Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:45 pm 

Ohh I agree the guy has a great voice and that the video is kind of amusing (I'd really like to hear him do some of that post black metal stuff that's been getting all the rage right now or some power metal) it's just the fact that all you have to do to become a house hold name and filthy fucking rich now days is make a dumb youtube video.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:03 pm 

It's stupid and goofy, but it's supposed to be stupid and goofy. Also, the guys who made that song have apparently been around for over a decade going by Wikipedia. They're apparently quite known in their native Norway.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:39 pm 

shouvince wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
Ilwhyan, every time I see your username, I think "lil wayne." :(

Even google is asking the same...

:nods:

Hahahaha that's great :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:51 pm 

Ylvis is awesome; their videos are brilliant, particularily this one, but their others are great as well.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:19 pm 

On the topic of talking foxs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

Obligatory Last FM Link

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:27 pm 

TheLiberation wrote:
Although on a different note, in the exactly same place some other time, I nearly died by choking from laughter when I accidentally discovered the band Maximum Oversatan. (Which immediately dethroned Nuclear Chainsaw for my favourite band name ever.)

I've hung out with the frontman for Maximum Oversatan. I may have even had beer with him, but it's hard to be sure when it comes to these things.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:33 pm 

I spent the better part of an evening conversing with the frontman of Maximum Oversatan entirely in Abigail lyrics and similarly styled phrases. We each had 20-30 beers that day and whenever someone stood up to grab a beer from the cooler they would be told "HEY SLUT GIMME A BEER" and we later shouted "I'M TOO MUCH DRANK!" We saw Venom that weekend too. Did you know that Maximum Oversatan are huge Venom fans? :lol:

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:47 pm 

I saw Abigail when they came through earlier this year and midway through their set someone from the crowd handed their frontman a flask. He took a huge swig, threw it at the guy and turned to the crowd and shouted "AND NOW BECOME DRUNK!"

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:51 pm 

Just read on the Sonata Arctica's keyboardists blog the new songs they're making sound like old school Sonata and sound power metalish again, gonna get my hopes up for Ecliptica or Reckoning Night part 2 and i doubt thats gonna happen.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:00 am 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
I saw Abigail when they came through earlier this year and midway through their set someone from the crowd handed their frontman a flask. He took a huge swig, threw it at the guy and turned to the crowd and shouted "AND NOW BECOME DRUNK!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Obligatory Last FM Link

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:42 am 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
On the topic of talking foxs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

I see your Antichrist talking fox scene and raise you a this.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:26 am 

Five Finger Death Punch is pretty much the definition of trashy hard rock/heavy metal. I'm listening to the new record and while the music itself is catchy in a lot of places, the lyrics are so bad it's incomprehensible. I cannot fathom how somebody wrote this down and said, "yep, looks good!" It's so... unaware of how stupid it sounds that I can't imagine anybody from the band, in response to this album, going, "yeah, we poured our hearts into that album!"

Every Five Finger Death Punch song on this album: FUCK THIS / FUCK YOU / FUCK MY DICK / SHIT YEAH!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:33 am 

Never heard their original songs but I've listened to their Bad Company cover once. Very Nickelback-y :puke:

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:45 am 

shouvince wrote:
Never heard their original songs

Here you are. Go nuts.

I dare you to make it past three songs. ;)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:49 am 

I tried to meet your challenge, Mikey, but only lasted 50 seconds into the first song. That's 50 seconds of my life I'm not getting back, bleh.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:59 am 

MikeyC wrote:
shouvince wrote:
Never heard their original songs

Here you are. Go nuts.
Spoiler: show

I dare you to make it past three songs. ;)

I made it to the chorus of the first song. Naturally, after such an abomination, one needs cleansing!

Something new that caught my ears...

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:00 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Five Finger Death Punch is pretty much the definition of trashy hard rock/heavy metal. I'm listening to the new record and while the music itself is catchy in a lot of places, the lyrics are so bad it's incomprehensible. I cannot fathom how somebody wrote this down and said, "yep, looks good!" It's so... unaware of how stupid it sounds that I can't imagine anybody from the band, in response to this album, going, "yeah, we poured our hearts into that album!"

Every Five Finger Death Punch song on this album: FUCK THIS / FUCK YOU / FUCK MY DICK / SHIT YEAH!

It seems you don't understand the metaphysical dilemmas that surrealism creates in a solipsist society, where the individual gets bombarded with a constant influx conflicting impulses that result in a jarring cognitive dissonance and the existential frustration this creates, which can only be expressed with a predetermined quota of fucks and shits. Obviously.

In other words, they suck.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:19 am 

Copyright reasons make that video non-viewable in the United States.

Good.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:04 am 

Not even going to bother with FFDP. Just no.

But this... can't wait for my copy to arrive. The 7" was fucking awesome.

shouvince wrote:
Something new that caught my ears...

My collection

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:04 am 

I'm not gonna lie, I think War Is the Answer is an alright album, but their music gets old fast. Each album is pretty much the same, except that their debut was more hilariously bad than the rest. The vocalist has a workable enough voice, but really, the instrumentalists are best off being the backing band for someone else. They're competent enough, even if they can't write a decent song.

5FDP lyrics if they were done correctly:
Spoiler: show

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:41 am 

Jon Lajoie is the shit.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:14 am 

BEST DREAM THEATER COVER EVER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZvWMUUl5Q0

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:24 am 

I have a friend who loves five finger death punch. Making fun of them never gets old. The lyrics as stated are hilariously bad:"You're monkey see and I'm monkey do", "1, 2 FUCK YOU!", "It's always do this do that everything they want to'," Do you take me for a fool!?,How's it feel to be a tool!?",You wanna disrespect me, you little fuckin' punk? Everything I've done to be who I am? As far as I've fuckin' come? I'll slap you so fuckin' hard, It'll feel like you kissed a freight train. Fuck you!" Actually sometimes they do get out some serviceable groove riffs every now and then, but they're usually thown away for chugging or choruses. And the vocalist actually has a decent enough singing voice, but he has this whiny undertone to it, and most of the time he's doing that shitty half yelled croaking hardcore vocal yelp that every modern metal band seems to do.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:01 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
"You're monkey see and I'm monkey do", "1, 2 FUCK YOU!"

:lol:

Please tell me those 2 lines come one after the other.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:35 pm 

Gypaetus wrote:
Evangelion2014 wrote:
"You're monkey see and I'm monkey do", "1, 2 FUCK YOU!"

:lol:

Please tell me those 2 lines come one after the other.

They're not from the same songs. He quoted, in order, "Salvation", "The Way of the Fist", and "War Is the Answer". I should be ashamed for knowing this.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:26 pm 

colin040 wrote:
BEST DREAM THEATER COVER EVER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZvWMUUl5Q0

No....this is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h2h4zIhwuM

Like your reviews?

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:34 pm 

Against Such Things wrote:
They're not from the same songs. He quoted, in order, "Salvation", "The Way of the Fist", and "War Is the Answer". I should be ashamed for knowing this.

Yes, yes you should :P

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:39 pm 

Oh, I'm so happy I've accidently dedicated an entire page to Five Finger Death Punch. But in reality, you all should be ashamed of yourselves!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:59 pm 

If someone made a parody of everything hilarious about American quasi-metal it still wouldn't be as funny as Five Finger Death Punch.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:50 pm 

I will say with total honesty that Five Finger Death Punch is the worst band I've ever heard. The mixture of recycled groove bullshit and 90s-styled nu-alternative rock is my fucking hell. But the lyrics.... :lol:

Sometime ago they were looking for a new bass player or something. Their list of requirements for potential applicants included the usual shit (competent player, not a junkie, etc.), but they also posted a height requirement (can't be shorter than 6'0 to be a tuff-d00d :lol: ) and something about tattoos being "preferred but not required."

I believe I'm going off something Bastardhead said here, but there's nothing about FFDP that isn't a total waste of humanity.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:10 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Inspector_Satan wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That guy is one of the nicest, happiest metalheads I've met in my life. SHaring beers with him is one of my greatest MDF experiences to date.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:33 pm 

I walk through a small patch of woodland everyday on my way to work, and today I noticed a sign somebody had put up warning people about dog thefts in the area. The author mentioned that their own dog has been snatched, and others have had theirs stolen from a larger forest that's nearby. Apparently gypsies are laying bait for dogs that have been let off their lead and out of their owner's sight, chucking them in a van or whatever, then using them for dog fights. Indiscriminate, any breed of dog, big or small. They're also using chalk to mark outside of the houses with dogs that they're particularly interested in. Fucking subhuman filth.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Bobby_Typhoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:44 pm 

So I have a preliminary job interview in Fargo, ND on Tuesday. It's for a conductor trainee position I applied for with BNSF rail. Hoping the 10 hour drive I will be making is worth it.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:46 pm 

If you see Steve Buscemi, stay the fuck away.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:18 pm 

I love you.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Bobby_Typhoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:00 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Ha, I haven't watched that film in ages. I do hope everyone has that accent, I will be a slightly bummed if I don't hear a few people talking like that.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:22 pm 

Hmm, in other North Dakota news:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/s ... nity-leith

...but isn't North Dakota already an all-white community? ;) I kid, I kid.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:34 pm 

Bobby_Typhoon wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

Ha, I haven't watched that film in ages. I do hope everyone has that accent, I will be a slightly bummed if I don't hear a few people talking like that.

Pretty much all the locals do, but there are so many transients and drifters here now that it's not universal, at least not in Williston or other more populated areas*.

*"Populated" being a relative term...

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:19 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Jon Lajoie is the shit.

I'm still spewing because he actually performed live in Wollongong (city about 15-20 minutes from me) and I didn't know about it until that day, when it was too late to go. I will likely never get to see him again unless he comes to Sydney or something.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:38 pm 

Aw, that's unfortunate. Should he ever play here I'd probably miss him too though since the only thing I actively look for are metal gigs.
I don't even know what a Jon Lajoie show would be like... does he just play his songs or is it more like a comedy act?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279 ... 518  Next