Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:07 am 

Now that you bring it up, I do say "fizzy drink", but strangely only when I'm talking to my brothers. Wonder why that is. :scratch:
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:19 am 

Maybe you called it that when you were kids?

Something I got from my Dad is "sprog" for kid, children

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:38 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I'm in Kendall County, which is highlighted as 80%-100% Pop. I've really only met one guy my whole life who refused to call it pop. I honestly think soda sounds less silly, because let's face it, pop sounds funny, but old habits die hard and I really can't see myself breaking from it unless I live somewhere else for an extended period of time.

Yeah I refuse to say "pop" I just hate the way it sounds. And at least people don't just say "Coke" up here, pretty much my wife's whole family says it cause they are mostly from Texas. It's even stranger considering her grandma wont even drink Coke she'll only drink Pepsi.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:32 pm 

I understand why people do that though, I mean, all tissues are Kleenex here and all vacuums are Hoovers overseas.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:19 pm 

If I hear someone say Hoover here I think they must be English.
We call almost any reclining chair a Lazy boy ha ha

They said Pop a lot in England and the Isle of Man when I was there about 20 years ago

Just recently I read someone online saying "snap one off" and they weren’t talking about photography
I immediately thought they meant take a photo.

Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:51 pm 

Hailing from Southern California here and saw that question about "beast" on the first page. I've heard beast used as an adjective, but I also hear it used as a verb. The closest approximation I can equate it with is "to conquer." For example:

Kid on a skateboard did a bunch of tricks at a skatepark.
"I beasted those ramps."

or

Kid at a really big sandwich
"Yeah, I fucking beasted that sandwich."

As an adjective,
That test was really hard.
"That test was a beast."

"Hella" is used in SoCal, but to my understanding, it is used differently than in NorCal. According to a friend, it's also used pretty often in Oregon. In SoCal, hella is used as an adjective to mean "really," while in NorCal, it can mean "really" or "a lot."

SoCal: That test was hella hard.
NorCal/Oregon: I ate hella food last night.

Another way to say "a lot of something" in Southern California, is to say "a grip."

Example: I ate a grip of food.

Quick minute can be used to mean either "soon" or "for a short amount of time."

Example: I'll do my chores in a quick minute.
Example: I was only at her house for a quick minute.

It's also pretty common to hear the word decent being used to mean "cool" or "fortunate" rather than "respectable" or "adequate."

Person 1: My professor cancelled our exam today.
Person 2: That's decent.

I also grew up in the South Eastern United States, and my friends in Cali had never heard this, so I guess it might be a Southern term, but, a common school yard taunt was to call some a gayfer. Pretty much what you would imagine, it means someone who is gay or being gay. And just like fag, it was directed at people who are being lame, and not actual homosexuals. Especially since the only people who used it were 2nd graders who still thought girls were icky.

Example: Dude, don't be a gayfer.

If I think of any more, I'll post them.

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:30 pm 

I remembered another one.

I was at work the other day, and I told my coworker I was stepping out to my car to grab my stocking cap. He gave me a funny look and clearly didn't know what I meant, so I told him I'd just show him when I came back in. He said "Oh, you mean your beanie!".

I grew up in the Kansas City area and never heard them called anything but "stocking caps" or rarely "toboggans". Apparently they call them "beanies" here in TN. What do they call them around your way?

(Here's an image if you're not familiar with what I'm talking about: http://thekneeslider.com/images/ribcap.jpg )

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:39 pm 

They call them beanies here.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:41 pm 

Definitely a Beanie here too, sometimes a "woolly hat" ha ha

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:55 pm 

I've started using "stocking cap" and "beanie" interchangeably, because it's not like you're basing an entire conversation around the thing. "Toboggan" has always struck me as odd though, and I'm pretty sure that's a lot more common in the Tulsa, OK area. Kansas Citians occasionally say "toboggan" when they're talking about those small, cheap round plastic sleds we used as kids to slide down the road when there was a bit of snow.

Other than that, the Kansas City accent and "dialect" really isn't markedly different from the General American- most people agree the GA actually originated in that area(and the larger Midwest region), and there's certainly a lot of native Kansas Citians in the radio industry around the country.

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:15 am 

If you say "at" at the end of a sentence, you're probably from the Midwest. such as myself... or used to at least...

Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:30 am 

It always did bug me in South whenever anyone would say Coke to refer to soda. It's infinitely worse when someone refers to it as "Coke Cola" though.

I've heard lamping used to mean "to chill" or "to hang out". I'm pretty sure this one is hip-hop slang, and not really regional.

The most obscure one of I've thought of, and have only heard a few people use: sicky sicky gnar gnar. No joke. Apparently, it means something that is very cool. After doing a search on it, it appears to be largely confined to Southern California, and not super popular (thankfully).

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:43 pm 

I don't speak like this, but I find a large number of people around my area, especially if I go up around Johnstown like to use the work "yuns" or "yins" or something that sounds like that as a synonym for "you people". Sort of a redneck thing given that Johnstown is a conservative nightmare.

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:42 pm 

Errebuss wrote:
Hailing from Southern California here and saw that question about "beast" on the first page. I've heard beast used as an adjective, but I also hear it used as a verb. The closest approximation I can equate it with is "to conquer." For example:

Kid on a skateboard did a bunch of tricks at a skatepark.
"I beasted those ramps."

or

Kid at a really big sandwich
"Yeah, I fucking beasted that sandwich."

As an adjective,
That test was really hard.
"That test was a beast."

"Hella" is used in SoCal, but to my understanding, it is used differently than in NorCal. According to a friend, it's also used pretty often in Oregon. In SoCal, hella is used as an adjective to mean "really," while in NorCal, it can mean "really" or "a lot."

SoCal: That test was hella hard.
NorCal/Oregon: I ate hella food last night.

Another way to say "a lot of something" in Southern California, is to say "a grip."

Example: I ate a grip of food.

Quick minute can be used to mean either "soon" or "for a short amount of time."

Example: I'll do my chores in a quick minute.
Example: I was only at her house for a quick minute.

It's also pretty common to hear the word decent being used to mean "cool" or "fortunate" rather than "respectable" or "adequate."

Person 1: My professor cancelled our exam today.
Person 2: That's decent.

I also grew up in the South Eastern United States, and my friends in Cali had never heard this, so I guess it might be a Southern term, but, a common school yard taunt was to call some a gayfer. Pretty much what you would imagine, it means someone who is gay or being gay. And just like fag, it was directed at people who are being lame, and not actual homosexuals. Especially since the only people who used it were 2nd graders who still thought girls were icky.

Example: Dude, don't be a gayfer.

If I think of any more, I'll post them.

I only hear grip when people are talking about weed
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:50 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I'm in Kendall County, which is highlighted as 80%-100% Pop. I've really only met one guy my whole life who refused to call it pop. I honestly think soda sounds less silly, because let's face it, pop sounds funny, but old habits die hard and I really can't see myself breaking from it unless I live somewhere else for an extended period of time.

I spent my whole life in Cook County and when I was a kid we always said pop. When I was little and went to visit some cousins in NJ my siblings and I asked for cans of pop and they had no idea what we were talking about. Now that I'm older I'll more or less refer to the brands instead of the generic "pop" term, although I noticed that a lot of people use the generic "coke" for any kind of cola.

In regards to an earlier discussion, everyone I know who isn't like 60 or older refers to the expressways by their numbers, not their names. My parents refer to them by their names but I'm pretty sure that most of my friends would have to think really hard if I said "The Kennedy" instead of 90 or "The Edens" instead of 94.

Also, I've noticed that people outside of Chicago are confused and amused by the term "The Chicagoland Area".

Mike_235
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:57 am 

bloodycumshit wrote:
markoff_chaney wrote:
I've never been clear about this. Why do Kiwis call crystal meth "P"?

i think we call it p because it's short for "pure" meth.I myself call it kiwi crack

Quote:
and when you want your girlfriend to cook your friend some eggs - cook the man some fucking eggs!

when your son try's to leave the house at dinner time - Where the fuck you off to? Come have a feed boy!

Are these lines from Once Were Warriors?

yes,our native language

I assumed it was because 'P'seudoephedrine is used in the making of 'P'. I might be wrong though, this is just a conclusion I came to myself.

Also, the meth/p/whatever you get on the streets is far from pure. It's not as though it's being manufactured by chemists in a lab...

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:22 am 

Everything remotely good in Tennessee is "sick." Sick is the most frequently used word I hear around here these days, but sick, straight, serious, crucial, and fresh are all interchangeable.

Conversely, anything remotely negative is usually described as foul, unnecessary, weak, or tired.

I can't really think of much else aside from the obvious southern stereotypical stuff like ya'all, yonder, reckon, and you'ns. No one my age really uses that type of language, it's mostly older people.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:53 am 

@TadGhostal: I'm 25 and I never use the expressway numbers only their names, it's mostly to avoid confusion too. It's hard enough trying to catch what they say on traffic reports now imagine if they were using the numbers instead of the names, that's just too many damn numbers. Also the names denote where you're at on said expressway, it would be awfully confusing to just say "90" when it goes from Wisconsin to Indiana.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:21 am 

SladeCraven wrote:
I can't really think of much else aside from the obvious southern stereotypical stuff like ya'all, yonder, reckon, and you'ns. No one my age really uses that type of language, it's mostly older people.

Sheeeeeeit.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5