Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:39 pm 

Maybe he likes money that's been in the hands of bands.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:43 pm 

Marag wrote:
England is pretty shit at metal nowadays though.

You know what? It's true. And I place the blame for that squarely on mindshadow. The only contemporary bands we have to thank mindshadow for are Grave Miasma and Cruciamentum (and possibly Binah), though Cruciamentum has broken up (also mindshadow's fault) so we're basically down to one.

Oh wait, there's also Abyssal. And Wodensthrone. And Ildra. mindshadow comes through again. Thank god for mindshadow.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:58 pm 

I've just bought the Necronomicon, I understand the first few stories are Lovecrafts early work and not up to his later standards, but I think his writing style is pretty cool, must've been really original when it was written.

There's lots of good recent English bands like Arc Atraxa and Wodensthrone, silly people

and Fen!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:07 pm 

mindshadow, is your sig supposed to be about you? Is that how you see yourself (and, indivisibly, England)?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:19 pm 

mindshadow wrote:
After constant battles on this site, being called names and the bizarre posts from Napero when ever I try to discuss how working class people are hard up against it here with recent policies and such, with politicians who no longer represent them, I can only conclude there is a strong anti - English sentiment on this board. Ironic when most here would describe themselves as against injustice and impartial.

Nope, there's no anti-English sentiment on this forum. There certainly is an anti-mindshadow sentiment though. I'd explain why there is, but you're clearly too stupid to understand so I see no need to bother.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:25 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
mindshadow, is your sig supposed to be about you? Is that how you see yourself (and, indivisibly, England)?

Bolt Thrower! Another fine English band.

@Morrigan, I'm flattered you stopped playing 'Hide from Life XIV' to comment on me

. :bow:

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:55 pm 

mindshadow wrote:
After constant battles on this site, being called names and the bizarre posts from Napero when ever I try to discuss how working class people are hard up against it here with recent policies and such, with politicians who no longer represent them, I can only conclude there is a strong anti - English sentiment on this board. Ironic when most here would describe themselves as against injustice and impartial.

Oh, this is about the time I told you to start a new thread to discuss politics rather than posting in the FFA, or at least I assume it is because I have received dozens of PMs from you since the last time I replied, roughly six months ago. For some reason, you find it appropriate to PM me links to news articles with bits of commentary rather than posting them publicly, for some odd reason.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:02 pm 

mindshadow wrote:

Don't be silly. I'd love to take my family to London if I could afford it, to enjoy the atmosphere and the folks and everything, from the sightseeing to the pubs to the food (even that, yes...) to simply the unbelievable feeling of just walking the streets. It's an awesome place. The problem is that I like it as it is, not as you'd want it to be in the La-La Land logic, that's all.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:31 pm 

Anti-English sentiment? Guilty as charged! I am also anti-South African, anti-Swiss, anti-ant and anti-Anti (I hate that Finnish name). I also like spelling 'and' as 'anti' just to really rub it in as to how Finns say 'hiss' as 'hissi' and 'kiosk' as 'kioski'.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:33 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
Anti-English sentiment? Guilty as charged! I am also anti-South African, anti-Swiss, anti-ant and anti-Anti (I hate that Finnish name). I also like spelling 'and' as 'anti' just to really rub it in as to how Finns say 'hiss' as 'hissi' and 'kiosk' as 'kioski'.

It's Antti, you racist bastard.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:03 pm 

Wow, my adrenaline's racing. This is mindshadow's big trial-before-the-Inquisition moment, where he stands defiantly before the tribunal of grim-faced, freedom-hating, tyranny-loving mods in the chambre ardente. Soon he'll be convicted as a heretic (though remembered as a hero) and burnt to death as we all scream and jeer like blind, drunken animals.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:11 pm 

Remember that Morbid Angel album, Heretic? Me neither.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:43 pm 

mindshadow: Martyr of the FFA. Internet masochist and sturdy friend to promised England.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:46 pm 

Each post a fresh scar on tender yet resolved flesh.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:39 pm 

waiguoren wrote:

You racist! My grandma was Swiss and she was the sweetest woman to ever grace this planet, i wont tolerate anything that might offend her memory(that'a a lie, she was more bitter than you are)

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:47 pm 

I'm almost embarrassed by how excited I am by this Godspeed You! Black Emperor vinyl that my brother got me as a belated birthday present. Almost.

Sometimes I almost can't tell if Mindshadow is serious or just trying to get a rise out of people, but it always turns out he just can't help acting like that. Keep on fighting the power, brother!

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:55 pm 

Mindshadow just rambles on to himself until we tell him how much we don't care. Then he gets upset.

Also, we all obviously loathe the English, just look at the language we're communicating in!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:59 pm 

Since my semester is done, I'll go spend some time in the countryside to see some of my family. Time to do Star Trek DS9, The Legend of Korra and Gentlemen Bastards marathons! It's when you live in a non internet place where you truly see that you're dependent but eh, I'll be able to walk in the forest, that's something, right?

dystopia4 wrote:
I'm almost embarrassed by how excited I am by this Godspeed You! Black Emperor vinyl that my brother got me as a belated birthday present. Almost.

Which one? I really need to get their albums. Especially Lift Your Skinny Fists...

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:29 pm 

mindshadow wrote:
There's lots of good recent English bands like Arc Atraxa and Wodensthrone, silly people

and Fen!

Arc Atrata? they have a song called 'Forsaken'..

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:42 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I'll be able to walk in the forest, that's something, right?

Hell yes it is. Envy. Also, envy that your semester's over. I still have two big papers and three weeks left. :(

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:08 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Which one? I really need to get their albums. Especially Lift Your Skinny Fists...

Yeah, it was Lift Your Skinny Fists. F# is my favourite, but this one is great as well. "Sleep" is easily one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:08 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
I'll be able to walk in the forest, that's something, right?

Hell yes it is. Envy. Also, envy that your semester's over. I still have two big papers and three weeks left. :(

I shake my fist at Tony. I still have 6 weeks before graduation. 1 paper, 1 seminar panel, one portfolio exhibition preceded by big prompts, and lots of time in between sitting in class. UGH!
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:26 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Since my semester is done, I'll go spend some time in the countryside to see some of my family. Time to do Star Trek DS9, The Legend of Korra and Gentlemen Bastards's marathons! It's when you live in a non internet place where you truly see that you're dependent but eh, I'll be able to walk in the forest, that's something, right?

dystopia4 wrote:

Yay! As awesome as having a full-time job and shit is, I do miss the absolute rush of those first few days of summer break.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:42 pm 

LlamaTrainer wrote:
Mindshadow just rambles on to himself until we tell him how much we don't care. Then he gets upset.

Also, we all obviously loathe the English, just look at the language we're communicating in!

It's not like you americans have much of a choice though (;

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Yay! As awesome as having a full-time job and shit is, I do miss the absolute rush of those first few days of summer break.

I do not miss the rush of being forever broke. Too Extreme for me.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:00 pm 

Marag wrote:
I do not miss the rush of being forever broke. Too Extreme for me.

Well, exactly, that always wins out in the end. Like most things in life, it's easy to only remember the best parts. :P

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:36 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Grave_Wyrm wrote:

I shake my fist at Tony. I still have 6 weeks before graduation. 1 paper, 1 seminar panel, one portfolio exhibition preceded by big prompts, and lots of time in between sitting in class. UGH!

But you'll graduate! I still have at least 1 year, maybe 3 semesters to go including a 2 months unpaid internship to do.

And yes, Gnu, being free is cool but being broke all the time is lame -_- It's my own problem though since I could do some replacement teaching but my dossier is not completed (I fucking hate school commissions bureaucratie!)

Exclusive Star Wars VII poster!
Spoiler: show

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:46 pm 

Does Carrie Fisher have a mullet?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:48 pm 

Yes, and the jedi on the left has a photoshopped-on head.

Metantoine wrote:
I could do some replacement teaching but my dossier is not completed (I fucking hate school commissions bureaucratie!)

Bummer. My professor told us about a friend of his who had to do an additional semester of grad school after he would have graduated because his Masters thesis formatting was off. The margins were a half inch too wide and his name lacked the middle initial that appeared on his transcript. :(

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:45 am 

waiguoren wrote:
mindshadow wrote:
I was going to but Mentantoine likes me so I've decided to stay and someone's got to put all the bigots on here straight :-P

Tony loves everyone, even rabid hamsters - really, it means nothing. I even heard (hearsay mind you) that Tony likes every single damn band that sends him money, so what does it mean - that he likes money, or likes bands with money?

No one really knows.

Sorry, Mindshadow, but I don't really like you! And Waiguoren, you know I looooove free stuff! Thanks for that YOB CD by the way.

And hamsters are pretty useless creatures :( But if they're rabid, you can at least throw them at Mindshadow hoping they'll bite!

G_W: that's pretty insane, scholars are often pretty harsh for nothing, it seems. I'm sure something else was off, there's legal ways (univ ombudsman) if your friend feels it was a bad decision.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:49 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Bummer. My professor told us about a friend of his who had to do an additional semester of grad school after he would have graduated because his Masters thesis formatting was off. The margins were a half inch too wide and his name lacked the middle initial that appeared on his transcript. :(

Maybe it's because I didn't go to regular university and don't have first hand experience with the subject, but that sounds like an incredibly stupid reason to not be allowed to graduate.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:01 am 

It's standardization, so if you deviate, it's rejected. In the long run, it's a good idea, since the readers and reviewers read them by the hundreds, so deviations get annoying and confusing. Standardization is a vital part of good science, so it makes sense, but it's really meticulous. To make it more challenging, it changes very slightly every couple of years. It seems arbitrary, but his not getting to graduate is a representation of the outside world. Whole, completed research projects don't even get read if they deviate from the standardization. Style and personality is not a component of the project, and there's a zero tolerance policy.

You'd think one of the several people who edit the thing would notice that stuff, but seriously .. can't there be a rejection note a la the review queue: "Punctuation in References is complete bullshit. Fix and resubmit."

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:07 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
though Cruciamentum has broken up

Fortunately for the world that was an unfounded rumor and they're working on their debut full length.

Today's "old man yells at clouds"-style thought: I hate all these damn kids and their growing tendency toward calling any photograph at all a "selfie." "Here's a selfie I took of my dog." "Here's a selfie I took of an albatross in flight." *shakes cane, froths at the mouth*

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:13 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
froths at the mouth*

Rabid hamster!

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:19 am 

I saw a commercial about some phone and the guy narrating it called a picture of food a "selfie." So mildly infuriating.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:29 am 

Selfies are a stupid thing anyway. One of the dumber new things people my age have started, although not nearly as stupid as the hipsterrific "short hair, absurd beard" thing.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:22 am 

I've gone on and on about the big beard/short hair thing. Fuck that fad.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:59 am 

mindshadow wrote:
@Morrigan, I'm flattered you stopped playing 'Hide from Life XIV' to comment on me

. :bow:

Sorry to disappoint, but I actually posted that during a loading time while playing... so I didn't interrupt anything. ;)

(True story!)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:00 am 

Adriankat wrote:
I saw a commercial about some phone and the guy narrating it called a picture of food a "selfie." So mildly infuriating.

He actually calls it a "food selfie". Infinitely worse somehow.

Subrick wrote:
Selfies are a stupid thing anyway. One of the dumber new things people my age have started

To be fair I think you dummies only invented the term. There was a photo comp going around FB recently with a b&w photo of some famous guy taking a picture of himself in a mirror with a giant old timey camera.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:51 am 

Wait what? Are people actually referring to photos not featuring themselves or another person making a picture of him/herself as selfies?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:59 am 

mindshadow wrote:
And how can I Fuck off back to England on the Internet :scratch: wanker

It seems that you've failed to grasp my (un)subtle attempt at wit. Did you ever watch The Simpsons and wonder why Barney said "Go back to Russia!" to Lisa when she offered them gazpacho?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 511, 512, 513, 514, 515, 516, 517, 518  Next