Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thejollyroger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:15 pm 

I used the search function to see why this band isn't on MA, but the only answers I found in past forums were "nope". Nothing really detailed or explanaitory.

Could this band be considered for a re-evaluation based on the album "Scream Aim Fire"?
This album is clearly more metal than -core and has a huge thrash metal/melodeath sounding.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:18 am 

Has been brought up before and this should be answer enough:
viewtopic.php?p=2597834#p2597834

Voice_Of_Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:44 am 

Maybe you guys already relistened to this and if that's the case I apologize for resurrecting this, but if not could you please take another look at this album? There are quite a few bands of this variety that have been added recently that the mods said no to like 8 years ago like The Crimson Armada and I Killed The Prom Queen, for example. I am not a fan of this band, but I really don't understand why this wouldn't be considered metal enough because most of the songs on here sounded consistently riffy to me. There are like 3 or so lighter ones, but even those still had some obvious metal riffs in them. I could be wrong, but I'd be pretty interested in hearing what the issue with this album is because the previous posts that brought it up didn't have any explanation like the OP said. I honestly don't understand how this wouldn't be at least borderline. I hope this doesn't come off as rude or something, because I'm genuinely curious about this album.

The album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWmQiDm ... 8B&index=1

Thanks!

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:20 am 

Also bear in mind I do not consider myself a fan of this brand of Butt Metal, but the album Venom makes a surprisingly strong case on account of the songs "Army of Noise", "Broken", "The Harder the Heart" (your mileage my vary on this one), "Skin", "Hell or High Water" (same here) and "Pariah". It is very borderline, but just might cross the threshold of acceptability.

I tried searching for references to this album but found no results. If it was brought up in the past but wasn't named, my apologies.

Quorthallis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:07 am 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
Also bear in mind I do not consider myself a fan of this brand of Butt Metal, but the album Venom makes a surprisingly strong case on account of the songs "Army of Noise", "Broken", "The Harder the Heart" (your mileage my vary on this one), "Skin", "Hell or High Water" (same here) and "Pariah". It is very borderline, but just might cross the threshold of acceptability.

I tried searching for references to this album but found no results. If it was brought up in the past but wasn't named, my apologies.

Yes, it has been brought up before. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=64985&p=2553296&hilit#p2553296

The link isn't working, but it is an appeal from September 2015 and it says "new Bullet for My Valentine's full-length". The album was released in August 2015, so that has to be it.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:29 am 

Yes, I remember that. I was the one who appealed them, back when they've released Venom. But who knows, the moderators might've eventually change their mind about the band.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:31 am 

Quorthallis wrote:
Muhammadabbadabba wrote:

Yes, it has been brought up before. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=64985&p=2553296&hilit#p2553296

The link isn't working, but it is an appeal from September 2015 and it says "new Bullet for My Valentine's full-length". The album was released in August 2015, so that has to be it.

Ah, duly noted. Thought it was one of those borderline cases that just barely might qualify but couldn't. Four solid Metal tracks and two semi-Metal tracks.

Well, at least we now have the release in question expressly named for future reference.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:56 pm 

Yeah, no. Venom is not going to make it even with six years difference. A couple thrash riffs and acceptable metalcore riffs in an album is not going to make it pass.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Voice_Of_Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:26 pm 

What about Scream Aim Fire? That was the one I linked. I think their other albums are pretty obviously not metal enough for this site. Maybe you guys are still looking at it but I forgot to say the title of it.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:27 pm 

I'll check it out later today or tomorrow. I listened to one song that sort of could go either way (more so than anything on Venom), I just need a break from this band because I went in to make sure if their latest album might be okay. It wasn't.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

thejollyroger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:33 pm 

The link for the full SAF album I posted first is gone.
For those who want to check it out here it is:

Scream Aim Fire

...and Venom, now that people brought it to discussion:

Voice_Of_Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:47 pm 

Thanks PDS, I appreciate you taking the time. One thing to note though, when you listen to the album, make sure to listen to the regular album (the one I linked) not the deluxe edition, because it has 4 bonus tracks that might hurt the band's chances (I haven't heard them so I dont know if they are metal) and would also just be a waste of time to listen to. The actual album is only 50 minutes not an hour and ten. It ends with "Forever And Always".

Here it is on Spotify as well in case you want to use that:
https://open.spotify.com/album/04VE36yB ... agAEh6eEBg

Discogs:
https://www.discogs.com/BFMV-Scream-Aim ... ter/232474

Quorthallis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:17 pm 

Voice_Of_Steel wrote:
One thing to note though, when you listen to the album, make sure to listen to the regular album (the one I linked) not the deluxe edition, because it has 4 bonus tracks that might hurt the band's chances and would also just be a waste of time to listen to.

I don't think anyone here ever judged an album based on the bonus tracks. But this track is probably one of the metal songs they've ever made. It's the last bonus track on the album, so in the future maybe don't jump to conclusions without listening to the songs first.
https://youtu.be/kcMZsdIhBFg

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:51 pm 

It's going to be a negatory with Scream Aim Fire. There's just too much non metal -core. Yes, a good amount of songs have either acceptable metalcore or, on teh occasion, thrash metal riffs, but I can really only call two songs predominately metal. It would have been a harder decision if they didn't have those pop rock songs, maybe, but yeah, it's a no based on this album.

Voice_Of_Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:59 pm 

Okay thanks for giving it another look!

Reply to topic