Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:19 pm 

@mindshadow Many people in the rest of the world don't sign contracts at all. How will we survive. :| Shouldn't you be writing to your local constable or parishman or whomever about this stuff instead of telling us about it? You might actually not be completely wasting your time doing that, as opposed to posting about these things here. Zodijackyl isn't a congressman, he's a mod on a internet metal forum.

I'm pretty lukewarm on Incantation as well. Their stuff is cool but I've never found it to be anything amazing and I can't relate to the hype they receive.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:52 pm 

Zodijackyl, that screen cap looks like something straight out of Crappy Diem.

Moderator's notes: Sod off.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:28 am 

It makes me unreasonably mad whenever I see someone use a grave accent (`) as an apostrophe.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:52 am 

My internet being down all of yesterday meant I missed the amazing stalking of Zodi by mindshadow. I don't have words for that, so I will instead sit here in awe of mindshadow (once again) following the definition of insanity.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:27 am 

Adriankat wrote:
...grave accent...

GRRAAAAAAAHHHH! BRAAAAAINNN!!!!!

lastdodobird
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:46 am 

Is there a way to see when was the last time I posted before today? I've been away from these parts for a long time.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:02 am 

lastdodobird wrote:
Is there a way to see when was the last time I posted before today? I've been away from these parts for a long time.

search.php?author_id=60211&sr=posts

lastdodobird
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:18 am 

oh there. thanks. huh, didn't realize I've posted a bit per year for the past several years.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:21 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
@mindshadow Many people in the rest of the world don't sign contracts at all. How will we survive. :| Shouldn't you be writing to your local constable or parishman or whomever about this stuff instead of telling us about it? You might actually not be completely wasting your time doing that, as opposed to posting about these things here. Zodijackyl isn't a congressman, he's a mod on a internet metal forum.

I'm pretty lukewarm on Incantation as well. Their stuff is cool but I've never found it to be anything amazing and I can't relate to the hype they receive.

Because here people who are unemployed will have to travel to a place of work then find out they're not needed or can only work two hours that day - for minimum wage. We're going backward, I'm surprised the eu allow this as they recently deemed our benefits too low to survive on.
After being rebuffed whenever I try to explain how things are here (I either get abuse or propaganda articles thrown back at me) I sent many links to a few mods from different sources - I got no answers just told to stop sending pm's, yet we can have a thread on US politics.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:04 am 

Napero wrote:
Adriankat wrote:
...grave accent...

GRRAAAAAAAHHHH! BRAAAAAINNN!!!!!

nonono
Grave accent:
MHUTHNS IN YH BWRHAAAIN!!!!
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:36 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I really appreciate early Incantation, but I rarely listen to those albums these days. My tastes moved away from that sound in DM years ago.

The first two albums are awesome and the third's pretty cool, too. I don't listen to them all that often, either, but they're definitely a masterful band. It's just a shame about all their copycats who seemingly forgot to write any songs to go with that monstrous sound.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:42 am 

I just found death metal again after a break of almost a year. Nothing makes editing corporate Powerpoint presentations more fun than an overdose of coffee and Beneath the Folds of Flesh.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:46 am 

Acrobat wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
I really appreciate early Incantation, but I rarely listen to those albums these days. My tastes moved away from that sound in DM years ago.

The first two albums are awesome and the third's pretty cool, too. I don't listen to them all that often, either, but they're definitely a masterful band. It's just a shame about all their copycats who seemingly forgot to write any songs to go with that monstrous sound.

I have to admit, even though I don't listen to every new band, the predominance of the sludgy, "cavernous" sound a la Incantation in new bands has definitely over-saturated me on that style.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:51 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I have to admit, even though I don't listen to every new band, the predominance of the sludgy, "cavernous" sound a la Incantation in new bands has definitely over-saturated me on that style.

Didn't your tastes in death metal move away from that style years ago?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:56 am 

I wouldn't have known that if I didn't keep listening to some bands over the years and discover such a thing!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:02 am 

mindshadow wrote:
Because here people who are unemployed will have to travel to a place of work then find out they're not needed or can only work two hours that day

But if they're unemployed they wouldn't be getting paid regardless. I'm not sure this is a huge problem.

Quote:
I got no answers just told to stop sending pm's, yet we can have a thread on US politics.

Didn't you already get your own thread in which to talk about politics? I'm pretty sure you did. Yeah I'm definitely sure you did.

Like I said before, you should probably get involved in local politics or community action or write to your neighborhood vigilante organization or something, because that way you might achieve something. Trying to get people here to listen to you or give a damn about your cryptic warnings is simply a waste of time.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:11 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:

Incantation is certainly a good band, but I tend to consider them almost like ambient music: total mood music. I've only really heard Onward to Golgotha, a dirty rotten record to be sure. But just by very essence of it's being, it lacks what a lot of people look for in music: hooks. It's got dank, dark atmosphere in spades, and a guitar tone for the ages, but it's so obscure and angular, even the grooves are demented. Maybe their later albums are different, though. I'm certainly no expert.

So I went to see Silver Mt. Zion last night (or whatever they are calling themselves these days). Wow, very good show, they sounded great. I was a bit disappointed they didn't have much going on on stage, considering the ambient nature of even their latest, more conventional album from which almost the entirety of the setlist was derived. I pretty much just closed my eyes and swayed to the music and let that beautiful, beautiful wall of sound envelop me.

EDIT: I just want to mention: mindshadow's mention of "unemployed" workers driving to find out they aren't needed, made me think of something. I take calls for a company called Labor Ready at the sleazy call centre I work for right now and it happens all the time. Temporary laborers are treated like garbage. Personally I find the whole idea behind labor ready and other "temporary" staffing solutions to be pretty distasteful and even dangerous to workers. I mean, there are companies like Wal Mart who put some of these workers on a "return ticket" for YEARS without hiring them, for obvious, greasy as fuck reasons. Of course, a lot of the people who work through labour ready are terrible, bottom of the barrel workers, but I still feel like these places set a terrible precedent in low wage/low skill jobs where workers are already severely at risk for being taken advantage of or otherwise mistreated. And at the EXTREME end we have examples from our embattled Temporary Foreign Worker program up here in Canada, where workers were brought from places like the Philippines, only to find out the workplace they were supposed to work at was shut down/burned down or they were otherwise not needed. The worst part about this is that many of the times, the companies who bring these workers over do not take responsibility for them, and they get stranded in Canada, without any status. They can't get a regular job because they aren't citizens, which obviously puts them at risk, not to mention a lack of insurance and all the problems that come with living "under" society. Sorry for the tangent, I am wired on coffee right now and pumped 'cause I just got offered a new job so I'm in a great (even manic) mood. :lol:

mindshadow

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:36 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
mindshadow wrote:
Because here people who mum wa unemployed will have to travel to a place of work then find out they'rein tnot needed or can only work two hours that day

But iwe'reey're unemployed they wouldn't be getting paid regardless. I'm not sure this is a huge problem.

It is when benefits will be stopped unless you stack shelves for minimum wages as and when an employer dictates - not allowed to do voluntary work In the field that you studied in. Not to mention competition now we arent allowed to restrict the amount of people coming here also looking for work.Workers are squeezed from both sides, the balance has shifted much too far in favour of the employer - many of whom take full advantage of the present situation.

With regards to your 'vigilante' group, most people here (UK) now realise what's happening, I've just been having to constantly defend myself on here - if I hadn't been verbally attacked I wouldn't have felt the need to post every article printed on the matter that I wanted to bring to the attention of people here.

I have no interest in joining any group with extreme views, all I can do is vote. Buddhism has taught me to go with the changes in life rather than fighting. Live by the sword, die by the sword and all that.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:47 am 

Subrick wrote:
My internet being down all of yesterday meant I missed the amazing stalking of Zodi by mindshadow. I don't have words for that, so I will instead sit here in awe of mindshadow (once again) following the definition of insanity.

He's just another cog in the machine of the really elaborate anti-drugs propaganda campaign that brought us Phish and tie-dye.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:06 am 

Guess you can call me an Incantation fanatic then, because I think everything the band has done has been great in its own way. I even listen to The Infernal Storm loads. They're absolutely tops in my books and I have little need for the imitators, although some of them are decent enough. Also Incantation delivered two of the absolute best death metal live performances I"ve ever seen. The contrast between the doom and raging tremolo riffs, the unrelentingly twisted and evil sound, smart and captivating drum work...all combine to create pretty much 90% of what I could ever want in a death metal band.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:48 am 

The zero-hour contracts situation in the UK (if it unfolds how the papers are suggesting) is indeed terrible. I would certainly be interested in some debate on it, though mindshadow you do have a thread where you can raise issues like this, and myself and others have talked with you in said thread about UK politics. The reasons people seem to get pissed is that (a) you post cryptically, often far away from the thread; and (b) you won't actually engage in any debate that disagrees with you. These two things combined (plus the stalking of Zodi's inbox...which I really don't understand??) result in the community-wide exasperation, and (as you put it) dislike or lack of interest (more fairly) of the UK and its 'issues', I would suspect.

Never listened to Incantation myself, where is the best place to start? Most of the death metal I listen to is old school Swedish inspired. Haven't really moved beyond Morbid Angel as far as US death metal goes.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:15 pm 

I'd suggest Mortal Throne of Nazarene, one of the darkest and most evil death metal recordings out there, or else Diabolical COnquest, a somewhat more elaborated affair with Daniel from the Chasm doing guitar and vocals.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:22 pm 

Pippin_Took wrote:
Never listened to Incantation myself, where is the best place to start? Most of the death metal I listen to is old school Swedish inspired. Haven't really moved beyond Morbid Angel as far as US death metal goes.

Onward to Golgotha, and Mortal Throne of Nazarene are the masterpieces. Distorted, angular, dripping with malice and heavy as fuck. I feel Incantation takes a real, concentrated effort on the part of the listener to "get it", but it's incredibly rewarding.

The Incantation versus Immolation debate interests me. I respect Immolation and seen them a few times, but compared to Incantation it feels too arranged and super technical to me. I have no feeling when listening to Immolation. I'm a huge Incantation fanboy, though...they kill me. I hate their artwork, though.

Last edited by bronxeel on Wed May 07, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mindshadow

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:22 pm 

^^^The last govt here opened 'the flood gates' to unskilled labour, the present one is no better. It is so big business and the rich have virtually an unlimited pool of cheap compliant workers. In my thread you quoted govt propaganda. You would call anyone complaining of this unfairness as a bigot when in fact it is you that has bigoted ideals.

I sent a mod lots of articles to explain myself, more than needed to prove to any reasonable person the state we're now in. You dont live in the UK and i suspect when you did it wasnt in England. Its futile trying to reason with you and im not going to try - what has been allowed to happen here is very wrong, our infrastructure was never set up to accomodate so many for one thing.

Last edited by mindshadow on Wed May 07, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:24 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Diabolical COnquest, a somewhat more elaborated affair with Daniel from the Chasm doing guitar and vocals.

That was a fantastic team-up.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:27 pm 

mindshadow wrote:
immigration

Can't you ever talk about anything else? People say I'm one note...

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:28 pm 

It was. I do wish the production were a little different though. It sounds a little lightweight compared with most of their other stuff, even the later Incantation material which doesn't get as much praise (though I think it really is just about as good...)

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:35 pm 

Diabolical Conquest was the first Incantation album I've heard, hell it's also the first death metal album I've bought so I'd recommend that one. The previous two are amazing, but I have a soft spot for DQ.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:21 pm 

mindshadow wrote:
more than needed to prove to any reasonable person

That's the crux of it, yes.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:07 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
EDIT: I just want to mention: mindshadow's mention of "unemployed" workers driving to find out they aren't needed, made me think of something. I take calls for a company called Labor Ready at the sleazy call centre I work for right now and it happens all the time. Temporary laborers are treated like garbage. Personally I find the whole idea behind labor ready and other "temporary" staffing solutions to be pretty distasteful and even dangerous to workers. I mean, there are companies like Wal Mart who put some of these workers on a "return ticket" for YEARS without hiring them, for obvious, greasy as fuck reasons. Of course, a lot of the people who work through labour ready are terrible, bottom of the barrel workers, but I still feel like these places set a terrible precedent in low wage/low skill jobs where workers are already severely at risk for being taken advantage of or otherwise mistreated. And at the EXTREME end we have examples from our embattled Temporary Foreign Worker program up here in Canada, where workers were brought from places like the Philippines, only to find out the workplace they were supposed to work at was shut down/burned down or they were otherwise not needed. The worst part about this is that many of the times, the companies who bring these workers over do not take responsibility for them, and they get stranded in Canada, without any status. They can't get a regular job because they aren't citizens, which obviously puts them at risk, not to mention a lack of insurance and all the problems that come with living "under" society. Sorry for the tangent, I am wired on coffee right now and pumped 'cause I just got offered a new job so I'm in a great (even manic) mood. :lol:

Aye labor ready is indeed shameful as hell, we get them around my work sometimes in the summer when we're really busy. I didn't know they were up in Canada too that's interesting. I always feel bad for the guys we get because most of them don't even speak English so nobody really wants to work with them in the first place. Aside from that they really don't have good comprehension of the job (at least at my place of employment) and my job isn't exactly easy either, on top of that the guys aren't allowed to drive so it's basically like having somebody who you can't talk to (sometimes but not always) get in your way the whole day. Worst part for those guys is the pay though, I had one guy tell me that they were getting minimum wage, so like $8.50 an hour or whatever it is, when we make over $27 an hour.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:17 pm 

Alright you guys got me curious enough to listen to some Incantation... Somehow I haven't heard a single track by them in about 10 years

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:37 pm 

mindshadow wrote:
I've just been having to constantly defend myself on here - if I hadn't been verbally attacked I wouldn't have felt the need to post every article...

mindshadow wrote:
Buddhism has taught me to go with the changes in life rather than fighting.

:|

mindshadow wrote:
Its futile trying to reason with you and im not going to try

:thumbsup:

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:05 pm 

I've decided to throw out every CD that iTunes recognizes.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:04 pm 

Well that seems daft, why in the hell would you do that?

Azmodes wrote:

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:45 pm 

To ascend into kvlt nirvana ofcourse.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:51 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:

If I pay for shipping and a generous handling fee, can i haz?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:59 pm 

mindshadow wrote:
I sent a mod lots of articles to explain myself, more than needed to prove to any reasonable person the state we're now in. You dont live in the UK and i suspect when you did it wasnt in England. Its futile trying to reason with you and im not going to try - what has been allowed to happen here is very wrong, our infrastructure was never set up to accomodate so many for one thing.

I never figured out what you were trying to explain to me. I just told you to start a thread about this rather than posting in the FFA. Perhaps I should repeat the key point:

Zodijackyl wrote:
You have to say EXACTLY what you mean rather than sharing a link with an intentionally vague explanation. This is not about the point you are making, it is about how you are doing it. Not only are you addressing this to an audience primarily from other countries who have little involvement in this, you are intentionally avoiding assembling a coherent explanation of your own, just routinely inserting it into a casual chat thread with a graceless presentation roughly on par with a rambling man shouting on the streets.

edit: Conversation removed by request.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:28 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
To ascend into kvlt nirvana ofcourse.

Couldn't have said it any better (unless you made ofcourse into 2 words :))
darkeningday wrote:
Sick6Six wrote:

If I pay for shipping and a generous handling fee, can i haz?

It's going to be quite a hefty shipping fee, apparently I listen to a lot of popular music :panda:

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:41 pm 

ohhhh ohhh can I get in on this too then? I'd like to dibs some stuff if you're just gonna give it away. Send me a PM if you're actually interested in getting rid you your stuff.

Azmodes wrote:

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:56 pm 

I can't recall the last time I put a professionally made CD into my computer and iTunes didn't recognize it. iTunes' CD database is maintained by music listeners importing data to it, not Apple.

Which often means the data has errors I have to correct when importing the CD, but whatever.

Also do you have any power/speed/melodic thrash metal CDs?

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 514, 515, 516, 517, 518  Next