Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:10 pm 

Would his role in Saw count under the "tired black guy" category? He is playing an old, post-career (albeit forced post-career due to getting his partner's head blown up) cop, but on the other hand he's also gone crazy due to obsessing over Jigsaw.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:38 pm 

Yeah, I'd say it def fits his MO.

Old? Check.
Retired? Check.
Feels some sort of duty to finish something even though he's tired and old? Check.

Yep, role was written for Danny Glover.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:41 pm 

Now if only the sequels didn't happen. If they didn't happen, then they wouldn't have made the Saw video game where his character is brought back to life, completely shitting in the face of the first movie.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 pm 

Even his role in Silverado was a tired guy and that was from the mid eighties. It's too bad vigilantees don't retire or that would count too!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:39 pm 

Currently wishing the vocals on Entombed's Clandestine were better. Kinda killing this for me a bit...a shame because the music itself is pretty damn solid. Awesome production.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:54 pm 

Entombed are really disappointing after Left Hand Path. They should have called it quits then.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:58 pm 

Clandestine says hello.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:04 pm 

Clandestine is a fun album but not nearly as great as Left Hand Path. But I agree, it would have been a loss if it would have never been recorded, as opposed to Wolverine Blues.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:06 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Currently wishing the vocals on Entombed's Clandestine were better. Kinda killing this for me a bit...a shame because the music itself is pretty damn solid. Awesome production.

You know I actually just bought this CD on Tuesday and I found myself wishing the exact same thing. Wasn't it something like the drummer did the vocals for that one or something dumb like that? But yeah to be honest I've never listened to much Entombed before so I don't know what their other vocalist sound like but the guy who did Clandestine just kinda sucked.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:07 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Clandestine says hello.

It's a mediocre album though. Listenable, but mediocre.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:09 pm 

Nah, it's definitely above average death metal.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:19 pm 

Clandestine is a great album, better than the debut as far as I and many others in our uber-secret society are concerned. One of the best death metal albums of all time. The singles 'Crawl' and 'Stranger Aeons' are worth getting, too. You guys that don't like it should can all go peel some onions.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:46 pm 

As great as Clandestine is, it doesn't beat Left Hand Path.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:49 pm 

Musically Clandestine is quite good, but the vocals give that unsatisfying impression where you're sure the person delivering them doesn't actually have that much of an ear for...well, what makes vocals work. There's this kind of "off-key" quality to them that clashes with the underlying harmonies of the guitars and brings the whole experience down a notch. Though that might sound a little odd in the context of growls or what have you ("it's not singing, dummy" :roll: ), harsh vocals do have a particular timbre and vague type of tone to them at any given moment, and when that timbre/tone fights against the music's integral harmonies it just sounds kind of shitty, like someone couldn't be bothered to pay enough attention to what they were doing.

Plus I don't feel like the actual aesthetic of the vocals fits the music particularly well (kind of a "personality clash" going on), but that's just my own take.

All that said, waiguoren, I hold your secret underground cabal in fearful reverence and would naturally defer to whatever sanctioned opinion you might wish to hear, should I be brought before you in chains.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:26 pm 

iAm wrote:
Entombed are really disappointing after Left Hand Path. They should have called it quits then.

Anyone who has seen Entombed live during the past 12 years with the mandatory 6 pints begs to disagree.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:14 pm 

Danny Glover IS too old for this shit, and the Lethal Weapon movies (there is no 4rth one. None at all.) are some of my favourite action movies of all time.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:17 pm 

So today while class was cancelled I grabbed another coffee and these scene kids approached me and declared me as their new guitarist. :|

Doesn't mean I still don't want to see them live, Napero! And after six pints most everything is good ;)

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:24 pm 

iAm wrote:
So today while class was cancelled I grabbed another coffee and these scene kids approached me and declared me as their new guitarist. :|

Congratulations on your new career as a screamo or crabcore musician. Unfortunately this means you'll have to delete your MA account asap.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:27 pm 

iAm wrote:
And after six pints most everything is good

That's only because of your Death Valley location, really. You're a thirsty fellow. I do not consider everything I hear after six pints to be excellent. It just might help getting the idea sometimes.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:30 pm 

iAm wrote:

That's strange. If people approached me when my classes were cancelled two days ago you would've most likely been harassed for coming to class during a staff strike and that you're ruining everyone's education by being on university grounds.

Yeah, there was a staff strike on Tuesday and Wednesday and the students that joined the strike were very forceful about their point. To the point of forcefully disrupting lectures and some people being arrested. It wasn't a pretty sight.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:32 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Congratulations on your new career as a screamo musician.

I really hope they've at least heard of Moss Icon or something. I have no problem playing stuff like that.

That could actually be partly true; I've noticed at higher elevations it takes much more to even get me remotely drunk.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:09 pm 

Really? I thought it would have been the other way around, due to lower oxygen levels, or something...

My collection

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:17 pm 

Something like that; who knows. I've noticed I tend to drink more rum and other hard liquor up in the mountains and stick to beer down here in the valley.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:40 pm 

Receiving CDs after your biggest day of the semester is the best feeling ever!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:14 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
Clandestine is a great album, better than the debut as far as I and many others in our uber-secret society are concerned. One of the best death metal albums of all time. The singles 'Crawl' and 'Stranger Aeons' are worth getting, too. You guys that don't like it should can all go peel some onions.

The EP version of Crawl is way better, and that's the only memorable song on Clandestine.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:27 pm 

I still love that this is a thing.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:56 pm 

Hircine wrote:
waiguoren wrote:

The EP version of Crawl is way better, and that's the only memorable song on Clandestine.

I can't believe I just read that. Clandestine is solid the whole way through and equally as awesome as the debut. Whatchya all smokin'?!

My collection

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:00 am 

Yeah, Clandestine is great, and the vocals are great. It's an intense, melodic album that easily has some of the best songwriting from those days, which is saying a lot. The songs were brutal, but also meticulously put together, with wonderfully sinister, opaque melodies and leads.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:02 am 

EXACTLY. What Emp just said, hell I've been listening to that album (and the debut) since it's release, and it's never worn thin at all.

My collection

Last edited by CrushedRevelation on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:04 am 

Thirding or fourthing the Clandestine love. Just insanely consistent and probably one of my favorite drum performances on any album in general.
Death metal is eternal.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:08 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
I can't believe I just read that. Clandestine is solid the whole way through and equally as awesome as the debut. Whatchya all smokin'?!

I just find it boring tbh. Doesn't do anything near what LHP does for me, or even the better death n'roll albums like Uprising.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:11 am 

Fair enough and all, but I still find it incredulous due to the awesome hookiness and brutality of it - plus those amazing, crushing, drawn out segments in Evilyn and the ripping Living Dead.

My collection

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:13 am 

Maaaaayyyyybe I'll go listen to Clandestine again. I've become too picky for my own good.

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:14 am 

I have to agree with all the people here supporting Clandestine. I love the debut and that one a lot, but I prefer Clandestine, because in the end, I think the song "Left Hand Path" is the only inmediately recognisable (I hate this word) in that album, while Clandestine has more songs with their own identity, like "Crawl" and "Evilyn".

For some reason I really love it when bands who play more complex or dense stuff release a song with simpler riffs and a more direct approach, specially if they manage to somehow retain the same feeling of the rest of the album in it.

Examples: Legacy by Black Majesty
No Mercy by Tad Morose
Kyrie Eleison by Fates Warning
I Am the Hammer by Pharaoh even though this one is only marginally simpler.

Anybody else feels like me? Other examples?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:20 am 

Menternor wrote:
For some reason I really love it when bands who play more complex or dense stuff release a song with simpler riffs and a more direct approach, specially if they manage to somehow retain the same feeling of the rest of the album in it.

Examples: Legacy by Black Majesty
No Mercy by Tad Morose
Kyrie Eleison by Fates Warning
I Am the Hammer by Pharaoh even though this one is only marginally simpler.

Anybody else feels like me? Other examples?

Man, I love stuff like that...all those songs are great. Not my favorites, but still, tons of fun. Complex bands like those have their shit down and as such, know how to rock out hard.

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:24 am 

Yeah, I guess that's the reason. It's easier to display passion and raw emotion with songs in that vein. Shows they are really passionate about what they are playing :headbang:

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:30 am 

The new Moss is doing my head in, they've changed from one of the most droning torture doom bands around into a catchy retro doom band with Ozzy-esque vocals and all. All my what the fuck.

It's actually sounding pretty huge though, just nothing like I was expecting from the band who put out Sub Templum.

Edit: Screeching and dronier stuff has arrived, surprisingly cool combo.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:13 am 

iAm wrote:
inhumanist wrote:
Congratulations on your new career as a screamo musician.

I really hope they've at least heard of Moss Icon or something. I have no problem playing stuff like that.

Moss Icon. yeh, bruv.

I dare you to make them a mix tape of bands you've been "inspired by". Be sure to include Emo Summer on it, too:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:35 am 

Include pg. 99. as well. the second band I ever was in... and was in for a long time was a screamo band. We spent a lot of time trying to rip off Hot Cross and Off Minor. haha.

and I'm in the boat of Clandestine kicking ass. I think I actually listen to it more than LHP.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:07 am 

I think Good Friday is supposed to be about passion, suffering, and redemption through them. Well, the four-day weekend just started with the youngest daughter throwing up fucking EVERYTHING. A stomach flu of some sort has been making rounds here, and it seems we'll get to enjoy it in the coming days, when I was supposed to work on they yard in the sunshine and have a few beers and go to see my parents and whatever. Good work, Lucifer, I think I will seek for God if I get to puke...

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 518  Next