Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pig Benis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:40 pm 

Can be anything from a tour shirt to gig posters.

Id say my vinyl copy of Buckethead - KFC Skinpiles. Then again there is my Black Dahlia Murder - What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse. I'm sure some of you have ultra gems in your collections. Ive only been at it for 4 or 5 years.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:57 pm 

Hmm... not much, really. I mean, plenty of things that are limited to fewer than 100 copies, but not much with a substantial amount of demand. I own the first pressings of three Rhinocervs tapes and a CD copy of Disaffected's Vast, and I also have a bunch of autographed Lykathea Aflame stuff, but aside from that there's nothing close to "I could eat for a week if I sold this on eBay".

Pig Benis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:04 pm 

hahah great way to put it! I mean there are always times when you see something mega rare going for pittance on eBay, hit or miss a lot of times.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:09 pm 

Here's a few of my most cherished CDs:

Nuclear Assault "Survive" (real version, not a bootleg)
-You know, I'm not even that huge on this album (I like the albums surrounding it much more), but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling owning it.

October Tide "Rain Without End" (1st pressing)
-I don't even want to know how bad the remastered version sounds. This one used to go for a lot, dunno if its price dropped or not. Nice album too!

Black Destiny "In Neo Noir"
-For years I wanted this album badly, then one day it randomly appeared on ebay and I won it for under $15 (I was willing to spend 5x that)

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:12 pm 

Original tape of Esoteric's demo, easily.

Then I guess Pavor's debut I suppose, I've got plenty of stuff around that sort of value.

Pig Benis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:23 pm 

Spoiler: show
forgot to add my limited edition of Justin Biebers 1st album.

Last edited by Zodijackyl on Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User was warned for this post.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:29 am 

This is probably the (or one of the) most valuable records I own, at least according to Discogs statistics:
http://www.discogs.com/Mars-EP/release/442727

The most valuable metal record I own is probably this one:
http://www.discogs.com/Acc%C3%BCsed-The ... se/2544944

As for metal merch, my stepdad gave me a gnarly Dio black light poster. It's apparently valuable. He also gave me a Last In Line tour shirt that's unfortunately way too small for me, but also valuable, and just cool to have:
ImageImage
(these are not my photos, but examples I found online)

I keep the poster tacked on the wall (it already had loads of tack holes in the corners, but maybe I'll frame it one of these days). I keep the shirt in my closet. Maybe I'll find a way to frame that too, though.

EDIT: I also have an old cardboard longbox for the US CD edition of "Meat Is Murder" by The Smiths. I keep that on the wall, too. I've seen several Smiths/Morrissey longboxes, but this is the only MIM one I've ever come across, though it's not in perfect shape or anything.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:04 am 

My prized possessions are,

Carelian Satanist Madness CD - This was literally the band that both introduced me to black metal, as well as ended my fear of satanism early on. I found it a few years back for a few bucks at a half priced books&music in highland park, and it was just one of the coolest things because it was that album specifically, and when I got home and looked it up on amazon, it was $60 used. No I know now that I could get it for the same price on discogs probably, but at the time it was just an awesome find.

Nordland I & II on 180 gram blue wax - This is just prized to me for being my first limited edition anything, and I waited over a month for itm going through two vendors to try and find it. Nothing compared to what I've gone through to get other albums, but it was a first time thing.

Desert Doughnuts by Metallic Falcons - Probably my favorite Freak Folk album of all time, it took a while to find and I'm happy I finally found it, and for only a buck or two at that.

Josephine Fosters I'm a Dreamer Promo - I spent a whole year checking back at half priced books for anything by her, then one day I decide to look in the 50 cents bin and I found the thing, a month before it even came out.

The last thing is my Wintersun pick. It was late in the night, I was exhausted from moshing and headbanging with a bunch of people in chicago, so I'm looking up at the top of the stage and I feel something hit my chest. I started noticing people looking for something, so I'm thinking " Damn, someone lost another phone or something" So I get my phone light out and start going down to help, and half way down I realize " Shit, Jari's pick!" and I just started searching for it, and luckily I found it. The guy next to me asked if I got it and smiled when I said yes, saying he was just glad it wasn't lost forever. I might not have gotten a signed cd that night, but that was pretty fucking sweet.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:38 am 

My first pressing of Savage Grace's- Master of Disguise cd.

I have a copy of the Dead Ringer from Hanker that you don't see around too much and a copy of The Regime-U.G.L.Y. So I guess they are kinda rare.

Perdition if you ever need money for some of those Japanese cd's you buy. I would gladly buy that Black Destiny cd off of you.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:07 am 

I'd probably say the following are the most valuable:

Nocturnus - They Key (1992 Japanese Sample edition)
Septic Flesh - Mystic Places of Dawn (1st press)
Necromantia / Varathron split (first CD press)

I have loads of early 90's Greek first presses (Necromantia, Septic Flesh, Varathron, Rotting Christ, Zemial, etc.) that are certainly valuable, but probably not as much as the first three I mentioned.
I've also got non-Greek stuff like the 1999 Japanese edition of "None So Vile" and Detest's "Dorval", but I don't think those are that valuable.

I'm proud of my Henry Rollins Band bootleg from 1993 and my whole cassette collection. Something about there only being 50 hand numbered copies of a piece of recorded music makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

EDIT: I've also got a copy of Immolation's latest album signed by all the band members.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:09 am 

I own this: http://www.discogs.com/Appalling-Spawn- ... se/3584642 probably my rarest and most expensive CD.

Antestor's The Forsaken and Det Tapte Liv combo pack limited to 1000 copies http://www.discogs.com/Antestor-The-For ... se/2405056

Arvinger's Helgards Fall is also pretty rare http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?releas ... 1274&ev=rb

If I think of more I'll post 'em.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:25 am 

Probably "The Red Jewel" by Tartaros as I found it in a used CD shop for $7 and then realized it goes for $30-$40 on ebay.

Also the original version of Ars Moriendi by Lunar Aurora, since it took me quite a bit of time to get one on eBay that didn't end with me giving up on a bidding war (I ended up paying like $24.)

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:44 pm 

My copy of the re-release of Mayhem's "Pure Fucking Armageddon", limited to 1000 copies, my copy of Mayhem's DVD soundtrack, limited to 500 copies, Immortal's home vídeo "Masters Of Nebulah Frost", and the first press of Moonspell's "Under The Moonspell".

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:10 pm 

Until it was reissued last year, I always thought Slipknot's (crossover band) s/t EP was one of the rarest things I owned, but I'm not sure just how rare it was. I didn't spend a whole lot to get it but since almost nobody knows about the crossover Slipknot for obvious reasons, I figured it was a pretty valuable thing I had on me. I also have an original press of Nocturnus' "The Key", which was another steal at a random used music shop, and also Sabbat's "Blood for the Blood God" flexi-disc, which I thought I'd never see anywhere for a reasonable price.

I do have some other rarities on CD like Angel Dust's "To Dust You Will Decay", Anacrusis' "Reason", Deathrow's "Deception Ignored", but I have a feeling they're probably all bootlegs unfortunately.

zatoth12
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:21 pm 

-The two pencil sketch studies I did of Blasphemer for the first of the three "Black Wings" pieces that Blasphemer signed
-the Peter Beste photo of Blasphemer (it is currently at the frame shop)(if you go to his blog site, Beste has it marked sold)
-a signed pencil sketch Roger Dean did in one of my sketchbooks at NEARfest
-a photo from a German photographer of Dave Brock of Hawkwind and Dave Wyndorf of Monster Magnet performing at Sweden Rock Fest
-Time of the Hawklords original publication by Mike Butterworth

Music wise-
-The Moon Lay Hidden Beneath a Cloud cd (it looks like a Latin name)
-Hawkwind metal plaque with cd
-Archangels of the Sex Rule Destruction of the Regime cassette
-Ava Inferi Onyx signed by Blasphemer

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:43 pm 

Forgot to mention my copy of Moonspell's "Under Satanae", signed personally to me by the whole band.

Bogdaniel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:00 am 

It would probably be the self-titled Abramelin album from Thrust Records, with the Transgression From Acheron EP included with it. I've seen it being sold for a couple hundred bucks, and I only paid $5 for it. :)

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:25 am 

I'd be listing a lot of releases if I went through every rare or signed item in my collection. Instead I'll go by something with some sentiment.

Original presses of Iron Maiden's The Number of the Beast and Powerslave - my brother's friend bought them at a used record shop and couldn't get into it, so he sold them to me. Who would've known that these are originals?

The wooden box edition of The Book of Kings DLP by Mournful Congregation - Easily the most expensive item in my collection. The presentation of the box is amazing and the LPs themselves look great, and inside is my name saying "This is property of..." and the limitation number.

The Monad of Creation by Mournful Congregation, signed by Damon Good - My favourite album signed by the band's frontman. Definitely my most sentimental piece.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:41 am 

i paid £100 for Devin Townsend's By a Thread Boxset, making it the most expensive item of music I've purchased.

I've got all of the records by The Gathering, and all the ones which Anneke sung on are signed, Home might be my most prized because it took me ages to find a copy. It also seems to go for £125 on average, so signed it must be worth a lot.

Stabwounds by Dark Fortress has been one of my favourite albums for 10 years now, and I got that on vinyl a year and a half ago, and since got it signed, really pleased with that.

I bought Air by Anneke Van Giersbergen on vinyl and got the last copy which is lucky!:

And I've got a copy of For Dear Life by The End of the World Championship on cassette to come in the post, limited to just 30 copies.

Last edited by Twin_guitar_attack on Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:49 am 

I'm not much of a serious collector, but was really happy to find a copy of Judas Iscariot's final live recording "Under the Black Sun" just sitting in a used bin. It was limited to I think 200 copies, mines #18.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:52 am 

I have an Overkill - Horrorscope shirt that is really old. It says "Horrorscope tour 1991" on the back.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Pig Benis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:58 am 

80s and 90s tour shirts are some of the best and most interesting collectables ever. for me the allure is seeing what places the band played at, even better if they have the names of the venues.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:35 pm 

About 3 years ago a local record store had a massive blow-out sale of some really obscure black metal from all over the world-the story I was told when I asked about it was that some guy in Missouri had died and the family drove across state lines to sell off his massive 500+ collection to this record store in the middle of Illinois, needless to say, neither the family that sold off his collection nor the store that bought it had any idea how much some of his albums were worth.
Here's some of the highlights of what I got for the less than $6 each.
Beherit-Oath of Black Blood (turbo records release-not sure if that's the original)
Satanic Warmaster-Gas Chamber/Black metal Kommando EP along with Opferblut and a split with Clandestine Blaze
Sarcofago-I.N.R.I. (Cogumelo records release, again, not sure whether that's the original release or not.)
Gospel of the Horns- A call to arms and The Satanist's Dream demo
Camulos- Der Untermensch (one of my favorites that I got, not NSBM to my knowledge, but really melodic, almost like Amon Amarth at times)

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:47 pm 

I own both Darkness Descends and Killers on vinyl, the latter being a picture disc. The former is an original Combat Records print from 1986, so that's probably the rarest thing I own at the moment.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:46 pm 

Not too much in terms of Metal (by that I mean not worth $70+), but I was looking around discogs and realized a lot of the Industrial/noise/neofolk stuff in my collection is worth a packet. Signed Death in June vinyl, heaps of Cold Meat Industry LP's I got signed when some of those guys played over here, stuff like that.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Gus Kiriakis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:36 pm 

My rarest LP is Mystic Places of Dawn picture disc by Septic Flesh: http://www.discogs.com/Septic-Flesh-Mys ... se/3262601

My rarest single is the Ancient Rites / Thou Art Lord split: http://www.discogs.com/Ancient-Rites-2- ... ase/517168

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:00 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
October Tide "Rain Without End" (1st pressing)
-I don't even want to know how bad the remastered version sounds.

The remaster sounds fine.

Anyways I've got some Bongripper stuff, namely Satan Worshipping Doom (original pressing) and Heroin (box #1 of 25), as well as the original pressings of Slumber of Sullen Eyes, Psychostasia, Obscura etc.

~Guest 247223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:17 pm 

Dad's Black Sabbath first album vinyl bought in 1970s. Smuggled through the Iron curtain into USSR those days.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:10 pm 

For me it'd be my Strapping Young Lad City shirt which I believe is an original pressing from 1997 which I got for $7 from someone off the internet.

I wore it to a Devin Townsend show and his British manager saw me wearing it, said he's first tour as a manager for him was that City tour and loved the shirt and gave me a wrist band which got me on stage with Devin that night.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:18 pm 

Some other stuff I didn't think to mention:

Black Sabbath - Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath (8-Track edition w/o the logo):
http://www.discogs.com/Black-Sabbath-Sa ... se/5124192
It's not actually rare or particularly valuable outside of eBay, I'm sure (music buyers on eBay seem to be some of the biggest suckers on earth), but it has personal value. I'm enthusiastic about old/outdated formats, especially when they contain music I actually like and are in good shape. I got it cheap and in really excellent condition, so I'm glad to own it. I wouldn't even mention it if the sticker were badly cracked, bubbling or faded, though.

Other non-metal stuff:
-Cutsaw/Sirhan Sirhan split EP
-Signed copy of Anal Cunt's "110 Song CD", first edition. Signed by the band.
-Pre-order copy of Anal Cunt's "Fuckin' A" with signed and numbered Seth Putnam photo.
-Test press CD-r copy of the same album. Its release was delayed for a bit. I'd made another order from Patac Records in the meantime and asked if they could just hold my order to ship it all together once "Fuckin' A" was ready to ship, and he instead offered to send the test press copy with my order until the commercial copies were ready. Nice fellow.
-Anal Cunt "Spring Break" shirt I'm too embarrassed to wear in public:
(not my photo)

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:38 am 

My CD of Black Hole's (Italy) Living Mask. Unlike the rest of their material, this hasn't been reissued recently. It was recorded in 1988 and released in 2000 by Andromeda Relics, and I think that's the only release it's had. I bought it for a little over $20 on gemm.com some years ago. The disc was a little scratched, and the spines of the back insert were coming off (see the pics below), but it was a great find. At first I had ordered it from a music shop, after about a month without receiving it, I was refunded my money, and the listing was taken off the site. Then I found it later in someone's ebay store, so I ordered it there. About another month, and the same thing happened. Then I found it at gemm.com. Not only is the CD rare as hell, but at the time, I couldn't even find the music to download anywhere, or on youtube. So getting the CD was me hearing the music for the first time. Most of the comments I've seen on the net about it from fans of the band say negative things about it, but I think it's great and really rivals Land of Mystery. The only downside is the poorly programmed drums, but after a while, even that has a certain charm that really fits the music.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:03 am 

Gus Kiriakis wrote:
My rarest LP is Mystic Places of Dawn picture disc by Septic Flesh: http://www.discogs.com/Septic-Flesh-Mys ... se/3262601

My rarest single is the Ancient Rites / Thou Art Lord split: http://www.discogs.com/Ancient-Rites-2- ... ase/517168

The picture disc is beautiful. I'm pretty jealous.

Gus Kiriakis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:19 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
Gus Kiriakis wrote:

Thanks man. Truth be told, I did a little research, and found out that this is my 2nd rarest LP, just left it as it is cos you quoted it. Turns out that my Imaginations From The Other Side picture LP is rarer, always according to Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/Blind-Guardian-I ... se/3279888
Lucky me.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:45 pm 

Gus Kiriakis wrote:
Poisonfume wrote:

Thanks man. Truth be told, I did a little research, and found out that this is my 2nd rarest LP, just left it as it is cos you quoted it. Turns out that my Imaginations From The Other Side picture LP is rarer, always according to Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/Blind-Guardian-I ... se/3279888
Lucky me.

Where on discogs does it determine how rare it is?

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:21 pm 

Quote:
Dad's Black Sabbath first album vinyl bought in 1970s. Smuggled through the Iron curtain into USSR those days.

That is awesome. A real family heirloom.

Quote:

You can usually guess by the prices it's going for.

As for me, I've just recently started collecting metal stuff again, so I don't have anything very rare or valuable. Especially since I lost my entire collection(!) of 130+ mostly metal CD's in a house fire in 2003. Including some classic death metal albums like 'Pierced From Within' and 'Molesting the Decapitated' which are now seemingly hard to find for under $30.

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:20 pm 

I have many rare original pressing metal cds like Deathamin- Mass of what, Testimonia- Testimonia, Lazarus sin- Intracranial mass, Appalling spawn- freedom hope and fury, Leviathen- Onward thru the fog, Anacrusis- suffering hour just to name a few.
My rarest non metal cd is Pink Floyd- Wish you were here 35dp 4 2 track japanese pressing with gold colored top, this almost always sells for $500+ on ebay and I've seen it sell for over $1000 once or twice, this was one of the first cds ever manufactured, made in 1982. A sealed one of these sold for $5000 one time.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:46 am 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Quote:

You can usually guess by the prices it's going for.

If you set up an account and add the stuff in your collection, you can actually see the Min/Med/Max sales figures for every item in your collection that has been sold in the Discogs marketplace (though you only have the #'s from the Discogs marketplace, so it's not necessarily the most accurate pricing data outside of that site). That said, if you're buying or selling, you can always compare it to data from other reputable sites like Gemm and the like.
On the "Collection" page of your profile, click on "Text With Statistics" in the far right:

Though pricing may not be universally accurate, it's certainly a better indication than, say, eBay, where I've seen people bidding their paychecks away on the same obviously fake copies of the first Dystopia demo, dubbed on to obviously brand new tapes (obvious if you know fuck all about what they should look like, and what the ones they sell at Wally-World today look like, anyway), all from the same seller... repeatedly!

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:11 am 

^Why did you blur the min/median/max prices in that picture? :scratch:

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:14 am 

I felt that showing the numbers would seem ostentatious since they aren't necessary for the example.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:21 am 

If pure monetary value is the measuring stick here, it would be HIM's first EP, Prologue: 666 Ways to Love, which I got second-hand for 8 FIM, or about 1.2€. Hasn't gotten much play, but I've once seen it go on eBay for 1805 US$, and it fetches regularly something between 300...700€. The last song on it is actually pretty good, and "Wicked Game's" catchiness factor runs through the roof...

I've noticed a few CDs in my collection being mentioned as "rarities" occasionally, for example Nuclear Assault's Survive or Sadus' Swallowed in Black first presses, but my own most valued items used to be Blind Illusion's The Sane Asylum and Rigor Mortis' Freaks EP, both of which I bought for pretty steep sums of money before the reissues.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next