Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:33 pm 

I've had my iPod classic 160 gb for three and a half years now and it's still going strong. Haven't even had to replace the battery yet. And I definitely agree with Ilwhyan, iTunes becomes more and more shit with every version (like youtube). Right now though I've got an old version of iTunes on my brothers laptop, works perfectly. I like having my playlists and devices in the left column and the list of songs on the right, stupid with the new version how they changed everything around.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:45 pm 

TheRealThing wrote:
I saw Swans with Low last night in Detroit. That was one hell of an experience. I can't really make a sentence that adequately describes the brevity of Swans' insanity. The best term I can think of is "aural hatefuck," to quote a YouTube user. Low was absolutely serene though. I hadn't listened to them much prior to seeing them, but now I will certainly be picking some of their albums up. I got a few neat action shots of Swans:

Spoiler: show

Low are really fantastic. I would probably recommend starting with Things We Lost In The Fire; that's the record that really did it for me.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:57 pm 

Thanks man! I wasn't really sure where to start. I'm heading to a record store today, so I'll try to find it. I also wanna get the new Locrian on vinyl...

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:17 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
AcidWorm wrote:
Welcome to Oregon where you can't drink until you are 21 but at the age of 18 you can walk around with an ar15 assault rifle out in the open and if you get questioned by a police officer you don't need to give any form of identification. I hate all these republican assholes crying about how they need their second amendment, when we have the highest gun violence rate out of all developed nations and the most relaxed gun control laws. Only a moron would not see the link here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N30TagPCNE4

I like how at the end of the video the cop is like how long are you going to be walking around with this gun for so we know how long to expect loads of phone calls from concerned citizens? It's hard to imagine this country can be this retarded in this day and age.

Being retarded is one of your constitutional rights mate. The crazy part is that your rights are limited to keep from infringing on others rights except for the second amendment. It's as if the laws only work one way when it comes to guns and gun control but a lot of that comes from irrational fear of the government. Unfortunately for us (as a country) nothing will be done until someone "important" becomes the victim of gun violence. Never mind people die every day in cities all around the US and there are massive school shooting on an all to frequent basis. Politics doesn't care until it effects one of its own.

People tend to be very resistant to change. Look at how long it took for blacks to gain equal rights and now currently with the issue of gay marriage. People don't like to give up any rights even if it seems logical to do so. Republicans constantly defend citing the second amendment which was written over 200 years ago before the idea of automatic rifles was even conceived, and have this crazy paranoia that they need them to defend themselves against the government. There are so many checks and balances set into place that this will never happen, at least not for a very, very long time. More recently, I believe in the 60s or 70s the supreme court made a ruling on weapons of mass destruction which outlawed explosives, tanks, and other weapons. These are still arms which fall into the second amendment. People accept that with little issue. This serves to demonstrate that the constitution can be interpreted and refined and more can be done with the issue of including all firearms.

The argument of needing guns for self-defense is not a strong one since the proportion of gun violence from self defense is so incredibly low, and this is even taking the factor of deterrence of having one into account. Guns serve no practical purpose except for fun and for hunting. Hunting rifles can be used for hunting and find something else to do for sport, or go to a gun range.

Look at all the compromises set into place. For example freedom of speech has been infringed. You can get arrested for terroristic threats. There was a kid a few months ago arrested for making a joke on a facebook page about shooting up a school and was held on $500,000 bail for it. I'm not sure of the latest on that story as I haven't heard anything in a while but he was merely demonstrating his freedom of speech. Look at Edward Snowden, he was merely demonstrating freedom of speech. Yes, it was potentially damaging to the government with their reputation with foreign nations, potentially inhibiting the government's ability to prevent terrorist plots, and damaging the trust of the public, but this was still demonstrating freedom of speech., a constitutional right. Look at the right to privacy. The TSA with all their searches including bodyscans is an infringement of that right, government surveillance etc. My point is that the constitution is merely a guideline but further refining is necessary as new issues arise. In the early 70s airport security began to really emerge as a result of all the hijackings and crime that began to take place (thinking of Cooper who gave a stewardness a note to hand over $200,000 or he would blow up the plane and then never was captured after parachuting out of the plane with the money.) After numerous shooting sprees and other gun violence in recent years the republican party and the NRA refused to let a bill pass that merely expanded background checks and banned the sale and possession of high capacity magazines. This was a small compromise in my view for them and they still wouldn't let it pass.

The argument that guns don't kill people, people kill people and people will find other means to kill is another terrible argument in my eyes. By that reasoning we may as well allow bombs and other explosives since they would just find another means to kill people anyway. Sure some people will find other means to kill but very few would be as effective as killing with a gun, particularly multiple targets. Not all gun violence is premeditated anyway, and if someone didn't have a gun on them maybe they would beat someone up but not shoot them which has a lot less potential to be so damaging. A knife also is less likely to be as harmful as a bullet and is easier to defend against. With a loaded gun you just point and shoot, and can hit targets at more than just close range, and it is much more difficult to escape than say a knife, sword, bat, bow and arrow etc. Sure you can run people over with a car which is a common defense but people have a chance to jump out of the way, and many crowded areas are not accessible to a car like they are with a gun (Colorado movie theater shooting for example). Automobiles also have a much higher regulation than guns. You need to pass a driving test to operate one, have insurance etc. And the rules of the road are enforced by police. In some states as I showed in that video you don't even need to give a name or identification to walk down the street with an assault rifle. This is outrageous.

A lot of Americans ignore the statistics when provided with them about other developed nations or twist them to suit their own argument. They claim that America is different and enforcing gun control will not lower the violence rate even though it has worked with many other nations. I hate this attitude where America tries to force themselves on other nations but refuses to learn from other nations. Many people say that lets just arm more people so that we have less gun violence so everyone can protect themselves. Yeah cause more guns out there will solve the problem. 0_o.

Criminals will get guns anyway even if we increase gun control is another dumb argument in my eyes. Look at other nations and see what worked with them and take ideas from that. Statistics show that most guns from known criminals are purchased through private sellers and legally. Enforce gun trafficking along with heavier gun control and the problem will be controlled much better. We already have the ATF, give them more funding.

People need to think about the big picture and many of them are just making excuses with weak arguments to justify themselves as they like their guns and don't want this taken away.

Look up David Hemenway, a Harvard professor who has done a lot of research on gun control.
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/featur ... -hemenway/

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:11 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Welcome to Oregon where you can't drink until you are 21 but at the age of 18 you can walk around with an ar15 assault rifle out in the open and if you get questioned by a police officer you don't need to give any form of identification.

Well, to be fair, imagine those 18 year-olds running around with their guns, only drunk...
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:35 pm 

Knowing Oregon, at least half of them are. Another 25% has a cocaine problem.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:26 pm 

Man so I went to the movies today and they actually accidentally played 2 of the trailers in the wrong language.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:52 pm 

One of my cats had her children today. The 5 kittens were born dead. Apparently, the birth was premature, since they looked a bit 'underdeveloped'. Now she's hidden under the bed sheets.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:55 pm 

That's so sad! :( Man that sucks. Having been present at a cat birth in the past, I can relate with how much it would suck for it to turn out that way. Ugh. Sorry to hear that.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:49 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Republicans constantly defend citing the second amendment which was written over 200 years ago before the idea of automatic rifles was even conceived, and have this crazy paranoia that they need them to defend themselves against the government.

I've heard many argue that the Second Amendment was originally created to allow the populace to overthrow their government if it rises to the point tyranny. Which then goes, if the government has assault weapons the people should have assault weapons, etc. Being that Central PA is a haven for right wing gun nuts, I've dealt with a ton of them and heard tons and tons of debate on both sides of the fence.

Here's my issue, especially concerning the government stiffening gun laws: what happens when the government finally says, "Give us your guns."? I can guarantee that there will be people who will barricade themselves into their houses when the government comes to take their weapons. It's probably the same in any area that has a large populace of hunters and sportsmen as well as straight up "Deliverance" types. I know people that have tens to hundreds of different guns, including handguns, rifles, shotguns and assault weapons, and a lot of them will not willingly give up their weapons.

It would put me in a difficult spot, as, technically, an agent of the government (although I'm municipal and not federal). Unfortunately if it happens, I highly doubt the FBI and ATF will be going door to door to collect guns... I will be.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:40 pm 

I'm not saying the government should go taking people's guns by force. Just make it harder for criminals to get them and maybe put in some more regulations. I mean who the fuck really needs a gun that can shoot 60 rounds a minute?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:45 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
I've heard many argue that the Second Amendment was originally created to allow the populace to overthrow their government if it rises to the point tyranny. Which then goes, if the government has assault weapons the people should have assault weapons, etc.

I don't scare easily, but the idea that people think this really sends a chill down my spine.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:00 pm 

One day I was working out in my section 8 apartment with Push It To The Limit blasting on a dozen six foot speakers when all of a sudden the building super told me to turn it down a tiny bit! I stood up and my commanding 18 foot tall visage suddenly made him very uncomfortable giving me orders. "I mean, if you want to that is, if you're done working out, but don't hurry on my account, do you want some protein powder?" He rambled while my infinitely powerful mind slowly cranked through the possibilities concerning how he could have ever believed he wasn't dead the moment he spoke to me. My eyes slowly turned down towards him and my hard stare struck him with such force that the individual molecules in his body all shook with fear! "Fuck you say?" I said and the blood drained from his face, his skin went white and his bouncy hair went limp and the light passed from his eyes as he saw his end coming! I threw my fist forward with the force of a thousand power packed punches and suddenly pointed to the door. "Best you go back the way you came son." I said and he looked up with me with awe and terror as he realized that I, like Jesus, had given him a second life!

This story is dedicated to caspian, MA's greatest troll.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:08 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
I've heard many argue that the Second Amendment was originally created to allow the populace to overthrow their government if it rises to the point tyranny. Which then goes, if the government has assault weapons the people should have assault weapons, etc.

Bill Maher once said something along the lines of "people can't prevent the govenrment from becoming a tyranny. You have automatic weapons, they have nuclear weapons". I agree, I mean, whatever is out for legal, public purchase is (as far as I know, I'm not a gun nut) essentially useless for the military forces. So that can't be the purpose of the 2nd Amendment today, because a native group, (no matter how large) cannot realistically overthrow the US government. War and revolution have changed far too much, it's not about how much firepower each soldier can carry.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:16 pm 

The purpose of the 2nd Amendment back when the bill of rights was written was to ensure that militias were well armed in case of war or an invasion by a foreign power since the United States didn't really have a military back then. Plus don't forget that in the 1780s the most powerful firearm was a musket, which had horrible accuracy and took a long time to reload. If the 2nd Amendment were about arming the citizenry outside the context of a militia, it would have explicitly said so in the amendment.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:26 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
One of my cats had her children today. The 5 kittens were born dead. Apparently, the birth was premature, since they looked a bit 'underdeveloped'. Now she's hidden under the bed sheets.

This sucks badly. When one my cats had children only 2 out of 7 were stillborn, stil, always something sad. R.I.P. for them, at least the mother will get over it.
Empyreal wrote:
TheStormIRide wrote:

I don't scare easily, but the idea that people think this really sends a chill down my spine.

What scares me is the illusion that even with guns people think they will be able to fight government tiranny. They won't.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:01 am 

One day someone will perhaps reply to Cagalar in the Weekly Metal Analysis thread.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:19 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:
what happens when the government finally says, "Give us your guns."?

This is extremely unlikely to ever happen. Your fears of being forced to quell local gun nut riots in the coming years, though, as the divide between a progressive nation and a libertarian/conservative one is further widened are far from unfounded, I'm afraid.

I just realized there's no Veracs here to link us to peer-reviewed studies on TheBlaze and Breitbart that show that guns conclusively cure brain cancer and police officers subsist exclusively on a diet of McBabies and Freedom Fries. I almost miss him. The word 'almost' being more operative than 007.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:36 am 

Yeah, why bother going to get peoples' guns when you can just blow them up with a drone if they get uppity? It's not as if the population is allowed to have landmines and stingers. Going to take down tanks and drones with a handgun, waiting period or not?

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:39 am 

darkeningday wrote:
I just realized there's no Veracs here to link us to peer-reviewed studies on TheBlaze and Breitbart that show that guns conclusively cure brain cancer and police officers subsist exclusively on a diet of McBabies and Freedom Fries. I almost miss him. The word 'almost' being more operative than 007.

:ah-ha: May Veracs be cursed to listen to Manowar for the rest of eternity.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:07 am 

Metantoine wrote:
One day someone will perhaps reply to Cagalar in the Weekly Metal Analysis thread.

Haha well I did talk to him in that thread, but only to tell him to give it a rest with his ridiculous post formatting (which he thankfully did). Even besides that, dude is totally destroying the thread.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:50 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
a story dedicated to me.

:scratch: I have no idea if I'm meant to be insulted, chuffed, or feel anything really. I'd at least like one of the better J_S stories dedicated to me. But then again maybe I'm the first one to have a story dedicated to me, in which case I'll go with chuffed. Thus concludes my awesome post.

Incidentally, maybe about 10kg of salami w/my father in law and it's finally ready, starting to eat it today, it's delicious though I don't think it's going to come out easily. Making your own meat based products is awesome and I recommend it to everyone.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:17 am 

caspian wrote:
Making your own meat based products is awesome and I recommend it to everyone.

Isn't it a little soon after marriage to be having children?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:52 am 

failsafeman wrote:
caspian wrote:

caspian wrote:
Incidentally, maybe about 10kg of salami w/my father in law and it's finally ready, starting to eat it today, it's delicious though I don't think it's going to come out easily.

:| This turned out to be creepier than what you originally implied, FSM.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:02 am 

Someone recommend me a Tangerien Dream album. I only know Rubycon and Tangram so far.
And while you're at it, I also need a Klaus Schulze rec that isn't Dune or Timewind.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:05 am 

Klaus: Mirage

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:19 am 

Irrlicht or Cyborg, as well. Also virtually any of his live recordings from the '70s. The second disc of X is also pretty rad.

For Tangerine Dream: Phaedra & Zeit.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:39 am 

Thanks! Downloading Mirage, Irrlicht and Zeit right now. That should do for a while.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:20 am 

Picture Music from Herr Schulze is also fantastic. I think Cyborg is a bit too minimal for me most of the time but on the other hand it was a very odd experience listening to that thing on mushrooms. :D

I still need the X album. Expecting great things...

As for Tangerine Dream, you really can't go wrong with anything up through the late 70s. I even like Cyclone, the album they did with a vocalist and a drummer (!)!

Y'all should listen to Ash Ra Tempel, too!

So last night was a killer doom/psychedelic rock show here with Blizaro and local instrumental jammers Galaxies in the River. Both bands were magnificent, and GITR did a phenomenal cover of Grand Funk's "Into the Sun" with a guest singer. It was at one of the oldest bars in the city, and my uncle happens to own it. I think he was a little displeased with the volume (the bartender was kind of overwhelmed , too) as they're used to having acoustic stuff, a little jazz and the odd choir perform there. The turnout was also not too great...hopefully they'll still be open to doing more rock/metal shows in the future, as it's a comfortable place and one of the few venues for bands that actually sells decent beers. Finest bourbon collection in the city, too.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:55 am 

I love Blizaro! So jealous. On another note, I'm working my way through Dead Can Dance's discography. So far the debut hasn't really clicked with me, but perhaps subsequent listens will yield better results.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:17 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
I love Blizaro! So jealous.

Are you in or near Rochester? Yeah, they always put on a great show, and John likes to do unexpected things like impromptu synth jams and mammoth Paul Chain covers.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:29 pm 

@Abom: X isn't as good as I hoped it'd be. The classical elements - what there are of them - aren't very present at all on the first disc, which kinda sucks, and that disc is also marred with too much in the way of drums. Fucking useless drums... the downfall of many a Schulze piece, no doubt. But the second disc makes up for it somewhat, as it's got more of a classical-influenced atmosphere and isn't as percussion-heavy. Recently I've been going through all of his '70s material in the ULTIMATE COLLECTION, and there's tons of great work to be found there.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:23 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Trashy_Rambo wrote:
I love Blizaro! So jealous.

Are you in or near Rochester? Yeah, they always put on a great show, and John likes to do unexpected things like impromptu synth jams and mammoth Paul Chain covers.

Just a couple hours from Rochester. How do you find their tour dates? I checked their facebook and whatnot and got nothing.
Edit: Didn't realize you meant Rochester New York. My mistake.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:58 pm 

God Dethroned's last two albums are riff monsters. Riffs up the ass.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:00 pm 

All of God Dethroned's albums are awesome. Bloody Blasphemy was my shit back in the day, perhaps I should exhume it for nostalgia and utter destruction.

"But they do no harm, for Satan's wings protect." :bow:

Obligatory Last FM Link

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:02 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
God Dethroned's last two albums are riff monsters. Riffs up the ass.

Absolutely. Under the Sign of the Iron Cross' titletrack must also be one of my all time favourite extreme metal songs.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:15 pm 

I've been getting really into them and Necrophobic this past week. My neck is sore from all the headbanging.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:33 pm 

I used to be really into God Dethroned, listened to Passiodale for months non-stop when it came out, but nowadays I don't really care much about them

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:09 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
caspian wrote:

:lol: Thanks for the new sig!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:26 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Yeah, why bother going to get peoples' guns when you can just blow them up with a drone if they get uppity? It's not as if the population is allowed to have landmines and stingers. Going to take down tanks and drones with a handgun, waiting period or not?

You'll need an optional attachment for that.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201 ... 518  Next