Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:53 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
i have a question for the canadians about poutine.
when i was in the isle of man in about 1990 we had "chips, cheese and gravy" on the school lunch [dinner] menu
years later i discovered it's popular in canada, but when i look up any info on it the recipes always state "cheese curd"

is this not just proper cheese grated on some chips then smothered in gravy? :scratch:

Heck no! I'm not totally sure about the process but I think curds are basically a quickly made sour milk product, kinda like a proto cheese. They should be super fresh, made the same day, and they should squeak when you bite into them. In my youth I balked at eating something called a 'curd' but they are super tasty, mild and slightly salty. Also, it's not quite gravy- it's sometimes called 'brown sauce' and it's a bit thinner.

MA's Quebecois cohorts might be able to elaborate- the dish originates in Quebec but it's fairly widespread across the country.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:57 pm 

lemon curd is all good but i'm not entirely sure i would want to eat cheese curd

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:30 pm 

Porman wrote:
Malaka is similar to wanker, although it can be used in a friendly manner too. It can be used as a noun, verb and an adjective.

Ok cool thanks I feel less offended for sure. I always assumed it was more derogitory/vulgar than that.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Krav
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:58 pm 

iAm wrote:
Everywhere I go in California people like to use "hella" as an adjective describing, well, everything. I haven't heard anyone use it outside the west coast. We also like getting hyphy and ghostriding the whip on our scraper bikes.

Haha, hella spread to my high school in Virginia (2007-8ish) via some people who played an online game with Californians.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:29 am 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
In Scotland, using "Ya bastard" or "Ya cunt" at the end of a sentence, or as a greeting is generally more a term of endearment than one of aggression.

Junkies are often referred to as "Jakeys" or "Jakes"

Like in the rest of the UK, being "pissed" means to be drunk, as opposed to angry, although it tends to be more akin to "pished" up here.

Also, not meaning to perpetuate stereotypes, the word "fuck" is suitable for a huge range of household applications, including as something to say between other words which don't relate to it in any way; For example "Look at that... fuckin'... big, huge fuckin' thing." [also note the sporadic tautology use, which, while not unique to Scotland, is rather prevelant]

In reference to Cigarette names, we still like to confuse Americans by referring to them as Fags.

apart from jakey's it doesn't sound very different from over here

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:33 am 

I remember distincly the southern California people giving the northern California people a lot of shit for saying "Hella" back in the day. Where I went to school there were a lot people from both halves of the state and it was sometimes like two different languages:

"Barney" (Southern Cal) = incompetant dork,
"Brah" or "Bro-hamm" (So-Cal)= friend or buddy,
"Renee" (northern Cali)= hot chick,
"Betty" (So-cal)= hot chick,
"Cut eighty" (nor-Cal)= take off, leave, go somewhere else, split,
Four Twenty (originated in northern Cali but now widespread) = anything related to marijuana.

Never heard of "Hyphy." What is that? Keep in mind I havent lived in California for nearly 20 years.

Around here, a lot of slang is related to license plates, which sounds odd but it's like you can stereotype people by what part of the state they live in. Each county has its own letter and number. So if you call someone a "2C Driver" you are basically saying they are a crappy driver, while a "Six Beenie" (6-B county license plate) is your basic semi-literate mountain man/mountain meth mama. Calling someone a "Two O" is like saying they're a cowboy, not in a derogatory way since people up there are often the real thing, as opposed to "Five Beenies" (rich people who dress in cowboy gear and drive big trucks and look the part, but actually are usually banking or real-estate tycoons)

Last edited by Oxenkiller on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:37 am 

Quote:
it's short for pseudoephedrine, incidentally i never call it "p" always "meth

no im pretty sure it's pure meth,Pseudoephedrine is just an ingredient in the drug

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:42 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
dreadmeat wrote:
i have a question for the canadians about poutine.
when i was in the isle of man in about 1990 we had "chips, cheese and gravy" on the school lunch [dinner] menu
years later i discovered it's popular in canada, but when i look up any info on it the recipes always state "cheese curd"

is this not just proper cheese grated on some chips then smothered in gravy? :scratch:

Heck no! I'm not totally sure about the process but I think curds are basically a quickly made sour milk product, kinda like a proto cheese. They should be super fresh, made the same day, and they should squeak when you bite into them. In my youth I balked at eating something called a 'curd' but they are super tasty, mild and slightly salty. Also, it's not quite gravy- it's sometimes called 'brown sauce' and it's a bit thinner.

MA's Quebecois cohorts might be able to elaborate- the dish originates in Quebec but it's fairly widespread across the country.

Poutine NEEDS cheese curds, gravy and fries. Using another kind of cheese is total blasphemy. The gravy really depends of the restaurant though, sometimes it's thinner, clearer, sometimes it's darker, etc...

This is the wiki article about our swears. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French_profanity I mainly use "crisse", "tabarnak", "calice". My grand-mother's favorite swear is "viarge", it's funny.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:52 am 

teton! ha ha i like that one
i might try to track down some cheese curds somewhere, it sounds totally foul but you guys eat it so how bad could it be :roll:

MetalMaidenMal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:18 am 

I watch a lot of British television because there's nothing good on in the States, and an expression that always throws me off is "Keep your pecker up." Apparently in the U.K. that's analogous to "keep your chin up" and it means to keep a positive attitude, but since in American slang "pecker" means "penis"... Well, it translates amusingly.

On a similar note, I'm fond of "bollocks" meaning "bullshit." It's just fun to say.

And people use "hella" here in Washington state.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:36 am 

is gumbo stew or something else?
it sounds like it's made by serial killers...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:22 am 

Aye, Metantoine is right. When they just grate normal cheese on it, not only does it not taste as good but it can't even be called poutine damn it! As for french swears, the ones he said are the most prominent, but I like some of the ones you hear rarely and mostly from old people like "sacrament" and "siboire". I use "maudit" sometimes too, which means damn.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:16 am 

dreadmeat wrote:

Ah, sweet, sweet gumbo. It is a stew, yes, but it's even thicker than that. It's hard to get really good gumbo around here. Anyway, you can read more about it here. It's super hearty, and has a lot of variation. It'd be perfect for a night like tonight; cold as hell and windy. It puts a fire in your belly that'll keep you going.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:05 am 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Porman wrote:
Malaka is similar to wanker, although it can be used in a friendly manner too. It can be used as a noun, verb and an adjective.

Ok cool thanks I feel less offended for sure. I always assumed it was more derogitory/vulgar than that.

No, we have far worse things to say than that... Swedish cursing is lame compared to anything from another country so I usually curse in Greek when I have to!

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:12 pm 

one more for nz

oh yeah ,but na

could mean yes or no

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:39 pm 

Hard Cheese - tough luck

okey dokey - ok

dead as a doornail - definately dead

shake a leg - get a move on

it's all Greek to me - haven't a clue

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:50 pm 

When I first moved to northeast Ohio, I heard the word "cornhole" frequently and always assumed it was some kind of kinky sex game. Actually, cornhole is a pretty popular game around here that's usually played at family gatherings and whatnot. Two wooden boards with holes cut out in them are propped up at an angle (like a ramp) a certain distance from each other, and two teams of players basically try to toss a beanbag through the holes of the other cornhole board. I wish I could say this part of Ohio is known for something more interesting, but we aren't. And I suck at cornhole, btw.

Another local slang I grew up around was (and forgive the misspelling) "Younse guys" instead of "You guys". My grandma on my mom's side still uses it every time I see her. It must be a West Virginian thing. Its kind of weird and I don't even...

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:29 pm 

napolean dynamyte "hey can i borrow your guyses phone?" :lol:

cornhole means that?! whoah, i always thought it meant arsehole.
i read or heard "sold, rolled and corn holed" somewhere and assumed it mean they got bought, flipped over and fucked in the arse :roll:

Last edited by dreadmeat on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:36 pm 

rooted - broken also tired
munted - broken
munter - metalhead [mildly derogatory]
pikelets - little pancakes
sammie/sammy - sandwich
broadband - adsl internet
bush - forest

our smallest coin here is 10 cents and our smallest note is $5

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:49 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
cornhole means that?! whoah, i always thought it mean arsehole.
i read or heard "sold, rolled and corn holed" somewhere and assumed it mean they got bought, flipped over and fucked in the arse :roll:

haha, Well I guess the word has multiple definitions. I have heard it used in the context you're describing. That's why I find it kind of funny that its also used in a more "innocent" manner.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:12 pm 

Quote:
On a similar note, I'm fond of "bollocks" meaning "bullshit." It's just fun to say.

Bollocks is a great word - primarily, it refers to ones testicles, just in case you didn't realise that part.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:21 pm 

White Hot - White hot dog found in Upstate, NY. Really good.
Chimo - Short for child molester.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:19 pm 

bassistneededlolnot wrote:

Another local slang I grew up around was (and forgive the misspelling) "Younse guys" instead of "You guys". My grandma on my mom's side still uses it every time I see her. It must be a West Virginian thing. Its kind of weird and I don't even...

It's common worldwide actually. English lacks a second-person plural form, but many other languages have it. So it's common in immigrant communities because it's quite logical to assume that the plural of you is youse. Really common in Irish communities worldwide. Wikipedia has this to say about it:

Informal plural forms

Because you is both singular and plural, people speaking various English dialects have attempted to revive the distinction between a singular and plural you by using slang to avoid confusion between the two uses. Examples of informal plurals sometimes seen and heard are:

y'all, or you all - southern United States[1] and African American Vernacular English
you guys - U.S.,[2] particularly in the Midwest, Northeast, and West Coast; Canada, Australia. Used regardless of the genders of those referred to
you lot - UK[3]
yous(e) - Ireland,[4] Tyneside,[5] Merseyside,[6] Central Scotland[7]
youse guys - in the U.S., particularly in New York City region, Philadelphia, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan; also spelt without the E
you-uns/yinz - Western Pennsylvania, The Appalachians[citation needed]
ye/yee/yees - Ireland,[8] Tyneside[9]

Although these plurals are used in daily speech, they are generally not considered acceptable in Standard English, nor in formal writing situations.

You is also unusual in that, being both singular and plural, it has two reflexive forms, yourself and yourselves. However, in recent years third person singular themself is sometimes seen (see singular they) in addition to the third person plural reflexive form themselves.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:28 pm 

Anyway, sadly a lot of Australian vernacular is dying out and rarely heard outside of old people and isolated country towns. This article goes into it a bit: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/ ... 48039.html

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:29 pm 

we say youse here too, not to be confused with ewes or use

youse cunts, plural ha ha ha :p

edit: i think we all need to say slag more

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:58 pm 

Everywhere you look your see "JERSEY STRONG" stickers, shirts etc. I find it kind of annoying usually, but after Sandy destroyed where I used to live, and a lot of my neighbors homes, I respect that saying now. Where I used to live was one of the hardest hit by Hurricane Sandy. People in the area really came together to help each other, in many ways. Now the saying has an all new meaning to me.

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:01 pm 

Gerry/Gerald - cop
Merk/Murk - murder

Yep.

MetalMaidenMal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:10 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
Bollocks is a great word - primarily, it refers to ones testicles, just in case you didn't realise that part.

I am aware. I keep meaning to work "The dog's bollocks" into my usual vocabulary. It's the dog's bollocks! Hehe. I have no idea why that means something is good, and my fellow Americans will give me some very odd looks, but again... Fun to say. I'm kind of a nerd for unusual words and phrases.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:53 pm 

I didn't want to do this to you guys, but you forced my hand.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:02 pm 

tinny/tinnie:
piece of tinfoil with weed in it, usually about $20 or $25
a can of beer
a small aluminium or 'tin' dinghy [boat]
also if a car or motorbike etc sounds a bit crappy or rough it sounds tinny
and if music is a bit 'high pitched' or thin it also sounds tinny

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:22 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
dreadmeat wrote:

Ah, sweet, sweet gumbo. It is a stew, yes, but it's even thicker than that. It's hard to get really good gumbo around here. Anyway, you can read more about it here. It's super hearty, and has a lot of variation. It'd be perfect for a night like tonight; cold as hell and windy. It puts a fire in your belly that'll keep you going.

Eh? Gumbo's a soup where I'm from.

I'm from an area known as "Cajun country", so lot of slang is French. But I'm not even going to try to spell any examples...
You hardly ever see anyone under 50 who can speak it other than curse words and such. It's sort of sad *Shakes fist in anger* Goddamn globalization.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:44 pm 

<=== no country in your profile :roll:

le fuck ha ha ha

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:46 pm 

@Void Apostle, blame Americanization and assimilation instead.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:50 pm 

I come from a hick area, so mostly our idiosyncracies are mispronunciation rather than strange terms (e.g. crick = creek, sawl = saw, up 'ere = up there, etc.).

I do know "yin's" is fairly unique to here, though. The South has "y'all," and southwestern Pennsylvania has "yin's." It means the same thing.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:38 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
tinny/tinnie:
piece of tinfoil with weed in it, usually about $20 or $25
a can of beer
a small aluminium or 'tin' dinghy [boat]
also if a car or motorbike etc sounds a bit crappy or rough it sounds tinny
and if music is a bit 'high pitched' or thin it also sounds tinny

Chur bro, the pigs snapped the tinny house, now Rangi's in Mount Eden!

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:55 pm 

^ Everyone pretending their version of English is special. It's not. :(

Don't be the guy who makes thread after thread on conlanging forums about how Wisconsin accents are really unique and interesting.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:00 am 

snapped or snapped out - caught, busted etc ha ha

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:02 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
Anyway, sadly a lot of Australian vernacular is dying out and rarely heard outside of old people and isolated country towns. This article goes into it a bit: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/ ... 48039.html

I hear possie, blue, a fat, and clapped out relatively frequently. To be honest, give it 30-50 years for current folk's parents to start dying out and Australian English will probably like revolve around clever variations and usages of "cunt".

Oh, and Straya!

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:07 am 

we definitely use these:
possie - eg a good fishing possie
blue - blunder
clapped out - rooted, fucked, broken

Straya is kind of new to me, i've never heard anyone say it here

ocker is a good one, someone back up there said it

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:14 am 

I don't think anybody uses ocker anymore... Straya is popular in Aus at the moment. STRAYA CUNT! is the overly-enthusiastic version of "Australia, mate!"

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next