Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Reinarsson
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:07 am 

Hi. After my previous band split up, I've been left, as a song writer, with some unreleased material. A year later, I decided to record few of the songs on my own, just for fun. I was curious how would it sound. Result was not bad, but clearly home-made quality. Two years later I was messing around in FL Studio and I tried a plugin for drums and a plugin for guitars. The sound was pretty good and I decided to record more stuff. Now I have a total of 9 songs ticking at nearly 35 minutes. Songs I write are perfectly enjoyable as instrumentals, but I'd like some singing in them. Sadly, I am good neither at singing, nor writing the lyrics. I talked to the singer from the previous band and he said he could maybe record the vocals for me, but I still need the texts.

The album is a conceptual one. It's about a holy war in a fantasy world I am creating as a hobby. Most songs are therefore about combat and similar stuff: naval battle, siege of a town, political drama etc. I need lyrics for 6 songs (maybe 7, not sure about the intro track) in a setting somewhat similar to 11th century Mediterranean. While the topic of each song is already given, the writer will have some freedom to alter the atmosphere of it. Also, I am open to discussion. I know artists need some space.

What I would like to achieve is to have lyrics similar to Caladan Brood's Echoes of Battle or Lemuria's Chanson de la Croisade. These two albums are my major inspirations. The former has probably the best possible adaptation of the atmosphere in the Malazan books, which are epic in themselves, while the latter has managed to turn songs into audiovisual experience, because when I close my eyes while listening to it, I am basically watching a movie.

I plan to release the album for free, so don't expect any money from it, only a mention. What I can offer is a potential collaboration. This is definitely not the last release from me, I still have like 200 unfinished Guitar Pro tabs. Something will surely come from them.

If you are interested, let me know. I can send you some previews of the songs.

---------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: I am no longer looking for a lyricist, that's done, thanks to Gameofmetal. Now I am looking for a vocalist or two, since the guys I previously had for the job have all let me down. Lazy SOBs, always making excuses. I've already tried several people and it usually is "oh, that's cool, I will do it", a month later it's "sorry, haven't looked into it yet", few months later it's "yeah well I don't have much time nowdays".

So, the instruments are recorded, lyrics are written, all I need is an able and committed guy who knows how to growl a bit. Or two guys. Since a lot of the songs have two points of view or a dialogue between two people, two different voices are desired, but it's not a necessity.
What kind of voice am I looking for? Not too deep, not too screamy, good pronunciation (recognizable words). Think of bands like Lemuria, Ensiferum, Finntroll, Dark Tranquillity, Thyrfing or Wintersun, to name a few.
I can give you guitar pro tabs of the songs, I can prepare a midi track of the vocals, I can make a text2speech track with correct timing. I will do everything in my power to make it easy for you to get into it and do your job well. And if I really like it, I might even give you some money (a symbolic sum).
Interested? Check the preview tracks. Want to help a fellow musician, to make his dream come true? First I want to hear your samples, then we can talk. Message me here, send me an email or hit me on Discord (Reinar#7668).

Last edited by Reinarsson on Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reinarsson
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:25 am 

I've decided to make a simple preview page with the 6 tracks in need of lyrics. It's accessible to anyone, the finished album will be free after all. Keep in mind it's waiting for a round of mixing and mastering with the vocals.

Gameofmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:35 pm 

Curious why you need a lyricist when it seems like you already have an idea for the broad themes of the lyrics. I get that you have to get into the headspace of a lyricist a little, but that seems easier than having to convey to someone else the story like verbally for them to write them lyrically and then give those lyrics to a vocalist lol

Reinarsson
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:23 am 

First, English is not my native language. And while it's not on an Indian IT support level, I am not confident that I'll write it in a sufficiently lyrical / poetical manner. Second, each time I try to write something, I tend to look too much for rhymes and it usually ends in awkward stuff. That's why I am trying to look for someone else. There's a proverb: you don't pay for asking. So that's what I did. In gaming industry, for example, it's quite common: the designer has a vision and the writer does the actual job. Because the writer is good at writing, while the designer is good at design. And I don't want the lyrics to be on a yolo-viking-metal level of "Rawrrr, swords, blood, pain, raaawr, valhalla, odin, death!" (Now that I sing it in my head, it doesn't sound half bad, I can imagine that Moonsorrow's grind side-band singing it)
Anyway, if I don't find anyone, I will try to write it myself. But I don't think it will be as good as it deserves.

Gameofmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:53 am 

Alright, I'll bite. The previews sound pretty good. Is email your preferred contact?

Reinarsson
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:37 am 

Email or private messages here, or we can use Discord or something like that. If we live in a similar time zone (GMT+1 for me), we might even get some realtime conversation going, heh.

~Guest 881392
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:08 am 

Out of curiosity, any interest for someone mostly playing bass / drums and engineering? I quite liked your samples. Cheers

Reinarsson
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:35 am 

Maybe we can work together if I ever decide to make another album, those instruments you mentioned sure aren't my strong side. I'd like to do some kind of collaboration project in the future anyway. But for now, the instrumental part is already done and so is most of the mixing and mastering. I want to focus on finishing this album first before I start looking for another trouble :)

Reinarsson
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:17 am 

UPDATE: I am no longer looking for a lyricist, that's done, thanks to Gameofmetal. Now I am looking for a vocalist or two, since the guys I previously had for the job have all let me down. Lazy SOBs, always making excuses. I've already tried several people and it usually is "oh, that's cool, I will do it", a month later it's "sorry, haven't looked into it yet", few months later it's "yeah well I don't have much time nowdays".

So, the instruments are recorded, lyrics are written, all I need is an able and committed guy who knows how to growl a bit. Or two guys. Since a lot of the songs have two points of view or a dialogue between two people, two different voices are desired, but it's not a necessity.
What kind of voice am I looking for? Not too deep, not too screamy, good pronunciation (recognizable words). Think of bands like Lemuria, Ensiferum, Finntroll, Dark Tranquillity, Thyrfing or Wintersun, to name a few.
I can give you guitar pro tabs of the songs, I can prepare a midi track of the vocals, I can make a text2speech track with correct timing. I will do everything in my power to make it easy for you to get into it and do your job well. And if I really like it, I might even give you some money (a symbolic sum).
Interested? Check the preview tracks. Want to help a fellow musician, to make his dream come true? First I want to hear your samples, then we can talk. Message me here, send me an email or hit me on Discord (Reinar#7668).

Reply to topic