Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:28 pm 

Something I've been contemplating at work today in light of the recent Varg Vikernes travesty, this is going to sound really stupid: my left ear kinda sticks out funny while my right ear is perfectly normal. While I'm not sure if Varg would group me in with the untermensch; but seeing as he's kinda doing that if his blog is any indicator (anyone who looks even slightly less than beautiful, let's assume he does. Varg has also said that the way to heal Europe is to have more European children. Now what if 18 years from now, I had sex with one of his grown daughters and fathered one or more children with her? Would he disown his daughter for blending with the impure blood of someone who doesn't give a flying fuck about his ancestral origins and spends most of his day listening to Jew music such as Varg's own material like Burzum's self-titled which was further tainted by Euronymous' guest appearance?

Alright, satire's over.

But anyway, I'm tired of Varg (and other people, not all of them white supremacists either) thinking they can make the world better by bringing more cabbages into being. At the same time, I'm partly interested in how his children are going to turn out. Will they grow up indoctrinated by their parents' bullshit or will they eventually start questioning what their parents say like normal teenagers do? And if they do, how will Varg react?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:31 pm 

He'll massacre them and their peers on some island.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:38 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Whats even worse is that their aren't any working download links of those albums. So the only way I will ever be able to listen to them is through buying those insanly expensive copies, or Dawnbringer re-releasing them. I did just find out that they are actually re-releasing ALL their albums on vinyl, so maybe I'll just buy the vinyl versions. It's better than nothing. I dunno, buying those expensive copies is tempting, but they are second hand. They are being described as "in mint condition" and both sellers have a 90+ rating, so it seems legit.

Second hand is pretty much all I buy unless it's a new release. Sometimes you just gota risk it, and for stuff that's that rare I usually just bite the bullet and pay out the ass. You just got to decide whether it's worth the money to see that damn album everyday and for me it usually is.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Last edited by Erosion of Humanity on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:40 pm 

How much does Spotify pay Robb Flynn and that guy from Disturbed for being spokesmen?
Spoiler: show
Quote:
Flynn:
"In fact, I was talking to a buddy out here on [Rockstar Energy Drink] Mayhem [Festival] the other day, and he was telling me about a band's new record I should check out, and I was like, 'Oh, yeah, thanks for the reminder. I'll have to Spotify that,' and he gave me a little shit, like, 'Oh, man, you gotta go and 'buy' that shit,' and I was, like, 'I AM buying it, I got Spotify Premium, they're getting money off my stream and if I love it, I'll most likely buy it on iTunes, but dude, I'm on tour, at an amphitheater in the middle of nowhere, when am I going to buy that shit at a store? That most likely doesn't even carry said record?'

"That's the beauty of Spotify. I can get music in an instant, no waiting, no trips to the store, literally within 30 seconds! For 10 bucks a month!! Shit, I spend 5 times that on fucking coffee which doesn't do jack shit for me!!

Quote:
Singer from Disturbed: "Gentlemen,

"The days of the hard-copy product have been over for quite some time. All artists these days are dealing with a frustrating situation when it comes to generating revenue and awareness of our respective projects, wether they be new ones, or established.

"Make no mistake that the reason for the current state of reduced revenues for new artists is piracy, and NOT Spotify.

"All artists who actually write their own songs have publishing royalties. Those royalties, unless your songs become hits, are minute, compared to the profit generated from mp3 sales or hard record (CD/vinyl) sales. We've known that and dealt with that all of our careers. Would any songwriter out there be looking to divest themselves from the publishing infrastructure and risk losing the potential revenue that can come from the spins a hit song generates? Of course not. Spotify is simply an alternate form of potential revenue stream much in the same way publishing royalties can be. It was never meant to be a replacement for the old retail infrastructure, it was meant to make piracy obsolete by providing an amazing online service, at a reasonable cost to the user/music fan. You cut off Spotify and you are cutting off your nose to spite your face.

"If you really want to take issue with someone, take issue with the license holders of your songs and the rate you've contractually negotiated with them, not Spotify. Unlike streaming entities like Pandora, for example, Spotify has never attempted to try to further limit license holders' royalties in favor of a larger profit margin.

"The level of awareness generated by Spotify for new artists, having the engine searching your existing playlists and tastes, with the right Spotify applications such as Spotify radio, can bring your music to the ears of millions of new potential fans that just random placement on some bittorent site would never do.

"You can't fight the future or the advancement of technology; it is pointless. There are those who have tried to cling to an antiquated retail infrastructure, that have quickly become extinct before they ever even had a chance to thrive. Do not try to coerce a new generation of fledgling artists into a stance which would be incredibly counter-productive for them, and their development of their respective brands/music.

"In closing, Spotify has given us a platform to finally combat piracy on a real level, created an entirely new and separate revenue stream, and brings us closer to the potential fans out there that are truly thirsting for what we have created in an efficient and economic manner.

"Would you rather the world simply steal your music?"

They come across like ads rather than why they like it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:50 pm 

Haha, that is fucking pathetic. Also, the insane leaps of logic there are brilliant. Somehow, piracy hurts their music sales because pirates get it for free instead of spending money on mp3s/CDs but at the same time Spotify, which apparently doesn't compete with album sales at all but rather serves as simply an additional revenue stream, then in turn prevents piracy?

Maybe if that Disturbed guy spent less time figuring out nonsensical logic for this ad (uh, I mean, unpaid testimonial!) and more time writing music, his band wouldn't be utter shite. Probably not, though.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:51 pm 

He should stick to the ads. Better than having more of his shit music in the world anyway.

Used CDs are cool because they're cheap - hell, I got both of those Carcass albums for about 8 bucks total, though the shipping was worse because of my new North Dakota address I guess. Either way. But I like supporting the band and buying new stuff when I can.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:58 pm 

These days I tend to only purchase new albums in cassette form because they're cheap as fuck; and they're taken from shows so it goes directly to the band. 95% of my collection is used albums and stuff I've inherited.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:24 pm 

Look in my face, stare in my soul, you should be using Spotify!

:oh shit:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:26 pm 

OOWAGH
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:40 pm 

Man, that Varg thread has turned into pure gold! :lol:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:25 pm 

One of the absolute worst production jobs I've heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q24vJeZvdgM

Pretty funny, in fact. Go Windir!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:45 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:

That lead guitar (or keyboard?) sounded like something out of a Sega Genesis game.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:56 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:

That lead guitar (or keyboard?) sounded like something out of a Sega Genesis game.

It's all midi files aside from the vocals.

if there are any honest instruments in there I'll swallow my head in shock but that sounds exactly like stuff I've been sent or heard that's totally just programed shit.

and it does straight up sound like some 16bit bullshit.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:30 pm 

Is it me or are the drums on the Blind Guardian remixes (A Traveler's Guide to Space and Time and Memories of a Time to Come) all either triggered or rerecorded? They all sound alike across albums and very much unlike the originals. The remixes all sound leagues better than the original mixes (despite the dynamic range compression), but I hate to think that they would have just replaced all of Thomen Stauch's parts to screw him out of royalty money.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:57 pm 

I'm most liking buying my first car on Friday. It's a silvery-brown Ford Explorer (I believe it's an 02) that I'm getting from a dealer my dad's known for over a decade. Gonna be awesome to finally have wheels of my own.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:06 am 

Subrick wrote:
I'm most liking buying my first car on Friday. It's a silvery-brown Ford Explorer (I believe it's an 02) that I'm getting from a dealer my dad's known for over a decade. Gonna be awesome to finally have wheels of my own.

When I was a kid, I told myself I was going to be riding this one day:
a dragon motorcycle? How cool is that?!

I ended up with this:
'02 Focus. Seems like it finds ways to screw up all on its own.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:09 am 

At least you got it in the same color.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:11 am 

It sucks being a fan of metal with clean singing in a world that only notices stuff with harsh vocals. Seriously though, it gets less coverage overall, and I'm stuck having to dig.

I like some stuff with growls, but researching melodeath or finding recommendations can be hard. Doom/death is a bit easier.

Just need a place to bitch about metal probs every once in a while.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:14 am 

the_raytownian wrote:
Subrick wrote:

When I was a kid, I told myself I was going to be riding this one day:
a dragon motorcycle? How cool is that?!

I ended up with this:
'02 Focus. Seems like it finds ways to screw up all on its own.

Hammer and chisel that motherfucker into dragonland and let your childhood reign supreme.

Obligatory Last FM Link

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:20 am 

So who has checked out the new Kayne West album. It's really good. I never really liked Kayne but the beats on this album are dark and minimal and different from about 98% of the rap out there.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:55 am 

Ewwww... why the FUCK would I want to check anything from that complete and utter douche-bag?! o_O :nono:

My collection

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:34 am 

Wilytank wrote:
But anyway, I'm tired of Varg (and other people, not all of them white supremacists either) thinking they can make the world better by bringing more cabbages into being. At the same time, I'm partly interested in how his children are going to turn out. Will they grow up indoctrinated by their parents' bullshit or will they eventually start questioning what their parents say like normal teenagers do? And if they do, how will Varg react?

If the girls from Prussian Blue can reconsider their beliefs - even slightly - with the American education system, I can't imagine Varg's children will have huge issues wondering what the hell their crazy parents are on about when they live in a country that's relatively liberal by world standards.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:32 am 

"History tells us Blair was destroyed by Iraq. Blair will be only remembered for that, just as Sir Anthony Eden will be remembered for Suez."

multi-millionaire = Destroyed :scratch:

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:32 am 

mindshadow wrote:
"History tells us Blair was destroyed by Iraq. Blair will be only remembered for that, just as Sir Anthony Eden will be remembered for Suez."

multi-millionaire = Destroyed :scratch:

Isn't it wonderful to be able to measure everything consistently with money only? That has actual value, and as long as you have enough of it, everything is fine.

Right?

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:53 am 

Napero wrote:
Isn't it wonderful to be able to measure everything consistently with money only? That has actual value, and as long as you have enough of it, everything is fine.

Right?

This may come as a shock Napero but some people actually base their actions solely for the purpose of attaining great wealth, and hardly stop to consider others wellbeing in the pursuit of it. They seek positions of trust not to help but to plunder.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:56 am 

This is one of the funnier pranks I've seen of late.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8zTHS9r6E4

This guy thinks he is going to bungee jump off an old bridge.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:12 am 

mindshadow wrote:

Not true, at all. He'll be remembered as the only man in England who dared brave Cherie's twat. That and he lived to tell the tale!

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:28 am 

Subrick wrote:

Don't get too attached to it, in 1 or 2 years you will end up totalling it anyway

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:59 am 

Hey everybody, I'm typing this on my new labtop. It's a dell inspiron 15r with Windows 8. I'm still getting used too it but it seems to be alright.

Last edited by henkkjelle on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:46 am 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
So who has checked out the new Kayne West album. It's really good. I never really liked Kayne but the beats on this album are dark and minimal and different from about 98% of the rap out there.

Have ya ever asked ya bitch for other bitches?

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:48 am 

Subrick wrote:

Ah, hauling gear to and from shows would be so much easier if I had an Explorer, or something similar. I just wish they did a little better on gas, since I drive to New Orleans/Atlanta/north Mississippi/Tennessee pretty often.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:58 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
Hey everybody, I'm typing this on my new laptop. It's a dell inspiron 15r with Windows 8. I'm still getting used it but it seems to be alright.

What are the hardware specs, give us some hardware porn!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:01 am 

xThe__Wizard wrote:

Kanye should go totally on the dissonant riffing style. DsO-inspired rap.

Just a bit of politics: this year there'll be elections here and the right-wing candidate dropped for depression. The left-wing one is an ex-president and looks like she'll win with ease.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:37 am 

I hate it. It's uninspired "murk" rap beats coupled with annoying Reznor rip-offs. With that said, some of the samples are awesome. But, it's hardly worth the praise it's getting. There's a few more rappers doing more interesting things - hell I think that annoying cracker Mac Miller had a more interesting output this year.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:06 pm 

Kanye West is a massively overrated shithead who does shitmusic and to add to the offense his fanbase is about as annoying as the man himself.
Also lol'd hard at the lyrics for that New Slaves song, I don't see what business a massive trendster like him has singing that kind of stuff.

Here some real raw rap for you bustas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ2EKdjRw5c

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:09 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Hey everybody, I'm typing this on my new labtop. It's a dell inspiron 15r with Windows 8. I'm still getting used too it but it seems to be alright.

Quite alright indeed.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:33 pm 

iAm wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:

Quite alright indeed.

Uh... no, it's just a factory error. Nvm that.....

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:46 pm 

Marag wrote:
Here some real raw rap for you bustas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ2EKdjRw5c

My friend fucked up his car speakers listening to this. Viper4lyfe.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:30 pm 

Marag wrote:

Was not really expecting a Viper drop here, lol.

last.fm

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:34 pm 

that viper song is awful

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 518  Next