Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
JosgalixXx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:18 pm 

I recently discovered this band and while they might not sound metal enough, they should at least be checked. Here are some examples:

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:08 pm 

They aren't blacklisted, so we aren't going to do any pre-checks but be warned that their 2017 album "Anti-pop" is just a covers album and they need an album of original material to be accepted.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:12 pm 

I'm a big fan of this band actually, and I can say that with their current material, they have no chance of getting a place here. The only original material they have, which I believe is 5 songs is folk+mallcore, not metal.

NarKoFrozeNorth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:04 pm 

Hope I'm not necroposting, but they finally released a proper album, and it is very good work!

It'll be possibile to see 'em on the website, now?

Quorthallis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:43 pm 

They were blacklisted because the album was still on pre-order when they got submitted. Now when it's out feel free to submit and we'll check it properly.
Whitelisted.

~Guest 1392546
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:14 pm 

Why should Bloodywood be treated any differently than the other nu-core/nu-metal bands that are necessarily rejected from this site (not that I necessarily agree with that decision), such as Linkin Park, Slipknot, and Tallah?

Quorthallis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:43 pm 

bardberic wrote:
Why should Bloodywood be treated any differently than the other nu-core/nu-metal bands that are necessarily rejected from this site (not that I necessarily agree with that decision), such as Linkin Park, Slipknot, and Tallah?

Uhm, they weren't accepted. They were just whitelisted for a proper look because they were submitted previously based only on cover songs without the original album being released. They were evaluated in the queue based on the new album and now are blacklisted for being nu-metal with folk elements.

lacoidd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:17 am 

Doesn't sound like 'mallcore', does it?

Regarding the nu-metal label.. as I remember the nu-metal that began around the mid 90's and enriched our world (arguably) tons of musical garbage, I can compare these guys with groups like Staind, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park.. bands that were whoring for the fanbase of pop listeners, and generally were riding the wave of hype and progressively began to sound all the same to just grind out as much money as they could before the hype is over. If this is supposedly a nu metal, then it is a New Indian Wave of Nu Metal that is just far cry in terms of musicianship from the aforementioned bands, while it has just everything to do with a proper metal perhaps except some lenghty rapping parts.

Quorthallis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:28 am 

Yes, it's precisely nu-metal/mallcore. You can call it whatever wave of nu-metal you want, nu-metal is unacceptable by this site's standards as plainly stated in the rules. And one mod even stated that this is what a mix of Linkin Park and Eluveitie's folk instrument section would sound like. So this won't get whitelisted.

lacoidd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:40 am 

Quorthallis wrote:
Yes, it's precisely nu-metal/mallcore. You can call it whatever wave of nu-metal you want, nu-metal is unacceptable by this site's standards as plainly stated in the rules. And one mod even stated that this is what a mix of Linkin Park and Eluveitie's folk instrument section would sound like. So this won't get whitelisted.

While I accept that you have your specific view on the supposed genre of nu-metal, the comparison to Linkin Park with Eluveitie' s folk instruments had me almost spilled my coffee to the monitor screen.. I might be wrong, but this smell of arrogance, a lot of it.

lacoidd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:46 am 

Not sure why my reply hasn't passed to the forum, but while checking for it, I haven noticed the 'mallcore kid' label. I'm newly registered, so I am wondering if it is some kind of ranking based on the number of posts a person creates.

Quorthallis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:51 am 

lacoidd wrote:
While I accept that you have your specific view on the supposed genre of nu-metal, the comparison to Linkin Park with Eluveitie' s folk instruments had me almost spilled my coffee to the monitor screen.. I might be wrong, but this smell of arrogance, a lot of it.

That's another mod's opinion. If that's enough to make you want to spill your coffee on the monitor screen, I don't know what to tell you.

lacoidd wrote:
Not sure why my reply hasn't passed to the forum, but while checking for it, I haven noticed the 'mallcore kid' label. I'm newly registered, so I am wondering if it is some kind of ranking based on the number of posts a person creates.

Well, it has, so being patient could've solved that problem. And yes, mallcore kid is a rank based on number of posts you make here.

lacoidd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:50 pm 

Quorthallis wrote:
lacoidd wrote:

That's another mod's opinion. If that's enough to make you want to spill your coffee on the monitor screen, I don't know what to tell you.

lacoidd wrote:

Well, it has, so being patient could've solved that problem. And yes, mallcore kid is a rank based on number of posts you make here.

Regarding my reaction to my spontanneous reaction to a mod's opinion, I would assume he/she has a broad musical knowledge so I would not expect such comparison from such a knowledgeable person. It therefore looks arrogant. Anyways that's my opinion and all I can say about it.

TalosoftheTundra
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:14 am 

Quorthallis wrote:

I get the nu-metal influence here, but according to the archives here, you guys have 109 bands with 'nu-metal' as a subgenre. Bloodywood isn't 'just' nu-metal, there is folk elements there. And mallcore? Please elaborate what you mean in this regard, because that makes no sense in the context of the music here. At least to me. Urban Dictionary states it's 'A bastardized genre of music in which the distorted guitars and agressive vocals of hardcore and heavy metal are dumbed down musically and then packaged to be marketable to angst-ridden teens' and that 'lyrical content often complains about the unfairness of teenage situation, parents, school, or in rare cases politics'. Wiktionary describes it as 'Popular music that is overproduced, mainstream, corporately controlled, etc., as opposed to popular music that is independent or artistic' and Bloodywood are entirely independant. Even Last.fm says 'Mallcore is a term used to describe music in spectrum of Hardcore, Metal, and Rock genres, that tends to be very accessible and appealing to teenagers'. Not sure which definition you're going for here.

S9NE
Magical Metal Girl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:57 am 

TalosoftheTundra wrote:
Quorthallis wrote:

I get the nu-metal influence here, but according to the archives here, you guys have 109 bands with 'nu-metal' as a subgenre. Bloodywood isn't 'just' nu-metal, there is folk elements there. And mallcore? Please elaborate what you mean in this regard, because that makes no sense in the context of the music here. At least to me. Urban Dictionary states it's 'A bastardized genre of music in which the distorted guitars and agressive vocals of hardcore and heavy metal are dumbed down musically and then packaged to be marketable to angst-ridden teens' and that 'lyrical content often complains about the unfairness of teenage situation, parents, school, or in rare cases politics'. Wiktionary describes it as 'Popular music that is overproduced, mainstream, corporately controlled, etc., as opposed to popular music that is independent or artistic' and Bloodywood are entirely independant. Even Last.fm says 'Mallcore is a term used to describe music in spectrum of Hardcore, Metal, and Rock genres, that tends to be very accessible and appealing to teenagers'. Not sure which definition you're going for here.

Those 109 bands play different metal genres aside from that. It's the same reason why we have certain "djent" bands listed. Throwing some folk elements on top of nu-metal doesn't make the cut. Also please don't get so caught up on the mallcore tag. Those random definitions from easily edited sites are not to be taken too seriously.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:48 am 

Sorry to hurt your feelings but this is indeed what a mix of Linkin Park and Eluveitie's folk instrument section would sound like. This description is very accurate actually!

brocolli_zagreen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:05 am 

While it's undeniable the band is influenced by Linkin Park (Bloodywood themselves said they're a huge influence on them), it's dismissive to simply call them a combination of Linkin Park & Eluveitie and leave it at that. I find the comparison superficial. Their song "Machi Bhasad" is very djenty and that's something their 2000s nu-metal influences never did. Yes, Bloodywood switches off between rap and clean vocals in the same vein that Linkin Park did. However, that's a shallow comparison as the level of aggression Bloodywood approach their music is not found in Linkin Park. Musically, Bloodywood uses a lot of groovy riffs in songs like "Gaddar", "Machi Bhasad", "Endurant", and "Chakh Le". From a rapping perspective, Raoul Kerr chooses a more hostile, angry delivery than Mike Shinoda was every able to do (check out "Dana-Dan" for some really pissed off, unhinged rap). The comparison to Eluveitie is sort of funny since Bloodywood uses entirely Indian instruments such as a dhol, a double headed drum which adds a unique percussive element that consistently drives the more upbeat songs. There is no hurdy-gurdy, bagpipes, or violin here. "Jee Veerey" is my personal favorite song of theirs and the combinations of the tumbi, the flute, and the mrudangam in this song adds a lovely folk dimension.

While everyone here wants to throw this into the nu-metal bin, the more accurate description would be nu, djent, groove, and Indian folk metal.

Quorthallis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:13 pm 

Why should we care about any of this? This is not a thread for chit-chat but for users to ask questions that the mods answer. If you want to chit-chat about an unlisted band, do it in "The Tavern" subforum. As for this thread, no more posts until there is a new album to evaluate.

Reply to topic