Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:40 pm 

I've been getting into metalcore / progressive / hardcore bands that take djent influences, but man do I prefer real riffs to the chugganometry.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:42 pm 

Really the only band of that sort I can stand is Meshuggah. I tried Periphery before, but it's just not good. The drumming in particular is absolutely infuriating.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:01 pm 

I really don't know that much of the djent genre as a whole, but personally I absolutely love Periphery. Their sound is intense as fuck, they manage to be melodic and catchy while sounding pretty damn heavy (and I'd say they use chugging in perfect moderation). I had some trouble with the vocals at first but now I love them, Spencer just sounds powerful, and his range is pretty ridiculous.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:11 pm 

Periphery's vocalist's harsh vocals always rubbed me the wrong way... they don't sound bad, just weird. I'm still waiting for the melodic and harmonic structures to be just as mechanical as rhythmic in that kind of music. Whole tone scales, anyone?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:13 pm 

This song is pretty much entirely chugging, just with a melodic lead on top of it. The clean vocals are pretty soaring, but that's pretty much the only thing this song has going for it.

Last edited by Subrick on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:15 pm 

Sounds like a really bad knock-off of Betraying the Martyrs had a lovechild with an even worse knock-off of Meshuggah.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:16 pm 

Well there is a reason I call them "Emoshuggah" after all.

I will say one positive thing about the band though; they're a hell of a lot better than a lot of the rest of the bands on Sumerian Records. I'd listen to Periphery any time of the day over...well, this:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:22 pm 

I never heard djent before and never want to again. For it being utter shit you guys sure do talk a lot about it.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:25 pm 

It's all good, when you've heard one band you've heard them all. Literally the ONLY thing that varies is the vocals. And even then, not that much.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:26 pm 

@Sumerian video, What the actual fuck?

Time to listen to Atheist to purge that nonsense from my memory.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:33 pm 

Subrick wrote:
This song is pretty much entirely chugging, just with a melodic lead on top of it. The clean vocals are pretty soaring, but that's pretty much the only thing this song has going for it.

That doesn't sound like chugging to me, just low tuning. They do use chugs, e.g. in Letter Experiment, but this song just has down-tuned riffing for the most part.

Also, I don't know how does it work that whenever Periphery pops up on this forum, people always seem to post links to songs that don't even reflect what they normally sound like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spCmStMOiHE

Say what you like, but for me this song is a fucking riff-monster and the choruses melt my brain.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:36 pm 

lol, what do you mean when you say ''riffs'' exactly?

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:37 pm 

:roll: Here we go again with the traditional "if I don't like it, it has no riffs".

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:40 pm 

The whole thing is straight up just a clusterfuck of chugging and djentdjentdjentdjent. I find that poppy chorus as catchy as the next closet Evanescence fan, but come on dude.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:43 pm 

I'm ok with people disliking them, but saying all their riffing is chugging (there definitely is more than in an average metal band, but you need to be fully deaf to say that with a serious face) and that they have no riffs is annoying as fuck and just ignorant, sorry. I don't expect everyone to like them, but they're bringing something new to the table and have a pretty recognisable style. (It's also hardly their fault a lot of bands sounding similar popped up afterwards.)

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:47 pm 

As said, pretty much the only thing the band has going for it are the clean vocals, which can admittedly be quite great at times. Everything else though is just a straight line of suck. The guitars are doing almost nothing but chuggachuggachugga nonsense in incomprehensible patterns, the drumming is just a bunch of items being hit with no real set pattern outside of mimicking what the guitars are doing on the bass drums, and the harsh vocals are so weak that it's laughable.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:51 pm 

Well... To each their own I guess, although I'd still say there's far more to their music than what you're saying.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:53 pm 

Let's talk about Applebee's for a second. Has anyone eaten at one? Food any good? I'm thinking of dropping by one tomorrow evening because one of my local gaming stores is doing a gaming thing there from 9pm to midnight and the Appetizers are half off.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:56 pm 

I love Applebees. Their steak and burgers are pretty damn good. The salads are not that great though.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:09 pm 

Applebees has good food and reasonably priced beer. Can't say their selection is that great, but they do at least carry Blue Moon here in Michigan. Their mozzarella sticks rule though, and they have good chicken tenders.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:21 pm 

The main problem with Applebee's is that it has such culinary ADD. Their menu has at least one food item from every single national/regional cuisine you can imagine, and many items are really awkward fusion dishes that just don't really work at all. Some of their stuff is pretty decent though, and I definitely did do half priced appetizers as a cheap date night thing pretty often a few years ago. Unfortunately, the one closest to me has this permanent "vomit + industrial carpet cleaner" reek that makes it not so great to eat there, even if there's nothing really wrong with the rest of the experience.

Holy shit, Periphery are fucking terrible. I'd listened to some djent back when the genre was newer (probably Periphery themselves, and Cloudkicker I think?) and it was stupid, yeah, but nowhere near that bad.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:33 pm 

TheLiberation wrote:
don't expect everyone to like them, but they're bringing something new to the table and have a pretty recognisable style.

I don't expect everyone to like Limp Bizkit, but they're bringing something new to the table and have a pretty recognisable style. That was awful, and this is coming from a Meshuggah fan.

Quote:
Welcome to the truth; a life that's not your own.
Controlled by labor, printed paper and the corruptors of the world.
Synthetic lies collect our minds to the beast.
We've had the rug pulled from under our feet.
Media terrorists thrive on deceit,
spoonfeeding bullshit served by elite societies harnessing fear as a weapon.

so deep!!! haha

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:36 pm 

Wow, those are some Mustaine-level lyrics.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:51 pm 

Subrick wrote:
periphery song

Holy fuck that was bad. It's liked they glued a Meshuggah song to a generic metalcore song.

Subrick wrote:
I will say one positive thing about the band though; they're a hell of a lot better than a lot of the rest of the bands on Sumerian Records. I'd listen to Periphery any time of the day over...well, this:

HOLY FUCK that was terrible. Is Brokencyde with guitars becoming a thing nowadays?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:06 pm 

It's been a thing for a few years. A few miserable, painful, crappy years.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:17 pm 

Why do you make yourself aware of it?

it's not difficult to never see anything like this shit.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:21 pm 

Yeah I don't see how it's "miserable and crappy" when you could easily avoid and just not pay attention to it - same thing with movies like Grown Ups 2 for example.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:25 pm 

Yeah, with stuff like Periphery and Make Me Famous it's easy enough to have a laugh about how bad it is and then move on with your life. Shit may be awful but it's not like you hear it on the radio y'know? It's easily avoidable.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:31 pm 

How the fuck is this Attack Attack! clone even comparable on any level to Periphery o_O

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:50 pm 

Emoshuggah sounds correct. Djent is fucking abysmal as a whole.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:54 pm 

The only djent band I really enjoy are Uneven Structure, but that's partially because their sound is based more on ambient waves of beautiful melodies than actual djenting. They're definitely a lot more interesting than Periphery and other bands of that ilk.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:56 pm 

How about Animals As Leaders? I know a lot of deep seeded extreme metal fans that absolutely love that band. Personally, I don't see the appeal all that much. They're another djent band for the most part, just with a few more straight prog elements at times.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:57 pm 

Only here to add that I still don't fully understand what djent is, and that I'm perfectly fine with that.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:59 pm 

Think of djent as dumbed down Meshuggah with more modern metalcore influences.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:00 pm 

Subrick wrote:
How about Animals As Leaders? I know a lot of deep seeded extreme metal fans that absolutely love that band. Personally, I don't see the appeal all that much. They're another djent band for the most part, just with a few more straight prog elements at times.

Tosin should go all the Cynic way and drop the shitty chugging. There are some decent songs, but stuff like CAFO is horrible. I predict the demise of djent within the next years. It's too shallow to keep going. Only the 'forerunners' will keep some degree of fanbase but the rest that jumped into the bandwagon will be forgotten sooner than later.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:02 pm 

Marag wrote:
Subrick wrote:

HOLY FUCK that was terrible. Is Brokencyde with guitars becoming a thing nowadays?

Part of the lyrics:

"I'm the master
I'm the master
I'm the master
I'm the master
I'm the master
I'm the master

Bitch suck dick!"

I ain't shitting anyone.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:03 pm 

Subrick wrote:

You mean even more dumbed down than the already insipid crap that is modern Meshuggah? Damn.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:07 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:

Tosin should go all the Cynic way and drop the shitty chugging. There are some decent songs, but stuff like CAFO is horrible. I predict the demise of djent within the next years. It's too shallow to keep going. Only the 'forerunners' will keep some degree of fanbase but the rest that jumped into the bandwagon will be forgotten sooner than later.

Well metalcore in its most known form (Killswitch Engage worship) has lasted so far for a little over a decade now, and I'm sure that when that first popped up its demise was predicted to be in a short amount of time too.

Wilytank wrote:

Part of the lyrics:

"I'm the master
I'm the master
I'm the master
I'm the master
I'm the master
I'm the master

Bitch suck dick!"

I ain't shitting anyone.

That's just about on the same rung of the "neanderthal dipshit" ladder as "Break Shit" by Attila.

Quote:
Break shit
Fuck the law
Fuck this shit
Punch that bitch
Break shit
Fuck the law
Fuck it

The word "fuck" and its variants are said TWENTY SIX TIMES throughout the song's 3:08 runtime. There are only two verses where the word doesn't appear.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:08 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Subrick wrote:

You mean even more dumbed down than the already insipid crap that is modern Meshuggah? Damn.

Maaaaan, are you, like, calling Meshuggah dumbed-down? God, didn't you know they used, like, a 43¾/32 time signature once? Can you play in 43¾/32? JESUS FUCK no one understands progressive metal anymore.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:11 pm 

Meshuggah makes use of really interesting polyrhythms between not just the drummer's limbs, but between the different members of the band as well. Plus their stuff, while still being pretty friggin complex from a time signature standpoint, is really catchy too.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194 ... 518  Next