Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:05 am 

I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong section/am not supposed to be posting this at all , but there doesn't seem to be one dedicated to electronics and I figured this forum probably does have its share of knowledgeable people regarding this subject , so here it goes :

Anyways I'm currently using a Naxa Model NPC-319 for my regular handheld listening and it's going on the outs , so I'm just curious about any recommendations anyone might have . I used a Walkman for ages before getting this bad boy and as a result I'm rather ignorant of handheld portable CD players in general .

Oh and just for clarification by " handheld portable CD player " , I mean the type of portable CD player that you can easily hold in your hand while you jog or even stick in your pocket if it's big enough .

BreedingtheSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:23 pm 

I recommend this portable CD player by Sony: Sony DEJ011 Portable Walkman CD Player. It has the anti-skip function, I found mine on eBay for fairly cheap

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:33 am 

there's a fair amount of literature on the dangers of carrying a laser-reader on your person. it's almost 2019, switch to an ipod or other mp3 player...

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:49 pm 

Before I got an iPod... I had an iRiver which was very nice. Extremely slim and very good quality.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:27 pm 

aloof wrote:
there's a fair amount of literature on the dangers of carrying a laser-reader on your person. it's almost 2019, switch to an ipod or other mp3 player...

THIS. especially if you're exercising.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:10 am 

This thread is brought to you by the year 2005...

Sincerely, carrying a mp3 player or even using your cell phone is a much better option.

dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:26 am 

Nothing can beat a Sony Discman for me. They are virtually indestructible. I am currently using one that is over 20 years old that I bought at Goodwill for $2. But I only use it in the house since a phone or mp3 player is definitely more ideal when going for a walk.
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

DecemberSoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:35 pm 

aloof wrote:
there's a fair amount of literature on the dangers of carrying a laser-reader on your person

Related headlines:

"Dozens of pedestrians cut in half horizontally in nearby park by oblivious jogger's faulty discman"

"Horrendous trail of demilichs leads to immediate conviction"

"Jogger was listening to an album called "Cause of death" by a group named "Obituary", of all things"

"Judge cites song titles such as "Chopped in half" evidencing premeditation"

Sorry, had to... :-D

motorsport
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:53 am 

kluseba wrote:
This thread is brought to you by the year 2005...

Sincerely, carrying a mp3 player or even using your cell phone is a much better option.

At least the other guy gave a reason why. This post is just you being a complete douchebag.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:31 pm 

motorsport wrote:
At least the other guy gave a reason why. This post is just you being a complete douchebag.

Lighten up.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:02 pm 

Can someone elaborate on the dangers of a laser reader? I googled and found nothing relevant. I'm assuming it's something that could harm the CD and not a health hazard. But of course everything explodes these days.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:01 am 

RakdosWarlord wrote:
Can someone elaborate on the dangers of a laser reader? I googled and found nothing relevant. I'm assuming it's something that could harm the CD and not a health hazard. But of course everything explodes these days.

Laser readers produce a certain amount of heat while active, which is concentrated at the point the laser hits the disc. Ordinarily the heat should be at a perfectly safe level, but movement, like walking, aggravates it and causes the heat to intensify. That can causes the disc's plastic coating to melt and warp and becoming clouded. Not enough to give you a noticeably bent CD, but enough to make the data layers underneath the clouding unreadable. Sometimes you can "repair" a disc by polishing off the clouded plastic layering a bit, but in really bad cases the burn has reached all the way down to the data layer, which makes your music unsalvageable.

https://www.chaoshour.com/games/guides/ ... aser-burn/

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:27 pm 

I had no idea. Good to know.

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:34 pm 

Thanks for the info guys , especially the part about the health hazards . I guess I'll have to buy an Ipod or a smartphone .

Reply to topic