Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GoreationeD
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:18 pm 

Well,it does,that picture is full of black and that costs.
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6553/dsc7964bh0.jpg

And more money with an studio Demo.

Ok,next step, an real studio.
||
\/

Last edited by GoreationeD on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:42 pm 

GoreationeD wrote:
Hey i did what i was told to do,a CD cover and a good quality picture.
If this is shit,ok,when i'll have more money i will put again.

Come on... You made this CD ONLY to get accepted here. You tell it yourself: "i did what i was told to do". The photo is showing a unique copy of your demo. It means it's not sold, not given out... This is in no way a release according to us.
Once again, people who quickly make a CD-R of their demo only to get on here will hardly see their band accepted.

LordHaggard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:12 am 

hi.

I added Thimblesnip (Austria)earlier today and got rejected. because:

"Either there is a lack of information, or this band has no apparent discography. Please see rule #7. If this band has indeed released anything and you can show us proof, you can resubmit it again."

Is it a proof that i played in the band and we sold about 200 copies of the CD, that we recorded and copied by ourselfs in 2003? You can listen to some of the songs on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/thimblesnip

Is this proof enough?

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:15 am 

if your band is metal, include a photography of your releases into the submission to the MA. You have to give to the moderators something that enables them to see that you have a release out.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Heraklyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:06 pm 

Hey, once again I tried to add a band to the Archives, that was rejected. This time, it was the band Profan. Is this band not metal enough as well? It seems pretty metal, doomy, drony stuff...

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:50 pm 

Heraklyon wrote:
Hey, once again I tried to add a band to the Archives, that was rejected. This time, it was the band Profan. Is this band not metal enough as well? It seems pretty metal, doomy, drony stuff...

http://www.myspace.com/profanmusic
This noise has absolutely nothing to do with doom or any other metal.
Drony stuff equals non-metal in 99% cases.

Profan is no longer Black or Death Metal. It may have Rock/Metal components, but in its core the living essence is mainly made of slow-driven raw sound. Taking some influences of Doom, Drone, Noise or free improvisation, some rehearsals take place, in which some recordings are done. Some are or will be available for free through the Internet, some will be edited in low price items in underground labels.
Influences:
Merzbow vs Celtic Frost vs Frank Zappa vs Black Sabbath vs Tom Waits vs Throbbing Gristle vs Darkthrone

Merzbow are pretty metal? Throbbinng Gristle are pretty metal? Frank Zappa is pretty metal? And so on..

Heraklyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:02 pm 

Witcher wrote:
Heraklyon wrote:

Profan is no longer Black or Death Metal. It may have Rock/Metal components, but in its core the living essence is mainly made of slow-driven raw sound. Taking some influences of Doom, Drone, Noise or free improvisation, some rehearsals take place, in which some recordings are done. Some are or will be available for free through the Internet, some will be edited in low price items in underground labels.
Influences:
Merzbow vs Celtic Frost vs Frank Zappa vs Black Sabbath vs Tom Waits vs Throbbing Gristle vs Darkthrone

Merzbow are pretty metal? Throbbinng Gristle are pretty metal? Frank Zappa is pretty metal? And so on..

Ok, so "this (actual) noise" has nothing to do with metal. But in their beggining they were black/death. But, can't a band be added to the archives considering their past? How many bands are in the archives, that have changed their sound from death to rock, for example?

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:12 pm 

Heraklyon wrote:
Witcher wrote:
Heraklyon wrote:

Influences:

Ok, so "this (actual) noise" has nothing to do with metal. But in their beggining they were black/death. But, can't a band be added to the archives considering their past? How many bands are in the archives, that have changed their sound from death to rock, for example?

The band must have at least one album in metal style. This band started with the noise style already in 2004.

Demoniac_LL
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:55 am 

I don't get this! A band Like "Complete Failure" that is Grindcore...with some experimental stuff (I may had...but cleverly hidden) and then Today is The Day isn't on Metal-Archives ???

I mean I know they aren't 100% metal, but they have strong Grindcore Elements - Kiss the Pig (more recently) even on the album "Temple of The Mourning Star" had some elements that bands like Amesoeurs (not the best example) have!

I understand that some lines must be crossed to avoid total Caos. But Honestly I think a band like Today is The Day should be on Metal Archives.

I know most people will say "meeehhhh" because they have Hardcore Elements......but if Grindcore bands are in here.....Today is The Day should be here too.......Kiss The Pig is a Grindcore album to me....scratching noise.

PS: Regarding the discussion above......Complete Failure have only one album and it is Grindcore.....(and I love it! and I'm not into Grindcore....they just do it in a way that I adore)

Unearthly
Spectre of Wrath

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:49 am 

The presence of bands you may find surprising or less worthy plays no hand in acceptance of other bands. It's a matter of individual evaluation, not "if band X is metal enough then band Y is too." That said, you're far from the first person to bring up Today is the Day, and unless they release a clearly metal album (unlikely), they won't be accepted.

(tl;dr not a metal band)

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:54 am 

Today is the Day were discussed countless times, and still found more experimtal hc/grind than metal.

As for grindcore, read the rules. It is acceptable, only if it is close to death metal or, in some cases, thrash metal.

Grindcore itself in its pure form is a hardcore punk derived style, not a metal one.

Death/Grind- o.k., others -not o.k.

Demoniac_LL
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:27 pm 

Witcher wrote:
Today is the Day were discussed countless times, and still found more experimtal hc/grind than metal.

As for grindcore, read the rules. It is acceptable, only if it is close to death metal or, in some cases, thrash metal.

Grindcore itself in its pure form is a hardcore punk derived style, not a metal one.

Well I'm not saying you are wrong.......but had seen both bands live on Tuesday... I didn't find them that much diferent (Today is the Day and Complete Failure....since they are from the Steve Austin Label (Supernova Records) the influences are there).

Just have a listen to "Kiss the Pig" and Complete Failure(they are on the archives for this matter).....

And I found Complete failure to have hardcore punk derived style grindcore.....

But I won't die if TiTD isn't on here... Just found it be incoerent.

PS: Don't Remove Complete Failure, it would be bad just because in my mind I find them similar. I won't argue anymore on this subject thought...just have a listen to it!

Demenekan
Deathless in Spiritual Evil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:30 am 

Sorry Demenekan, Encyclopaedia Metallum was forced to reject your submission for the band Darker Grounds (Finland), for the following reason:

The band you have submitted is already present in the database. To avoid a duplicate entry, we had to delete your submission. We apologize for the inconvenience, however next time please make sure that the band is absent from the database before submitting it. Thank you for your comprehension. __Only minor name modification.__

--------

This has never really occuared to me. Where does one draw the line? Diablo Brothers was added recently (former name of Diablo (Fin)). When The Empire Falls was added (formerly Empire Falls).

EDIT: Not a mention Covenant/The Kovenant.
Rise up against the enslaver

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:49 am 

Demenekan wrote:
Sorry Demenekan, Encyclopaedia Metallum was forced to reject your submission for the band Darker Grounds (Finland), for the following reason:

The band you have submitted is already present in the database. To avoid a duplicate entry, we had to delete your submission. We apologize for the inconvenience, however next time please make sure that the band is absent from the database before submitting it. Thank you for your comprehension. __Only minor name modification.__

--------

This has never really occuared to me. Where does one draw the line? Diablo Brothers was added recently (former name of Diablo (Fin)). When The Empire Falls was added (formerly Empire Falls).

When the change in name is complete, then a new page is made. Otherwise there are no written rules, but in cases of sole name modifications, there is no reason to make a separate page. It was explained here countless time.

There is no definitive solution applicable on all cases.
Simply submit such bands only when they completely change their name.

The Kovenent have also modified their musical style, so in that case, two pages are good solution.

windsofwar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:04 pm 

I'm failing to understand why my submission for the band Night's Watch was rejected. The discography listed (the Antediluvian demo) does indeed exist, it has been sold at shows and whatnot. It was self-produced and independently released, but bands with only a demo release appear on metal-archives (such as Sacrosanct (US). The songs are all up at myspace and can be heard at www.myspace.com/nightswatchband.

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:28 pm 

windsofwar wrote:
I'm failing to understand why my submission for the band Night's Watch was rejected. The discography listed (the Antediluvian demo) does indeed exist, it has been sold at shows and whatnot. It was self-produced and independently released, but bands with only a demo release appear on metal-archives (such as Sacrosanct (US). The songs are all up at myspace and can be heard at www.myspace.com/nightswatchband.

This might very well be but did you prove it? If you gave only their MySpace page I can understand why it was rejected. If you own this demo you can for instance upload a photography of it.

Thorr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:26 pm 

Thorr wrote:
Since my thread got locked, I'll just ask here. Why would Tusk not be allowed on the site?

A) Though I know about the grindcore rule, their newest album The Resisting Dreamer is no where near grindcore. It's sludge, almost like one of Pelican's album.
B) Even if it was just based on grindcore material, Tusk is a sideproject of Pelican, and thus should still be submitted.

Thorr wrote:
Since my thread got locked, I'll just ask here. Why would Tusk not be allowed on the site?

A) Though I know about the grindcore rule, their newest album The Resisting Dreamer is no where near grindcore. It's sludge, almost like one of Pelican's album.
B) Even if it was just based on grindcore material, Tusk is a sideproject of Pelican, and thus should still be submitted.

Thorr wrote:

Thorr wrote:

Thorr wrote:

Durandal1717
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:33 pm 

Witcher wrote:

Speaking of this, Electro Hippies were also rejected. Yes they have a strong crust/grind sound, but very heavily rooted in thrash; crossover for the most part. The guitarist was also in Metal Duck and other crossover bands, though this was the only to utilize blastbeats. If the album wasn't thrashy enough I have some more material that could be acceptable.

As for my 2 cents on drone, I think that it's metal more often than not, but a very thin line. Just as how this supposed 3rd wave of black metal frequently crosses over into more experimental music, such as noise, ambient, etc., such as the entire AWP catalogue for example, so does drone. But the difference between noise/ambient is the guitar playing riffs instead of just atmospheric shit. Earth for example actually plays riffs, while Diagnose: Lebensgefahr or shittier Sunn O))) just use it as another piece of ambience.

Does it matter how far the guitar is prominent though? As long as the riffs are metal, despite how slow and fucked up, does it matter if it's far buried under bass vibrations?

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:04 am 

Durandal1717 wrote:
Witcher wrote:

Speaking of this, Electro Hippies were also rejected. Yes they have a strong crust/grind sound, but very heavily rooted in thrash; crossover for the most part. The guitarist was also in Metal Duck and other crossover bands, though this was the only to utilize blastbeats. If the album wasn't thrashy enough I have some more material that could be acceptable.

As for my 2 cents on drone, I think that it's metal more often than not, but a very thin line. Just as how this supposed 3rd wave of black metal frequently crosses over into more experimental music, such as noise, ambient, etc., such as the entire AWP catalogue for example, so does drone. But the difference between noise/ambient is the guitar playing riffs instead of just atmospheric shit. Earth for example actually plays riffs, while Diagnose: Lebensgefahr or shittier Sunn O))) just use it as another piece of ambience.

Does it matter how far the guitar is prominent though? As long as the riffs are metal, despite how slow and fucked up, does it matter if it's far buried under bass vibrations?

Provide samples for Electro Hippies.

As for drone, it does matter. Being slow is not such a problem, but creating a psychedelic noise is. Those feedback orgies have nothing to do with metal. Riffs buried under bass vibrations are logically hardly metal.

SitraAhra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:18 am 

ELECTRO HIPPIES always were a punk band.Its easy to notice by listening samples on MySpace yes,EH have that early Grindcore feeling but its punkish.

Demenekan
Deathless in Spiritual Evil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:21 am 

Witcher wrote:
Demenekan wrote:

--------

When the change in name is complete, then a new page is made. Otherwise there are no written rules, but in cases of sole name modifications, there is no reason to make a separate page. It was explained here countless time.

There is no definitive solution applicable on all cases.
Simply submit such bands only when they completely change their name.

The Kovenent have also modified their musical style, so in that case, two pages are good solution.

Thanks for the clarification.
Rise up against the enslaver

White_Witch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:25 am 

Why was Dehuman rejected? I submitted every bit of info the release has except for a scan of the front cover.

EDIT: I left the scan for later as I thought seems how the members are fairly well respected in Australia, being from Psychrist and Infinitum, you would trust my submission. There is only small amounts of info about them as they split up roughly a year after the recording. The Infinitum bio on their personal web page states the existence if you need something like that.

I own the release which is definitely death metal. I've never submitted a band before and only did this for your benefit and the users here. I don't need the info, I've got the release. Just trying to help get the Encylopeadia to be more complete.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by White_Witch on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:41 am 

White_Witch wrote:
except for a scan of the front cover.

This is the most important, proof of physical release.

White_Witch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:45 am 

Fanfarigoule wrote:
White_Witch wrote:
except for a scan of the front cover.

This is the most important, proof of physical release.

So I wasted my time trying to help.

One question, if I scan it, does that mean I need to host the pic?

Also please re-read above post from me.

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:02 am 

At first, I thought you were talking about the Dehuman from Belgium.

White_Witch wrote:
I left the scan for later as I thought seems how the members are fairly well respected in Australia, being from Psychrist and Infinitum, you would trust my submission.

How good or respected the bands are does not matter at all.

You have to include the hosted picture in your submission, that is important. If you have a digital camera, you can take a picture like this one:
http://i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/f6/89/d1d9_1.JPG
It's better than a scan.
And a sample to prove the band's metalness is a plus, but maybe not mandatory is this case.
White_Witch wrote:
So I wasted my time trying to help.

Maybe you wouldn't have if you bothered reading the rules and the reminder on the submission page.

White_Witch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:14 am 

There are plenty of releases on the archives with no picture of them. For example http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=73837 Not to mention it doesn't even mentioned the times.
I've read the rules about 15 times.
Also if it is so important why is it not marked in italics as a mandatory thing?
A little confusing as it seems lieghway is given in some circumstances. If anyone actually bothered checking the Infinitum bio you would get extra validation. http://www.infinitum.us/main.php?p=biography
Also, there are bands on here with such minimal info I'm boggled that you don't trust my submission.
Just a side note that I've witnessed them live also.

I will scan the pic later but I'm upset at the lack of trust. It doesn't benefit me in anyway to have them included.

I don't like the idea of having to upload samples of a limited release promo that I'm sure is not circulating on the net, which is a good thing if you ask me. So is there still a point in scanning the pic? I'm not uploading samples.

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:37 am 

White_Witch wrote:
There are plenty of releases on the archives with no picture of them.

Yes, of course. But in your case the band is very obscure and they are very few infos on the net. So, it's up to you to show us sufficient proof.
You could also give us a link a distro that carries the release. Or if the band's MySpace page states "Demo available for $5" it's enough.

White_Witch wrote:
Also if it is so important why is it not marked in italics as a mandatory thing?
Quote:
The band must have already possess a physical release.

This is written on the band submission page and you have to prove it of course.

White_Witch wrote:
A little confusing as it seems lieghway is given in some circumstances. If anyone actually bothered checking the Infinitum bio you would get extra validation. http://www.infinitum.us/main.php?p=biography

Quote:
Dehuman was originally formed in around '93. Although they never recorded a complete album, they gained a similar reputation to Psychrist, and the two bands played together frequently.

Where does it say that Dehuman released something physically?

White_Witch wrote:
Also, there are bands on here with such minimal info I'm boggled that you don't trust my submission.

Don't take example on other entries. Just stick with your own.

White_Witch wrote:
I don't like the idea of having to upload samples of a limited release promo that I'm sure is not circulating on the net, which is a good thing if you ask me. So is there still a point in scanning the pic? I'm not uploading samples.

This wouldn't be requested anyway. But if a member upload an obscure demo/track it will stay between the submitter and the mod. It won't go anywhere else. To make it 100% private, you could send a pm to a mod with the link.

White_Witch wrote:
I will scan the pic later but I'm upset at the lack of trust. It doesn't benefit me in anyway to have them included.

It wasn't me who rejected the band. I just answered you in order to help you so that next time your submission can be validated. We have to do all this. If not, we can expect a flood of worthless entries.

White_Witch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:50 am 

Ok fine, but firstly, the promo was available in 2000. Limited to 100 copies, how long do you think that lasted in availability, 1 to two years tops. It's not available anymore unless you can get a trade or maybe find it on ebay.
Myspace didn't exist back then. I remember they had some samples on MP3.com years back but I had trouble finding them.
I fail to see how a cover proves it's validity. Really, anyone could just bullshit a cover.

And yes I should stick to my submission but Abortium is pissing me off. I tried to get rid of them a while back and failed, now I can't get a band (that's definitely real) on here when I submitted more info than they have.

Yeah it doesn't state they have a physical release but that isn't a dehuman bio. I have the release, I'm not dreaming it and it's not make believe metal.

Do I have to re-submit or is the info stored and I can just provide the scan here?

Anyway, thanks.

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:01 am 

The MySpace and distro things were just taken as an example for the nowadays average metal bands. I know it's not the case of Dehuman.
A cover does NOT prove a release's validity. But the following does:
http://i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/f6/89/d1d9_1.JPG
Yes, you can show it here and then resubmit the band with the infos you had put the first time.

White_Witch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:05 pm 

[img]Removed[/img] There you go.

White_Witch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:42 pm 

Thanks for accepting the submission.

Just one thing I fucked up and the times aren't there for the tracks.
How do I add the times? Sorry for all the questions.

Nevermind, I figured it out.

MMM88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:39 pm 

Why was Coctopus rejected ??

Their not that Metal but they are heavy enough to be on the archives, maybe some will reconsider them. This band has a clear Thin Lizzy/Motorhead vibe and the overall sound in my opinion is very close to Metal.

Listen to Song One & Mercenary..
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=94765558

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:50 pm 

MMM88 wrote:
Their not that Metal

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:53 pm 

Because they were not deemed being metal enough, as simple as that. No need to bring them up again, the decision has already been taken with the rejection.

MMM88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:32 pm 

Fanfarigoule wrote:
Because they were not deemed being metal enough, as simple as that. No need to bring them up again, the decision has already been taken with the rejection.

First of all.. I was expecting a response from one of the moderators and not you.. and clearly one of them did response and thats it!!. Secondly, I'm not bringing it up again, I was just trying to know what was reason behind the rejection. If they think that they dont belong here, so be it.. I have no problem with that.
But dont act like a fuckin judge..

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:37 pm 

I AM a moderator and don't piss me off.

MMM88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:44 pm 

Fanfarigoule wrote:
I AM a moderator and don't piss me off.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off..
"Not metal.. doesnt belong" that was the reason for the rejection I recieved in the mail, I posted a simple question.. after all thats why this thread was created in the first place.. and I was answered.

BlackFlag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:52 am 

Asylum (Ita) deleted. The demo isn't out yet. The band can be readded when it's out.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:32 pm 

MMM88 wrote:
"Not metal.. doesnt belong" that was the reason for the rejection I recieved in the mail, I posted a simple question

You needed to ask this question even after you said yourself that they weren't that metal?

Durandal1717
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:42 pm 

Here are some Electro Hippies samples, showing their thrash side.
http://www.4shared.com/file/52338778/ce ... d=901d8671
Well?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 208  Next