Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:27 am 

It so happens that I'm going to Gothenburg in a week or so. I'll be staying for 3 or 4 days.

Is there anything worth checking out? Museums, record shops, cool areas of town, anything really. Any help is appreciated as I'm mostly completely unfamiliar with the city.

Thanks!

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:08 pm 

http://restaurant2112.com/

...and whatever you do, don't mention that you're danish! :p

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:05 am 

Its been a couple years since I've been, but...

-Get a Goteborg CityPass as long as it isn't a big budget issue. Comes with public transport and entry to pretty much all the major museums, gardens, and entry to the amusement park (though no ride wristband).

-If your schedule allows, get on a boat and take a ride to one of the islands in the archipelago. There's several of them and boats in summer leave quite frequently. I went in September, and they much more rarely went.

-Canal rides are fun there. There's a bridge with hilariously low clearance before you end up in the main harbor.

-City Museum of Gothenburg is quite nice.

-Trädgårdsföreningen is a nice park space. After 4 or 5 PM it becomes free to enter IIRC, should you be on a really tight budget. Of course, some of the things inside like the conservatory will be closed at that time,

-Universeum is a pretty swell science museum/center sorta place but I can see it not being a huge value to some. Same with the amusement park next door (Liseberg) which is also very good for what it is.

-There's a building along the harborfront nicknamed the lipstick building. It's pretty obvious which one it is. They do have an observation deck you can poke around.

-The Martitime Museum in the harbor is quite good. If you have an interest in boats or military history, its worth a perusal.

-I stayed in downtown at the Hotel Avalon when I was there, which is pretty deluxe and cushy, and that meant I was very conveniently located to the food market. I could watch people in the café from my stepout balcony. Anthony Bourdain can be a pretentious dick at times, but he's not wrong about the value of the central urban food market. It is fairly recently renovated. I know, because they were doing the work when I was there in 2010!

I hope that helps.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:42 am 

Thanks, I will definitely check out some of those things!
If anyone else has anything to suggest I'd be thankful. 3 days isn't a very long time, but I want to make the most of it.

Reply to topic