Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
baldadeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:01 am 

I tried to submit a local band from my town, Hybris who play a clearly gothic death metal

I noticed that another Hybris from Italy has been blacklisted: no mention at all which band was it, what kind of music style they played, the town of origin and of course not even the reason why it was blacklisted, so in order to make my submission I just put "(2)" and explained in the submission notes the reason of that added "2", otherwise the submission could go not through: if an administrator would accept the submission, it just takes around 5 seconds to remove that "2" in the band name, but I notice that most of times bands are accepted without even checking them...

anyway,
I got a really arrogant and ridicolous reply by an administrator (obviously anonymous) who replied:

"Come on now, you know full well that this isn't the way to go about this. Please use the Appeals forum for this sort of thing. It doesn't matter if it's a different band, any sort of whitelisting request should go in Appeals.

Do not attempt something like this again. You've been warned at least once before."

To my opinion this reply is not only arrogant and ridicolous: it clearly testify that administrators NOT ONLY don't read the messages but they think submitters are forcing rules in order to push ad submit again bands which are blacklisted: at this point just one question:

How could I know that this band has been rejected before (I guess nobody knew this band until now that I recentely discovered the demo) if there was o indication at all about the previously rejected band (style / town of origin / year / line up / everything else?)

So I am here not to discuss about the band in itself - the band I submitted is clearly death metal with gothic influences so I am 100% sure it can easily be included here - but the reaction / tone of reply of this anonymous administrator that doesn't seem got a really high education nopt even the necessary instruments to keep his role here

Last edited by Azmodes on Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please adhere to standard title formatting

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:48 am 

Really, man? The reply you got was hardly ridiculous or arrogant, and in fact is more than polite given the rules you broke. Don't be so melodramatic over what amounts to you knowingly doing something you know is wrong. Again. It's not helping your case.

We do value your contributions to the site, but not the way you disregard our rules or our staff. And, I don't get it. You clearly know our rules with the blacklist and you know how to appeal bands - you've done so before, and here you're doing it now - but in this case for some reason you thought it was wise to bypass it? Even though the warning you would have gotten spells it out pretty clearly that you would (and probably should) be banned for doing so:
Quote:
Warning: a band called "Hybris" (Italy) has been blacklisted! Your submission will NOT go through.
If you think this is an error, please create a thread in this subforum (read the "rules" thread first). Attempting to circumvent the blacklist is a bannable offense. Thank you.

You've been around the site for at least a good six years now. When you see a warning like that your instinct shouldn't have been to ignore it, even if you think you're right. This place - this forum - is where you prove yourself right. How is that so hard to grasp?

Also this shit...
baldadeath wrote:
...but the reaction / tone of reply of this anonymous administrator that doesn't seem got a really high education nopt even the necessary instruments to keep his role here

... is totally not acceptable. "Anonymous administrator". It's Azmodes, one of the friendliest, probably most reasonable mods you have ever received a response from, and yet you disparage him with ad hominem attacks, insulting his intelligence, education, and his role because of it? Of course after this reply I'd expect no less the same treatment from you. Some "anonymous mod" said negative things to you, he must clearly be dumb because you can't possibly be in the wrong. Give me a break.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:28 pm 

The fuck is this? Just so you know, you were this close to getting banned over this, even before this ridiculous response.

"Oh, but how should I know if it's the same band that's blacklisted?" What the fuck does it matter? Derigin pasted the blacklist message above, it's crystal clear. Don't submit the blacklisted band, post about it in the appeals instead, or you'll be banned. Where's the fucking room for interpretation there? And you've been warned about this very thing before! But no, apparently you think "surely this doesn't apply to me!" and submit anyway. It's this blatant disregard for the rules that's the problem, not taking the time to remove a "2" from the band name.

Many mods were in favor of banning you, arguing that you had a history of showing contempt and disrespect for not only the rules of the site, but the moderators themselves (not to mention already getting banned in the past). A few others (myself included, though now not so sure) felt that you should be given a final chance. In the end, the very moderator that you just insulted decided to follow the latter recommendation and sent you an all-things-considered fairly polite warning.

And then you respond like this. With insults. Complaining about arrogance. Jesus Christ, take a look in the mirror.

I don't want to hear one word out of place from you in the future.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:37 pm 

baldadeath wrote:
administrator (obviously anonymous)

All rejection emails are signed, dude. Even if you have those turned off, you can easily glean who rejected it from looking at your draft's modification history.

Anyway, nothing further to add to the two posts above me, so I guess let's deal with the actual appeal (or lack thereof)...

A band with this name from Italy was blacklisted because someone wasn't able to provide actual evidence for a valid release and ultimately resorted to faking proof. No idea if this is the same band or not, but with the link you provided in your submission (which you should simply have posted here first), I'd say there's enough to whitelist it. Which I have done so now. So feel free to submit. Or not, if you decide that this post was too arrogant and/or ridiculous for the site to deserve your continued contribution.

Reply to topic