Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:42 pm 

Again, I'm not exactly disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that racial profiling sometimes happens purely out of statistical necessity. It's also critical to note that often times race isn't the main reason someone is consistently targeted; typically, pull-overs are more based on income and presentation than melanin levels. A friend's father used to drive around in a beat-up 70's luxury vehicle and sported a scraggy, poorly-kempt mullet. Despite the fact he was (very) white, he was routinely pulled over by police and thoroughly searched every time, despite having never used drugs or even possessing a record. After he cut his hair and bought a Civic, he was never pulled over again. Conversely, a black-looking friend of mine (he's actually a prince from Qatar) drives around in a Lexus and dresses like the cover of a GQ magazine, and do you know how many times he's been hassled by police? Not even once.

I just think you're being a tad reductionist, is all. It's an awful lot more complex than the LEO just not liking particular skin colors.

I'd love to here from TheStormIRide on this issue. I have a feeling his insights would be far more valuable and accurate than our outside-looking-in idle speculation.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:10 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
I'm just saying that racial profiling sometimes happens purely out of statistical necessity.

Please elaborate.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:35 pm 

NYC's Stop and Frisk policy does pretty blatantly violate the 4th amendment. It also is pretty clearly racist. Blacks and latinos disproportionally get searched. There have been too many times that cops have been caught verbally assaulting minorities during stop and frisks to consider them isolated incidents. If I recall correctly, the original intent of these were to search for guns, but guns are actually found in a minuscule percentage of stop and frisks. I've also heard that cops would make them pull out the marijuana from their pockets because possession of marijuana is not a crime there but having it out in public is. I think police doing things like abusing loopholes like this in order to screw over citizens is why a lot of people hate cops. It goes against the spirit of the law and is obviously immoral.

Since my little stint at a music festival is over, I just applied to work at a mushroom farm!

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:17 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
NYC's Stop and Frisk policy does pretty blatantly violate the 4th amendment. It also is pretty clearly racist. Blacks and latinos disproportionally get searched. There have been too many times that cops have been caught verbally assaulting minorities during stop and frisks to consider them isolated incidents. If I recall correctly, the original intent of these were to search for guns, but guns are actually found in a minuscule percentage of stop and frisks. I've also heard that cops would make them pull out the marijuana from their pockets because possession of marijuana is not a crime there but having it out in public is. I think police doing things like abusing loopholes like this in order to screw over citizens is why a lot of people hate cops. It goes against the spirit of the law and is obviously immoral.

It's cops like this that give all of us a bad name. It's also cops that profile that give us a bad name as well. There are guys who frisk everyone, as if it were constitutionally justifiable. I can remember one time, when I was in training, that an older officer said, "Why the hell didn't you pat him down?" My response, "There was no mention of weapons in the dispatch. The incident involved no weapons. The guy we just talked isn't known for carrying much more than a pocket knife. It was not justifiable in the least bit." The older officer wasn't too happy with that, but nothing else was ever said about it. There ARE officers, and I know some of them, that do the rotten stop and frisk type moves, and I cannot stand it because it is an illegal search.

People tend to forget what Terry vs Ohio stands for (that's where "Terry Stop" or "Terry Frisk" comes from). It says that in certain situations when a reasonable officer believes that someone could have a weapon they can be patted down for weapons. Was a weapon mentioned by the victim? Was a weapon used in the crime? Do you see any indicators that a person who is carrying a weapon would normally make (grabbing waistband, shifting belt, hands constantly going pockets, etc.)? If you don't have a justifiable reason for a pat down, you can't do it. There's officers that do a pat down and bring out a small bag of weed or something and say that they knew it was weed because of how it felt in their pocket. I can believe, and have personally felt, pipes and that sort of thing in someone's pocket, but unless it's a pretty heft bag of weed, it doesn't feel like much.

I know, I know, dreadfully off topic. Onto the topic of racial profiling. I don't profiling is a huge issue where I'm at. The minority population is fairly low, with less than 1% Hispanic population and probably around 10% black population. Like I said, we routinely use things like "Black male, height, weight, clothing description." So I know if someone just robbed a 7-11 and we have a description, you better believe I'm stopping everything that is even close to the description given. If I know a black male robbed a store, I have no problem stopping any black male I see until I get a better description. In the same token, if a white guy just stabbed someone in a bar fight and is driving a silver Honda, I'm stopping every silver Honda I see. It's more like going off of descriptions rather than profiling.

As far as just randomly stopping certain people because of their color, I know it gets done, but most smaller departments don't do it. If I'm working midnight shift, I'll stop someone if they're walking in a high crime area at 3AM, regardless of their color. That doesn't mean I'm going to shake them down and all that. I'm just trying to get names in case any crimes get reported. Later, I can say, "Hey, this guy was walking past that house about 10 minutes before that burglary got reported."

I for one think profiling is wrong and that's why there are laws and departmental procedures aimed to stop it. As far as officers selecting certain races to conduct these searches, if they're doing they don't deserve to wear a badge. Same thing goes for the one abusing some loophole, especially for petty arrests. I figure, all I can do is try to be one of the good ones.

And in PA, where I work, possession of a small amount (under 30g) of marijuana is still a crime. A misdemeanor to boot.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:22 pm 

And to deal with the nicer car issue... If you're driving a nicer, newer car with no equipment violations, you're less likely to be pulled over. If you're driving a car with a taillight out and a loud exhaust, you'll probably get stopped more. A lot of officers (especially newer officers looking for numbers or whatever) will pull over any type of violation they see. There are some that think a traffic stop is the way into something bigger, like drug interdiction. So a guy driving a beat up Camaro that's missing a grill and blowing black smoke is more likely to be pulled over than a shiny, off the lot SUV.

If someone is running speed (VASCAR, radar or ENRAD) there is no way to tell what color the person is, especially at night time. Cars go past so fast that you just about have to time get the speed, type and color before you need to pull into traffic and try to catch up. If someone is profiling while running speed, I wish I had their perception and reaction time.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:27 pm 

So... some of you guys probably remember me bitching about my landscaping job in this thread a couple of months ago. The crack-addicted business owner ended up firing me, despite all of the supervisors who have worked with me protesting his decision. Anyway, I signed up with a temp agency last week and they placed me with a recycling center where I've been sorting different types of METAL for the past few days. I received a call from my "agent" today who told me she passed my personal information onto some firm out in Oklahoma that does background checks for employers. Apparently, my social security number traces back to a "David Alderman"...

Short version: my fucking identity was stolen :brick:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:38 pm 

Elizabeth never sent you the $3.7 million, did she? :(

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:45 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Elizabeth never sent you the $3.7 million, did she? :(

I certainly have never fallen for any of those chain-email scams. Either one of my previous employers sold my social security number to some pathetic fuck, or I had a trojan virus on my computer at some point while I was filling out job applications online. I always thought it was ridiculous how most companies nowadays MAKE you submit an online application rather than a physical one; and how online applications require you to provide your SSN.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:02 pm 

Razakel & Al came here for another night of BBQ, sauna & beer. What fine fellows they were! The just-past-midnight chorus of "Happy Birthday to You" to mark our eldest's 14th birthday sounded better than anything I could have provided. She is sorta shy, but I think it hit the mark in this case. Thank you guys!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:39 pm 

bassistneededlolnot wrote:
I certainly have never fallen for any of those chain-email scams. Either one of my previous employers sold my social security number to some pathetic fuck, or I had a trojan virus on my computer at some point while I was filling out job applications online. I always thought it was ridiculous how most companies nowadays MAKE you submit an online application rather than a physical one; and how online applications require you to provide your SSN.

Actually it's much more likely that one of the job applications you filled out was just a phishing thing rather than getting a trojan. I read somewhere that something like up to 70% of all online job listings are utterly fake and just used to scam you or spam you. Every time in my recent life that I've had to go on a job hunt, the amount of spam/scam attempts I receive goes up by a huge amount after filling out online job applications, and that's even with me taking a lot of care to make sure shit is legitimate. It's always a good idea to Google the company, compare URL's that the job listing sends you to vs. the actual company's URL, check that company's employment section of their website to see if the job is listed there, too, etc.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:04 pm 

Yeah, last time I was on a serious job search it was really laughable and pitiful how many of the job listings were bullshit scams. It's demoralizing enough knowing how few good jobs are out there, let alone having to navigate through that kind of crap to scrabble for those few opportunities.

Good to see you back on the boards, batman! You're a posting force these days, dare I say a whirlwind.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:08 pm 

Well, that's because I'm also currently on the job hunt, hah. Hopefully wherever I wind up will be the sort of place where I can wear headphones and post on the forum. A man can dream...

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:10 pm 

I had a job like that once (I believe I was actually at it when I first signed up for the forum), but in fact it was the worst job I have ever had. Go figure! Ah, life is hell.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:10 pm 

Does anybody know if roundabouts in the U.S. create a marked improvement in traffic flow? They keep popping up everywhere I go. There at least 10 new ones in my county that weren't there 7 years ago. I understand what they're supposed to do, but I really do wonder if they are effective.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:11 pm 

Every job hunt I've ever gone on has failed miserably. There's just no job market outside of slave work in fast food joints up here, and even then those places never respond.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:15 pm 

TheRealThing wrote:
Does anybody know if roundabouts in the U.S. create a marked improvement in traffic flow? They keep popping up everywhere I go. There at least 10 new ones in my county that weren't there 7 years ago. I understand what they're supposed to do, but I really do wonder if they are effective.

They are. We have them everywhere here, and they do make a significant improvement to how a four way intersection can work, providing that drivers are aware of how to use them properly.

My collection

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:31 pm 

It's surprising how hard it is for people to grasp roundabouts. I was with my mom today and we went through a double-roundabout with two lanes. I had to keep telling her what to do and pointing at the painted directions on the asphalt. On a semi-related note, she rarely drives with more than one car-length between her and the car in front of her. It frightens me a bit.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:40 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
dystopia4 wrote:
As much as I love my poutine, I need to have this. Seriously, how could this exist without my knowledge?

I feel extremely sheltered. I've never heard of any of this, but I definitely want to try it now. I highly doubt any places serve that around my neck of the woods, though.

It's a bit of an Adelaide specialty. Specifically from two burger joints about 10m away from each other on the same street. Most Australians don't even know of the horror spawned there.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:51 pm 

Observe my signature and read this epic: http://webspace.webring.com/people/du/u ... /zork.html

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:35 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Observe my signature and read this epic: http://webspace.webring.com/people/du/u ... /zork.html

Would an orc crush a wolf? That was my first question.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:37 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Observe my signature (Orcs using anything they can get their hands on for krumping)

Coming from a 40k frame of mind, I find that all the more true.

Loot dis shit!

Spoiler: show

Edit: TheRealThing, I just noticed how similar our signatures are.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:15 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:

It's cops like this that give all of us a bad name. It's also cops that profile that give us a bad name as well. There are guys who frisk everyone, as if it were constitutionally justifiable. I can remember one time, when I was in training, that an older officer said, "Why the hell didn't you pat him down?" My response, "There was no mention of weapons in the dispatch. The incident involved no weapons. The guy we just talked isn't known for carrying much more than a pocket knife. It was not justifiable in the least bit." The older officer wasn't too happy with that, but nothing else was ever said about it. There ARE officers, and I know some of them, that do the rotten stop and frisk type moves, and I cannot stand it because it is an illegal search.

People tend to forget what Terry vs Ohio stands for (that's where "Terry Stop" or "Terry Frisk" comes from). It says that in certain situations when a reasonable officer believes that someone could have a weapon they can be patted down for weapons. Was a weapon mentioned by the victim? Was a weapon used in the crime? Do you see any indicators that a person who is carrying a weapon would normally make (grabbing waistband, shifting belt, hands constantly going pockets, etc.)? If you don't have a justifiable reason for a pat down, you can't do it. There's officers that do a pat down and bring out a small bag of weed or something and say that they knew it was weed because of how it felt in their pocket. I can believe, and have personally felt, pipes and that sort of thing in someone's pocket, but unless it's a pretty heft bag of weed, it doesn't feel like much.

I know, I know, dreadfully off topic. Onto the topic of racial profiling. I don't profiling is a huge issue where I'm at. The minority population is fairly low, with less than 1% Hispanic population and probably around 10% black population. Like I said, we routinely use things like "Black male, height, weight, clothing description." So I know if someone just robbed a 7-11 and we have a description, you better believe I'm stopping everything that is even close to the description given. If I know a black male robbed a store, I have no problem stopping any black male I see until I get a better description. In the same token, if a white guy just stabbed someone in a bar fight and is driving a silver Honda, I'm stopping every silver Honda I see. It's more like going off of descriptions rather than profiling.

As far as just randomly stopping certain people because of their color, I know it gets done, but most smaller departments don't do it. If I'm working midnight shift, I'll stop someone if they're walking in a high crime area at 3AM, regardless of their color. That doesn't mean I'm going to shake them down and all that. I'm just trying to get names in case any crimes get reported. Later, I can say, "Hey, this guy was walking past that house about 10 minutes before that burglary got reported."

I for one think profiling is wrong and that's why there are laws and departmental procedures aimed to stop it. As far as officers selecting certain races to conduct these searches, if they're doing they don't deserve to wear a badge. Same thing goes for the one abusing some loophole, especially for petty arrests. I figure, all I can do is try to be one of the good ones.

And in PA, where I work, possession of a small amount (under 30g) of marijuana is still a crime. A misdemeanor to boot.

I read this (http://archive.org/details/Arrest-proofYourself) a few months ago and I'd be interested to get your opinion. It's written by a former DA and is, as the title suggests, a guide to avoiding being hassled by the cops. Some of it is really common sense (leave your drugs at home, drive a decent car and dont drive around with 4 guys in it) but a lot of it seems really extreme. Advising people to to walk anywhere because walking is "suspicious". WTF?

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:07 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
I read this (http://archive.org/details/Arrest-proofYourself) a few months ago and I'd be interested to get your opinion. It's written by a former DA and is, as the title suggests, a guide to avoiding being hassled by the cops. Some of it is really common sense (leave your drugs at home, drive a decent car and dont drive around with 4 guys in it) but a lot of it seems really extreme. Advising people to to walk anywhere because walking is "suspicious". WTF?

I skimmed through a bit, but a lot of that seems over the top. It's not like the author is granting any super valuable insight that no one knows about. Common sense is something that a lot of people don't have though. You're more likely to get a ticket or get arrested for a petty offense if you're a dick than if you're polite and respectful.

To specifically address your issue of not walking... walking during daylight hours downtown is one thing, but walking through a high crime area at 3AM will probably raise some hairs. As the book states, proactive policing is all the rage now: traffic stops, field contacts (stopping someone who is walking), etc. It not only can lead to bigger things, it looks good to someone's supervisor.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:09 am 

:o

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:12 am 

Ho lee fuk that's amazing. The fake names that is. Not the teen that got run over by the fire truck

Seriously, that has to be the best joke of the year.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:27 am 

Wilytank wrote:
Edit: TheRealThing, I just noticed how similar our signatures are.

Yeah, I knew someone had something similar when I threw it in my signature... I just couldn't remember who! But the idea of "nu-core" sounded so fucking asinine that I figured it was signature-worthy.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:54 am 

deathmetal.org wrote:
What happened was that black metal ran out of ideas, and death metal ran out of energy, in about 1995 or 1998 depending on who you talk to. What came after that was metalcore and nu-metal, which are so close in compositional style — both very much closer to rock than metal — that we group them together as nu-core.

Repeating things from deathmetal.org is literally the only thing he ever does.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:20 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Hopefully wherever I wind up will be the sort of place where I can wear headphones and post on the forum. A man can dream...

I must be living the dream then ;) sorry don't mean to brag but it is awesome listening to music all day at work :lol:

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:23 am 

TheRealThing wrote:
You know what I can't fucking stand? People who don't rotate stock. I've worked in the grocery businesses since I was 15, and throughout all those years only 10% of employees have really given a shit. Company-wide, we lose hundreds of labor hours per year having people fix poorly-rotated stock, and we lose thousands of dollars per year to shrink due to poor rotation. I just don't get it. It's simple. Old in front, new in back. I probably just sound like a curmudgeon or something.

I'm gonna assume that the disease known as don't-give-a-fuck is still in circulation, because its what I had when I worked for utter peanuts in a faceless and soulless temple of capitalism. I know that its not especially difficult to rotate stock but its a whole lot easier to simply chuck shit in what looks like the closest appropriate place. My philosophy behind it was pretty minimal but revolved around the concept of not caring one iota whether someone purchased something going out-of-date in either a year, a month or a negative number. Pay me more and I'll care; pay me next to nothing and that's what you get.

I have been fired several times in case you were wondering. ;)

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:04 am 

SadisticGratification wrote:
I must be living the dream then ;) sorry don't mean to brag but it is awesome listening to music all day at work :lol:

Lucky you, the pickup I use for work doesn't even have a damn cd player in it

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:54 am 

Marag wrote:
Lucky you, the pickup I use for work doesn't even have a damn cd player in it

The older Crown Victoria cruisers we drive never had CD players, so I used an FM modulator. Not the greatest sound quality but it beats local radio.

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:16 pm 

Napero wrote:
Da Bomb Ground Zero. Yeah, I know, you probably had spoonfuls of it in every bottle of your baby formula, and regularly use it as a tanning lotion for your tongue, but for me it's quite hot enough.

Never even heard of it. Is it just hot or does it also have flavour?

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:33 pm 

crises79 wrote:
Napero wrote:
Da Bomb Ground Zero. Yeah, I know, you probably had spoonfuls of it in every bottle of your baby formula, and regularly use it as a tanning lotion for your tongue, but for me it's quite hot enough.

Never even heard of it. Is it just hot or does it also have flavour?

Oh, it does. Nice stuff, I don't personally care much for the sauces that only have napalm in them. This one is rather good.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:48 pm 

I may be late to the party but anybody else hear the new Pearl Jam single? I have to admit it caught me by surprise. Very fast for PJ with some obvious punk influence. I quite like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhODYyZVL6Y

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:27 pm 

I really liked that. I'd listen to the rest of the album if it ends up sounding like that.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:51 pm 

Oh cool, thanks for sharing! Subrick, you should check their latest album Backspacer, the whole album is quite fast (and get the CD if you can, the artwork and package is simply awesome). Love me some Pearl Jam! Damn, it's been already 4 years since their previous album, I remember getting the album...

They always had some quite fast tracks like on their self titled.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:14 pm 

This song is pretty cool. Reminds me of stuff like "Spin the Black Circle" or "Lukin."

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:37 pm 

Oh wow, metantoine, I haven't delved deep into PJ beyond radio staples so I had no idea they had some fast, and heavy material in their past like the above song. I thought this was as heavy as they went, I always liked this one though:
Sick video!

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:48 pm 

Acoustic Anathema yesterday was absolutely awesome, and also I got to talk to Vincent again - and I absolutely haven't changed my mind that he's one of the coolest guys I've ever had a chance to meet and the definition of what I consider an artist.

= MORE ANATHEMA LISTENING IN THE FOLLOWING DAYS

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:22 pm 

Speaking of Anathema's acoustic work, is it just me or is Falling Deeper one of the most underrated 'remake' albums of all time? And I thought Hindsight would hold that title into the next century...

Just an incredible band.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191 ... 518  Next