Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:25 pm 

I recently lost my taste for beef basically entirely. Couldn't give a fuck in general, honestly, and I used to love carne asada. Lamb is starting to fade, too, though I still like gyros. Red meat just doesn't agree with me. I dunno .. maybe I need to drink more wine. eh .. I'll just take the wine.

I definitely second the turkey. Has more flavor than chicken, which is pretty dull unless grilled or marinated forever, and turkey's a fairly dense meat while still rather lean.

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:33 pm 

It must be very well cooked turkey though. A little experienced cook will end up with a very dry, somewhat hard bland tasting meat.

Also, try eating some fish...I don't know about how often you eat seafood in your country. I'll go with the stereotype that you guys only know fish through fast food and sushi to recommend you to look for more exotic recipes. Seafood is underated anyway.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:35 pm 

Menternor wrote:
Also, try eating some fish...I don't know about how often you eat seafood in your country. I'll go with the stereotype that you guys only know fish through fast food and sushi to recommend you to look for more exotic recipes. Seafood is underated anyway.

God, I love fish; especially salmon. I will never, EVER buy one here though.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:24 pm 

iAm wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
But it's all burgers that I don't care for eating. even fresh grilled at a BBQ. it's rare I eat one. i'm not the hugest fan of red meat.

Communist :nono:

silly! They can't afford to have any meat whatsoever!

BlasphemousGoatSodomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:37 pm 

Adderall, studying/homework and Moonsorrow make for a surprisingly decent night.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:41 pm 

^ AKRON? A-K-ROWDY REPRESENT MOTHER.FUCKER.

Got loads of family, there, bro. Miss that town - used to ball out of control at the uni there.

Also, I eat fish almost exclusively. Whiting, bass, salmon, tuna, octopus, mussels, scallops, what-the-fuck ever. I eat fish probably 4 nights out of the week.

I'll die of mercury poisoning.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

BlasphemousGoatSodomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:47 pm 

Hell yeah dude! I'm a little bummed the basketball team's win streak got broken tonight at 19. I'm from the Cleveland area (Strongsville specifically) but I go to school here. I don't mind Akron and I've had some good times in my 3 years here but if I have to be in NEO I'd rather live in Cleveland or thereabouts. I'll be out of here next year in the summer, though. Yay!

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:49 pm 

Bro, I grew up in Strongsville before I moved out to Hinckley, haha. Spent most of my time up in Cleveland due to school/friends (GO WILDCATS and Case Westerrrrnnnn) and knew tons of peeps down at Akron University. Now i'm a successful writer and drunk. Very small world.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:50 pm 

Six Feet Under's 'Manipulation' and Obituary's 'By the Light' have a very, very similar riff. In fact, I'd almost say it was the same, just slowed down in Obituary's case. Very creative Allen. But I don't mind, it's a badass riff.

Related, does anyone know what is up with Allen these days? Last thing I heard he had been released from prison and that's it. I was kind of hoping he'd rejoin Obituary, unless there is some bad blood there.

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:53 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
^ AKRON? A-K-ROWDY REPRESENT MOTHER.FUCKER.

Got loads of family, there, bro. Miss that town - used to ball out of control at the uni there.

Also, I eat fish almost exclusively. Whiting, bass, salmon, tuna, octopus, mussels, scallops, what-the-fuck ever. I eat fish probably 4 nights out of the week.

I'll die of mercury poisoning.

...I'm pretty sure one of the symptoms of mercury poisoning is infertility, so you should probably think of another way to die.

Ummm, no, that was a symptom for mercury oxide poisoning I think, although it may also be some bullshit my chemistry teacher invented to keep my 10th grade classmates from messing up with all the weirdly colored magical dusts and vials of liquids with mystical (and sometimes explosive) properties AKA composites, substances and solutions. Aaahhh, those good days (yes, I loved chemistry, I know I'm weird)

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:04 am 

iAm wrote:
Menternor wrote:

I think I've had a relatively decent amount of different fish before, but I've never had anything that I like as much as salmon.

BlasphemousGoatSodomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:08 am 

Being allergic to fish (technically shellfish too, but I still eat those because I have to eat a lot to get a reaction), salmon is the only one I'm sad that I can't eat.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:15 am 

Salmon smashes all. I've been working with fish-fry recently, putting African spices in the breading on the cod. Even so .. Salmon smashes all.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:31 am 

Salmon is just about the only fish I don't like actually, overrated fish. As for shell fish and junk I love everything except oysters.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:35 am 

I just watched a piece on Genesis P-Orridge on the Science Channel, hawhaw.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:49 am 

Yo help me out, what's the name of that DSBM band whose name starts with an N and has an album cover with a pic of a guy with a gun in his mouth?

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:56 am 

Shining?

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Sh ... tad/117596

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:07 am 

Nyktalgia

The album is absolutely stunning too.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:32 am 

Yeah I remember it being really good, just couldn't remember the name. Thanks.
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

Not what I was thinking about, but I've never listened to Shining despite hearing about them a zillion times. Gotta get on that tomorrow.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:37 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Nyktalgia

Agreed, fantastic black metal. Haven't heard anything from the follow-up but I think you'd have to be nuts to play to your strengths as strongly as they do on the debut then switch things up, so it's probably good as well.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:42 am 

I'm barelyt conscious right now. Please forgive me for hatever stupid crap I'am doing.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:46 am 

Thashierthanthou wrote:

Not what I was thinking about, but I've never listened to Shining despite hearing about them a zillion times. Gotta get on that tomorrow.

Listen to Ytterligare from Halmstad. It's not the song's full title since there's like 5 more Swedish words after it, but that's the first word of it. Very good mix of pounding doom-esq metal, black metal, and jazz.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:55 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Nyktalgia

Instrumentally they are brilliant and I can see how they were pretty instrumental on their sub-genre of black metal, but the over the top howling vocals kind of put a damper on things for me.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:13 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
and Case Westerrrrnnnn

Heh, I went there for my 06-07 academic year; didn't connect well at all with any of the profs, and the 36% female/64% male population was a huge downer for me as well. While I'm sort of glad I transferred to my state university, there are definitely things I missed there.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:33 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Instrumentally they are brilliant and I can see how they were pretty instrumental on their sub-genre of black metal, but the over the top howling vocals kind of put a damper on things for me.

Having never heard of Nyktalgia, I assume the vocals you speak of are similar to the vocals on Silencer's "Death - Pierce Me", otherwise known as the most unintentionally hilarious vocal performance in metal history?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:52 am 

No, the vocals are not nearly as bad as Silencer. I wouldn't even really call the exaggerated howl-shreiks of Nyktalgia bad, I just personally really hate that approach (with the exception of Icare).

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:14 am 

Today seems way more boring than usual. And some douche with a ping well over four hundred is ruining my favourite Halo server.

Meh.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:20 am 

You guys bet your sweet ass Nyktalgia is awesome. I don't find their vocals nearly as over the top as most DSBM bands (a genre I love) and they're very fitting. Fucking Burzum influenced soul crushing. One thing that sets them apart from others in their frankly oversaturated genre is just how much they focus on riffing.

Also, while I'm here, Bongripper is the best thing ever. I was listening to Satan Worshipping Doom and just lost myself. Massive fucking guitar tone and who needs vocals when you have some of the best riffs ever? Hail Satan, worship doom.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:52 am 

Dude, have you heard Hippie Killer? Crushing as ever with an amazing atmosphere, even has a more straight forward fast extreme metal song. It's even better in my opinion, although Satan Worshipping dude is indeed fucking massive.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
No, the vocals are not nearly as bad as Silencer. I wouldn't even really call the exaggerated howl-shreiks of Nyktalgia bad, I just personally really hate that approach (with the exception of Icare).

Would you compare them (in terms of vocals) to Forgotten Woods?
Because I can get into some motherfucking Forgotten Woods, yo...

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:24 am 

iAm wrote:
Menternor wrote:

I'm very choosy with regards to seafood. Depends on the taste and flavor etc. In that sense, I love some mackerel and possibly some tuna (even though it stinks)! On most occasions, I'm a lazy fucker and avoid fish because it's annoying and time consuming to sieve out the bones etc. Unless the dish prepared is boneless, then it's a different story. :drool:

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:38 am 

I think any real fan of Type O's sound can not help but be extremely grateful that they cut Life Is Killing Me. Sure, it is a pop album, but that is the beauty of it: a distillation of their essence, in exciting variation. Kinda like Captain Beefheart's Safe as Milk, or even Queen's Night at the Opera. These are all brilliant pop albums.

\

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:15 am 

Bizarre thinking that Dennis Rodman has gotten closer to the current North Korean regime than the CIA and what-not so far. Well, the 'West' as such has always taken the wrong approach to the Norks in my opinion. They should infiltrate with love. And cookies. Yummy cookies.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/den ... d=18628726

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/leaving-nk ... --spt.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/01/sport ... .html?_r=0

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:44 am 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
I think any real fan of Type O's sound can not help but be extremely grateful that they cut Life Is Killing Me. Sure, it is a pop album, but that is the beauty of it: a distillation of their essence, in exciting variation. Kinda like Captain Beefheart's Safe as Milk, or even Queen's Night at the Opera. These are all brilliant pop albums.

\

It's not my favorite album, but I still think it's really good.
Honestly, I think people only hate it because it was a post-millennial record that was popular for 5 minutes or something (and yet Shlocktober Rust is their "best album evar" to so many people. What bullshit*. OR is shallow, boring and overrated crap as far as I'm concerned... Yeah, it's a "Pop" album, too, and I like Pop... just not songs like "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend" and all the cliche 90's "goffyck" baggage that comes with it).

LIKM > OR, any day of the week as far as I'm concerned... and I don't just say that to be a contrarian. I still really like Bloody Kisses just fine.

Speaking of their influences, I don't get how people (there's been some) can't discern the HUGE influence of My Bloody Valentine and other dreamy/ethereal music like Cocteau Twins and Lycia. Peter Steele has even said as much in interviews, so I'm not imagining that. There's at least some amount of Shoegaze guitar and vocal textures on basically every album from BK onward.

*I get why Peter Steele liked it. He associated it with a good period in his life or w/e, but it's apparent to me that his writing suffered when he didn't. That's part of what makes WCD so good, yet so difficult as a whole. It's an emotionally trying record in a lot of places, and a lot of the more sombre elements of their influences shine through on that album.

chrislyles15
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:59 am 

I love October Rust. It's probably because of the ethereal atmosphere being so prevalent, and also because of the "goffyk" songs. Then again, I have a soft spot for Gothic culture in general. It's taken me forever to get into Life Is Killing Me, but I finally am recently. Christ in heaven, "I Don't Wanna Be Me" gets stuck in my head like glue. (Or bubblegum that has become rubbery and bitter. That's probably a more fitting analogy for it). And "Anesthesia" is right up there with anything on World Coming Down in the depression department. Nothing could ever top WCD though. That album crushes ancient structures and takes it's place as the greatest monolith in history.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:07 am 

I don't know what's more annoying: teenage girls passive-aggressively airing their dirty laundry on Facebook or the swarm of similar teenage girls that clusterfuck around to have a nice, big Like-sharing circlejerk session in the comments of said dirty laundry airings.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:10 am 

Sounds like you need some new friends.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:13 am 

It's really only the one girl who added me back when she was dating a friend of my brother. I keep her on Facebook because she regularly makes an ass of herself on there, but there's moments when I feel she just needs to be given time out in the naughty corner.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 am 

I came across a job opening which said "ambidextrous brains required" >_>

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:45 am 

chrislyles15 wrote:
I have a soft spot for Gothic culture in general.

Honestly, I do too... IDK... Maybe I am a bit close-minded, but I don't really like much of anything associated with the "Gothic subculture" after the 80's. I've always been pretty vehemently opposed to 90's-era Gothic culture (and stereotypes) for this reason, and OR is a very "90's Goth" album for me.

I think it became incredibly commercialized and incredibly far-removed from where it was in the early 80's. Even EBM music (so frequently associated with Goth subculture since the 90's on) changed a lot (IMO, badly) going into the 90's. I don't think it had anything to do with "the goth scene" before "Goth" became synonymous with PVC-wearing club kids, but now the association seems impossible to separate in some people's minds.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 518  Next