Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:08 pm 

Eons ago, Jerusalem was on Metal-Archives but was then removed on account of being too Hard Rock. Given that the genre was still in its formative years and the 1972 album is one of the heavier psychedelic works that forged '70s Metal, I think it merits acceptance on account of its historical significance. In particular, the songs "Primitive Man", "Frustration", "I See the Light", "Where the Wolf Sits" and "Kamikaze Moth" deserve consideration:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... w1yqHhIFI4

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:46 am 

Jerusalem's debut album was already reevaluated in 2018 :
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=64985&p=2789523&hilit=Jerusalem#p2789523

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:46 pm 

viewtopic.php?p=2789748#p2789748

"Hmm. Both are pretty clearly classic/hard rock. Jerusalem even gives me Jesus Christ Superstar vibes. Sorry."

Jerusalembanduk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:23 am 

How on earth can Jerusalem UK be blacklisted? Everyone in Metal music knows Jerusalem were playing Heavy Metal, Doom, Stoner, Garage, NWOBHM years before the genres officially came into existence and is the main reason they are now a legendary band. They were most definitely not a Rock band. They were one of the pathfinders of Metal, just listen to Primitive Man from the Jerusalem album in 1972 (Deram and Rockadrome record labels), which is recognised by many as one of the early anthems of Metal.

Last edited by PaganiusI on Tue May 18, 2021 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topics merged

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:04 am 

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64985&start=19680
Also, can please a moderator merge the two threads on this forum, since the band was brought up here in the new forum not so long ago?

Last edited by Witcher on Tue May 18, 2021 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quorthallis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:12 am 

Yeah, wrong link there, this is the correct one. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=128724&p=2923512

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:25 am 

Topics merged.
Next time please search for the band to see if there already is an appeal.
In this case, everything has already been said, so I don't see a reason why we should check this again.
Sorry.

Jerusalembanduk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:34 am 

Sorry, but tens of thousands of people over 5 decades would not agree with your assessment, especially those who saw Jerusalem live in the early 70's. Hard/Heavy Rock was the term used for all evolving Metal bands at that time until the term Metal later became accepted, even Sabbath, ask Ozzy. Why do you thing Jerusalem were a support act for Sabbath? Ask Ozzy if he thought Jerusalem were Metal, that’s how he classed them at the time. Why were Jerusalem generally put in the same box as Sabbath by journalists and still are? Nothing like Deep Purple other than the Ian Gillan connection. Were any of you Moderators actually alive during the beginnings of Metal? To disregard Jerusalem as one of the pathfinders of Metal is a travesty to the genre. Even James Hetfield mentioned Jerusalem on a short list of early UK Metal bands on a radio interview during their first UK Tour in 1984. Ask him.

I humbly suggest that if you really want to be an accurate Encyclopedia of Metal, then you really should reassess your criteria, as blacklisting bands such as Jerusalem, who were there at the beginning, is not addressing the truth of how this genre all started and is doing a disservice to all Metal followers and artists.

'Metal music began in the late 60s and rose to prominence in the early 70s in Britain. Black Sabbath was the band that invented metal music in the late 1960s, the band played loud, hard rock music based on blues music. Heavy metal music was mostly based on the sounds of the electric guitar'.
Also an accurate description of Jerusalem

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:33 am 

We don't care for any of the points you made. This is clearly 70s hard rock. Since we're not listing Led Zeppelin, I don't see any reason why we should list this band.
Now drop it, please. This is the final decision.

TvvrAskesis
Marathon Man

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:56 am 

Jerusalembanduk wrote:
Were any of you Moderators actually alive during the beginnings of Metal?

Yes.

Jerusalembanduk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:13 am 

My last comment. It's very sad that you are unable to define your objections in a rational, intelligent, logical, realistic and factual manner. Obviously this site is now being run (as opposed to the original site) by self opinionated people who have no idea how and who started Metal. As a metaphor you seem to be saying that the wheel wasn't invented until the first car was made! It's a good job people like you were not involved in Record Companies in the 70's, otherwise Metal would never have happened. Ignorance is bliss as they say. I was there and involved in the creation of what would become Metal 50+ years ago and know the real story. I also have the privilege of being able to count among my friends some members of the bands that started it all, right through to the likes of Slayer and Megadeath. You should now be embarrassed calling your site Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives, as it is definitely not any longer. You now exclude many of the bands that started Metal, maybe you are even in denial that the original Metal came from the UK.
I would be very interested to know what the 250,000+ fans, followers and friends of Jerusalem on Social Media would make of your decision. It's a real shame this site,which was once a great concept, has now been taken over by a few misguided individuals.
Over and Out

P.S. Sincerely hope our conversation will remain on your site, so others can judge and discuss.

KingSpooky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:28 am 

It's been a while since I came across anyone who speaks in such a tasteless manner about their own band, putting others down who choose to spend their time here day after day, researching REAL metal (and the truly heavy bands of the '60s and '70s that are a part of it) and helping to make it accessible to people who are interested, because we care about music. I did enjoy Jerusalem's music prior to having to read your self-important rants throughout the day, but your statements rubbed me the wrong way. By the time your album came out in 1972 there were many, many bands that were WORLDS above what Jerusalem were doing, both in terms of musical ambition and heaviness. Though the material is enjoyable for people that aren't exposed to the condescending attitude of at least one band member, it is fairly pedestrian material, basically not more than an average product of the time period that it came out of. That's why, though I've owned the album for many years and would play it from time to time, I never feel like going back to listen to it much and really get to know it, because it's not really worth all of that. Given your arrogant ramblings here, it won't even hold up to the occasional spin anymore. The lack of distortion in the guitars and absence of truly dark, cool riffs just makes it an ultimately forgettable release.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:00 pm 

OK boomer

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.