Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:00 am 

I am completely surprised and baffled by this ongoing problem that I face. My travels bring me past KFC once or twice per month, so I stop there for food.

I order a three piece chicken strips meal with potato wedges as the side, with cheese and gravy on top. The first time I ordered it, they put the chicken and wedges on a plate, put cheese on top, poured gravy over it, and it was great. The problem I face is that, since then, something has gone horribly wrong and I can't just order food they have and get it on a plate. I don't know why, but every time I go there, in a unique way, they don't just give me the food I order on a plate or in any other container. Sometimes the chicken and wedges come in a box with a little tub of gravy and a cup of shredded cheese. Today the wedges came in two little paper cups wrapped in waxed paper, the chicken in a large box, and the gravy in cheese each in separate cups, and the biscuit that came with the meal on a piece of waxes paper. One time the cashier even refused to give me cheese, she said she couldn't put cheese on it nor serve it as a side - I know sometimes cash registers don't have a button for that, but for sucks sake, is it that hard, when politely asked, to just put some cheese on something? Why is this unnecessarily overpackaged and separated every time I order it? It seems like such an odd situation because they have plates, I order a regular meal on the menu and ask for cheese on top. The first time I ordered it, everything came together perfectly and it was really good. Since then I have gotten between three and six different containers every time I ordered it.

I ordered the same thing down in Maryland when we went to MDF, and it took them so long to figure out how to charge me for cheese that the friend who ordered before me had already gotten his food and eaten half of it by the time their manager decided to charge me for a cookie to put cheese in a cup, rather than putting it on top of my food. I get different types of cheeses too - the KFC/Taco Bell sometimes gives me thicker shredded cheddar, while they sometimes give me the thin Mexican blend. Both are good, though the thin shred melts more easily when gravy is poured on top. Apparently they keep cups of gravy in a steam tray rather than having a large vessel of it available.

Every time I order this, the cashiers always seem so perplexed. I don't know why - they'll take the same chicken strips and put them on bread with the same cheese and advertise that sandwich, they advertise smaller pieces of the same chicken ("bites") with wedges with gravy on the side, and that would be really good with cheese on it too. They have the stuff, why not put it together? It seems I always get a series of perplexed questions - you want cheese? cheese? on top? can I give it to you on the side? and gravy? and you wanted this with the meal?

It was perfect the first time I asked for it, it's a clear request, but it seems more and more difficult every time I order it. It's really good though!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:07 am 

I think I have the solution to your problem. Doesn't KFC offer a dish that's exactly what you described except with mashed potatoes instead of potato wedges? Just order that, but substitute wedges for the mashed potatoes. They're both a side item so that should be easier to sub out than figuring out how to charge you extra for cheese.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:14 am 

Do they? I don't think the bowls come with chicken strips, they have popcorn chicken as well as corn. I don't think substituting wedges for mashed potatoes would be any less confusing though... Now that you mention it, I bet mashed potatoes with gravy would be great for dipping wedges.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:00 am 

Mashed potato for dipping any KFC fried potato side is awesome. Double potato hit!

My collection

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:10 am 

Mashed potato for dipping ANYTHING FROM KFC AT ALL is awesome.

Who needs chicken when you can have chicken drowned in potato and gravy? <3

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:52 am 

KFC's fries are better than any others, I reckon.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:03 am 

Clearly you have not had the pleasure of enjoying Red Rooster's chips. Those things are over-salted joy in a box.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:11 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Clearly you have not had the pleasure of enjoying Red Rooster's chips. Those things are over-salted joy in a box.

I admit the two are very similar, but KFC's wins by a herb's length. ;)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:28 am 

Yo be crazy Mikey.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:15 am 

KFC: It will murder you in your sleep, but it's so delicious~

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:11 am 

I never ate at KFC, there aren't any here, but just looking at that stuff makes me feel my arteries clogging.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:25 am 

I try not to eat at any fast food chain. All things considered it is not worth my money.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:29 am 

Marag wrote:
I never ate at KFC, there aren't any here, but just looking at that stuff makes me feel my arteries clogging.

I'm not sure if they still have it, but they had something called the double down.

Wikipedia wrote:
"The Double Down contains "bacon, two different kinds of melted cheese, the Colonel’s secret sauce... pinched in between two pieces of Original Recipe chicken fillets

Yes, meat sandwiched between two pieces of meat. No bun in sight.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:51 am 

I have always wanted to try the double down, but they don't sell them in the netherlands. :/

Also, did anyone hear the rumours of an american invasion of egypt? :lol:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:57 am 

I've had that before. It tastes great, but it's so unhealthy that it's pretty much not worth it.

Although that absolutely pales in comparison to the Grilled Cheese Burgermelt at Friendly's, which is a hamburger (with lettuce and tomato, presumably to make naive people think it's healthier) slathered in mayonnaise and stuck between two grilled cheese sandwiches.

The touched up Friendly's website version:
Spoiler: show

What it actually looks like:

The nutrition (which is such an ass backwards word to say when talking about this behemoth) information is as follows from Examiner.com.

Quote:
The total calorie count of the BurgerMelt is 1,500 calories, with 97 grams of fat, including 38 grams of saturated fat (870 calories from fat alone). The most health-threatening number, though, is the sodium count. Just one Friendly's Cheese BurgerMelt has 2,090 milligrams of sodium.

So...yeah.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:01 am 

KFC is linked to Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell too, right?

I've always wondered about KFC, during apartheid there were no American fast food joints like McDonald's, Subway etc in South Africa, except for KFC. Also, in Vietnam, the Vietnamese government would not allow American companies like Maccies, Burger King etc to start businesses there (in 2004 at least), except for, yep - KFC. Guess the Colonel has friends in high places or something, only possible explanation.

Another thing I've noticed about KFC is that it's the one chain that tastes different in different countries, so I suspect that each country has their own secret recipe.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:35 am 

Ultimate Bloody Mary: Now you can pig out in style.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:41 am 

Define "style"...
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:44 am 

That's the food and drink equivalent of Rings of Saturn: a jumbled mess of nonsense that cannot possibly be good for your health.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:53 am 

Subrick wrote:
That's the food and drink equivalent of Rings of Saturn: a jumbled mess of nonsense that cannot possibly be good for your health.

And you have to try both atleast once too be sure you're not missing out on one of the greatest thing on earth.... after both will give you the symptoms of acoustic shock.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:57 am 

I ate the double down when it came out. I waited until I got home to eat it. The mother fucker put me to sleep!

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:34 pm 

TheRealThing wrote:
I ate the double down when it came out. I waited until I got home to eat it. The mother fucker put me to sleep!

My wife and I joke around about having a food coma after eating a big meal. You're lucky to come out of that one alive. I love food that is bad for me, but I've yet to attempt that beast.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:36 pm 

Subrick wrote:

:lol: What a perfect comparison!

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:47 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
TheRealThing wrote:

My wife and I joke around about having a food coma after eating a big meal. You're lucky to come out of that one alive. I love food that is bad for me, but I've yet to attempt that beast.

Actually, around the time of the double down, KFC started a rumor of a sandwich called the Skinwich. It was supposedly a sandwich comprised of fried chicken skins and gravy. Imagine consuming a beast like that!

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:10 pm 

Subrick wrote:

That sandwich (or whatever the hell you want to call that) looks ill. As in, it looks like it's about to puke.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:54 pm 

I've always found KFC chicken way too greasy, but their biscuits are the best of any restaurant, period.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:17 pm 

My brother and I both got bad food poisoning from KFC once. I've never been back there since. Sadly, one bad experience at a restaurant chain will ruin it.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:28 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
KFC is linked to Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell too, right?

I've always wondered about KFC, during apartheid there were no American fast food joints like McDonald's, Subway etc in South Africa, except for KFC. Also, in Vietnam, the Vietnamese government would not allow American companies like Maccies, Burger King etc to start businesses there (in 2004 at least), except for, yep - KFC. Guess the Colonel has friends in high places or something, only possible explanation.

Another thing I've noticed about KFC is that it's the one chain that tastes different in different countries, so I suspect that each country has their own secret recipe.

KFC is owned by Yum! Brands. They won Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut, A&W and Long John Silvers. That is strange if those cases are true. I don't see why they would.

As far as the recipes being different, I can't say the recipe would be different but that would be interesting if that was the case. I know fast food places change their recipes and add certain things based on locations. I really like KFC but I really try not to eat any fast food more then 2-3 times a week. Cheap is good, but there are some things you just cannot duplicate unless done at home.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:52 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I've always found KFC chicken way too greasy, but their biscuits are the best of any restaurant, period.

Pillsbury pre-baked frozen buttermilk biscuits. It's basically the same thing, except you don't have to go to KFC.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:53 pm 

Plus it's probably cheaper too.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:53 pm 

So I'll throw this out there for any interested parties. I was they new Half Priced Books in the Algonquin commons today and they had at Iron Maiden Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter .45 (45"? not really sure how that's supposed to look as I don't know anything about vinyl) picture vinyl for sale. It was pretty bad ass actually.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:54 pm 

How much was it? The Killers picture disc I bought at Mystic was $34.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:56 pm 

It was $50. I have no idea if that is reasonable or not but I thought it was pretty freaking cool.

Azmodes wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:58 pm 

If it's in the wrapping with no damage that's actually a little more than I'd pay. Most mint vinyls I've seen have been in the $40 or so range. My Killers disc was double wrapped, once in a slip for the actual disc and another plastic sort of case around that.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:09 pm 

It had a plastic slip for the whole thing and a paper cover for the actual .45. I think that if I actually collected vinyl I would've bought it but since I don't I just looked at it and put it back. Yeah $50 is kinda pricey but if you can't find it anywhere else then I guess it's worth it.

Azmodes wrote:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:10 pm 

The cheapest vinyl I got was my copy of Darkness Descends. It was used and in a Strawberry's plastic wrapper (remember that place?), but it was still in pretty great condition and it was only $5.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:41 pm 

I ate a double down once and basically what I took away from it is that it's really stupid. The thing was obviously super greasy, which made it really difficult to eat without making a giant mess. If they put the whole thing on a bun it would've been fine.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:42 pm 

The one I got wasn't dripping grease or anything. I was able to eat it fine without there being any runoff.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:38 pm 

Man, djent sucks so fucking hard musically.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:39 pm 

Old news, dude. Old news.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193 ... 518  Next