Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
johnnymarijuana
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:37 pm 

It's not the first time I've looked for a well-known band that was deathcore or metalcore and they didn't exist on metallum.

It's kind of frustrating because I feel like the site limits itself to what it could really be... a true encyclopedia.

Please stop the discrimination against deathcore and metalcore bands.

There are a lot of bands that are missing (from both of those genres).

Sovl_Ov_Mvn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:13 am 

A Lot of well known bands like Fit for an Autopsy are more core than metal. Deathcore is a cross between hardcore and death metal music, a sub genre if you will. Most of the time if a band lacks the "metal riff" the band will be rejected. If you read the rules you'll see what I mean. You also have micro and fusion genres, hence why some bands have genres like "Blank/Blank" or "Blank with Blank influences." I will throw in some bands for more examples.

Vulvodynia is labeled as Deathcore/Brutal death metal on this site. Now i'm not like the mods on this site but they have the "metal riff" in their music. Again not an expert on this.

Infant Annihilator wasn't added until they released the Boy album. They are a tech deathcore. If you look at the old band appeals you can find their reason why they weren't on here.

Lorna Shore is a different story. Throughout their discography, there had been arguments and discussions galore. I'll use the most recent ep as an example. 3 track ep. It wasnt enough to get them accepted. Some compared it to IA's new album. But that was a 14 song long album.

All my examples are very vague i know, so just use the search function.

Norfrisianblackmetal wrote:
Based on the haircut of Will Ramos a ban is justified.

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:45 pm 

It's not discrimination, some bands within those sub-genres are more on the core side i.e. lean towards hardcore, which is a great genre itself but not a metal one.

Metalcore on the site - Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, I Killed the Prom Queen, Himsa etc
Metalcore rejected from the site - Parkway Drive, Asking Alexandria, Converge, Embrace the End etc

Deathcore on the site - Impending Doom, Despised Icon, Gutted With Broken Glass, Misericordiam etc
Deathcore rejected from the site - Suicide Silence, Those Who Endure, Fit For An Autopsy, Her Majesty etc

I'm not an admin, just offering some clarity on your question.

ImpurityOfMriyaLV
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:50 am 

I honestly think that since deathcore is a fusion genre between death metal and metalcore, 2 genre's of music that literally have the word "metal" in them, all deathcore bands should get accepted, or at least drastically more. It's very hit and miss whether or not a band you search that's deathcore will show up or not. Let's take the most popular and well-known deathcore band as an example: Suicide Silence. They have influences and roots in bands like Morbid Angel, Nile, Pantera, Sepultura, they have a song with Corpsegrinder from Cannibal Corpse, in dozens of their songs they have pretty much every characteristic that a death metal band would have, except they have breakdowns. I don't think breakdowns should exclude a band from being metal while slams are still considered metal. I get that when deathcore was a new genre it was seen as trendy and a lame phase by a lot of metalheads, but this genre has been thriving for a long time now and has evolved greatly since then. Bands like Decapitated and Lorna Shore co-exist great with eachother and share the same fans. Death metal and deathcore are both metal. I personally think that this website should evolve to being more inclusive to this genre, instead of half-inclusive to it. I know it would be a lot of hard work to add like 500 new bands, but it would also make this encyclopedia feel a lot more complete. If this website ever decides to whitelist the entire subgenre of deathcore, I'd personally put hundreds of hours into fact checking information and adding new bands as a thank you.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:28 am 

This forum is for giving feedback on trades on the forum Marketplace, and in general about well known and prominent sellers and distros. Site feedback has its own place here: viewforum.php?f=3

That said, although I understand your frustration, posting a suggestion here to include more deathcore or metalcore band is not likely to do much good. It's better to think of these rules and lines as something that we have to maintain somewhere. No matter how broad or how narrow the site's definition of metal is - to an observer - there will always be an edge area where people are upset that something isn't included. We are a database of metal music, and we can't let the scope of our definition for metal creep too much.

For what it's worth, exclusion from the site does not imply any kind of value judgement from the administration. There are lots of bands we enjoy a lot that we don't include on the site on account of the technical definition of metalness that we have, and well, there's a lot of total crap that the staff reluctantly listens to in order to determine if it's acceptable or not and ultimately accepts in spite of their dislike of the actual music.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.