Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:28 pm 

dday, I think that's probably the first thing I've ever seen you write about anything music-related on this forum. I still to this day have absolutely no clue if you even listen to metal.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:37 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Speaking of Anathema's acoustic work, is it just me or is Falling Deeper one of the most underrated 'remake' albums of all time? And I thought Hindsight would hold that title into the next century...

Just an incredible band.

I still need to check it out Falling Deeper. I need to give Hindsight more listens, but personally I enjoyed it although not all the reworked versions impressed me that much. I liked the more drastic reworks more, such as One Last Goodbye which sounds very different, but remains very emotional though in a completely different way.

The acoustic concert was also very interesting, as in most of the songs Danny actually layered a lot of stuff with his looper - he often did a basic "beat" on his acoustic guitar, and sometimes also looped a riff. But still the songs had a much more minimalistic feel, and it definitely worked. Lost Control was quite amazing, with the intro piano replaced by harmonics. And of course Temporary Peace and Flying...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:27 pm 

So Zimmerman has been found not guilty of both murder and manslaughter.

Good. The system worked here. The prosecution wasn't able to prove its case, and a lot of the witness testimony and whatnot showed that Zimmerman's self defense claim was not, in fact, bullshit. He used justifiable force against what he felt was an immediate threat to his life, and therefore he deserves to be excused of all wrongdoing and set free.

Also, the prosecution lost the moment they had Rachel Jeantel take the stand. She singlehandedly killed whatever chance they had of attaining a conviction against him.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:29 pm 

I'm glad this was finally set straight. Good luck to Zimmerman. Florida brace for riots.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:31 pm 

So I'm listening to my second-ever Woods of Ypres song and kind of wondering why no one else has ever noticed that this just sounds like Crash Test Dummies covering Staind.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:43 pm 

:ugh:

That sounds fucking terrible.

My collection

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:47 pm 

Zimmerman's a fuckface. Guns down a kid after he stalked him and baited the kid into a fight for no reason other than believing himself to be a superhero because he's a "neighborhood watch warrior." The dispatcher told him not to follow Martin, but he still did, claiming, "These assholes, they always get away." The whole situation could have been avoided if Zimmerman simply grounded himself in reality and stopped thinking he was Clint Eastwood.

Perhaps they couldn't meet the criteria for conviction, but anyone hailing Zimmerman a hero or the victim of this incident needs to get their head checked.

Obligatory Last FM Link

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:04 pm 

ARFCOM rejoices, I think we just jumped 35 pages in a half hour. Fireworks and gun fire going off across the country in celebration. We are pooling together a fund to buy Zimmerman an AR15 in celebration. That was one hell of a tense wait for the verdict!

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:05 pm 

:lol: What a convenient time for you to show back up.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:06 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
:lol: What a convenient time for you to show back up.

<3

In all seriousness I am done. In the moment of celebration I just remembered you all and had to drop by for a quick hello. All the same, if you want to see something funny you should check out Democratic Underground. Those guys are having an absolute meltdown.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:10 pm 

Finally, something else to add to your spank bank! I'm sure the Rodney King footage was getting a bit old.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:14 pm 

I'm dealing with people at the moment who, in the wake of Zimmerman's verdict, are claiming that racism is only racism when it's against minorities, and that racism is not racism when it's against white people.

*head explodes from the stupid*

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:16 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I'm dealing with people at the moment who, in the wake of Zimmerman's verdict, are claiming that racism is only racism when it's against minorities, and that racism is not racism when it's against white people.

Welcome to the "power + prejudice" crowd. They're a special bunch and personally I'd recommend just leaving them alone to simmer in their own ramblings.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:18 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Finally, something else to add to your spank bank! I'm sure the Rodney King footage was getting a bit old.

Oh please, it was not white people who turned this into a race issue. Did you see Jessie Jackson on Fox News earlier? He was raving mad as a hatter. The verdict was a relief to me as a concealed carrier. Do you really want to go down the path of a justice system who convicts based off mob mentality and not evidence in a court of law? I believe Mark Steyn said it best:

"If you know your Magna Carta, you'll be aware that "no official shall place a man on trial ... without producing credible witnesses to the truth of it." But the rights enjoyed by free men in the England of King John in 1215 are harder to come by in the State of Florida eight centuries later."

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:20 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Subrick wrote:

Welcome to the "power + prejudice" crowd. They're a special bunch and personally I'd recommend just leaving them alone to simmer in their own ramblings.

That's the exact argument this person is giving to me. This person is about as typical a New England liberal PC feminist type as possible. She's throwing at me all these links to "white privilege" papers and whatnot, and it's fascinating just how much she is refusing to listen to any other argument that isn't conforming to her viewpoints.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:25 pm 

Obviously there can be prejudice based on anything, including being white, but you're an idiot if you think "reverse racism" is actually a serious problem. There are so many whiny fucking middle-class white guys on the internet who want to get their own piece of the pity pie.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:26 pm 

Subrick wrote:
That's the exact argument this person is giving to me. This person is about as typical a New England liberal PC feminist type as possible. She's throwing at me all these links to "white privilege" papers and whatnot, and it's fascinating just how much she is refusing to listen to any other argument that isn't conforming to her viewpoints.
Yeah, sounds like you've got yourself a textbook Tumblr-blogging social justice "activist" there. They're funny types (mostly because most of their justice logic usually ends up being ironically racist towards minorities themselves, e.g. "it's okay if minorities are prejudiced because they can't possibly know any better due to the standards of the cishet-driven patriarchy we live in"), but you'll get a headache if you try debating them. Just smile and nod your head and giggle at them under your breath.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:27 pm 

I frankly can't comprehend the thought process behind anyone who legitimately considers Zimmerman a "hero." Whether you think he was actually acting in self defense or not, the entire altercation was a result of his own poor judgment.

I don't really care for media circus cases in general, but I'd like to remind folks that the whole reason this became such a huge issue to begin with was because originally Zimmerman wasn't going to be charged at all and there wasn't even going to be a trial.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:29 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
So I'm listening to my second-ever Woods of Ypres song and kind of wondering why no one else has ever noticed that this just sounds like Crash Test Dummies covering Staind.

I remember listening a song of WoY and sounded like Beck's 'loser' styled stuff (in Woods 4 maybe?). I heard W5 after all the praise it received only to learn that Gold was trying really hard to sound like Type O Negative and probably most people was condescending to him cause he died. What a mediocre album '5' it was.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:30 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
I frankly can't comprehend the thought process behind anyone who legitimately considers Zimmerman a "hero." Whether you think he was actually acting in self defense or not, the entire altercation was a result of his own poor judgment.

Because people like T51b get a hardon at the thought of legal murder. Bonus points for minorities!

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:32 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Obviously there can be prejudice based on anything, including being white, but you're an idiot if you think "reverse racism" is actually a serious problem. There are so many whiny fucking middle-class white guys on the internet who want to get their own piece of the pity pie.

It's not "reverse racism." It's simply another form of racism.

That said, the verdict for Zimmerman didn't surprise me much. The prosecutor continually fumbled, especially with a lack of evidence for murder. Likewise, under Florida law, what he did was deemed not illegal. Sad situation, but reasonable verdict.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:32 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:

I don't really care for media circus cases in general, but I'd like to remind folks that the whole reason this became such a huge issue to begin with was because originally Zimmerman wasn't going to be charged at all and there wasn't even going to be a trial.

Which is the exact same time it became a race issue when Al Sharpton and friends started raising the metaphorical roof against Zimmerman (who is not even white). There never should have been a trial. Tthe police investigation reached the same conclusion that the jury did. In the end it does not matter, justice was done and all is well.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:34 pm 

Derigin wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

It's not "reverse racism." It's simply another form of racism.

People often call it reverse racism, which is why I put it in quotes. Regardless, my main point stands.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:35 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:

Because people like T51b get a hardon at the thought of legal murder. Bonus points for minorities!

I will admit that I am more at ease to know that the legal system will stand beside me if I have to take the life of an individual who is sitting on my chest and pummeling me into the ground.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:37 pm 

Especially if you stalk them and goad them into attacking you first! Convenient!

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:38 pm 

T51b wrote:
Which is the exact same time it became a race issue when Al Sharpton and friends started raising the metaphorical roof against Zimmerman (who is not even white).

You're not the first person I've met who's tried to use this point. Are you seriously trying to suggest that minorities can't be racist against other minorities?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:40 pm 

T51b wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

I will admit that I am more at ease to know that the legal system will stand beside me if I have to take the life of an individual who is sitting on my chest and pummeling me into the ground.

This was also only in the example of Florida, whose laws specifically permit a level of excessive force in self-defense. Most jurisdictions still depend upon the notion of "reasonable force," which more often than not means "force returned in kind." Shooting an unarmed individual, even if they're pummeling you, wouldn't necessarily warrant the use of a weapon as a response.

That said, there's more to this case, specifically, than Zimmerman's use of his gun. The prosecutor's office did not have the evidence to prove intent, to prove negligence, or to determine if the use of force he used in defense qualifies as "too" excessive. The law was pretty ambiguous about that. Because of the lack of real, hard evidence, even if he was charged with manslaughter (which was the more likely charge he would have been given), it would have gone to a retrial. And, at that point, he would have likely been acquitted. I respect the jury for avoiding that.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:44 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Especially if you stalk them and goad them into attacking you first! Convenient!

Also convenient when Treyvon was well beyond Zimmerman and able to head home, but decided to turn around and engage him right? Funny how the media did not lament on that near as much. It sure blew the prosecutions case apart in the court room though.

AppleQueso wrote:
T51b wrote:
Which is the exact same time it became a race issue when Al Sharpton and friends started raising the metaphorical roof against Zimmerman (who is not even white).

You're not the first person I've met who's tried to use this point. Are you seriously trying to suggest that minorities can't be racist against other minorities?

Oh no, of course not. The Hispanic and African American communities have worse relations in some areas than compared to whites. We were talking about reverse racism in particular though. For that theory to go the way it was originally intended the "dominant" race in society has to be involved. Still an awful lot of people trying to say Zimmerman was white as well.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:55 pm 

Reverse racism is not a fucking thing! Jesus Christ. Racism is racism, no matter which race is being oppressed.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:56 pm 

failsafeman wrote:

CLASS WARFARE AGAINST THE MIDDLE CLASS YOU HATER.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :P In other news I find myself stressed that I don't have Marduk's Dark Endless on my phone. :|

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:04 am 

TheRealThing wrote:
Reverse racism is not a fucking thing! Jesus Christ. Racism is racism, no matter which race is being oppressed.

I agree with you completely, sociological theory does not however. You can contain your laughter and ridicule, we do not even need to beat that dead horse anymore.

Police scanners reporting a white man shot by a man in a dark hoodie in Miami.

Helter Skelter bitches, hide the white women!!!!

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:08 am 

Nah, sociological theory would, actually. That said, man, maybe it's time to move this whole argument to a more specific place or thread? No need to turn the FFA into a socio-political debate.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:08 am 

The Angry Arab is critical of a story from The Economist:

Quote:
"Until then, Syrian Sunnis had rarely defined themselves in sectarian terms." This is one of the dumbest claims in a collection of dumb observation in the special section about Arab uprisings in the Economist. You mean to tell me that the Ikhwan, and the Jihadis, and the Salafis in Syria were all secular until Bashshar made them sectarian? This is like when Golda Meir observed that Palestinians were making her a killer of children, that she did not want to do it. The Economist needs to educate itself about the history of Ikhwan sectarian crimes in Syria which go back to the 1970s. Also, I like when in Western media they all repeat the silly claim by Syrian armed groups that it was Bashshar who made the conflict sectarian. When pressed, they never provide examples. In fact, the New York Times had to print a correction when Anne Barnard claimed repeatedly (falsely) that Bashshar referred to his enemies as Sunnis. Look how the Economist put it: "Mr Assad’s regime worked hard not just to crush the revolt but to turn it into a sectarian battle." But how? How, Mr. Watson?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:09 am 

t15b is a big crybaby even when gloating.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:12 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
dday, I think that's probably the first thing I've ever seen you write about anything music-related on this forum. I still to this day have absolutely no clue if you even listen to metal.

Heh, I was pretty active on the metal front of M-A from about 2005 to 2009. While I still listen to an enormous amount of metal in my personal life (as well as regularly attending concerts in and around my city), discussing it through online mediums has become less and less rewarding each year for me. I still regularly lurk the metal forum when I'm in need of recs, and I read an average of one review each week... I just don't talk about it much.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Last edited by darkeningday on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:12 am 

Same statement I made applies to you, too, John.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:14 am 

Derigin wrote:
Nah, sociological theory would, actually. That said, man, maybe it's time to move this whole argument to a more specific place or thread? No need to turn the FFA into a socio-political debate.

Your wish is my command.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99852

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:56 am 

Man, I'm stuck with a dilemma. I want to get as much stuff as I can on vinyl, but it is an absolute bitch to find in some cases, along with issues related to storage, care, and transferring the music to my MP3 Player so I can listen to it in the car.

I like the big cover art on vinyl (especially as power/traditional fan, they always have kick ass covers). Its also kick ass to have colored vinyl or picture discs, because it makes you feel like a badass.

I guess I could get stuff on Vinyl still, and download the music through questionable means for my MP3, but that again might be problematic for more obscure stuff.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:11 am 

Oh yeah, I sorta know one of those prejudice =/= racism types, a polisci student from Seattle lol. Apparently because whitey runs the power structure they're the only ones capable of racial oppression in any meaningful sense. If a black guy kills a white guy for being white, that's not racist, it's just prejudiced.

I just think of it as semantics mostly.

last.fm

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:18 am 

There's a thread for this now. Keep it there, folks.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192 ... 518  Next