Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:11 am 

antonthereaper reminds me of when I was 14 and using the MA forums for the first time, with my only prior forum experience being the Runescape forums.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:21 am 

This little snippet is my favorite part of that "What if thrash didn't exist?" thread he started.

antonthereaper wrote:
Ok, first off, please stop calling me "Mr. Mallcore" or whatever. It's Anton The Reaper (Which is my stage name). Although i do appreciate you making something i said your signature. This "Mallcore" joke is going to get old.

I'm certain that his pubes only just started to grow in.

EDIT: *insert goofy message about failsafeman being cool or something*

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:33 am 

I think it's funny that he actually just barely reached enough posts to get out of "Mallcore kid" status and into "Metal newbie" status, but now he's stuck with it forever anyways.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:55 am 

It is indeed a badge of shame that he will carry for some time. Such as my eternal likeness to some prick on South Park, he'll look back two years later, as I do, and sigh.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:56 am 

This is why I'm often genuinely surprised that there are actual, legit children on the internet. I think because it was not really a thing that people did until I was well into my twenties, I somehow forget that many of the asinine comments I see are due to the fact that the poster is a kid.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:02 am 

I thought it was funny he didn't understand why I said his first post was close to incoherent rambling. It was full of bad grammar, and just seemed to be almost like a bunch of random thoughts strung together due to ADD with very little substance. Not very thought out. It's amusing how in his threads he will continue to quote and defend himself so much.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:38 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Does anyone remember Kirby Dream Course for SNES? The one that plays like a golf game but Kirby is the ball, and you have to ricochet him off shit, powerups, etc. Man that brings back some memories.

Yeah man. Actually my first encounter with the Kirby franchise. I was so shit at that game. Good times.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:48 am 

That anton character must be a troll.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:21 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Diamhea wrote:
Does anyone remember Kirby Dream Course for SNES? The one that plays like a golf game but Kirby is the ball, and you have to ricochet him off shit, powerups, etc. Man that brings back some memories.

Yeah man. Actually my first encounter with the Kirby franchise. I was so shit at that game. Good times.

That's a good game. Best of the Kirby spinoffs if you ask me.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:47 am 

Anton's sig wrote:
Actual Actual rank: Extreme Metal & Punk kid. NOT "Mallcore!!!! Kid!!!!!!!! (actual rank!!!)"!

:lol: Poor kid.

May he find a proper status and thus metal cred fulfillment, wherever he may roam now.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:16 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Anton's sig wrote:
Actual Actual rank: Extreme Metal & Punk kid. NOT "Mallcore!!!! Kid!!!!!!!! (actual rank!!!)"!

:lol: Poor kid.

May he find a proper status and thus metal cred fulfillment, wherever he may roam now.

Question: Are there any regulars who started out like this kid, got a fitting custom title, but changed their ways to fit this board and are still around? If so, could this place be considered a reeducation camp? and could we get paid for that?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:31 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Perturbator is pretty good but ultimately pales in comparison to the more pro 80's revival stuff like Lazerhawk, Power Glove, Maethelvin and even Futurecop!. Still, it's cool people are getting into this rapidly expanding genre around here. It's been close to my heart for nearly a decade.

Thanks for originally bringing up Power Glove a while back, donnie, this whole neosynth/futurewave/outrun/whatever genre has been pretty interesting to explore and (most importantly) has finally given my girlfriend something new to listen to ;). I was retroactively disappointed to find that MPMsoundtracks ended his career because he has been by far one of the most enjoyable and most authentic-sounding artists in the field. Noir Deco is nice, too, as is Miami Nights 1984.

In the epic spirit of this topic, I will leave this here for the public enjoyment:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:44 am 

Some nice retrosynth namedropping here. Lazerhawk especially is fantastic. I'll throw Midnight Club, Kavinsky and Mitch Murder into the mix.

henkkjelle wrote:
Question: Are there any regulars who started out like this kid, got a fitting custom title, but changed their ways to fit this board and are still around? If so, could this place be considered a reeducation camp? and could we get paid for that?

More ancient forum regulars can probably tell tales of a couple, but the only one that comes to mind now is MutantClannfear. I wasn't around much then, but he got banned once for immature behaviour (hence his MalignantThrone account).

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:48 am 

henkkjelle wrote:

Pretty sure that Xlxl used to be kind of like that guy (although not quite as dumb) and he's still here. I would say myself also but people still think I'm an idiot, I just hardly ever post here anymore.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:31 am 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
So I had a nice sit down today with the director of the rec center where I do work as a mentor and tutor to talk about my internet habits.

So in my downtime before sessions/during slow ones, I'm normally on this site, usually working with easy reports, or updating info for whatever I'm working through at the time. Well, it turns out last week that I spent my time before tutoring looking for some up-to-date info on Grinded Nig, not even thinking how it would look for the young white guy to be searching Google for a white supremacist grindcore band from Texas. I'm sure you can imagine the surprise of the director to find a web history filled with web pages associated with the skinhead/Nazi movements on the computer I had been using at the center. It took a bit of convincing to prove to her I wasn't goose-stepping around town, but she did let it go with the request that I "do research" on my personal internet connection.

I found it laughable, but I guess not everyone is open-minded on that subject.

I'm pretty sure people have lost their jobs over less. You should take care. All company networks are heavily monitored, and a simple request to audit your machine can result in someone from iT just showing up and accessing your web history out of the blue.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:48 am 

antonthereaper has been banned :( RIP

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:53 am 

Metantoine wrote:
antonthereaper has been banned :( RIP

awwwwwww.....

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:42 am 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:
Question: Are there any regulars who started out like this kid, got a fitting custom title, but changed their ways to fit this board and are still around?

Pretty sure that Xlxl used to be kind of like that guy (although not quite as dumb) and he's still here.

Kinda, yeah. Admittedly, looking at some of my first posts here makes me cringe a little.

EDIT: Too bad about Antonthereaper. He had lots of potential!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am 

Just got my Hawkwind ticket! It's been a dream to witness a live Hawkwind performance for many years, so I just tell anyone who grouses about the lineup to "shut the fuck up" because I don't really give a shit, or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

I also got a ticket to Christian Death's upcomign performance because my friend's band is opening for them. I'm wondering if I'll regret this; I only know Only Theatre of Pain and I"m not exactly nuts about it, and everyone keeps telling me they havent' done anything even remotely tolerable in many years. Also, Raven is playing on the same night! FUck...

In other show related happenings, I'm a bit annoyed that Lee Dorian was at the Blood Ceremony album release gig on Saturday and I didn't know/nobody bothered to tell me! This is really silly becuase I would likely have just gone up to him and said "hey man, I really like your music!!!" or made some other inane comment.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:03 am 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
Well, it turns out last week that I spent my time before tutoring looking for some up-to-date info on Grinded Nig, not even thinking how it would look for the young white guy to be searching Google for a white supremacist grindcore band from Texas. I'm sure you can imagine the surprise of the director to find a web history filled with web pages associated with the skinhead/Nazi movements on the computer I had been using at the center.

Amazing.

Speaking of this Antonthereaper fellow, what the hell was up with what he put as his location?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:07 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Speaking of this Antonthereaper fellow, what the hell was up with what he put as his location?

I never noticed it and it has since been removed from his posts, what was it?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:12 am 

It was something really weird like "cremated and placed around the neck of my crush". Also, I like how on his site profile he put "actual rank: extreme metal and punk kid, not malcore!!!! kid!!! (actual!!! rank!!!)".

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:18 am 

Fucking weirdo man, I actually felt bad for the kid because I'm sure he was just young and had no life experience thus making him act the way he did. Also I think there may have been a bit of a language barrier, at least that's what his (mis)use of punctuation would suggest.

Completely unrelated: I've always wondered about Abom's signature so I finally googled it up today and now I'm inspired to read the book it's from, so thanks for that I could really use more reading in my life.

Completely unrelated #2: I'm super pumped because I finally tracked down the original Star Wars trilogy on VHS so no special edition crap and yesterday I got a working VCR for $2 so today is all booked. :-D

Azmodes wrote:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:23 am 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Completely unrelated #2: I'm super pumped because I finally tracked down the original Star Wars trilogy on VHS so no special edition crap and yesterday I got a working VCR for $2 so today is all booked. :-D

Dude. Where do you live?

I demand a seat!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:25 am 

About a half hour outside of Chicago, you bring the beer and I've got an open seat. :thumbsup: Huh that's strange I just noticed my location changed to just United States, it used to say Chicago. Better change that.

Azmodes wrote:

Last edited by Erosion of Humanity on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:26 am 

About a half hour outside of Chicago, you bring the beer and I've got an open seat. :thumbsup:

Aww man. I don't have a car, so that's a bit outside of my walking distance. :<

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:28 am 

That sucks man. The video quality is so laughable, it's amazing!!

Azmodes wrote:

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:28 am 

Fucking weirdo man, I actually felt bad for the kid because I'm sure he was just young and had no life experience thus making him act the way he did. Also I think there may have been a bit of a language barrier, at least that's what his (mis)use of punctuation would suggest.

I felt that his English was probably ok. He was just young, spastic and weird.

Quote:

Completely unrelated: I've always wondered about Abom's signature so I finally googled it up today and now I'm inspired to read the book it's from, so thanks for that I could really use more reading in my life.

If you enjoy stuff like Lovecraft, you will not regret this decision. it's one of the most atmospherically weird (in the weird fiction sense) books you'll ever find, anywhere. If you're of a particularly metaphysical bent, too, the travels and travails of the protagonist will make a lot more sense and not just appear like "random weird stuff", which is the impression some people seem to get from the book. Anyway, it's a huge trip and you should post about it when you've finished!

Quote:

I still have my VCR from many years ago. It works all right, and I recently got a collection of about thirty VHS tapes, mostly American horror/SF stuff from the 70s and 80s. I was really happy, but only got to watch my tape of Alien once before the machine did that stereotypical "oh no I can't believe this happened fuck tapes" and ate the thing, so that when I finally got it out of the VCR its "guts" just spilled out everywhere.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:31 am 

Is it the set with Yoda/Stormtrooper/Vader on them? I had that one when I was a kid and watched the shit out of it.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:34 am 

Huh that's strange I just noticed my location changed to just United States, it used to say Chicago. Better change that.

Don't bother, they'll just change it back. Mine used to say Detroit and it got "fixed" too. I can't remember reading that as a rule anywhere, but I wouldn't push it.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:35 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
If you enjoy stuff like Lovecraft, you will not regret this decision. it's one of the most atmospherically weird (in the weird fiction sense) books you'll ever find, anywhere. If you're of a particularly metaphysical bent, too, the travels and travails of the protagonist will make a lot more sense and not just appear like "random weird stuff", which is the impression some people seem to get from the book. Anyway, it's a huge trip and you should post about it when you've finished!

Honestly I'm really not much of a reader which is why I'm excited that this book caught my interest. When I do read it's usually scifi or actually history books so this should be an interesting read for sure.

Abominatrix wrote:
I still have my VCR from many years ago. It works all right, and I recently got a collection of about thirty VHS tapes, mostly American horror/SF stuff from the 70s and 80s. I was really happy, but only got to watch my tape of Alien once before the machine did that stereotypical "oh no I can't believe this happened fuck tapes" and ate the thing, so that when I finally got it out of the VCR its "guts" just spilled out everywhere.

That really sucks, I probably would've thrown my VCR out the window for that. Luckily for me there has been a bunch of garage sales and flea markets in the area lately plus a bunch of thrift stores all of which sell VHS for $0.25-$0.50 a piece so it's easy to make out like a bandit. I also purchased the old cartoon versions of The Hobbit and Return of the King for $0.25 each so I'll be watching those soon too and I've only got two more to track down to complete the set.

Edit:

Diamhea wrote:
Don't bother, they'll just change it back. Mine used to say Detroit and it got "fixed" too. I can't remember reading that as a rule anywhere, but I wouldn't push it.

Diamhea wrote:
Is it the set with Yoda/Stormtrooper/Vader on them? I had that one when I was a kid and watched the shit out of it.

No it's this one:
Spoiler: show

And why do they care what our location says?

Azmodes wrote:

Last edited by Erosion of Humanity on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:38 am 

Damn I can barely keep up with you. I loved the cartoon version(s) of The Hobbit and the other ones as a kid. I still argue that they are good films. Once the unholy trilogy of live action LOTR films came out everyone threw the older versions under the bus. I mean, it is based on a book, everyone interprets it differently, but thanks to Jackson's version, everyone assumes his vision is the only correct one. Plus I hate all the overnight Tolkien experts it spawned.

Last.fm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:43 am 

Yup that's why I've been on a vintage/nostalgia kick lately and snatching up anything I can find that I loved as a child.

Azmodes wrote:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:43 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Huh that's strange I just noticed my location changed to just United States, it used to say Chicago. Better change that.

Mine also changed a while ago. Changed it back to the TRoB reference without thinking much about it. Stayed this way since.

I'm currently playing DKC2 and I just bought a CD with some Mussorgsky pieces. Then it hit me:

Mussorgsky ripped off David Wise :-D
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:05 pm 

Diamhea wrote:

Heh, are you saying the mods changed your location and cities aren't allowed? It's a simple technical issue, I've had it a couple of times myself and it took me a while to figure out what caused it. Each time you modify your site profile, your location on the forum profile is reverted to an earlier version. Or maybe country-only is some kind of default value, not sure. I don't know what exactly it is reverted to, but "xyz, [country]" always got changed to "[country]" for me. There's no rule against adding your city, you bonehead. :lol: :P

Also I think there may have been a bit of a language barrier, at least that's what his (mis)use of punctuation would suggest.

Well, his IP points to the US. Not that that precludes a language barrier. He's back already, by the way.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:07 pm 

Interesting, but you do know how it could appear that way. The thought of a mod manually going through accounts constantly changing locations back to United States is an endearing mental image. A bonehead is me!

Last.fm

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:07 pm 

It's the Shoon of the Dead from "The House in the Borderland", right? I never noticed. Great, great book. A really bad trip.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:08 pm 

Diamhea: I just find it peculiar that you would assume that specifying your city, town, state, whatever... is forbidden.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:11 pm 

I didn't necessarily mean "forbidden" like it was a rule that was explicitly broken. I tried to imply that it was more of a choice of the staff to keep things more "streamlined"; the same reason we don't allow image avatars or too much shit in signatures. It was just cryptic how nobody ever mentioned it and it was never posted as a rule, now I know why.

Last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:20 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Also I think there may have been a bit of a language barrier, at least that's what his (mis)use of punctuation would suggest.

Well, his IP points to the US. Not that that precludes a language barrier. He's back already, by the way.

His email id says [email protected] :roll:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270 ... 518  Next