Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LastRemainingLight
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:37 am 

I've just had a submission rejected for the reason it seems "to be too djent for this site". Just wondering what this means? Why would a band be rejected for having that particular characteristic, especially seeing as whatever 'djent' is, is supposedly a type of metal. This artist's music is also influenced mainly by other subsets of metal, (listen to 'LEM' for ambient and black metal, or 'Ma'at' for thrash metal).

I don't even necessarily agree with he categorization 'djent' in general, as it's just a subset of groove metal. Does this mean that Meshuggah wouldn't get a page on this site, as they are considered 'djent', and their music evolved from thrash and groove metal influences? Is every band that has an ounce of groove just rejected? Genuinely curious for my future contributions, many thanks.

https://mattjanderson.bandcamp.com/

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:05 pm 

We reject them for having that djent "characteristic" because it's not a metal riff. It evolved from metal since Meshugga did it first, but that's about it.
Our rules also explicitly state that we don't consider djent to be metal.

Meshuggah is only listed on the site because of their early material, because that was firmly rooted in Groove/Thrash. Without that they would indeed not be listed here.
And no, we do not reject Groove Metal bands as long as they're actually Groove Metal and note Djent or Mallcore/Nu Metal or whatever else gets called Groove Metal these days.

In your case we acknowledged the influences from other genres, but the djent outweighs it, hence the band is not metal enough by our standards

LastRemainingLight
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:03 am 

'Not metal enough', that's some of the most insane elitism if I've ever heard.

I can understand your argument to some extent. Like I said, don't even necessarily agree with the categorization of 'Djent', however it's clearly a form of metal. To suggest otherwise is to simply deny reality.

Heavy, distorted guitars? check. Compressed drums with an emphasis on kick and snare in a mix, check. Distorted bass, check. 'Riffing' motifs, check. Technically inspired lead parts, check. Rhythmically intricate parts and structures, check. If that's not metal, I don't know what is. Inspired by subgenres of metal and the inception of the genre as a whole coming before it, check.

PaganiusI wrote:
We reject them for having that djent "characteristic" because it's not a metal riff. It evolved from metal since Meshugga did it first, but that's about it.
Our rules also explicitly state that we don't consider djent to be metal.

Meshuggah is only listed on the site because of their early material, because that was firmly rooted in Groove/Thrash. Without that they would indeed not be listed here.
And no, we do not reject Groove Metal bands as long as they're actually Groove Metal and note Djent or Mallcore/Nu Metal or whatever else gets called Groove Metal these days.

In your case we acknowledged the influences from other genres, but the djent outweighs it, hence the band is not metal enough by our standards

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:13 am 

That is our decision and we are well aware that not everyone agrees with where we draw the line here. Even among the staff members people have different personal ideas of metal, but we stick to the rules of the site when dealing with things on the site and I think we're consistent in how we deal with thing, so that's just how it is.

Reply to topic