Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:37 pm 

Porman wrote:
Only one album? It's not hard for me to pick out the single most important vinyl in my collection.

Check Your Head by the Beastie Boys.

I hassled the staff over at the local record store for 2-3 weeks, daily, ever since I got Pass the Mic on American import earlier in April.
That album got played twice. Once when I listened to it for the first time, then when I dubbed it on to a tape. That tape in turn, I listened to daily up until Ill Communication was released two years later.
Except for every other album by the Beastie Boys I really enjoyed these:

N.W.A. - Niggaz4Life
Digital Underground - Sons of the p
2 Live Crew - Live in Concert
Geto Boys - Uncut Dope
The Goats - Tricks of the Shade
Biz Markie - The Biz Never Sleeps
Stetsasonic...
Ah, there's too many to mention!

YAY.Someone else in the world who likes The Goats!
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:10 pm 

Good calls on Aesop Rock and Illogic, guys.

That being said, I mainly find myself listening to Japanese rap these days. Well, for the past few years anyway. Shing02, Gagle, Haiiro De Rossi and Yamao the 12 are probably my favourites among them overall. Shing02, in particular, kicks ridiculous amounts of ass and does so in two languages. His Japanese rap is for most part slightly better than his English work, but he is fluent in English and has interesting and very very good stuff in English, too. He also raps on the "luv sic" -series of Nujabes's - Nujabes was mentioned in this thread a few times too and for no reason! Incidentally, that's some of my favourite rap right there, so instead of a favourite album I'll just drop that in its entirety. Blissful piece.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:18 am 

norcalslayings wrote:
YAY.Someone else in the world who likes The Goats!

Great album! Not a bad track on it, and the interludes are hilarious!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:31 pm 

Just heard a Dalek album for the first time (absence), amazing stuff!

skwid79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:56 pm 

Labor days and Float by Aesop Rock
Fantastic damage by EL-P
Movies For the blind by Cage
Sevens Travels by Atmosphere
Quality Control by Jurassic 5

Theres lots of rap albums I love hard to chose just one.

beeneNOLAdoobie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:55 pm 

UGK - Ridin Dirty http://youtu.be/uu5P4pOUuYk
Blu and Exile - Below the Heavens http://youtu.be/cIhY62SRWXY
J-Live - All of the Above http://youtu.be/amOGnQpYWmM
J-Live - The Best Part http://youtu.be/3EIz0XOKqu0
Gangstarr - Moment of Truth http://youtu.be/3IoPeNC4k_0
Little Brother - The Minstrel Show http://youtu.be/evh78LigqpQ
Devin the Dude - Just tryin ta live http://youtu.be/ZTKXflPq2fU

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:19 pm 

Lil B is possibly my favorite anything of all time. I can't even put it in words what his music means to me and I'm 100000% serious. From him going full retard to him being inspirational as all hell to him bragging about his bitches to him making you feel as if you've entered a realm where everything is made from swag he is so varied and yet at the same time it's all Lil B. I truly believe that anybody who doesn't like Lil B simply doesn't "get it" or is old and mad that nobody cares about Black Moon any more or some dumb shit. There's way more to him than the "Ellen Degeneres"-type songs, which are really just him goofing off, but those seem to be the most well known. AND YES, HE CAN RAP LIKE EVERYBODY EXPECTS A RAPPER TO SOUND. Nobody is fucking with Lil B lyrically. He started all the trends. And we should all thank him.

So yeah, tl;dr: the "Based God" is legendary.

Spaceghostpurrp is also a favorite of mine. Dude might honestly be the best producer out right now. I mean, listen to these. His rapping is alright, but much like Lil B, he's less lyrical and more about giving off a certain vibe.

I also enjoy the usual 90s New York stuff (like everybody) with some others.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:30 pm 

I don't know shit about rap but I like Army of the Pharaohs and Death Grips. In fact can someone recommend some more rawer, abrasive rap?

Thuderclese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:44 pm 

I only own one hip-hip album and that is Kurtis Blow's self titled first album so needless to say that is my favorite rap album. Though I also own Macho Man Randy Savage's album Be A Man, but that's a different story.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:46 pm 

Marag wrote:
I don't know shit about rap but I like Army of the Pharaohs and Death Grips. In fact can someone recommend some more rawer, abrasive rap?

Well, in the same league as Death Grips? No. But, you might really dig Killer Mike - he's arguably the best lyricist in the game right now (in terms of flowing like a goddamn machine).

Just listen to this goddamn beat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8-RmM5py1c

Aggressive as fuck.

You should've also try A$AP Mob's stuff, and you might like Odd Future? Try [urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCbWLSZrZfw]Chum[/url] by Earl, or Domo23 by Tyler

Also, Spaceghost is a goddamn hero, and I make fun of Lil B, but praise be to the BASED GOD for existing, his fucking persona is monstrous.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:03 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Just listen to this goddamn beat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8-RmM5py1c

+1

Killer Mike is badass.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:43 am 

shouvince wrote:
Yeah I'm not sure about that either. I used to listen to Sage Francis but never cited him in my earlier post. Some of his rhymes are good but at times he comes off as terribly pretentious.

...his facebook page will give you an idea of what he's like. being surrounded by fanboys may have made him a bit of a douche.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:45 am 

HellishHound wrote:
Cool man, haha I gotta be more careful I don't wanna make enemies While I'm still a "metal newbie" lol. And Looking back I could have been more clear about it so that's completely my bad.

bah! not enough fighting for a hip-hop thread.

Crip rappers > Blood rappers.

Texas King
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:38 pm 

A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
OutKast - Aquemini
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:33 pm 

UGK - Super Tight
Scarface - The Diary

Both are straight heat.

I think this is pretty cool but I've been to Screwed Up Tapes & Records. I bought Who Next Wit Plex, Codeine Fiend, and Sippin' Codeine.

KomaOvTrollz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:49 pm 

Notorious BIG’s Ready to Die is the best rap album there ever was, is, and ever shall be.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:38 pm 

My all-time favorite is Only Built 4 Cuban Linx. I mostly prefer hardcore east coast shit. Grew up on Wu-Tang and DITC. Hip hop was my first obsession, long before I knew what a riff was.

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:09 am 

I used to think I hated rap until I discovered Bones. His stuff is weird and creepy so naturally I like it. I'd have to say my favorite of his is either Creep or TeenWitch.

I found bones while watching documentaries on columbine. It happened when I was a kid and I was too young to understand what happened at the time so it's been a topic of interest, not trying to be edgy or anything. TeenWitch is based on the events of columbine from several different perspectives. I think it's help me to better process my feelings about the events that sort of took my innocence back then. I don't think we will ever know why people do such fucked up things but music does make me feel better.

Creep is a lot different. It's more traditional rap subject matter but the eerie sound of the music is what I love about it. Bones seems to make use of transitional spaces to make things feel creepy. It's all distorted and edited in ways that make it sound like rapping to a darker version of vapor wave. It's hard to describe his style because I haven't heard rap like his before. (Not saying I know jack shit about rap)

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:31 am 

Not one mention yet for My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West? Thing is a goddamn masterpiece.

One of my more recent favourites is Danny Brown's "Atrocity Exhibition". It came out in autumn of 2016, and I still haven't gotten sick of it, and it's been on heavy rotation since.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:48 pm 

Eric B. & Rakim- Don't Sweat The Technique

jimbies wrote:
Not one mention yet for My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West?

I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:59 am 

KomaOvTrollz wrote:
Notorious BIG’s Ready to Die is the best rap album there ever was, is, and ever shall be.

This.

Also:

DMX-Flesh Of My Flesh
2Pac- Killumnati and All Eyez On Me
Atmosphere-God Loves Ugly
Westside Connection-Bow Down
NWA-Straight Outta Compton

Last FM

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:46 pm 

Hmm, this was really hard but my two favorites are a tie between De la Soul's buhloone mind state and Stakes is high. Two of the best albums of the nineties right there!

Runner ups and therefor honorable mentions have to be Cypress Hills self titled debut for introducing me to hip hop when I was about 5 and for DJ Mugz' pretty unique way of sampling, Busta Rhymes' The coming and last but not least, Kendrick Lamar's To pimp a butterfly which I think is the best album released this decade. The fact that it, although with an assortment of other artists, tracks and albums have helped to establish a trend in which lyrics in general are having much more of a say in hip hop in general as opposed to all the standard "bitches and hoes" tripe that have made a lot of hip hop redundant to some degree. and not in the get as many words as possible to rhyme", but lyrics that try to tell something is refreshing to say the least. And then I haven't even touched the fact that it has insanely good beats! One of the few modern albums I can listen to and love just as much when I turn old I think.

These names sound like you just made them up lol...I'll tell my kids these were the names of the three wise men.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:25 am 

Dr. Octagonecologyst is the only rap I could ever really get into.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:32 pm 

It's hard to choose just one because of all the different styles.

Yelawolf - Trunk Musik 0-60
Da Mafia 6ix - Da 6ix Commandments
Three 6 Mafia - Mystic Stylez
Bonethugs N Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal
Pastor Troy - Feel me or Kill Me
Madchild - Dopesick
Shing02 - 400 [RVL]
Jedi Mindtricks - The Thief and the Fallen
Blaze ya Dead Homie - Coffin Factory

Black/Doom label and distro(all metal genres)
http://www.temptationsofresonance.com

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:11 pm 

Bloodhound Gang - One Fierce Beer Coaster (if it counts, it's about 60% rap)

Some other favourites:

Group X - 40 Oz. Slushie
Onyx - All We Got Iz Us
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Dam Native - Kaupapa Driven Rhymes Uplifted
Fu-Schnickens - Nervous Breakdown
Ultramagnetic MC's - Critical Beatdown

Texas King
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:34 am 

I forgot to add Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back. Killer album.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:41 am 

Outkast - ATLiens
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Danny Brown - XXX
MF Doom - Mm Food
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid m.a.a.d. city
Ab Soul - Do What Thou Wilt
Vince Staples - Summertime '06
Childish Gambino - Because the Internet

I think those'd be my favourites. I guess y'all way more oldschool than me.

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:57 pm 

Marag wrote:

You might have come across clppng. if you dig the Grips. their rapper is as fast as Em but introspective.

Generally getting into Curren$y will not disappoint at all. His Pilot Talk trilogy is goat tier from a goat rapper who considers himself an "audio dope pusher", haha. The best weed rapper (weed references and usage or not) even though that should not put you off.
My recs for him would be
-Covert Coup ft Alchemist on production
-Pilot Talk III
-Pilot Talk II
-Pilot Talk
-Stoned on Ocean EP
-Carrollton Heist ft Alchemist on production (an acquired taste, but once you're past that you'll appreciate the art of sampling in rap and thank the gods for this tape)
-Cigarette Boats ft Harry Fraud on production

Anything by Bones!!

Also Deltron 3030 self titled i bump from start to finish on repeat without skipping a single song. they kinda failed to match that up but they still released great shit.

And finally a trap album that amazed me, Lecrae ft Zaytoven (best trap producer in the world) on Let the Trap Say Amen. Really solid for a gospel rapper without being corny if you know what am saying.

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:05 pm 

RakdosWarlord wrote:
I used to think I hated rap until I discovered Bones. His stuff is weird and creepy so naturally I like it. I'd have to say my favorite of his is either Creep or TeenWitch.

I found bones while watching documentaries on columbine. It happened when I was a kid and I was too young to understand what happened at the time so it's been a topic of interest, not trying to be edgy or anything. TeenWitch is based on the events of columbine from several different perspectives. I think it's help me to better process my feelings about the events that sort of took my innocence back then. I don't think we will ever know why people do such fucked up things but music does make me feel better.

Creep is a lot different. It's more traditional rap subject matter but the eerie sound of the music is what I love about it. Bones seems to make use of transitional spaces to make things feel creepy. It's all distorted and edited in ways that make it sound like rapping to a darker version of vapor wave. It's hard to describe his style because I haven't heard rap like his before. (Not saying I know jack shit about rap)

Bones is one of the godfathers of the metal/rap hybrids like Ghostemane that are currently blowing up
He is trap, cloud rap, emotional rap and all in-between. W̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶r̶a̶p̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶k̶e̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶f̶l̶u̶e̶n̶c̶e̶r̶.

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:51 pm 

retards attempting poetry

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... g%20Poetry

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:14 pm 

these are my current favorites (a couple fairly newish things but mostly stuff I've enjoyed for years)

Tyler, the Creator - Flower Boy
Earl Sweatshirt - Doris
Outkast - ATLiens
MF DOOM - Operation Doomsday
Sage Francis - Human the Death Dance
Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol. 1
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
Aesop Rock - Float

Aldrahn333 wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:02 am 

I have been on record multiple times saying I don't really fuck with nowadays rappers but there are a few. Most recently I've become enamored with Vince Staples.

Intelligent gang banging, clever storytelling, wild beats, and one of those classic weird California voices. Would recommend the song Screen Door to sample his style.

Also just recently started listened to Cyhi the Prince. His album No Dope On Sundays is really hitting me in the gut in the best way. He has a very street-oriented style but his flows and wordplay are cooler than a polar bears toenails.

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:31 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
[...] cooler than a polar bears toenails.

You on some Curren$y diet? The only Staples I ever sampled didn't sell him to me as much as I had expected though he go hard in the features.
LycanthropeMoon wrote:
MF DOOM - Operation Doomsday

Lol, I stole my name from Metal and MF DOOM.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:38 pm 

Did Curren$y borrow that line from Big Boi? Cause Outkast is who I stole it from lol. Never actually heard a Curren$y song. ("Colder than a polar bears toenails/oh hell, there he go again..." Its from So Fresh So Clean)

If you wanna hear Vince go OFF, check the song Screen Door. If you've already decided he's not for you that's cool though, I'm not getting any percentage on his sales. :lol:

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:02 pm 

I took a quick look on the cover art albums in the first page and... are people trolling or rap album covers are usually this bad?

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:42 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Did Curren$y borrow that line from Big Boi?

Must be true then, check this link out, lmao. Plus others I've heard. He does spin them at times at least.
Edit: He has that line on a track called Inspiration ft. Action Bronson. From the goodness of his features, I think I've been sleeping on Vince for long.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:33 pm 

Wow that's actually suuuuper embarrassing. Holy shit. It's okay to just straight up borrow a line here or there in tribure but this list is kinda crazy. He's borrowing entire stanzas and choruses. Glad I've never heard his music lol.

Seeing Vince Staples act silly on YouTube and then rip a fucking diabolical verse is what pulled me in originally. I would recommend the album Hell Can Wait. My favorite of his by a mile so far.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:32 am 

I don't fuck with hip hop too much, but here's some of my favorites:

JPEGMAFIA - Veteran
Kanye West - The Life Of Pablo/Yeezus
Clipping. - CLPPNG
Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs

I have some more, but they're in Danish. So yeah, I like the weirder stuff the genre have to offer artists like Divine Styler and Bedwetter is great/interesting too.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:44 pm 

I couldn't say, much like I couldn't say my all time metal album, but here's a few (mixtapes also included):

A$AP Rocky- LiveLoveA$AP
OFWGKTA-Odd Future Tape Vol. 2
$uicideboy$-Dark Side of the Clouds
Dr. Dre- 2001
Lil Xan- Xanarchy
Travi$ Scott- Days Before Rodeo
Playboi Carti-Self-Titled (couldn't find the whole mixtape, this vid will suffice)
Waka Flocka- Flockaveli
Eminem- The Eminem Show
Tyler, the Creator- Goblin
Isaiah Rashad- The Sun's Tirade
Isaiah Rashad- Cilvia
Kendrick Lamar-To Pimp a Butterfly
Danny Brown-XXX

I put more on than a thought I would, and I didn't put everything. But that's a good start.

iiix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:22 pm 

Gunna skip naming any of the Five-Mics, that whole list is worth listening to if you somehow aren't familiar

Cali Life Style - Mexican Invasion
Triple Six Mafia - Smoked Out Loced Out (I don't recommend it to anyone unless you're really into raw hip hop, don't expect anything like Mystic Styles)
Facemob - The Other Side of the Law
Digable Planets - Blowout Comb
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - The Art of War
Ghostface Killah - Ironman, Fishscales
Devin the Dude - The Dude, To Tha X-treme
Too $hort - Shorty the Pimp
Quasimoto - The Unseen
Brotha Lynch Hung - Season Of Da Siccness
Freddie Gibbs - Pinata, Baby Face Killa
Lil Ugly Mane - Mista Thug Isolation

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next