Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:39 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
It makes me miss the Jodi Arias coverage.

I did miss the Jodi Arias coverage. It was glorious. I also missed most of what's her name who killed her physically defective kid down in Florida. I did not miss the OJ trial. You win some, you lose some.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:44 am 

And the Scott Peterson trial was intersting.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:45 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Oops, my mistake. Conservationism vacillates wildly between Opposite Land and False Dichotomy Kingdom; so much so, they've considered constructing a high-speed rail between the two.

Just put this clown on ignore. A worthless trolls' posts are not worth the time.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:58 am 

Bezerko wrote:
failsafeman wrote:
White people have never been the victims of systemic racism in the same way black people have. Minorities are routinely racially profiled by the police, and if you're seriously suggesting that calling someone a "cracker" (an utterly harmless term) is on the same level as racial profiling, then you're an idiot.

Racism is racism dude. Yeah some people get it worse than others (obviously), but that doesn't excuse it.

Double standards - they're awesome right?

No, but apparently false equivalence is.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:10 am 

<failsafeman> right now i am literally more excited about eating poutine in montreal than seeing manilla road
<iamntbatman> man i want to eat poutine and drink a margarita

ASSIMILATION COMPLETE!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:13 am 

I swear I'm going to Canada just to eat poutine. It looks like pure garbage nutritionally, but delicious!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:22 am 

So, in November, my friend and I are going to see Nile. This is going to be the first gig I've ever went to, so I want to make sure I'll be able to enjoy the damn thing, and since he, in his infinite wisdom, is shunning the idea of hearing protection, I'll have to ask you guys. What's some decent quality ear protection suitable for a death metal show that is preferably on the cheap side of things?

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:25 am 

Oh Mikey you poor, innocent soul. Why go all the way to Canada for poutine when you can just go to Adelaide for an AB?

That my friends is chips (fries for you Americans), kebab meat (chicken, beef, lamb, or all!) and tomato sauce/ketchup, BBQ sauce, garlic sauce and sweet chilli sauce.

AKA someone shit a kebab with all the sauces onto a plate of chips. Then drunk uni students decided it was a great idea. Only in SA.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:27 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Oh Mikey you poor, innocent soul. Why go all the way to Canada for poutine when you can just go to Adelaide for an AB?
Spoiler: show

That my friends is chips (fries for you Americans), kebab meat (chicken, beef, lamb, or all!) and tomato sauce/ketchup, BBQ sauce, garlic sauce and sweet chilli sauce.

AKA someone shit a kebab with all the sauces onto a plate of chips. Then drunk uni students decided it was a great idea. Only in SA.

Looks divine!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:35 am 

Another reason to visit Adelaide... That looks good.

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
So, in November, my friend and I are going to see Nile. This is going to be the first gig I've ever went to, so I want to make sure I'll be able to enjoy the damn thing, and since he, in his infinite wisdom, is shunning the idea of hearing protection, I'll have to ask you guys. What's some decent quality ear protection suitable for a death metal show that is preferably on the cheap side of things?

I'll be going to this, too - the Melbourne show is in a rather small venue, so should be interesting. Anywho. I just buy the cheap, disposable ones you get at the chemist - not the cheapest, those things in cardboard packs (given that you're in Australia, too, I'm assuming you may find the same kind), but the ones that go for around $5 a pair. They've served me well through years and years of gigs (though you should eventually get better ones once you have the money and know what you're looking for).

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:48 am 

Belenos is some damn good one man BM.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:59 am 

First post after getting back from some Godforsaken shit-hole south east of Melbourne (work related nonsense - 1000klm of driving! :grr: :fuck: ), and was inspired by the "Random Band" almost game a couple of pages back, and hit this gem:

The band is Angel Dissection :roll:

:lol:

Jesus Christ! Soooo spooky.

My collection

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:08 am 

While there's a lot that's wrong with that photo, it would still be like 50 times better if they simply slapped tossed a grayscale filter on it and maybe added a film grain effect or something.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:12 am 

Maybe. But it would still only elevate it to "utter crap" level.

My collection

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:14 am 

I dunno. Looks decent now.

Hehe, foreskins.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:22 am 

I don't know... The guy on top of the tombstone looks less like an overweight goth trying to practice his 'sexy face' with that filter, and the other two look less... well... jarring, but they're still utterly hilarious. No filter could fix those poses.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:25 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Belenos is some damn good one man BM.

The sophomore is, yeah. While the debut is pretty decent, I can't really enjoy the later albums.

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:27 am 

Bezerko wrote:

That's what we in The Netherlands call a Kapsalon (Barber shop). Originated (according to legend) in a Turkish barber shop where the customers didn't want multiple plates when waiting for their treatments, on account of there being no tables, in Rotterdam.
Probably some Dutch exchange student brought the idea over. ;)

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:31 am 

We had Razakel and his two friends over in our place yesterday, and since DeathRiderDoom is turning into a permanent part of our furniture, we had a pretty good evening with BBQ and sauna, and maybe three or four beers each. Canadians seem to be nice people, the amount of apologizing was incredible.

Also, Razakel's younger friend will, I think, take warnings on hot sauces a bit more seriously in the future. He did survive, fortunately. 234000 Scoville is not Sriracha or jalapeno Tabasco.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:33 am 

That passage actually goes down to the lower chambers of Exham Priory.

Also, note to self: if I think of good ideas and type them out here, Crick will do them for me.

On a completely unrelated note, if I had a whole lot of beer and a giant kebab, and maybe a snuggie that just came out of the dryer, I would be pretty happy. Just saying.

(...Crick?)

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:35 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
First post after getting back from some Godforsaken shit-hole south east of Melbourne (work related nonsense - 1000klm of driving! :grr: :fuck: ), and was inspired by the "Random Band" almost game a couple of pages back, and hit this gem:

The band is Angel Dissection :roll:

:lol:

Jesus Christ! Soooo spooky.

Listened to one of their songs and it actually wasn't total garbage. Still not great, though.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:37 am 

failsafeman wrote:
White people have never been the victims of systemic racism in the same way black people have. Minorities are routinely racially profiled by the police, and if you're seriously suggesting that calling someone a "cracker" (an utterly harmless term) is on the same level as racial profiling, then you're an idiot.

The actual etymology of 'cracker' is slightly more loaded and sinister than you'd think, but I do agree that it no longer carries much (if any) weight today, and comparing cracker and honky with words meant to deprive the humanity from someone is absurd and disgusting.

Racial profiling is very real but, unfortunately, also somewhat necessary in the current cultural climate and generally poor police logistics/budget in the US. I'm hopeful that once the effects of Affirmative Action are felt by less privileged minorities, we'll be able to finally put an end to stuff like "Driving While Black." Hopeful, but not terribly optimistic...
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:30 am 

Napero wrote:
We had Razakel and his two friends over in our place yesterday, and since DeathRiderDoom is turning into a permanent part of our furniture, we had a pretty good evening with BBQ and sauna, and maybe three or four beers each. Canadians seem to be nice people, the amount of apologizing was incredible.

Also, Razakel's younger friend will, I think, take warnings on hot sauces a bit more seriously in the future. He did survive, fortunately. 234000 Scoville is not Sriracha or jalapeno Tabasco.

That's less than Habanero...
And I love Habanero and/or Madame Jeanette peppers.

Scoville is a very subjective scale. I don't think there is any scale that's that dependent on perception.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:11 am 

Calusari wrote:
I'll be going to this, too - the Melbourne show is in a rather small venue, so should be interesting. Anywho. I just buy the cheap, disposable ones you get at the chemist - not the cheapest, those things in cardboard packs (given that you're in Australia, too, I'm assuming you may find the same kind), but the ones that go for around $5 a pair. They've served me well through years and years of gigs (though you should eventually get better ones once you have the money and know what you're looking for).

Yeah, I'll be flying in from Tassie for it. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check those out. Cheers.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:14 am 

crises79 wrote:
That's less than Habanero...
And I love Habanero and/or Madame Jeanette peppers.

Scoville is a very subjective scale. I don't think there is any scale that's that dependent on perception.

Yup. I've found many "ultra hot" or "insane" sauces quite mild myself. But not so in this case. I personally use the stuff in quite minuscule amounts, because in addition to relatively high fiery character, it's also pretty damn tasty. That's not a reason to cover a pork chop with it like you were buttering a slice of bread, though.

Also, I've noticed an amazingly large variation in strength of different lots of different sauces. The stuff that used to be like ketchup with a sting suddenly turns you into Anchalagon the Black, and then everybody is laughing.

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:52 am 

And which sauce are you talking about, Napero?

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:33 am 

Da Bomb Ground Zero. Yeah, I know, you probably had spoonfuls of it in every bottle of your baby formula, and regularly use it as a tanning lotion for your tongue, but for me it's quite hot enough.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:55 am 

With hot sauce I've been taking it easy lately, just the regular old Cholula Original and this guy:

I've had stomach issues for ages now, can't even drink beer without upsetting it. Ole Gutsy's just given up on all the joy in life.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:23 am 

Conservationism wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:
How is changing into something new "reversion"?

If what's "new" is actually "old" or "dumbed-down"

I get the feeling you may be off-base about a few things.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:06 am 

Just picked up this email, addressed to the general inbox at the company I work for. Looks like my troubles are over! Totally doing this...next time you guys hear from me I'll be posting from my own private island.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Request.
My name is Elizabeth, I am a young girl of 22 years old. I am the only one left in my family.
I have $18.5 million dollars fortune. I inherited this money from my late father.
Please, i want you to partner with me to transfer the $18.5 million dollars to your country .
Your share would be 20% of the mentioned amount above. I will donate 10% to orphanage home in your country. You will help me to invest my 70% to any lucrative business in your country. I relocate to you country and continue my studies to become a Surgeons doctor.
If you are willing to help me relocate the money to your country, then contact me
with this my private e-mail for instructions : [removed by me]
Please, you should send me your direct contact details Eg;;
1) Your full name.
2)your Phone number.
3)Your home or office address
4) Your marital status and your occupation.
Yours faithfully. Elizabeth.

:hyper:

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:56 am 

Bezerko wrote:

As much as I love my poutine, I need to have this. Seriously, how could this exist without my knowledge?

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:03 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
As much as I love my poutine, I need to have this. Seriously, how could this exist without my knowledge?

I feel extremely sheltered. I've never heard of any of this, but I definitely want to try it now. I highly doubt any places serve that around my neck of the woods, though.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:58 am 

You guys make me want to have poutine and chips and I just finished eating :(. It's going to be a sad time when my metabolism slows down, I'll actually have to exercise so I don't turn into a giant mass of fat.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:17 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Racial profiling is very real but, unfortunately, also somewhat necessary in the current cultural climate and generally poor police logistics/budget in the US. I'm hopeful that once the effects of Affirmative Action are felt by less privileged minorities, we'll be able to finally put an end to stuff like "Driving While Black." Hopeful, but not terribly optimistic...

You don't really understand how racial profiling is used if you think it's at all necessary or justifiable or legal.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:53 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Just picked up this email, addressed to the general inbox at the company I work for. Looks like my troubles are over! Totally doing this...next time you guys hear from me I'll be posting from my own private island.
[stuff]

Don't! I think this might be a scam man! According to my information this so called "Elizabeth" girl is actually the crown prince of Kenya who is probably using this as a scheme to get in your pants.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:28 pm 

But she wants to become a Surgeons doctor. Not just a doctor, or a surgeon, but a Surgeons doctor. Surely, no one who is not pure of heart could have such an ambition.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:08 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
You don't really understand how racial profiling is used if you think it's at all necessary or justifiable or legal.

Agreed. In the terms mentioned before that's not profiling. Profiling is specifically targeting a specific person because of their race with no other motivating factor aside from race. If someone calls 911 and says, "I was attacked by a black man wearing a yellow bandanna" it's not profiling for me to stop a black male wearing a yellow bandanna to find out if he was involved.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:55 pm 

do surgeons perform their own surgeries?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:22 pm 

Driving While Black is not racial profiling? News to me...

I think I worded my post somewhat poorly; I'm not really saying that racial profiling should be used, just that its existence is one often born out of equal measures of racism and pragmatism, e.g. Giuliani's New York.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:33 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Driving While Black is not racial profiling? News to me...

I think I worded my post somewhat poorly; I'm not really saying that racial profiling should be used, just that its existence is one often born out of equal measures of racism and pragmatism, e.g. Giuliani's New York.

It's more racist than you think. A lot of precincts get funding based on numbers of drug arrests, so it's in their best interests to simply catch as many people who have drugs as possible. Makes sense so far, right? Except it's not the high-level guys the patrol cops are going after here. The thing is, it's much easier to get away with making questionably legal stop-and-frisks in poor black and Latino communities than it is in any kind of white community - how many black people in the ghetto do you think are going to be able to afford a lawyer? The cops will say "the guy looked suspicious" or "he fit a description" or "he smelled like weed" to justify arresting a guy if he turned out to have drugs, which is very easy to make sound plausible in hindsight. And if he didn't have drugs, they probably just let him go, so why would he bother hiring a lawyer in the first place? I'm pretty sure studies have shown cops would have much more success finding drugs with the random "stop-and-frisk" tactic in, say, a college community, but of course then they'd have to deal with all the outraged moms indignant over their perfect little angels being treated like criminals.

I know you smoke weed. How would you feel if a cop thought that "you looked suspicious" and frisked you, found a small amount of weed, and arrested you? How would you feel if you got roughly searched on a regular basis even if you didn't have any? Would you still be defending the pragmatism of that practice?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190 ... 518  Next