Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkentries
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:20 am 

is anyone here into prog or kraut rock or early electronic.
Ime almost as much of a fan of prog as I am metal
bands like:
VDGG
eloy
grobschnitt
Klaus schulze
mona lisa
ange
peter hammill
pink Floyd
heldon
king crimson
yes
genesis
camel
nectar
soft machine
and many many more
Ime listening to heaps of French prog at the moment,its very obscure and underrated

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:41 am 

Well, I'm just getting into space rock like Hawkwind.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:09 am 

I consider myself a fan of both progressive rock and kraut rock. I mostly listen to these:
Spock's Beard (I absolutely adore their newest album, Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep. They sound a lot like a more symphonic Rush, and it works so well. Brilliant songwriting right there)
Rush (Actually got into them through Clockwork Angels from 2012. Great album)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer (Brain Salad Surgery! Need I say more?)
King Crimson
Can
Kraftwerk
Uriah Heep
Flower Travellin' Band (early 70's Japanese hard rock band with a few prog elements)
Hawkwind
Tangerine Dream
Magma (Weird french band. Originators of the Zeuhl subgenre. Very concept oriented)
Astra (Some of the best space rock every. Definitely check out The Black Chord album)
The Budos Band (not a prog band per se, but they have a rather special take on funk rock)
Alan Parsons Project
Ozric Tentacles (Probably some of the more weird prog rock out there... Mainly instrumental music, and it's greeeat)
Goblin (that Italian band that made the music for Suspiria)
Yes
Early Deep Purple
Crippled Black Phoenix (more post-rock than prog rock, but I think they still count)
Amon Düül II
Van Der Graaf Generator
November (70's hard rock from Sweden with proggy tendencies)
Bloodrock (another 70's hard rock band with proggy tendencies)
Rick Wakeman (from Yes. Brilliant keyboard/piano/organ/synth player that one)

I never really got into bands like Faust, Guru Guru, Procol Harum, Gentle Giant, Caravan, ELO, Genesis, Marillion and oddly enough Pink Floyd.

I'd write more in-depth stuff, but I gotta go to work now... See you later!!

darkentries
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:13 am 

flower travelling band are great also amon duul
tangerine dream,hawkwind,wallenstein,jane,art zoyd,magma,richard pinhas so many more....
went to the goblin concert a few months ago it was awesome

darkentries
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:15 am 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:

try flower travelling band and Omega these are 2 great space rock bands

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:30 am 

Yes' debut album is probably one of my top 5 of all time!

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:20 pm 

darkentries wrote:
Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:

I'm not sure I follow your sentiment that Flower Travellin' Band are space rock. To me they don't sound spacey at all...
Now Astra, there's space rock for ya! They've often been compared to Pink Floyd, but I think they have way more depth and more interesting song structures and melodies.
Check out the album The Black Chord, it's flawless!
Here's the track Quake Meat. Beautifully woven guitars and synths, everything just comes together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWiBTnGoGM8

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:31 pm 

I'm a Rush fanboy, and I pretty much love lots of Prog.
Camel is pretty fucking awesome, I like some Styx and Yes albums, King Crimson had some decent albums, etc. So I like some of the big names, and a few obscure ones.

I can also say I'm not big on ELP. I like my prog to be guitar-centric more than not, and they seem to lack that.
What the hell is Kraut Rock?
I also haven't really checked out Uriah Heep, though in theory I would like them. What would be the best few albums to start with?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:39 pm 

Well, I am really on and off when it comes to Prog, I either like it or hate it. I like Rush and Pink Floyd, but I can't stand King Crimson!

Really been intro more modern stuff in the later years, Mars Volta is among them. Anyone know any good recent bands?

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:47 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
I'm a Rush fanboy, and I pretty much love lots of Prog.
Camel is pretty fucking awesome, I like some Styx and Yes albums, King Crimson had some decent albums, etc. So I like some of the big names, and a few obscure ones.

I can also say I'm not big on ELP. I like my prog to be guitar-centric more than not, and they seem to lack that.
What the hell is Kraut Rock?
I also haven't really checked out Uriah Heep, though in theory I would like them. What would be the best few albums to start with?

Krautrock is a branch of influential German rock bands from the 70's mostly centered around psychedelic rock, progressive rock and early electronica. Well known bands and groups include Faust, Can, Guru Guru, Amon Düül II, Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk and Ash Ra Temple. If you're looking to get into kraut rock I'd recommend the Ash Ra Temple album "Schwingungen", on which are three tracks that more or less completely encompass the essence of kraut rock.

Also I'd recommend checking out Uriah Heep. They have a pretty heavy, noisy and raw guitar tone for their time and have had a lot of impact on the metal scene. You should probably start out with their debut "Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble" from 1970 which has some awesome organ work and really memorable guitar riffs (like the ones in Gypsy)

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:54 pm 

693 wrote:
Well, I am really on and off when it comes to Prog, I either like it or hate it. I like Rush and Pink Floyd, but I can't stand King Crimson!

Really been intro more modern stuff in the later years, Mars Volta is among them. Anyone know any good recent bands?

Since you mentioned it's either hit or miss with prog for you I think you will either despise or love Spock's Beard. There's really no middle ground with them. Their newest album is a symphonic prog rock monster of an album, and I think the main strongpoints for them are their memorable choruses, thrumming basslines and modern synth work. Their weakest points are probably the lead singer's vocals as they take a lot of getting used to. But if you like Rush I'd imagine you won't have a problem with that. They actually sound a lot like Rush, only with much more keyboard work.

Check it!
Spock's Beard - A Treasure Abandoned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r77rz_v93-s

darkentries
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:28 pm 

I never was able to get into the newer prog bands as most of the greats from the 70s went downhill in the 80s and the newer bands were never able to capture the essence of the 70s awesomeness.
And I really cant stand progressive metal ie opeth,mastadon,dream theatre,but I do like fates warning,voivod,rush,iron maiden,therion,which I guess could be classified as progressive metal.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:59 pm 

I'm very much into prog rock and metal overall, though mostly rather more modern bands, I admit I do have some gaps that require fixing regarding more classic bands on the matter.

The line between rock and metal here is pretty blurry I guess, but you can probably count me as one of the people who consider Steven Wilson the demigod of modern prog, sort of. I generally love stuff which places atmosphere above everything else.

Colerne
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:50 pm 

How about Gong and Mahavishnu Orchestra... kind of proggy, and really weird and good :)

It was prog that led me into metal, and I'm still a massive fan of Pink Floyd, King Crimson, and others. Actually I'd probably consider The Mars Volta's De-Loused in the Comatorium my favourite album ever.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:48 pm 

It's funny, I never got that into progressive rock as a whole as it was largely quite hit or miss for me. But I always REALLY liked Yes for some reason. I was listening to them just the other day for the first time in a long while. Great band all around- even their poppier 80's Trever Rabin era stuff still sounds good to me.

Anyone ever heard Steve Howe's pre-Yes band Tomorrow? Another good band worth checking out, although Tomorrow were more late-60's hard rock than anything Prog. Pretty much every band that guy has been in has been really, really good. For what it's worth.

Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:40 am 

darkentries wrote:
is anyone here into prog or kraut rock or early electronic.
Ime almost as much of a fan of prog as I am metal
bands like:
VDGG
eloy
grobschnitt
Klaus schulze
mona lisa
ange
peter hammill
pink Floyd
heldon
king crimson
yes
genesis
camel
nectar
soft machine
and many many more
Ime listening to heaps of French prog at the moment,its very obscure and underrated

I don't like prog rock much per se but that early German electronica has always been some of my favorite music - Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, Ash Ra Tempel, Brian Eno(yeah I know he's not German), Cluster etc.

Anyone with astute ears should see the huge influence its had on black metal, as well as subsequent experimental groups like Coil, Swans and Godspeed You Black Emperor.

Know of any other music I should check out that is in that vein?

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:48 am 

Damn. Clear Blue Sky's self-titled album is really good. Anyone who likes prog rock owes it to themselves to hear it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTm8FfAoEp4

qTp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:10 am 

Italian/symphonic prog rock anyone?

Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Darwin (1972)
Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso (1972)
Metamorfosi - Inferno (1973)
Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) - Storia Di Un Minuto (1972)
Il Rovescio Della Medaglia - Contaminazione (1973)
Osanna - Palepoli (1973)
Alphataurus - Alphataurus (1973)
Locanda Delle Fate - Forse Le Lucciole Non Si Amano Più (1977)
Le Orme - Felona E Sorona (1973)
Quella Vecchia Locanda - Il Tempo Della Gioia (1974)
Museo Rosenbach - Zarathustra (1973)
Balletto Di Bronzo - Ys (1972)

Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:30 am 

I must admit, that the overall sound of Italian prog doesn't really impress me, don't ask why. Perhaps there is something a bit... too modest in it, more than there should be. Or perhaps the fact that to me, the bands sound awfully similar?

Anyhow, I still enjoy some Rock Progressive Italiano bands. Premiata Forneria Marconi ja Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso have some enjoyable albums, like the ones you linked and Per Un Amico. Then there's Jacula and Picchio dal Pozzo, who both aren't really in vein of the stuff you mentioned, but they are Italian anyhow, so I think they deserve a mention, especially the wonderful and playful eponymous debut of PdP. I suppose quite a few metalheads know Jacula nowadays? (They surely deserve a bit more recognition, even though they may not have been entirely honest with their album release dates.)

The pinnacle of Italian prog rock for me is Museo Rosenbach, which I'm glad you already mentioned. Damn catchy stuff there, a good place to start ones RPI adventure. I heard they released a new album this year, wonder if it's any good?

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:45 am 

We've done this here before. It seldom lasts beyond a few pages for some reason but I hope this one keeps goign for a bit. yes, I listen to a lot of 70s progressive rock of various kinds and some newer stuff. I love krautrock as I find that scene to be the most adventurous and experimetnal and certainly one of the most forward thinking "collectives" (if you can call it that) in music generally. At this time Gentle Giant is probably the English prog band I listen to most, followed by King Crimson. Love the Scottish band Beggars' Opera as well..some really fantastic organ work there and guitars that ocasionally make it all as heavy as Deep Purple. I'm a big Hawkwind fan and although I don't actually find them progressive in the usual sense they almost seem to have a krautrock mentality at times in that they're not necessarily too worried about being great musicians, but instead making big, mind-expanding music and trying stuff just to see if it'll work.

Cool to see Magma mentioned so early on..they are one of the most out-there, maddest bands on the planet and I love them. Magma fans should do yourselves a favour and check out Eskaton as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFFoXiKRtI4
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

JT Rager
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:23 am 

^ I'm not going to look because my connection is crap, but the last topic lasted at least 15 pages.

In any case, huge fan of "teh prauge". Used to frequent progarchives a lot. I think it got me into the avant-garde stuff, as well as weird stuff like King Crimson and Gentle Giant a lot more than I would have otherwise. And Zappa. Lots of Zappa.

-Tracie Harris

Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:55 am 

Gentle Giant is also a favourite of mine. All their albums from Acquiring the Taste to Free Hand are prog rock masterpieces, the debut and Interview being "just awesome". I wouldn't recommend post-Interview albums to anyone, they literally broke my heart, and I'm not the kind of person who instantly disses bands for taking a different or more simple approach, no way. But if GG made only one good song during that era (yes, Memories of Old Days), it's hardly worth it.

But, if we just ignore the latter, inane and soulless output and concentrate on the "golden era", Gentle Giant was at the top of their game. They were able to be atmospheric, catchy, complex, serious and playful at the same time. Be it the moody pieces like Moon Is Down, medievalish acoustic pieces in the vein of Raconteur, Trubadour, jazzy prog rockers like Proclamation or beautiful tearjerkers (Think of Me With Kindness), they always sounded fabulous and never out-of-place, or awkward. Never. It's also worth noting, that Gentle Giant didn't need to compose sidelong epics to sound epic, nor did they have to stuff thirteen songs on one album in the name of versatility. The approximate duration of a Gentle Giant album was like 35 minutes, and that was more than enough to convince one of their talent. For me, the best album of theirs is the good ol' "Octopus", which incidentally was my first GG album. A must hear for every prog fan.

Oh, and just for the record, my Fantastic Four of prog is Jethro Tull (Best. Band. Ever.), Frank Zappa, Gentle Giant and Van der Graaf Generator. Feel free to argue about that!

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:13 pm 

I was always a big fan of prog rock but for some reason I never checked out a lot of classic big names like Camel, Magma, Genesis, Yes, ELP, so I should probably do that.. Does anybody know of some riffy prog with tons of solos ala Wishbone Ash "Argus"?

Here's a favorite of mine, although it might cross more into psychedelic rock than progressive. But I just can't say no to those indulgent guitar solos!
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

darkentries
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:00 am 

everybody here seems to know of the german,english and Italian bands but a country that is very
much overlooked when it comes to prog is "france".Some of my favourite bands are French,please check them out
ie: Ange,mona lisa,moving gelatine plates,ange patch,clearlight,heldon,richard pinhas,catherine ribeiro,magma,supersister,dun,art zoyd,thierry fervent,shub niggurath,saga de ragnar lodbrock,chene noir,gong,lard free,pulsar,

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:07 pm 

darkentries wrote:
Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:

There are no substitutes for the mighty Hawkwind!!..(the 1970's era at least). One of my favorite bands of all time. Space Rock is what they are and although they sometimes get labeled as progressive rock for obvious reasons, I am not sure that the latter categorization completely describes their music either which might be why they never succeeded in latching onto any one genre fan base or any real success at all for that matter; too punkish for prog fan, too prog for punk fan, too dirty sounding for The New Wave, much too heavy or avant-garde for the classic hard rock fans and yet were too rock-ish and "spacey" for the heavy metal crowd (more known as Lemmy's ex-band before Motorhead). Bikers seemed to dig them.

darkentries
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:39 pm 

I love hawkwind to,70s era is the best by far but don't forget the classic "chronicle of the black sword"album from 1986

Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:27 pm 

darkentries wrote:
everybody here seems to know of the german,english and Italian bands but a country that is very
much overlooked when it comes to prog is "france".Some of my favourite bands are French,please check them out
ie: Ange,mona lisa,moving gelatine plates,ange patch,clearlight,heldon,richard pinhas,catherine ribeiro,magma,supersister,dun,art zoyd,thierry fervent,shub niggurath,saga de ragnar lodbrock,chene noir,gong,lard free,pulsar,

I've heard MGP, Magma, Supersister, Dün, Shub-Niggurath and Gong. All quality stuff, MGP playing nice Zappa-ish jazz (Uncle Meat springs to mind, as well as Hot Rats), Magma, Dün and Shub-Niggurath being exquisite zeuhl and Supersister & Gong creating most peculiar mental images with their Canterbury scene sound and jams. Magma and Shub-Niggurath are probably my favourite French non-metal bands, it's pretty challenging to find stuff that is both fucked up, scary and beautiful in the way those 2 are. I haven't delved too deeply into Zeuhl territory, I must admit. Besides the aforementioned bands, I know Eskaton and Eider Stellaire, which are both very competent; I just haven't had the time to check them out more properly. Fortunately, I'm not out of time yet.

Other than those, I wholeheartedly recommend THIS to all ye "French prog" lovers.

Therizinosaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:34 am 

I love prog (considering that 1) it's how I got into metal in the first place, and 2) my favorite band is Jethro Tull), but unfortunately I don't listen to it as much as I would like to. Besides Jethro Tull, the bands I listen to include Yes, Audience, Genesis, Marillion, Frank Zappa, Uriah Heep, Pink Floyd, Camel, Univers Zero, Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, The Moody Blues, King Crimson, Wishbone Ash and (debateably) The Velvet Underground, Queen and Led Zeppelin.

Gastjale wrote:
Oh, and just for the record, my Fantastic Four of prog is Jethro Tull (Best. Band. Ever.)

THANK YOU!!!! :D

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:30 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
Here's a favorite of mine, although it might cross more into psychedelic rock than progressive. But I just can't say no to those indulgent guitar solos!

:drool:

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:39 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
I'm a big Hawkwind fan and although I don't actually find them progressive in the usual sense they almost seem to have a krautrock mentality at times in that they're not necessarily too worried about being great musicians, but instead making big, mind-expanding music and trying stuff just to see if it'll work.

That's a pretty good summation of the band for the uninitiated. In a word: experimental. They are certainly cut from a whole different cloth altogether. Their single Silver Machine is something of a forgotten hit. It's a song I strongly dislike however as it was nothing more than a packaged up, verse-chorus bastardization of their sound at that time for the pop charts. I could talk about Hawkwind all day.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:28 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FATe8MpEpO4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_i7vfsMbJo

Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:28 am 

Both albums are great, Conservationism. Greenslade's eponymous is definitely worth checking out, if one likes Bedside Manners. Also, while that Aphrodite's Child album is a worthy album, it's saddening to listen to their other albums. They are nothing like "666", and while I usually tend to like more pop/rock-ish side of prog bands (often, their debuts), their first album and sophomore make me flinch. In a bad way.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:30 pm 

I really, really love Hackett-era Genesis, and Kaipa after the comeback. They are easily in my top 20 favourite bands. I haven't found anything else I like though. Trans-Atlantic is okay, but that's it.
I don't really know what it is that sets them apart either. They have a seriousness and a sort of morose darkness about them.

So if anyone could recommend me something I'd be happy.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:26 pm 

You make good sense.

darkentries wrote:
I never was able to get into the newer prog bands as most of the greats from the 70s went downhill in the 80s and the newer bands were never able to capture the essence of the 70s awesomeness.

It's odd how frequently we see this pattern.

Prog bloomed in the 1970s; now, it's not quite the same, or nearly as good, no matter how many times people try to convince us it is.

What happened to jazz after the 1960s?

Reggae seems in dormancy.

But dubstep is rising!!1!

darkentries wrote:
And I really cant stand progressive metal ie opeth,mastadon,dream theatre,but I do like fates warning,voivod,rush,iron maiden,therion,which I guess could be classified as progressive metal.

Most progressive metal isn't about anything; it's little musical puzzles with a cool riff in the middle, but it doesn't hold together and so it's like listening to really intense guitar practice for a few minutes, then you go do something else.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:26 pm 

Gastjale wrote:
They are nothing like "666", and while I usually tend to like more pop/rock-ish side of prog bands (often, their debuts), their first album and sophomore make me flinch. In a bad way.

There's some truth to that... the flinching part especially. They leave me unsettled as well.

ibthecrusher
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:24 pm 

Just trying to give this thread a little bump, as I'm starting to really dig prog rock (especially after seeing Rush live recently), and am really open to suggestions.

I saw Kraftwerk mentioned in "Kraut Rock". I was unfamiliar with them being anything other than a decent early electronica act. I'll have to dig deeper.

Riverside or Sieges Even, anybody? I'm not sure if that would count more on the metal side of things. There seems to be a slight grey area with heavier prog rock and lighter progressive metal. I'll admit that my prog rock repertoire is lacking, and a lot of it comes from enjoying post/avant garde/progressive metal and then going to the lighter, more atmospheric side. I also saw Spock's Beard and Gentle Giant brought up in this thread earlier, which makes me smile. And I'm assuming most people who claim to like prog rock have at least heard of Porcupine Tree? How do people feel about more emo-ish prog like 3? Dare I bring up
Spoiler: show
Coheed and Cambria
on a metal site?

Enthroned3112
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:15 pm 

I definitely love everything that might be called progressive. Progressive to me are great bands like Opeth, Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, the first 2, 3 Yes-albums, early Genesis (when Peter Gabriel used to sing), Änglagard, Anekdoten, Flower Kings, Sigur Ros, Steven Wilson solo, Camel, Hawkwind, Ozric Tentacles, IQ ... even progressive black metal like late Emperor, Ihsahn...

Enthroned3112
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:17 pm 

ibthecrusher wrote:
Riverside or Sieges Even, anybody?

Riverside is one of my favourite bands, the lyrics of the first three albums even kind of reflect my own personality or rather, feelings I sometimes have...
And I love the last 2 Sieges Even albums. :) Fantastic sound, beautiful guitars!

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:32 pm 

ibthecrusher wrote:

Spoiler: show
Coheed and Cambria
on a metal site?

Nothing wrong with coheed and cambria. I wouldn't say they are emoish, plus I haven't seen any metalheads bash them. Even if they did, they are still good band.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:16 pm 

Definitely a big fan of Can. Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi are killer albums.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next