Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:43 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
last time I had a bloody scalp it'd turned out I'd had a nasty head lice infestation and I was scratching myself raw.

Protip if you have headlice: Rubbing Alcohol is an insanely effective way of treating it. Takes out the eggs too. Just soak your head in it for a bit and you're gravy. I did it over a bathtub, and when I dunked my head into the water to rinse and pulled it out it was just a flood of dead lice bodies.

:puke:

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:52 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
That sounds nasty, Deucalion. Haven't you been able to alleviate your condition at least partially?

It comes and goes. The worst part is the mental part where you worry if it's something that will kill you. I've started eating foods that are supposedly "anti-cancer" just in case it's something serious. Obviously, if it's a cancer, it's probably not going to be sent into remission or "cured" or whatever just by eating, but still. It probably doesn't hurt to keep a closer eye on what I eat (last night I screwed up and ended up drinking a herbal tea that supposedly has carcinogenic properties...oops. I'll make sure not to drink that again).

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:41 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
:puke:

Part of me has always wanted someone to reply to me with this emote. :lol:

Didn't mean to gross people out too much!

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:58 pm 

Deucalion wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Alright..... My scalp is bleeding. My knowledge of bodily functions is rather modest, but I'm fairly sure that this isn't normal.

I've been having some health concerns, as well. My skin turns red easily, and I tend to have a red burning sensation that comes and goes on different parts of my body. My knee was burning a few nights ago, and when I looked at it, half of it was very red. It's hot to the touch, as well. It sorta reminds me of a "sun hitting you" kinda feeling. I also have a patch that's been on my side for months now. I fear it's some sort of lymphoma or skin cancer (the first doctor thought it was a fungus; the second thought it was eczema...it doesn't itch). I also have at least one sore in my mouth (stopped hurting days ago, but it's still there). This isn't really the place to post such things, but yeah.

does the burning sensation happen in the skin or is it a little deeper? It sounds kinda like inflammation actually, if it's deeper than the skin that is.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:02 pm 

Deucalion, have you switched laundry detergents recently? Sometimes people can have pretty bad allergic reactions to some of the perfumes and other ingredients. I forget which one it was, but some years back I used a totally different brand and it made me itchy as hell with visible redness/rashes in some places. I just use that hypoallergenic kind now (it's the same price and smells nicer, so why not).

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:08 pm 

HellishHound wrote:
does the burning sensation happen in the skin or is it a little deeper? It sounds kinda like inflammation actually, if it's deeper than the skin that is.

I think it might be deeper. Maybe. Unfortunately, I just read about a link between inflammation and cancer. Ugh.

iamntbatman wrote:
Deucalion, have you switched laundry detergents recently? Sometimes people can have pretty bad allergic reactions to some of the perfumes and other ingredients. I forget which one it was, but some years back I used a totally different brand and it made me itchy as hell with visible redness/rashes in some places. I just use that hypoallergenic kind now (it's the same price and smells nicer, so why not).

I don't think we've changed laundry detergents (I live with multiple people, and I'm not the one who does the laundry, so I'm not sure).

Thanks for the replies so far, everyone.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:26 pm 

Just got my copies of Necroticism and Heartwork in the mail - oh yeah. Bit late finally getting into Carcass, but it's been fun so far and now I can really dive in.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:29 pm 

I saw Necroticism on a local shop and thought about buying it, but it was 80 bucks so fuck that.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:00 pm 

Veggies from Fukushima:

http://imgur.com/a/Ne2bP#0

There gotta be a market for that.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:11 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Veggies from Fukushima:

So, the Thing can infect vegetables too?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:13 pm 

Uhm. Radiation damages DNA.

Edit: Sorry, didn't get that reference at first.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:20 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Veggies from Fukushima:

Just wait a few years and see the generation of newborn locals. If they are not stillborn, that is.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:21 pm 

I dunno, the quadruple peaches and double corns seem like more food for humanity, world food shortage solved! Monsanto eat your heart out.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:27 pm 

Yeah, they should just start using uranium enriched fertilizer. Definitely makes agriculture more exciting. Could be ugly when this happens though.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:37 pm 

The reason they couldn't hear anymore is because their ears instantly turned into real, edible cauliflower. Monsanto has a solution for everything.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:09 pm 

On Xlxlx's bleeding scalp, inhumanist wrote:
Did you get your head period?

You can't get head periods before you've actually gotten head.

Hatman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:12 pm 

Any other baseball fans on here going to watch the All Star game tonight? I'm rooting for the National League, as a devoted Mets fan.

MorbidBlood wrote:
It's just too brutal for the normal listeners.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:40 pm 

So I just started playing guitar roughly 2-3 weeks ago. I've always wanted to pick it up, but have been apathetic in the past because I'm the drummer in my band and I've always loved drumming the most. But this time I have a different attitude. Learning another instrument could only be beneficial to my song-writing and help me see things from a different musical perspective!

Anyway, I've started out by learning some Bathory covers and just jamming some original stuff on my own. For all you shredders here, what would be your best advice to approaching the instrument? Should I stick with learning covers for the next few months, learning/perfecting scales, technique, etc? I know that the journey to approaching a musical instrument is completely up to the individual, but I'd just like to hear some friendly advice here if anyone's got it! Cheers! :beer:

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:45 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
the employees literally sit on their ass for 5 out of their 3 hour shift

Need overtime? Defy the laws of spacetime themselves!

wakka wakka, obviously a typo. it was meant to be the other way around.

I scored the two cabs I've been wanting to get for a month. Got everything set up with the business, got everything set up with the shipping company. God I'm ready to drink.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:56 pm 

Maniac Matis wrote:
So I just started playing guitar roughly 2-3 weeks ago. I've always wanted to pick it up, but have been apathetic in the past because I'm the drummer in my band and I've always loved drumming the most. But this time I have a different attitude. Learning another instrument could only be beneficial to my song-writing and help me see things from a different musical perspective!

Anyway, I've started out by learning some Bathory covers and just jamming some original stuff on my own. For all you shredders here, what would be your best advice to approaching the instrument? Should I stick with learning covers for the next few months, learning/perfecting scales, technique, etc? I know that the journey to approaching a musical instrument is completely up to the individual, but I'd just like to hear some friendly advice here if anyone's got it! Cheers! :beer:

Learn the basics of theory: what intervals are, and how they are combined to make scales/modes and chords.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 pm 

Hatman wrote:
Any other baseball fans on here going to watch the All Star game tonight? I'm rooting for the National League, as a devoted Mets fan.

So far, it looks like the Redbirds will be starting The Fall Classic on the road.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:38 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Veggies from Fukushima:

They serve as inspiration for the bosses of every RPG forest area.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:10 am 

BastardHead wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:
[Animals as Leaders] can't write a riff to save their lives.

I'm not a fan of AaL, but this argument drives me up the wall. It's like complaining about there not being enough atmosphere in any given Running Wild song. Who gives a shit? That's not the point of the music. You think they suck at what they do? Absolutely, fair enough. You think they suck at something they're not doing? Well that's a stupid thing to dislike them for.

That's completely unreasonable. You can't criticise Britney Spears for being irritating, lighter-than-air pop nonsense either, then, unless you can plausibly claim that her music fails to achieve what it attempts to.

Edit: Damn late, as always.

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:32 am 

Queensland: 12
New South Wales: 10

At this point I'd normally gloat, but I have to admit we got lucky. Our kicking game was shit, we didn't make the most of our opportunities, we conceded way too many penalties and we were lucky on a couple of occasions.
Well maybe I'll gloat a little bit...
That's eight in a row motherfuckers!!!!!

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:42 am 

Hmm, thought I replied, I guess not.

I quite like AAL, but commenting on their riff writing skills is still a valid enough complaint. It's not like they're an ambient band or anything, they do have a fair few riffs on their albums, so it's worth mentioning well enough. Probably not the FIRST thing I'd recommend picking on them for, since only about 20% of their music is riffs and the rest solos and futuristic sounds/beats, but the riffs are there, and they're in a reasonably divisive style so it's not unreasonable someone would comment on disliking them.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:11 am 

Criticizing Britney Spears in 2013? Want to get in a shot at the Spice Girls while you're at it? Hanson maybe?

It's still stupid to criticize AAL for lacking metal riffs. You can criticize them for being boring or whatever, but not for lacking something that was never their purpose in the first place. Might as well complain that Merzbow doesn't have enough melodic guitar solos.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:29 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Criticizing Britney Spears in 2013? Want to get in a shot at the Spice Girls while you're at it? Hanson maybe?

It's still stupid to criticize AAL for lacking metal riffs. You can criticize them for being boring or whatever, but not for lacking something that was never their purpose in the first place. Might as well complain that Merzbow doesn't have enough melodic guitar solos.

That's a rather poor comparison. Looking for metal riffs in heavy music is not nearly as arbitrary as that. What kind of relevance does Spears' being passé have here? If you think that somehow undermined my logic, you really missed the point.

And technically, criticising Merzbow for lacking melody is perfectly valid. The music is harsh and borderline unlistenable to most people. It's wholly withing reason for them to point out that they think the music sucks, even if it succeeded perfectly in what the band set out to accomplish with it.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:11 am 

AAL sucks dick.

Merzbow rules hard.

Britney Spears created some of the better pop hooks in recent memory (that violin piece in "Toxic" - got-damn)

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:16 am 

yeah Frog, except I think saying she "created" these hooks is probably doing her songwriters and producers/engineers a disservice. :P
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:19 am 

Against Such Things wrote:
Maniac Matis wrote:

Learn the basics of theory: what intervals are, and how they are combined to make scales/modes and chords.

I'm going to say hold off on learning any sort of complex music theory for now. I would say learning where each note is on the fretboard is a key tool that can be extremely helpful in the long run. Hell, I've been playing for over 10 years and I still don't know where certain notes are on the fretboard. I just got to a point where I knew which chords/techniques made what sound, and then I've just been writing riffs/songs ever since. I would say that as soon as you become interested in learning a certain aspect of guitar playing or music theory (whether it's a certain scale/mode, picking technique, etc), stop what you're doing and learn it. Practice practice practice!

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:21 am 

Well after a few minutes of thinking, I decided to pre-order Fleshgod Apocalypse's new album. Despite the crappy cover art and the lackluster single they released a few weeks ago, I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt. What could go wrong right?

...RIGHT?

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:19 am 

Mike_64 wrote:
Well after a few minutes of thinking, I decided to pre-order Fleshgod Apocalypse's new album. Despite the crappy cover art and the lackluster single they released a few weeks ago, I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt. What could go wrong right?

...RIGHT?

*crickets*

:P I'm assuming you're a pretty big fan of Fleshgod Apocalypse to pre-order their album considering you're not a fan of the material you've heard so far. I hope for your sake the rest of the album is an improvement to that craptastic single they've released.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:32 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
yeah Frog, except I think saying she "created" these hooks is probably doing her songwriters and producers/engineers a disservice. :P

duly noted Abom! Court moves to change the word to "provided, but not created" - all in favor?

Also, I can't get over Bosse-De-Nage's III - it's hella good.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:06 pm 

Gypaetus wrote:
Mike_64 wrote:

...RIGHT?

*crickets*

:P I'm assuming you're a pretty big fan of Fleshgod Apocalypse to pre-order their album considering you're not a fan of the material you've heard so far. I hope for your sake the rest of the album is an improvement to that craptastic single they've released.

Very big fan :)

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:45 pm 

Deucalion wrote:
I've been having some health concerns, as well. My skin turns red easily, and I tend to have a red burning sensation that comes and goes on different parts of my body. My knee was burning a few nights ago, and when I looked at it, half of it was very red. It's hot to the touch, as well. It sorta reminds me of a "sun hitting you" kinda feeling. I also have a patch that's been on my side for months now. I fear it's some sort of lymphoma or skin cancer (the first doctor thought it was a fungus; the second thought it was eczema...it doesn't itch). I also have at least one sore in my mouth (stopped hurting days ago, but it's still there). This isn't really the place to post such things, but yeah.

I'm not doctor but that sounds really close to what I had going on when I had shingles last year. Have you ever had chicken pox? If so it could be shingles.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:02 pm 

Why is the first world so cruel to me? First Dawnbringer album for 30 dollars plus the equal amount in shipping costs, second Dawnbringer album for a whopping 73 dollars plus shipping costs... Maybe I should send the band a message with the question if they are planning to re-release their older albums in the future because this is a little bit too much for me.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:31 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:

I dunno, man, leave Hanson out of this... I always thought those girls were kinda hot.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:32 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
I'm going to say hold off on learning any sort of complex music theory for now. I would say learning where each note is on the fretboard is a key tool that can be extremely helpful in the long run. Hell, I've been playing for over 10 years and I still don't know where certain notes are on the fretboard. I just got to a point where I knew which chords/techniques made what sound, and then I've just been writing riffs/songs ever since. I would say that as soon as you become interested in learning a certain aspect of guitar playing or music theory (whether it's a certain scale/mode, picking technique, etc), stop what you're doing and learn it. Practice practice practice!

Against Such Things wrote:

Thanks for the advice, both of you!

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:37 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Why is the first world so cruel to me? First Dawnbringer album for 30 dollars plus the equal amount in shipping costs, second Dawnbringer album for a whopping 73 dollars plus shipping costs... Maybe I should send the band a message with the question if they are planning to re-release their older albums in the future because this is a little bit too much for me.

That's a bitch. I spent about $85 US for Antestor's The Forsaken and Det Tep Liev or whatever it's called on ebay a little bit ago and when I get paid tomorrow I'll be dropping about $75 US on another CD I really want.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:51 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:

That's a bitch. I spent about $85 US for Antestor's The Forsaken and Det Tep Liev or whatever it's called on ebay a little bit ago and when I get paid tomorrow I'll be dropping about $75 US on another CD I really want.

Whats even worse is that their aren't any working download links of those albums. So the only way I will ever be able to listen to them is through buying those insanly expensive copies, or Dawnbringer re-releasing them. I did just find out that they are actually re-releasing ALL their albums on vinyl, so maybe I'll just buy the vinyl versions. It's better than nothing. I dunno, buying those expensive copies is tempting, but they are second hand. They are being described as "in mint condition" and both sellers have a 90+ rating, so it seems legit.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197 ... 518  Next