Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:50 pm 

Hey dude ^. Sorry I can't answer your Illinois-specific questions but I can definitely relate to the rest of your post. I was a transfer student myself and went to a school that had some people from high school that I was vaguely friends with, but it wound up being sort of similar because there's another nearby college (the University of Maryland) where a shitload of old highschool people went and that had a much bigger party scene, so loads of people from my 4-year school went there for the parties. I didn't really want to go to a bunch of fratbro parties with sucky people from high school, either.

I wound up living in dorms with a bunch of freshmen for a semester through a fluke in the housing system and it actually wound up being pretty great. I became good friends with lots of people on my floor, met a nice girl, drank a bunch, etc etc. However, the school also had a shitload of things specifically aimed at transfer students. I went to a couple early on but stopped going once I made friends with the people living in my dorm. If I was in an apartment or something, those transfer student things would've been a good way to meet a lot of people in similar situations with similar interests, I think. Your school probably has similar programs.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:51 pm 

Depending on the type of degree you're doing I have some advice; technical sciencey degree.

Don't worry about grades too much, pass the subjects you hate and forget about them but find your niché and focus on that. If you don't find any niché worth exploring it's time to rethink your degree and career path. I did computer science and got a 2.2 which is as average as you could get, nothing to write about. Plenty of scraped passes but I got seriously high marks in certain programming based modules and now I have a kickass well payed job where I can surf the net and listen to death metal while I work :-D I missed plenty of assignments here and there and didn't bother with class in certain subjects, sure I could have gotten higher marks if I cared but alls well that ends well and I couldn't have found a better job. The most important thing to do is to find your niché though and at least do one year of the degree to make sure it's for you.

Arts and cultural degrees;

Drop out and go for a technical sciencey degree :lol: I kid but I have no experience with these kinds of degrees.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:06 pm 

DO NOT ASK PEOPLE TO BUY YOU BEER. IT IS VERY ANNOYING. I AM 21, I KNOW THE PAIN.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:58 am 

Just try not to get your gf pregnant and you'll be fine... :lol:

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:26 am 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
Just try not to get your gf pregnant and you'll be fine... :lol:

This. Even in this day and age in first world countries, the amount of accidental pregnancies is incredible :durr:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2