Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:48 pm 

Says the big Cradle of Filth fan.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:49 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
A South Korean teacher beats up a student, then jacks off in the hallway. I can't make this shit up.

Really, they fired that guy from his position? I just can't imagine.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:51 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Says the big Cradle of Filth fan.

Cradle isn't directionless warbling though. They have material that actually resembles songs.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:09 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
A South Korean teacher beats up a student, then jacks off in the hallway. I can't make this shit up.

This is great.

Listening to Emperor for the first time in years and it still doesn't do anything for me.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:10 pm 

What album of their's do you have on?

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:24 pm 

In The Nightside Eclipse. It's weird because I get that it's a good album, that it was placed together rather nicely and that a lot of work went into it but I get nothing out of it.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:30 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

I guess the youth do get to you after awhile. Shamefur dispray.

That article wrote:
Mr. A is denying that he touched himself in public.

:lol:

last.fm

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:59 pm 

theposega wrote:
In The Nightside Eclipse. It's weird because I get that it's a good album, that it was placed together rather nicely and that a lot of work went into it but I get nothing out of it.

Perfectly understandable that it's just not one's thing. It's certainly a more rational viewpoint than "This album is fucking garbage and anyone who says otherwise is stupid" like so many people have done with Anthems.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:13 pm 

I remember picking up Firestarter when it first came out (1997) and completely digging Emperor's "Thus Spake the Nightspirit". I'm pretty sure that was my first real experience with anything even remotely resembling black metal.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:53 pm 

Emperor's songs were some of the first "metal" songs I heard but after all these years, I still can't get into their music. I'm generally not a fan of symphonic elements in metal so probably that explains it. I'm more inclined towards the hellenic style of black metal.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:58 pm 

I don't get much out of ITNE either. The riffs on that album all just sort of blur together in my head whenever I'm not listening to it. Rather disappointing.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:05 pm 

Nightside is my favorite Emperor album, followed right behind by Prometheus. The production style on that record I feel not only perfectly fits the music, but it's my absolute favorite black metal production job ever.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:18 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Emperor's songs were some of the first "metal" songs I heard but after all these years, I still can't get into their music. I'm generally not a fan of symphonic elements in metal so probably that explains it. I'm more inclined towards the hellenic style of black metal.

Symphonic elements in metal usually bore me to death because bands that do that sometimes feel they don't have to write good riffs. Emperor has awesome riffs though and the symphonic stuff adds great melodies. Don't care about them now though lol.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:19 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Nightside is my favorite Emperor album, followed right behind by Prometheus. The production style on that record I feel not only perfectly fits the music, but it's my absolute favorite black metal production job ever.

Are you referring to In the Nightside Eclipse with that comment on the production? Because the airy, indirect, constantly-flittering-away-from-your-ears thing that ITNE has going on is a big part of why I don't like it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:31 pm 

Yes, I'm referring to Nightside.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:34 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

Here's another recent article for you, with this little gold nugget in it:

Quote:
In Korea, once a woman is married, she is typically considered part of a family, which then in a way makes her no longer considered a woman.

http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.com/ ... id=2970439

As for the wanking teacher, well, he's a contract teacher, and at his age, it probably means he was fired from a full time position for doing something wrong before. He'll probably just relocate to another province and continue teaching. South Korea is a fucked up place because of the sexist culture (and many other things), Korean men can do no wrong.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:40 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I listened to The Mars Volta last night for the first time.

How in the FUCK can anyone find this garbage to be excellent?

One of my friends likes them. I thought they sucked and asked him why he liked them. The reply was "You don't 'get' it."
So, uh, sorry. I don't have an answer for you.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:37 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Perfectly understandable that it's just not one's thing. It's certainly a more rational viewpoint than "This album is fucking garbage and anyone who says otherwise is stupid" like so many people have done with Anthems.

Subrick wrote:

:lol:

ITNE is probably my least favorite of Emperor's full-lengths. It does have good atmosphere, but Ihsahn's vocals really did kind of suck at that point, and a lot of the riffs and song structures are good but not quite developed enough. The disparate guitar sounds don't always work that well. Plus Faust's drumming isn't at all impressive contrasted with Trym's. I also find the lyrical content of later Emperor more appealing. For my money, Anthems is as good or better in every way. I'm also one of "those people" (not sure how many of us there really are :oh shit: ) that rate Prometheus as possibly their very best.

"With Strength I Burn" was the first Emperor track I ever heard, and much like TheStormIRide's experience, probably the first black metal song I was ever consciously exposed to. Still one of their greatest pieces and a wonderful introduction to the genre, I must say :).

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:41 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Subrick wrote:

One of my friends likes them. I thought they sucked and asked him why he liked them. The reply was "You don't 'get' it."
So, uh, sorry. I don't have an answer for you.

They're one of those uber-pretentious bands marketed towards art student types. As if odd time signatures suddenly makes a band good...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:43 pm 

Can't agree with you there, fish man. Nightside Eclipse is the only Emperor album I can really enjoy. It's a blur of diverging sound, with a wraith shrieking far away, guitars shredding pure majestic evil, and the ghostly keys holding dominion over all. They started boring the hell out of me after that one.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:50 pm 

Nope - Starmere's right - Prometheus is crushing and awesome. Emperor is great, and I genuinely enjoy all of their albums - but that one...man...

to expand a bit - I think it's easily the most complete Emperor album - a time where Ihsahn was at the top of his compositional game, and the whole crew just fit together excellently. Like a well oiled rhythmic destroyer.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:55 pm 

@Necro I just wish the riffs and melodies were better :(. For me, the majesty didn't fully hit until Anthems. Tracks like "Inno a Satana" and "Towards the Pantheon" are great but Anthems is just such an ebon-bleeding, vampiric masterpiece. It's not perfect ("The Loss and Curse of Reverence" could've been sharpened up a bit), but yeah... fucking fuckballs.

As for the symphonic elements that rankle folks, I've always been one to take Emperor/Ihsahn's use of keyboards with a grain of salt, not always liking them for precisely what they are but more for how they figure into the overall musical vision, which is almost invariably fucking heroic, grandiose, and marked by intense aspiration.

I mean look at a song like "The Tongue of Fire." It's obtuse, it's hard to swallow, but fucking hell, how many musicians out there have the fucking balls to write a song like that at all, let alone orchestrate it so completely and execute it so flawlessly? It's...just goddamn impressive, is what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCPoYEbWc7U

Last edited by Under_Starmere on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:58 pm 

My favourite song off Nightside is actually Into the Infinity of Thoughts. Man, that first riff is god damn pure malice. I'm also fond of their pretty dumb lyrics in ''English'' on that album.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:11 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
I also find the lyrical content of later Emperor more appealing. For my money, Anthems is as good or better in every way. I'm also one of "those people" (not sure how many of us there really are :oh shit: ) that rate Prometheus as possibly their very best.

While I definitely see that comparing Prometheus to traditional, pared down black metal would make it seem overwrought and I guess a stupid wank show to the purist, I've always found it a potent and capable work that makes my hair stand on end and I hate having to turn it off for whatever reason. I guess I just don't care overmuch what genre it gets put in or calls itself, and I don't really see the problem with it being in the main an Ihsahn project. I enjoy its baroque style, themes and through lines. It appeals to me on its own, independent of what it's compared to. I just take it as it is, and I like it. As is common with taste, it's largely beyond my control (can't force myself to like or dislike something), but I'm not a purist, so that helps. That is to say that I wouldn't use "it's not actual black metal" as a point (or sixty) against it. Still, knowing roughly enough to say, I wouldn't call it black metal anyway so much as symphonic black/progressive metal? No matter how I slice it, I doubt I'll ever listen to Prometheus and think "dude .. what the fuck .. this thing sucks", whereas IX Equlibrium has faded significantly with time, outside of a couple songs I really like (Icaros and Icon E, for example). Though, my main problem with that album has more to do with production than anything else, and it is pretty disorganized compared to all the others. While Nightside is more of a traditional work, I just find it underwhelming whereas I find other examples of traditional black metal very satisfying in a way Nightside just isn't. It's not that I have anything against traditional, purist black metal, but I've never been one to set quality's center of gravity in tradition (though it is deeply satisfying when certain bands really bury their genre's nail). Emperor, I think I like their more traditional stuff least .. i like their symphonic experiments and Anthems a lot, SOPHISTICATED BLACK METAL label aside.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:21 pm 

Even though IX Equilibrium is a great album, you're right in that it hasn't aged as well as the others. Stylistically it's a bit all over the place (particularly with "The Warriors of Modern Death," which is just sort of a :scratch: moment, despite it being a good track on its own), and like ITNE it has certain sections that could've been edited better or developed more dynamically. The synths on that disc get to me more than on any of their others... at times they're just way too forefront and studio-sounding. Still...the album as a whole fucking crushes and it's got some of their best tracks as well. "The Source of Icon E" is always shiver-inducing and "Of Blindness and Subsequent Seers" is just a marvelous closer.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:28 pm 

hm. Well I am mainly going on last impression, which was definitely a while ago. It certainly isn't going anywhere, so I'll have to get royal and spin the bastard again! :)

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:33 pm 

Only the two first releases + ITNE is real

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:33 pm 

So I'm listening to Sunn o)))'s White One and I keep getting the phantom cellphone vibrate phenomenon. For such small speakers they have pretty damn good bass.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:49 pm 

So, I've listened to a lot of Black Sabbath just recently, and a little Jimi Hendrix, and I came upon the realisation that I've never really listened to Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin. As a metal fan, I feel those two bands are essential listening that I should remedy (even if Led isn't considered metal, they'd be at least incredibly important to its formation). So, what album would be best to start off with for both bands? They have pretty huge discographies, so a small point in the right direction as a good entry would be appreciated.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:51 pm 

Get The Book Of Talisman, it's my favourite Deep Purple.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:58 pm 

Led Zeppelin I and Machine Head for Deep Purple

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:09 pm 

With Purple it should be either Machine Head or In Rock, I guess. The first one in case you want to start with what would be their most accesible (yet undoubtedly awesome) classic, and the second one if you prefer to simply go all out and submerge yourself into screaming, epic rock. Once you're done with those, stuff like Fireball and Burn should do the trick. As for Zepp..... I think any (or all) of the first four would be a decent introduction to the band.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:34 pm 

BloodSacrificeShaman wrote:
So, I've listened to a lot of Black Sabbath just recently, and a little Jimi Hendrix, and I came upon the realisation that I've never really listened to Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin. As a metal fan, I feel those two bands are essential listening that I should remedy (even if Led isn't considered metal, they'd be at least incredibly important to its formation). So, what album would be best to start off with for both bands? They have pretty huge discographies, so a small point in the right direction as a good entry would be appreciated.

Led Zeppelin I, II, and IV are pretty much mandatory. III is pretty good too but I find myself listening to the other three much more often.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:45 pm 

As far as Emperor is concerned, I always did think Anthems was a bit better than ITNE. Will probably jam those tomorrow. I want to like ITNE eclipse so bad because that cover is just so great and it pains me to think that artwork that fucking awesome would be on an album I don't care for. :(

In other business, Dude gets 15 years in jail for fucking his dog

Quote:
In his courtroom testimony, Peterson admitted to being "sexually aroused from accidental contact with the animal's rear," but claims that occurred as he was “just playing with the dog.”

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:57 pm 

I never thought I would get a chance to discuss Martial Industrial stuff in a school setting before. Jazz Appreciation is a fun class. Hehe, I kind of went overboard while talking about Fusion stuff.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:01 pm 

iAm wrote:
So I'm listening to Sunn o)))'s White One and I keep getting the phantom cellphone vibrate phenomenon. For such small speakers they have pretty damn good bass.

That album makes my body numb if I listen to it too long on speakers. The bass is just insane.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:07 pm 

Anyone a fan of Streetlight Manifesto? Their new album leaked and it's everything I expected and more. I gotta give it more time, but I think it's shaping up to be their best effort yet.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:18 pm 

I don't know if this has ever been posted on here, but this is too damn good for me not to re-post. It's Star Wars: A New Hope remade in its entirety by way of splicing together a TON of 15-second fan clips. Most of them give me that charming home-movie vibe you can only capture through an afternoon of dicking around with a camcorder in your best friend's basement :-D

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:33 pm 

My contempt for contemporary eating habits and diets are evidenced by the now-empty large jar of crunchy peanut butter I finished over the last two days. Ambrosia of the Great Old Ones. :bow:

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:43 pm 

DeathcoreDecimator wrote:
Anyone a fan of Streetlight Manifesto? Their new album leaked and it's everything I expected and more. I gotta give it more time, but I think it's shaping up to be their best effort yet.

I saw them live last year after never really sampling them before and it was an experience. I was surprised to see a ton of moshpits.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 518  Next