Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:59 pm 

Hi,

I know Soen was, in the past, categorized as being predominantly progressive rock but that their latest album has not been evaluated. Can some mods give it a listen?

https://open.spotify.com/album/16v3Ule2sTTWT37VKUsH6F

Thank you!

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

Midnight Rider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:36 pm 

It's a no from me.

The Alternative Metal/Rock/Prog Rock side easily outweighs the Metal moments.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:10 pm 

Soen still def in the prog rock sphere than the prog metal sphere. Good band, just not metal.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

MattHells
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:15 pm 

From Lykaia (2017) to this day, after releasing their 4th album, Lotus (2019), Soen has become heavier and definitely Metal enough to be called "Metal". But here are some heavy evidence:

1. On the official website, this is how the band describes itself and its biography:

Quote:
Initially formed in 2004, it was in May 2010 that the formation of Soen was officially announced. Funding member drummer Martin Lopez describes Soen’s music as “melodic, heavy and intricate”

Quote:
2012’s Cognitive beat a firmly heavy, progressive metal path, before 2014’s Tellurian saw Soen start to stride freely into their own power and unique visions. Their third offering, Lykaia, was a conceptual journey exploring earthier places.

2. Soen's audience is pretty much formed by Prog, Prog/Power and even Death, Doom and Power Metal fans, an audience who listens to bands such as Leprous, Haken, TesseracT, Opeth, Tool, Symphony X, Katatonia, Myrath, Kamelot, etc. Not a Prog Rock audience, a Prog Metal one.

3. Leprous and Riverside, for example, sound much 'less Metal' than Soen and it has been like that for some years now, and yet they're still labeled as "Progressive Metal" and here they are (as they should). And then we have that old discussion between Metal vs. not Metal, where AOR, Melodic Hard Rock bands are considered Metal by some and not Metal by others. In this website we have Skid Row, Mötley Crüe, W.A.S.P. and Dokken catalogued, which I think it's fair, afterall they have a Metal root, although they're not entirely Heavy Metal. The same logic applied to all of these bands and to Scorpions, Deep Purple, Helmet, Faith no More, Ghost (which are also catalogued) is not applied to Amaranthe, Tool, Deftones, System of a Down, Avenged Sevenfold and Soen. Is Ghost more Metal than Soen is? At least a highly debatable question.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:54 am 

1) We don't really care about how bands describe themselves. We assess the music itself, by ourselves.

2) See above.

3) Please read.

~Guest 908370
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:11 pm 

Upset. I signed up just so I could add Soen here.

Well, it's your judgment, but I'll tell you a little about my love for metal. It started just when I heard a Soen song. Because of them, the guitar riffs and the bass, I decided to start listening to a heavier sound.

Today, I hear all kinds of metal. Death, Black, Prog Metal, Power Metal, etc. . Bands like Insomnium, Amorphis, Blind Guardian, Myrath, Orphaned Land, Amon Amarth, Gojira, Mastodon and so many others that I love.

And that thanks to Soen, who for me, introduced me to this branch of music.

Their album Lotus won the award for best alternative metal album, recognized by the 2019 Metal Storm Awards.

Sad to see that you don't qualify their sound as metal. Too sad and weird. Other much less heavy bands are classified here.

I hope you reconsider and honor this band that, for me and so many others, is considered one of the best progressive metal bands.

I await your reply.

Thank you very much for your attention.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:46 am 

You already had your answer.
I got introduced to heavier music by Slipknot and German Folk Rock. Both of which are often heavy, but nothing they released is predominantly metal according to this site.
And that's fine for me, I'm not less of a metal fan because a few of my favorite bands aren't on the site.

Now could we leave this band alone in here? :)

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:53 pm 

Hey, this was last updated last year and while they've pretty much always been riding the line between prog rock and metal, I think the newest album pretty much seals it.

This was the lead single and this is pretty much the tone of the whole album besides one track that's more of a prog rock ballad. I'd say they're easily around the Dream Theater part of the spectrum at this point, though some riffs wouldn't be out of place in older Opeth.

Voice_Of_Steel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:23 pm 

Full album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F00Mkyv ... CQ&index=2

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:55 pm 

Too many overlong non-metal chorus and solos. Some songs have metal riffing, but there's still a fair amount of straight up prog rock songs.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

MattHells
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:58 am 

Azmodes wrote:
1) We don't really care about how bands describe themselves. We assess the music itself, by ourselves.

2) See above.

3) Please read.

Fair enough. I had not read the Rules and Guidelines before posting and also missed the fact that the site has actual owners and staff, rather than being a collaborative website, which means moderators have a lot of work and dedication, so, even though I disagree on that matter, it is kind of unfair to demand anything or appear to do so.

goflotsam
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:23 am 

Their new album just dropped today.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4Cs8QmnJ ... AxpL4-JDJA

Quorthallis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:29 pm 

When you brought them up I was hopeful that this would be it only to get disappointed yet again. With that said don't bring them up again unless they release something that happens to be significantly more metal than all the albums they released so far. More of this heavy alternative/prog rock stuff won't cut it.

Reply to topic