droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:34 pm 

Texta - Gegenüber

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:46 am 

I'm not a big fan of the genre at large. Mostly because of the lingo and the lyrical subjects. Partly because it feels alien to me (the ghetto heavy song subjects) and partly because I strongly dislike some subjects (the pro-drug stance and the misogyny and sexism). And if I look for artists without any of the above I usually end up with comedic stuff which I also dislike. These things don't fly for me in metal or any other genre either.

However on a song to song basis I can really appreciate some stuff. The first rap song I liked was probably this:

The most recent discovery might be this:

I like some of the Eminem stuff I've heard through the years:

The only artist, so far, where I actually appreciate him throughout a whole album is Bones:

So I mostly know of the mainstream stuff but I really, really like Bones so I'm looking into more rap like that. if anyone has suggestions feel free to recommend me some. In general I like the genre best when it has a darker (or sad) feel to it - like all the videos I posted.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:30 am 

Nobody does dark and gritty better than Bones, but $uicideboy$ and Pouya are on the same lane. I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside was an introspective, self-effacing, dark release by Earl Sweatshirt. The Swede Yung Lean ain't that bad for a little Bones feel. Last I checked Digital Underground were a non misogynist, clean rap group but their kind of funk I found too boring.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:33 pm 

Quote:
I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside

Probably one of my favorite albums of all time, I've listened to it so many times. Just fucking perfect.

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:34 am 

Wow, six years later this thread is back.

A few favourites would be:
Wu-Tang - Enter The 36 Chambers
GZA - Liquid Swords
Cypress Hill - IV
Cypress Hill - Black Sunday
Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton
Aesop Rock - Labour Days
MF Doom - Mm... Food
Madvillain - Madvillainy.

Edit: So this isn't just a list: my introduction to hip-hop came from people like RATM, Deftones, KoRn, Linkin Park, Slipknot working with/mentioning MCs and DJs so I got introduced to Ice Cube, Method Man, Wu-Tang, Cypress Hill, Public Enemy, Xzibit, Beastie Boys. Then just went from there. Think the first hip-hop albums I bought were a Run-DMC best of and the fourth Cypress Hill album.

Last edited by wednesdaysixx on Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
infamous_madbutcher
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:10 am 

GZA-Liquid swords
Canibus-Melatonin Magic
Eminem-Marshall Mathers LP
Big pun-Capital Punishment
Bone Thugs n Harmony-E 99 Eternal

John_Ray
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:17 am 

In this case I can mention, Kendrick Lamar: 'Good Kid, m.A.A.d City' and Mobb Deep: 'The Infamous'

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:46 am 

Public Enemy - Nation/Black Planet (still the two best albums I've heard in the genre)
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Eric B and Rakim - Paid in Full
Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Road to the Riches
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Boogie Down Productions - better on a track-by-track basis
Geto Boys - s/t
Gang Starr - probably work best in comp form but Hard to Earn is maybe my fave
Ice Cube - honestly I'd have to make a comp of the best tracks from the first two because there's too much filler otherwise
KRS-One - Return of the Boom Bap
A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels...
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang
GZA/Genius - Liquid Swords
Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
El-P - Fantastic Damage (I'll Sleep and Cancer 4 Cure are great too)
Run the Jewels - 2 is my favorite I guess, they're all about equal
Aesop Rock - Skelethon/The Impossible Kid (I like Labor Days but I think he's doing his best work right now)

I think that Madvillain is super overrated but I like DOOM's first two solo albums.

I only really opened my mind to hip hop (apart from a couple tracks/groups I liked when I heard them) in the past 4 years or so but there are some gems to be found. I haven't spent a ton of time with either but I'm not much on 2Pac or Eminem. The Dre/Snoop-era stuff was okay but a little stupid. I don't buy into the Kendrick hype THAT much, though I surprisingly liked DAMN. even though listening to something so mainstream-ish makes me feel a bit embarrassed. I thought To Pimp a Butterfly was INCREDIBLY well put together and artistically amazing BUT....I only really liked a few tracks on it. Kanye is super iffy for me but MBDTF is a pretty great art-pop album that unfortunately features Kanye's voice/lyrics.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:34 am 

That's a really interesting hot take on Kendrick! If you don't enjoy his stuff, DEFINITELY don't listen to it, but if you do, there's no reason to be ashamed. I honestly can't believe he became as popular as he is. I guess having a mega hit like Swimming Pools helps, but the vast majority of his stuff is super lyrical and his flow is acrobatic. Most commercially viable hip hop is garbage, but that wasn't always the case. Wu-Tang sold a billion records. There's no shame in loving them.

For me, Kendrick was like a breath of fresh air when I was positive that nothing of quality could earn dollars anymore. I'm PROUD of him for making so much money without compromising his art. If anything he's only gotten weirder over time. I love DAMN., but I also love most of his albums from front to back.

Kendrick and Vince Staples are 2 of the only new cats I'm really rocking hard with. Which is weird because I was never the biggest fan of west coast stuff. That being said, don't sleep on west coast classics like Paris' first 3 albums and "No One Can Do it Better" by The D.O.C.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:48 pm 

Stuff like Swimming Pools just sounds like radio music to me and I developed an allergy to that kind of stuff decades ago lol. I agree that he’s getting better as he goes and that the popularity of an artist with vision like his is only a good thing.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:15 pm 

InnesI wrote:
on a song to song basis I can really appreciate some stuff. The first rap song I liked was probably this:

Yes! If there was more rap like this, I would listen to it. “Gangsta’s Paradise” has a lot of things going for it. It’s musically interesting with the choir samples in the background. It has some religious themes twisted into something morbid, and it has an actual useful message - he’s describing his tough life in the guetto, but *Coolio’s not happy about it and wishes it could be different*.
Sadly this song was followed by an endless stream of arseholes whose songs too often boil down to “look at the wealth my criminal lifestyle has gotten me, even though I’m a no-good thug who can barely read!” :nono:
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:00 pm 

Wow. What a disgusting hot take. I'm not sure what the hip hop equivalent of "leave the hall" is but holy shit.

There is an infinite number of thought-provoking lyricists out there, often with great production featuring choir and orchestra samples! Like all other genres, the stuff that sells is not typically the stuff that is recommended by true fans. Although in the "golden era" 86-94, there were a lot of incredible acts who also managed to make money hand over fist.

Subverter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:41 pm 

Non Phixion - The Future is Now (2002)

Interestingly enough, the frontman Ill Bill used to play in the death metal band Injustice; who opened for the likes of Sepultura, Napalm Death, and Obituary.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:43 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
Yes! If there was more rap like this, I would listen to it. “Gangsta’s Paradise” has a lot of things going for it. It’s musically interesting with the choir samples in the background. It has some religious themes twisted into something morbid, and it has an actual useful message - he’s describing his tough life in the guetto, but *Coolio’s not happy about it and wishes it could be different*.

The main thread I've noticed in the hip-hop stuff I appreciate is when the samples are of the dark, eerie or sad kind. I think Gangsta's Paradise is a good example of that. That melody line is awesome.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4