Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:20 pm 

^ I've got a buddy I'm trying to explain this idea to as well. Jack Daniels is iconic, and I don't mind it now and again, but we make much better stuff over here. Hudson is an interesting rec, I've seen the, "baby," variant touted a couple of times, but I don't see it at too many liquor stores, and the few I've seen weren't cheap. Which other bourbons would you compare it to?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:33 am 

Unfortunately, I can't really say. I'm not well versed in bourbon because I don't really like it, generally speaking, so I wouldn't be able to tell you. I've only had Hudson once or twice at other people's houses. I like rye and scotch. Hudson is really good, however, so I'd recommend finding a bar with a good menu. One of the gastropubs near me is actually exclusively American inventory, which makes this kind of search really easy. The craft beers there are really good, too, but this isn't that thread.

Lord_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:27 am 

I'm a big fan of both bourbons and single malt scotch, although admittedly it seems to be the exception to the rule here in the UK as I've personally never met another single malt fan who likes bourbon. A common complaint is that it is too sweet for their palate but personally that's one of the reasons I like it.

When I fancy something on the sweeter side I'll opt for a bourbon generally. There is also something about drinking a bourbon that makes me think of sitting in a smoke filled speakeasy, listening to some blues guitarist spill his heart out whilst I'm sipping away!

There are some fantastic bourbons out there. Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, Wild Turkey 101, Elijah Craig and Knob Creek to name a few. Even some of the lower priced stuff like Buffalo Trace is pretty good.

Single malt scotch is in my opinion the better of the two but I shall always have room for a few bourbons in my collection.

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:23 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Matyu wrote:
So, yeah, I like American and Japanese whiskeys. :)

If you enjoy American whiskey, I highly recommend exploring the wide variety of it that exists outside of Jack Daniels which doesn't automatically mean bourbon, either. JD is Tennesee whiskey. That's one whiskey from one state. I respectfully present a quizzical wtf and practice a bit of deep breathing/avoidant coping when Jack Daniel's represents American whiskeys. It's a big country out (t)here. McCarthy's (OR) and Hudson (NY) are easy places to start.

Thank you for your recommendation. I like JD black label because it's affordable and it's not so bad, single barrel is much better in my opinion. Keep in mind that I have a small budget. However, if I have the opportunity, I will try other American whiskeys.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:56 am 

The best bang-for-your-buck bourbon I've found is Evan Williams black label. Should be about $10 a fifth, and not only is it good for the money but it's a) just plain good and b) better than their single barrel Evan Williams that's 3x as expensive.

My favorite shelf bourbon I've found so far is Eagle Rare 10. The best bourbon I've had is Weller 12, but it went from an easy-to-find $30 bottle to a pain-in-the-ass-to-find sometimes-$50, sometimes-$90 bottle. It's become too much of a pain to seek out that one. Larceny is another good one.

If you can find Rock Town Hickory Smoked Whiskey, I very much recommend it. It's a wheat whiskey made from hickory-smoked wheat.

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
I like rye and scotch.

Have you ever had any rye malt whiskey? That is, whiskey made from malted rye, rather than just raw rye? I ask because I can pretty easily get one but it's $100 a bottle. I know the malting process adds a lot of labor costs but I'm curious if a rye malt whiskey really tastes much different from just a standard rye whiskey.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:24 am 

I'm into Whisky for a few years now, starting with Bellantine's Finest, because he makes for the best Whisky-Coke I tried so far, and slowly dug deeper into this realm.

I currently have several open bottles standing around:
Talisker Skye - That was the second Whisky I ever tried and I still really like it. Good introduction to the smoke-y side, because it isn't too dominant and it isn't that price-y.

Talisker 10Y - great upgrade to the Skye, much more refined in its taste, smoother, lost its youth and has a fair bit of oak in its taste as well as fruits and the breath of the sea. Also unlike the Skye this one has the Chili-Catch that's the main characteristics of Talisker.

The Arran (Amarone Cask Finish) - actually a bit disappointed by that one, he's really young and hasn't lost that metallic taste yet he's in the price range of a regular 10Y whisky. The caska provide a nice fruitiness, but I dunno. Not one of my faves.

Deveron 12Y - Really smooth and soft whisky with loads of honey, but not much spice. Not very complex, more for an easy drink while watching a movie. Still a good whisky.

The Dalmore 12Y - the sherry casks provide some really nice fruitiness while the age comes with a fair bit of spice and oak. notes of orange combined with vanilla make for a good bit of sweetness with a slight sour undertone. The finish brings out the oak with hints of chocolate. Neat.

Tullamore D.E.W. - well...Irish blend with three types of Irish whiskey, smells fresh, smooth and fruity, tastes young and spicey with loads of bitterness in the finish. Only used with coke.

Current "all time" favorites:
Laphroaig 10y
Talisker 10y

Really need to upgrade those two to the 18y variants.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:25 pm 

Fuck! I COMPLETELY forgot this thread! :durr:

I was on holidays in Scotland (https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?p=2848713#p2848713) and this was my booty when coming back:
https://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com/2019/02/vacaciones-en-escocia.html
https://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com/2015/12/whisky.html

And I recently bought a bottle of Lagavulin:

Let's see! :beer:

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:23 am 

Lagavulin is a fine scotch, but for the price point, there are better options that have that same heavy peat taste, but don't cost nearly $120. I find Ardbeg 10yr to be very comparable, although definitely less smooth. Balvenie 15yr is absolutely fucking incredible, and only slightly more costly than Lagavulin 16yr, at about $150. I should note that these prices are in CDN, so they'd probably be far cheaper, relatively, in USD.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:18 am 

Burnyoursins wrote:
Lagavulin is a fine scotch, but for the price point, there are better options that have that same heavy peat taste, but don't cost nearly $120. I find Ardbeg 10yr to be very comparable, although definitely less smooth. Balvenie 15yr is absolutely fucking incredible, and only slightly more costly than Lagavulin 16yr, at about $150. I should note that these prices are in CDN, so they'd probably be far cheaper, relatively, in USD.

Interesting, thanks! :beer:

I tasted the Lagavulin the other day and didn't impress me. Seemed like quite similar to a Johnny Walker Black Label.

P.S: I'll have to try the Balvenie 15yr. :thumbsup:

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:12 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:

So jealous of this trip! Thanks for sharing.

I've been a whiskey fan for a long time but until recently had only really dabbled in basic Speyside malts like Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Macallan. Tried a Laphroaig at a bar several years back and was totally disgusted by it. But I gave it another shot last year and now I'm obsessed. Lately I've been really enjoying Laphroaig QC, Port Charlotte 10, Ardbeg 10 and Springbank 10. Can't get enough of this stuff... so glad I gave it another chance after the bad experience in my youth.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:11 pm 

BasqueStorm:

Awesome!
I really want to travel to Islay one day!
Love the whiskeys from there.
I have a bottle of Laphroaig QC, love it.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:41 pm 

As a descendant of Clan Ross, I will always break out the Glenmorangie for a special occasion. And when I’m stumbling home from the pub in the cold, I go for the bracing sharpness of our family scotch to warm me arse.
But if I’m settled in, nothing beats the gentle cuddliness of a Balvenie 10-yr. Good lord, that is a nice scotch :-D
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:33 am 

I've disliked each of the four morangie variations I've tried. Balvenie tends to be quite good; while it's a bit sweet I really like their 14 Caribbean (rum cask).

I've really been impressed with the Bunnahabhain bottles I've had; a lot of salty coastal flavor. I need to find more.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:05 am 

I bought a bottle of the Talisker 10 the other day and tried it on Friday.

Lovely stuff.
Nice amount of peat/smoke and full on salty and the taste of the sea.

Last edited by forestcorpse on Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
MoralArchives
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:03 am 

Nice stuff!

What about the salt? They're not sure about how it gets to the whisky. Peat or atmosphere through the barrels?

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:37 pm 

MoralArchives? BasqueStorm, is that you?

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:28 pm 

That is one hell of an adventure, BasqueStorm!

Talisker, Oban, Laphroaig, Ardbeg and Lagavulin is almost like a Greatest Hits of my favorite Scotch whiskies of all time.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:07 pm 

Dedicating this to my Grandfather that was buried today.
He have been living his whole life as a farmer in the same sort of weather/nature you will get on Islay.

RIP, and journey well into the unknown!

What a whisky...!

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:39 pm 

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I'm feeling this dread that soon mine might be heading that way himself. He is 91, fought in Korea, and lately has been having signs of dementia.

Don't know anyone in my immediate family that drank Scotch. That really became my own thing. My parents were members of AA, my dad gave up drinking around the time I was born (maybe slightly before, because of my stillborn sister Angela) and my mom never considered herself addicted, just gave it up because of the potential to be so or something. I never really understood it, but going to this music festival called Soberstock was fun - got to see some legends up close and personal. I got to meet Neil Young and Eddie Money when I was a kid.

Of course when I turned 21 it wasn't long before my mom returned to alcohol, but neither of us developed unhealthy habits with it. A lot of my friends aren't even sure I drink because they never see me do so when I go out.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:33 pm 

Thank you, it was sad.
Ah, well I hope he will keep it for a while more! :)

In my family it's like me and my dad that enjoy some whisky.
My dad is a big fan of ''Glen Moray''

I really want to explore so much in the future, gonna get myself a new bottle now and then.

Tonight, it's another Talisker 10 in the glass.
Really like this one.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11