth the money. New Jedi Order? Crystal Star? Courtship of Princess Leia? Anything involving Kevin J Anderson? Silly plots and bad writing, every one. The good news is the Lucas has shown willingness to stomp all over his own canon in the past, so don't expect this new "original story" to treat the EU with any kind of respect.

I mention Zahn only because he's the only guy that ever plotted a decent Star Wars novel. Don't worry about adapting Thrawn into anything, though that would be cool, just get Zahn in on the screenplay.

Also, if you're going to make a TV series, the whole idea of Wedge Antilles leading a kind of Delta Force of X-Wing pilots was kind of cool, and allows you to bounce around the galaxy without having to worry too much about exisiting characters & plots.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:30 am 

You're gonna happy then, just a rumor, but oh well...

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/10/31/s ... inal-story

Quote:
This means that Episode VII will not be an adaptation of any existing licensed Star Wars material. So, for those of you with your hearts set on that Thrawn Trilogy, I'm afraid your dreams reside in the Netherworld of the Force.

This RUMOR only adds to the mystery and intrigue surrounding the third Star Wars trilogy, because, well... now we have no earthly idea what it's about.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:41 am 

Distancing Lucas is a good move, but there is no need for more films.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:45 am 

Also, I hate everything about the expanded universe. How they bring back obviously dead characters (Hello Boba Fett) and cheat the mythology constantly to make more cash off of the storylines. It is like every little obscure, tertiary character has a history as rich in adventure as Han. It kind of burns you out as a fan a little bit; no a LOTTA bit.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:50 am 

Messiah_X wrote:
They could recast old Luke, Han, Leia, anyone else they want, I suppose, but what would be the point if they could just bring back the original actors aged up about 20 years?

2013* - 1977 = 36 years, dude. Have you seen Mark Hamill lately? These people aren't recognizable anymore. And frankly, very very few people would be 30+ years later.

( * Earliest filming date possible )

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:34 pm 

MalariaMosquito wrote:
Messiah_X wrote:
Expecting casual filmgoers to read something like 12 essential Star Wars novels to catch up on the story before watching the new movie would be ridiculous for a franchise as huge as Star Wars, and it will just end up being criticized for being confusing.

Considering that Episode IV's crawl, and a few lines here and there from Obi Wan, Tarkin, and Leia pretty much summarized, or at least set the stage for much of the pre-film EU, it's ridiculous to think that a talented screenwriter couldn't reveal the essential back-story organically. It doesn't make sense for them to just abandon all the preexisting lore (and the most vocal portion of their fanbase). I wouldn't be surprised if they took bits and pieces from various sources like with the Marvel comics movies.

I don't have any problems with them generally outlining some of the more important bits (formation of the New Republic, Luke starting a new Jedi order, remnant Imperial and Sith forces, etc.) and using that world as the basis for the new series. I just don't think they need to make tons of allusions to the core characters introduced in th EU (Thrawn, Mara Jade, the children that grow up to be Jedis and Sith). I mean the EU extends pretty far out into the future and deals with the ENTIRE lives of some of the characters from the films. The only way I can really see them pulling off "episode 7" (which you would assume would have to have SOME connection to the rest of the Star Wars film saga) is to drop some of those storylines.

Morrigan wrote:
2013* - 1977 = 36 years, dude. Have you seen Mark Hamill lately? These people aren't recognizable anymore. And frankly, very very few people would be 30+ years later.

Uh, good point actually. Hadn't seen what he looked like recently until just now. I suppose I was thinking primarily about Harrison Ford, who has aged just fine and could come back as an old Han Solo. Maybe they would have to recast Luke and Leia

Anyway, looks like we're somewhat on track with what they're thinking so far http://www.worldentertainmentnow.com/th ... nd-rumors/

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:50 pm 

Both Luke and Han Solo would look better with beards. Better suit old jedis and space smugglers.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:05 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Messiah_X wrote:
They could recast old Luke, Han, Leia, anyone else they want, I suppose, but what would be the point if they could just bring back the original actors aged up about 20 years?

( * Earliest filming date possible )

That just means Luke will be an older, wiser Jed; and Han will be a wealthy retired smuggler.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:40 pm 

Messiah_X wrote:
Anyway, looks like we're somewhat on track with what they're thinking so far http://www.worldentertainmentnow.com/th ... nd-rumors/

Sounds like mostly good news indeed.

Quote:
-George Lucas has penned the outline for the stories but won’t be involved heavily with the films.

Quote:
Disney could choose to heavily modify Lucas’s outline or go for a completely different story set hundreds of year in the future or the past.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:48 pm 

Star Wars Episode 7 Star Wars 7 Story Plot Summary

SluseTheInventor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:52 pm 

No worries, Disney can't do any worse to Star Wars than George Lucas already has

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:12 pm 

Seems like a lot of people don't realize that Disney owns Marvel Studios. Look how great the Marvel movies are turning out.

SluseTheInventor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:34 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Seems like a lot of people don't realize that Disney owns Marvel Studios. Look how great the Marvel movies are turning out.

Yeah, and look how great marvel comics are these days :S :boo: :boo:

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:39 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:

Didn't read the entire thing, just a bit of it. Is this authentic? What is the source? Is this Lucas's general summary of what he had in mind for future episodes? Seems like it would do a good job of keeping most of the better EU stuff without making it too complicated for fans who haven't read them. If it's real at least

MalariaMosquito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:00 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:

Supershadow is a notorious fraud. He's been known to post made-up plot summaries for years, and to have claimed at various times that he's worked for or knows Lucas. Don't believe a thing he says or posts. And that plot summary is fake.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:24 pm 

SluseTheInventor wrote:
Adriankat wrote:

Yeah, and look how great marvel comics are these days :S :boo: :boo:

He's right. Before Disney took over Marvel, Marvel movies were shit. The closest they got to quality was the kinda "meh" reaction of the Raimi Spiderman films and at worst we got horrible vomit like the 2003 Hulk movie...now we have really entertaining stuff like The Avengers, Captain America, X Men First Class and the new Spiderman movie.

It really can't get lamer than the prequels, at least I hope not...I'll keep an open mind anyway, till we see some kind of teaser or whatever.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:16 am 

I at least hope they film the new trilogy in 3d, rather than convert it.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:50 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
I at least hope they film the new trilogy in 3d

They better not or at least film it regular 2d as well I can't stand 3d movies and I know there's plenty of people who share my sentiments. And as far as the quality of the movies go Disney should get who ever was in charge of Rise of The Planet of The Apes now there was a good prequel and a good addition to the franchise itself.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:42 am 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:
I at least hope they film the new trilogy in 3d

They better not or at least film it regular 2d as well I can't stand 3d movies and I know there's plenty of people who share my sentiments. And as far as the quality of the movies go Disney should get who ever was in charge of Rise of The Planet of The Apes now there was a good prequel and a good addition to the franchise itself.

I think you misunderstood that. Theyre going to make them in 3d, but filming it in 3d is much more effective than converting it. It can still be 2d also.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:39 am 

MalariaMosquito wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:

Supershadow is a notorious fraud. He's been known to post made-up plot summaries for years, and to have claimed at various times that he's worked for or knows Lucas. Don't believe a thing he says or posts. And that plot summary is fake.

Very amusing. Exactly the sort of ridiculous and childlike plots that made most of the Expanded Universe so unbearable.

Here are two facts Episode VII needs to deal with, in my opinion:

1) Luke barely knows how to do anything. He's an uneducated farmboy who, through an accident of birth, has friends in high places. One of whom was a rickety old Jedi Master that he personally knew for like a week. He was trained just enough to be a tool against Darth Vader, and both Yoda and Obi-Wan expressed doubts that he would even be a very good one. There is no way this guy would be able to reestablish the Jedi order. Plus, the galaxy wouldn't stand for it, given what happened last time. It would be politically untenable. And that brings us to

2) Luke and Leia are Darth Vader's children. How long do you think that would remain a secret? Can you imagine the political scandal? Those two would not be allowed to be in charge of a taco stand, let alone a government or Jedi order, given what dear old dad did. Try to imagine Adolf Hitler's of Joseph Mengele's kids being elected to the German parliament. They could be saints, it wouldn't matter. The public wouldn't buy it. You only have to look at how many people still think Barack Obama is from Kenya, or that Saddam Hussein had WMDs, to see how impossible it is to explain even obvious truths to your average idiot.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:43 am 

Quote:
1) Luke barely knows how to do anything. He's an uneducated farmboy who, through an accident of birth, has friends in high places. One of whom was a rickety old Jedi Master that he personally knew for like a week. He was trained just enough to be a tool against Darth Vader, and both Yoda and Obi-Wan expressed doubts that he would even be a very good one. There is no way this guy would be able to reestablish the Jedi order. Plus, the galaxy wouldn't stand for it, given what happened last time. It would be politically untenable. And that brings us to

2) Luke and Leia are Darth Vader's children. How long do you think that would remain a secret? Can you imagine the political scandal? Those two would not be allowed to be in charge of a taco stand, let alone a government or Jedi order, given what dear old dad did. Try to imagine Adolf Hitler's of Joseph Mengele's kids being elected to the German parliament. They could be saints, it wouldn't matter. The public wouldn't buy it. You only have to look at how many people still think Barack Obama is from Kenya, or that Saddam Hussein had WMDs, to see how impossible it is to explain even obvious truths to your average idiot.

These are both obviously true and yet it doesn't matter because Star Wars is a children's movie (with big special effects) and is highly idealistic, not realistic.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:12 pm 

Here's the inevitable Cracked article: http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-re ... star-wars/
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:46 pm 

This reminds me of Patton oswalt's stand up bit he did on george lucas a few years back, basically stating that if he had a time machine he'd go back to around 1991 or 92 when Lucas re-vamped the original three films (which afterward just spiraled into the god awful "prequel" chapters) and kill him with a shovel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCjIjsZp_Y
[lucas after discovering how disappointed a fan is after he sums up the new star wars films]: "you look really sad... would you like some ice cream?"
"yeah man, I'd fuckin love some ice cream right now"
"well here's a bag of rock salt, combined with cream, and milk and sugar, you can use the rock salt to make ice cream"
"I don't give a shit where the stuff I like comes from, I JUST LIKE THE STUFF I LIKE"
those lines sum up why I could never stomach the new star wars movies... and to stay on topic,whatever horrible PG family fun adaption of star wars Disney spews out will undoubtedly be 10 times the atrocity that episodes 1-3 were

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:23 pm 

godsonsafari wrote:
Quote:

These are both obviously true and yet it doesn't matter because Star Wars is a children's movie (with big special effects) and is highly idealistic, not realistic.

Agreed.

1) Also, perhaps Luke didn't get a long "traditional" Jedi training. But he was the son of the most powerful Jedi to ever live. Wookiepedia says that: "Though he received little training, Luke Skywalker became an exceptionally skilled Jedi in combat, making him one of the most powerful Jedi to ever live. ". So yeah, he became Grand master of the new order and it's quite evident that he had the potential to do that.

2) Even though he was the son of Vader (who was a war hero before he turned to the dark side too), he defeated the Empire, give the guy some credit...

VHSDVD123
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:00 pm 

Nope Episode 1 will forever be the greatest Star Wars film. It was before they started using the droids as comic relief. They were so badass just marching around "ROGER, ROGER". Qui Gon Jin. Destroyer Droids. That 3 simultanious battle montage at the end, those gungan shields. Fuck that movie was the best. Also, the pod race kicked ass

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:05 pm 

:nono: :thumbsdown: :fuck: :guns:

Your opinion for anything ever is now irrelevant.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:11 am 

VHSDVD123 wrote:
Nope Episode 1 will forever be the greatest Star Wars film. It was before they started using the droids as comic relief. They were so badass just marching around "ROGER, ROGER". Qui Gon Jin. Destroyer Droids. That 3 simultanious battle montage at the end, those gungan shields. Fuck that movie was the best. Also, the pod race kicked ass

:nono:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:35 am 

VHSDVD123 wrote:

The only thing I have to say about this is...

Spoiler: show

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:34 am 

If Disney was still focusing there attention on traditional hand drawn animation I would be excited about this. I think it would have been awesome to see an animated Star Wars with some of the masters working on it. Sadly it could be many years (if at all) they do another hand drawn film.

Still I liked the the Pirates Of The Caribbean movies and since George Lucas isn't involved in it, there is still a chance for a decent movie. It depends on who they get to do it.

I just hope they release the originals on Blu-ray without all the shit.

Rotting_Christ_Mike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:36 pm 

I'm a bit late, but I just want to say that whichever storyline they choose to follow in the movie and the ones that will follow, I just hope they don't suck and I really hope they provide entertainment while respecting the original films and their stories and characters.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next