Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:14 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
So it's been raining and storming for about two solid days here. I'm good because my house is on a pretty big hill, but the rest of town wasn't so lucky. I swear to god, this is happening outside a friend's house right now:

That's awesome :lol: . It hasn't flooded to bad up by me (Schaumburg) but at my work in Bensenville we get mega floods when it rains like this, today we had about 4ft of standing water in our parking lot and the street was washed out and that's not even that bad. A few years ago our dumpsters wound up on a 5ft hill across the street.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:36 pm 

whoa crazy - you should probably stay inside and listen to Sunderland's new drone album....

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:43 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Junk food is cheap, so that's another aspect. It's part of the reason why obesity is mainly a lower-middle-class problem nowadays.
Actually, most junk food isn't even that cheap, but it's omnipresent on television, today's opium for the low-income masses.

Additionally, it isn't even JUST junk food. It's all processed food using shit product and low-cost sweeteners. Corn syrup isn't recognized by your body the same way cane sugar is, so while your tongue registers something sweet, the rest of your metabolism doesn't really get the memo that a crap load of syrup is in you, so you don't get the same "that's enough for now or I'm gonna puke" feeling as with cane sugar. That's one reason people can drink 2L of soda without really blinking, despite the RETARDED Gs OF SUGARS!! Holy fuck read the label. And for those who don't know, I've made fake blood with corn syrup for the base, and that shit is like plastic wax. Unbelievably disgusting. It has to be processed at enormous cost from the inedible fields, but because of the subsidies, can be sold really fucking cheaply and the costs offset elsewhere. "Cheap" in this sense is not because it's cheap to make. It's made to be cheap.

As well, even in the best of circumstances obesity is a direct result of lack of exercise. Considering how many processed carbs and corn syrup the general population eats (and it's in basically fucking everything, not just the cheap shit), not to mention the fatty bullshit that feed-lot beef has become due to the high-volume corn feed, it's not just a low-middle class problem at all. It's a plague, pure and simple. A government-sponsored plague. I'm not even running off at the mouth here. One word: Monsanto (aka Soilent Corp.)

On the matter of the beef, the corn feed started getting used because the cattle hit market weight sooner than grass-fed. But imagine a fat person weighing 350 lbs as opposed to a football player of 350 lbs who trains and lifts weights every day. Sure some football players (and sumo wrestlers) are fat, but even a sumo wrestler trains for hours a day as opposed to sitting at a desk eating a corn burger for lunch and then going home, sitting down more and eating more carbs. It's fucking nauseating.

edit: for the history and some context of industrial corn, watch King Corn.

Last edited by Grave_Wyrm on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:47 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:52 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
So it's been raining and storming for about two solid days here. I'm good because my house is on a pretty big hill, but the rest of town wasn't so lucky. I swear to god, this is happening outside a friend's house right now:

The guy on the boat looks like Stallman. Maybe.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:00 pm 

:lol: this is just glorious.

Also, 2000 posts. I should slow down a bit.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:35 pm 

hey wrote:
The guy on the boat looks like Stallman. Maybe.

Richard Stallman has greying hair. That guys is obviously brown.

Last edited by ~Guest 132892 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:41 pm 

Gene?

And yeah, the guy would obviously look quite a bit different than Richard Stallman if the picture was a bit clearer. Though, as it is, I'd just had a gut-reaction that the guy looked similar to how he looked a couple of years ago (I probably haven't seen really recent pictures of him since he's not really of any interest to me).

I'm probably just being silly.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:47 pm 

Inhumanist: That was as entertaining as it was silly! :lol: It sure reminded me of Zelkiiro's custom title - "Pounding the world with a fish of steel"

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:54 pm 

Marag wrote:
Being a teacher sounds like a fucking tough job. I'd rather have to tame a bunch starved, angry lions than deal with school age children and teens.

Because then you will have a way to deal with any future school age children and teens? :evil:

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:58 pm 

hey wrote:
And yeah, the guy would obviously look quite a bit different than Richard Stallman if the picture was a bit clearer. Though, as it is, I'd just had a gut-reaction that the guy looked similar to how he looked a couple of years ago (I probably haven't seen really recent pictures of him since he's not really of any interest to me).

I'm probably just being silly.

Your right it is Richard. I dunno where I got gene from :|

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:14 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
:lol: this is just glorious.

Glorious as well: Zombin Laden - the axis of evil dead

What a pity that's just a fake trailer :(
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:47 pm 

So the new Black Sabbath single God Is Dead? is streaming. Only about halfway through it but I really, really like it so far.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:14 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95959&start=280

See here.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:28 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
the_raytownian wrote:

It ain't easy being fat and gay. Shit is like oil and water.
Fags can be viscous for real, honey-child.

Lose some weight, tubby!

It's not that easy, bruv. I've tried (like, a minimum of 30 minutes of walking every day for at least 2 months on different occasions--I admit, I got burned out and gave up on that entirely, but it's not like I haven't ever made the effort), but there's a lot of factors involved in why I haven't been able to.

Living in the suburbs means walking the same fucking routes every day. It just became so mind-numbingly monotonous that I couldn't even bring myself to do it anymore, even when I listened to music. Social anxiety doesn't help at all, either. I had to walk at 4 AM for a long time just to deal with that + I am too self-conscious to be the fat fuck on a treadmill (which gets even more boring than walking my neighborhood).

I know that's largely "my problem", but I'm really not that lazy... I just basically stay at home because I fail to overcome my social anxiety issues (yeah, I've whined about this lots, so I know it's redundant)... Plus, I like to eat. I can admit that much is all on me (AND SOCIETY!!!). I really like cooking/eating, and I use food as a source of comfort for just about every single negative emotion (you should all know by now that those are the only kinds of emotions I experience).

Well, I am supposed to have a job as a janitor in the local school system (I went thru a voc. rehab thing to help me get it, but I don't know when I am technically supposed to begin work), so that should keep me on my feet and moving around, which is a good thing. I'm pretty jazzed about it (thankthelardipassedmydrugtestipromisetostaycleannow).

Hopefully I can at least start buying my own food soon. I love junk food, yes, but I also love "healthy stuff"... I really just like food in general. :drool:

(so many fucking parentheses in this post)

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:30 pm 

Have some of you heard of Ingress? It's an android platform game. From what little I could make out, it seems like a collaborative-mystery-augmented-reality sorta game. It seems interesting if you have time to kill. Also, one needs an invite for this (which I don't have and need). Check the trailer out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 2rYjlxqypM
http://www.ingress.com/

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:33 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Video of the explosion that just happened in Texas, man that looks big.

Wow... oh my god!
That is pretty fucking insane.

Never would've thought it could be that powerful... took me by surprise (I thought the blaze at the beginning was the worst of it).

And the kid's all deaf and freaking out... Shit. It happened so fast, too.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:34 pm 

raytownian: Run around your house, or even just back in forth in your bedroom, for 10 minutes straight once a day. Play some music that gets you excited and makes you want to move around. The only exercise I get is basically that and rocking out, though I plan to re-start my minor exercise routine soon as well.
Hehe, foreskins.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:35 pm 

@Ray: As if walking at 4 am isn't the best thing ever, anyways.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:36 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Storm: yeah, I knew it was a demanding profession and I wasn't going there to be a lazy sloth! Is your wife a high school teacher?

Elementary art teacher... She has roughly 500 students a year...

Edit:

The more I think about it, the more I realize my wife and I have very similar jobs. Like I said before, I just deal with the adult versions of these spastic kids. Note to all those looking to the future for jobs: stay away from teaching and law enforcement. Both jobs have high levels of stress and are usually low paying. Go to school to be something that makes a lot of money and do what you like as a hobby.

Last edited by TheStormIRide on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:38 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Have some of you heard of Ingress? It's an android platform game. From what little I could make out, it seems like a collaborative-mystery-augmented-reality sorta game. It seems interesting if you have time to kill. Also, one needs an invite for this (which I don't have and need). Check the trailer out.

I play Ingress, it's not too competitive around here as each cluster of portals tends to be held by one side, but I'm slowly making my way around there area as I happen to be in different places and expanding my turf. I have 20 portals in the historic district near me linked together and I'm working on turning the whole town blue, it's just that a lot of the portals are not exactly convenient to go to.

...and of course, I'm playing Resistance. Playing Enlightened is like preferring European power metal over American power metal.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:42 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
@Ray: As if walking at 4 am isn't the best thing ever, anyways.

haha... it was fun for a while, but... ugh. trust me, it gets old here. There's only one area I enjoy in the park (I walk through it on one of my 2 30-min. routes), but it's only a small fraction of my route.... It's a small wooded area that leads to the road. it can sometimes be really eerie.

As for the room thing, I was doing shit in my room for a while. I could probably start again. Mostly just light-moderate aerobics and light weight-lifting exercises. It's really cluttered, though.... now I'm just making excuses.

mindshadow wrote:
The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
I think we can agree that obesity is nothing to be proud of. It's a medical problem--an illness--at best

inhumanist wrote:
I'd probably have weight problems in no time as well. Also I mostly steer clear of junk food. But Junk food is cheap, so that's another aspect. It's part of the reason why obesity is mainly a lower-middle-class problem nowadays.

same here, we all(?) have emotional crutches, the result of eating lots just can't be hidden so well as ... buying too many metal cds :)

:ugh:

I'm surprised there hasn't been an episode on Hoarders about a CD/vinyl collector... or has there?
PS: Retail therapy is my other weakness! Good day? Bad day? buy some records or buy some gear!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:50 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I realize my wife and I have very similar jobs. Like I said before, I just deal with the adult versions of these spastic kids. Note to all those looking to the future for jobs: stay away from teaching and law enforcement. Both jobs have high levels of stress and are usually low paying. Go to school to be something that makes a lot of money and do what you like as a hobby.

Also don't just take a job that pays you lots of money for the sake of making lots of money. Find something that makes you happy instead. If I could afford it I would totally quit my job and find something that was way easier and that made me happy even if it paid $20-30,000 less a year. But like I said I took a job for the money and now I'm stuck and miserable, well mostly miserable.

Azmodes wrote:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:03 pm 

I don't care about the money (well, I do but the salary I'll get is enough for what I intent to be), I care about being a difference in the lives of some people, and having a 80,000 job when I'll be 40 or so sounds good to me. But I'm mostly becoming a teacher to do something I like and share my passion for the social sciences. Also having 2 months of vacations during the summer means I could travel and meet all the nice people of M-A!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:19 pm 

Yeah I've been giving some considerable thought to becoming a teacher when I get enough time at my current job to earn a pension. I just started working on getting my 2 year degree this year so hopefully I can get that taken care of in about 4 years or so. Like I said I would much rather make less money and be happier than the other way around.

Azmodes wrote:

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:34 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I don't care about the money (well, I do but the salary I'll get is enough for what I intent to be), I care about being a difference in the lives of some people, and having a 80,000 job when I'll be 40 or so sounds good to me. But I'm mostly becoming a teacher to do something I like and share my passion for the social sciences. Also having 2 months of vacations during the summer means I could travel and meet all the nice people of M-A!

At one point in time, I wanted to be a math teacher, but I've put that behind me. I'd certainly like to teach English in another country though, and I've been researching how to do that. Seems remarkably simple for someone with the right training and a lot of patience and flexibility. The idea of getting to live and work in a completely alien culture has always been interesting to me.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:39 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
shouvince wrote:

I play Ingress, it's not too competitive around here as each cluster of portals tends to be held by one side, but I'm slowly making my way around there area as I happen to be in different places and expanding my turf. I have 20 portals in the historic district near me linked together and I'm working on turning the whole town blue, it's just that a lot of the portals are not exactly convenient to go to.

...and of course, I'm playing Resistance. Playing Enlightened is like preferring European power metal over American power metal.

Ah so my post wasn't in vain after all. That sounds cool Zodi. I requested for an invite few hours ago and when I do get a chance, I will join the Underground Resistance. The Enlightened sound too uppity to me.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:44 pm 

Oops. Posted this in the video game thread by accident:
Any Daft Punk fans on MA? Their new single is out. It sounds like they might be going back to their old, funkier sound.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:21 pm 

Told my supervisor about something a co-worker did which was inexcusable today and I didn't care that I did it in front of some others and one asked me why I snitched on him. Loyalty between co-workers is important but there is a threshold where you can't keep quiet about due to loyalty for the company itself and integrity and I don't regret being so open about it. Tomorrow is going to be interesting.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:30 pm 

Well don't just keep the juicy details to yourself after teasing us like that! Dish dish diiiish!
Hehe, foreskins.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:35 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Told my supervisor about something a co-worker did which was inexcusable today...

Crick wrote:
Well don't just keep the juicy details to yourself after teasing us like that! Dish dish diiiish!

Seriously. Out with it!

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:42 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Told my supervisor about something a co-worker did which was inexcusable today and I didn't care that I did it in front of some others and one asked me why I snitched on him. Loyalty between co-workers is important but there is a threshold where you can't keep quiet about due to loyalty for the company itself and integrity and I don't regret being so open about it. Tomorrow is going to be interesting.

A safety issue?

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:13 pm 

Nothing so major but we have one guy who is fighting back cause he is angry that he can't get a raise and feels the company screws over the employees etc etc. He has the biggest anger issues out of anyone I have met and he has been suspended twice, as in sent home for the day a couple times in the past month or so. He even cursed out our supervisor's boss whom is also our main boss the other day when he was being sent home. We deliver building materials, mostly doors, house trim, windows etc. He was with one guy and had a trim and door package to a small house and called in asking for help. It was towards the end of the day and so 4 of us were sent out in a pick up to help and it was about a 30 minute drive. We get there and have to wait for him for 20 mins as he went to the next stop on the route, and then he backed right up to the garage of the house and even if he had to carry it from the road it was a starter home with a small package so he didn't need any help. We only ever call in for help when it is something way to heavy for 2 people to carry or we have to carry a lot of stuff a long way. One co-worker which is one of my favorite guys there in front of a bunch of people asked me why I snitched on him as he was with us out there so tomorrow should be interesting.

I am the nephew of the owners of the company and have been there for 2 and a half years and never snitched on anyone and I have seen some stuff that could warrant it but nothing major I see as a direct act against the company and I have earned people's respect as I work hard, and only this one guy with anger issues has ever said anything about me getting special treatment just cause of his own personal issues and he has some huge ones that frustrate him that I have opportunities he was never given. I don't want the reputation of a snitch and I hope other co-workers will have my back on this but I guess I will have to see what happens. He could get fired over this with all the problems he has lately with management.

Last edited by AcidWorm on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:14 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
AcidWorm wrote:

A safety issue?

Don't be silly nobody cares about employee safety anymore.

Azmodes wrote:

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:25 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Unfortunately my wife will top out at about 55k to 60k. I'll top out somewhere around 70k or so, depending on how high I get promoted throughout the years. Both of us have the so called "noble" professions, but, at least in my area, there's not too much money in either field.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:29 am 

http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/1 ... of_boston/

Shootings at both MIT campus and Watertown, Massachusetts, with explosions happening at the latter due to what seems to be makeshift grenades.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:58 am 

Subrick wrote:
http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/1cnwms/mods_removed_thread_live_updates_of_boston/

Shootings at both MIT campus and Watertown, Massachusetts, with explosions happening at the latter due to what seems to be makeshift grenades.

I still can't believe all this shit happened after an officer got shot at MIT.
AND the two suspects they they caught turned out to be unrelated to the situation. Fuck, even the spanish news is covering this story in California. :o

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:35 am 

I've been listening to the radio on this. Apparently these are the marathon bombers who were involved at MIT. One is allegedly dead, the other is still on the loose. Bombs have been laid in different places. The assumption appears to be that they might have been planning something at MIT and were caught by the campus police officer they shot. The media is about to be briefed...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:08 am 

I'm reading articles that say police advised citizens to turn off their cell phones. Uhhh why? :confused:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Errebuss
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:15 am 

^Cell phone signals were supposedly used to detonate the two bombs in Boston and they've found more bombs tonight.

I don't know how it really works, but I'm guessing it's just a safety precaution.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 518  Next