* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gelordum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:27 am 

Hi!

Latest release of this project for re-evaluation:
https://thesunsjourneythroughthenight.bandcamp.com/album/eternal-black-transmissions

Thanks!

Nightsward
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:28 pm 

This is about 45% black metal, 55% ambient. Close but no cigar.

Thrasher01
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:31 pm 

Hello, I tried to add The Suns Journey Through The Night from the UK, who just released a new raw, atmospheric EP via Repose Records, but it says that they are blacklisted. Was wondering why are they blacklisted?

Thanks,

Nightsward
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:53 pm 

Merged topics. Please be sure to use the search function next time before creating a new thread.

They're blacklisted for being more ambient than metal. I assume this Repose Records EP is the same one brought up for evaluation in the OP, so if is it'll stay blacklisted.

Thrasher01
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:21 pm 

I strongly encourage you to re-evaluate the label of being more ambient than metal based on the latest release:
https://thesunsjourneythroughthenight.b ... nsmissions

Nightsward
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:52 am 

...that's literally the same link as the one in the OP...

And yes, it's more ambient than metal. Maybe 50/50 if I'm being really generous, which is still not enough.

Thrasher01
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:48 pm 

This band and album is firmly rooted in black metal and clearly draws major influences from other raw, atmospheric bands such as Paysage d'Hiver, Darkspace and Vintlechkeit. How can a band whose sound is clearly more than 50% black metal be blacklisted, when there are dozens of bands who have only released ambient albums and have their full discographies listed? There is an entire genre selection on the site for "Dark Ambient" bands that include a variety of bands like Moevot, Dark Ages & Lurker of Chalice, who have released primarily ambient albums. Compared to many bands categorized as "Dark Ambient", I believe that TSJTTN heavily falls on the black metal category and could even be accepted as a dark ambient project since that is an acceptable genre category.

Thank you,

Nightsward
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:29 pm 

Well, we don't really care about who a band is influenced by, just what the music itself sounds like. And yes, there is quite a bit of black metal in that album, but ultimately the ambient parts outweigh the black metal parts. I listened to it multiple times to be sure (was thinking of submitting the band myself at one point), so I'm quite certain about this.

And no, we actually don't accept dark ambient projects. The ones that we list here, assuming they've never actually released a predominantly metal album at some point in their careers, are selected exceptions included as side-projects of notable musicians and/or for their historical significance, as mentioned in the rules:

Da roolz wrote:
Side-projects of notable metal band members (ex. Pain, Wongraven, Die Verbannten Kinder Evas). We prefer side-projects to be on a label with worldwide distribution and have a full-length release, but do not require it (this is to avoid a flood of bedroom/MySpace bands).
Non-metal projects included arbitrarily as they are seen by the staff to belong as a part of the metal scene. Their inclusion is rare, exceptional, and discretionary of the staff.

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:35 am 

Blacklisted for being more dark ambient over black metal, the band put an album earlier this year that is more cemented in the black metal style.

https://thesunsjourneythroughthenight.b ... nsmissions

Last edited by PaganiusI on Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topics merged

Nightsward
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:47 am 

Don't have time to merge threads at the moment, but see here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=128142

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:07 am 

Merged

The release has already been evaluated.

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:03 am 

Oh fair enough, the name didn't come up hence why I started a new one. Will keep an eye on the group for more metal oriented releases in the future

Reply to topic