Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:01 am 

Hi, I'm sure this topic has been brought up before, but could I get details about why the Finnish gothic rock/metal band H.I.M. were rejected? I'm especially interested in the reasons why 'Venus Doom' was not judged a metal album. The others I can largely understand.

I tried searching for them in the thread, but their name is really annoying for that purpose.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:37 am 

Sorry, Cweed. I didn't think that one to the end, I suppose. What I meant to say is that the CD inlay you included was just a digital file in the sense of design/layout and not a photography of the actual product, just like Midnight Rider already explained.
I apologize for the inconvenience.

Starseeker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:52 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Hi, I'm sure this topic has been brought up before, but could I get details about why the Finnish gothic rock/metal band H.I.M. were rejected? I'm especially interested in the reasons why 'Venus Doom' was not judged a metal album. The others I can largely understand.

I tried searching for them in the thread, but their name is really annoying for that purpose.

Even on "Venus Doom" metal doesn't prevail. They remain mostly pop/gothic rock just like The 69 Eyes (early albums by the latter have completely the same sound as H.I.M.).

AncientAssault
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:12 am 

Hey!

I uploaded the images from the last Nexcoyotl's album as physical proofs.
If you need more information about the album Or some full track on YouTube,i can upload.

Here the samples album: https://onsp.bandcamp.com/album/madre-norte

Physical proof:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 5009696718

Kjotdukke
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:13 pm 

Id like to re-verify Livpest again, ill re-submit once the first album is complete or give more references to some of the stuff in the works to verify that Livpest is Metal and not Ambient.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:48 pm 

Kjotdukke wrote:
Id like to re-verify Livpest again, ill re-submit once the first album is complete or give more references to some of the stuff in the works to verify that Livpest is Metal and not Ambient.

Come back once the album is complete and then we'll see about reevaluating them.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Midnight Rider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:02 pm 

Starseeker wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

Even on "Venus Doom" metal doesn't prevail. They remain mostly pop/gothic rock just like The 69 Eyes (early albums by the latter have completely the same sound as H.I.M.).

Only staff members are authorized to answer an user question on this forum. Do NOT mini-mod, please.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:44 pm 

Dioramic: "unaccceptable metalcore - too much hardcore influence"

WHERE DO YOU HEAR CORE IN THE SAMPLES I GAVE YOU? I heard next to none, and if you did, then please, tell me how to recognize core.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:00 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

WHERE DO YOU HEAR CORE IN THE SAMPLES I GAVE YOU? I heard next to none, and if you did, then please, tell me how to recognize core.

LOL, yep, you heard next to none, which is exactly why you even put both deathcore and metalcore in their genre... And listening to this, if you actually don't hear the core in it, I don't know what to tell you... It is super obvious and clearly unacceptable.

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:20 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:
Sorry, Cweed. I didn't think that one to the end, I suppose. What I meant to say is that the CD inlay you included was just a digital file in the sense of design/layout and not a photography of the actual product, just like Midnight Rider already explained.
I apologize for the inconvenience.

No worries, buddy! Thank you!

magnus_alejo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:19 am 

Hi there

I tried to submit Plague of Carcosa but it's blacklisted... They have a digital "metal enough" release:

https://plagueofcarcosa.bandcamp.com/al ... -the-walls

Thanks in advance

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:41 am 

The american band Seraiah iscurrently blacklisted, presumably for being melodic hard rock. They really played that style on their second album , but on their demo soldiers Of Jehovah from 1988 and their first albm Carnival.. from 1990 they played heavy metal in the style of Stryper on The Yellow And Black attack , Bloodgood, Barren Cross and such band. So, could the band be white listed based on these two early releases?
http://gospeldownloadfree.blogspot.com/ ... metal.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByIDYhNAKho
seraiah rise up
seraiah rise up

Faceward
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:17 am 

"E-an-na" is said to be blacklisted. I've not found it in this topic. The reason for blacklisting is unclear. It's obliously folk metal, and they have physically released EP, as well as bandcamp page.

https://e-an-na.bandcamp.com/album/jiana - EP

Probably the band has not have this EP at time of initial submission.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:46 am 

^ viewtopic.php?p=2700504#p2700504

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:57 am 

Faceward wrote:
"E-an-na" is said to be blacklisted. I've not found it in this topic. The reason for blacklisting is unclear. It's obliously folk metal, and they have physically released EP, as well as bandcamp page.

https://e-an-na.bandcamp.com/album/jiana - EP

Probably the band has not have this EP at time of initial submission.

Blacklist note: "Submitted as "Folk Metal/Deathcore" - it's basically folk/core without metal riffing, even by lax folk metal standards"
-> I agree. Only minor metal moments.

Witcher wrote:
The american band Seraiah iscurrently blacklisted, presumably for being melodic hard rock. They really played that style on their second album , but on their demo soldiers Of Jehovah from 1988 and their first albm Carnival.. from 1990 they played heavy metal in the style of Stryper on The Yellow And Black attack , Bloodgood, Barren Cross and such band. So, could the band be white listed based on these two early releases?
http://gospeldownloadfree.blogspot.com/ ... metal.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByIDYhNAKho
seraiah rise up
seraiah rise up

The rejection note says:
"Definitely metal in this, a lot of pure heavy metal tracks. But also a lot of non-metal. We've had around six mods involved in this and the majority is a "no"."
That was in late 2017 and based on the releases you suggested, so I think there's no need for a re-vote on it.

magnus_alejo wrote:
Hi there

I tried to submit Plague of Carcosa but it's blacklisted... They have a digital "metal enough" release:

https://plagueofcarcosa.bandcamp.com/al ... -the-walls

Thanks in advance

Blacklisted for being Noise/Drone. While the latest release has some riffing in it, it's just one song (even if it counts as an EP length-wise) and we prefer full-lengths + given the rather raw production, the blacklist stays for now. If they release a full-length in that style or a few more EPs, they might be worth a second (or third actually...) look.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:33 am 

Starseeker wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

As MR said, please refrain from responding to inquiries like that. When it comes to questions of "metalness", this thread is strictly for people to ask and mods to answer.

As for the album, I did casually check it out yesterday and was surprised at the metal elements. Sounds like it's probably just that, though, as opposed to a full-blown metal album. But I'll have another listen.

AncientAssault wrote:
Hey!

I uploaded the images from the last Nexcoyotl's album as physical proofs.
If you need more information about the album Or some full track on YouTube,i can upload.

Here the samples album: https://onsp.bandcamp.com/album/madre-norte

Physical proof:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 5009696718

I have whitelisted this one for reevaluation. Please include those links when you resubmit the band.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:01 pm 

Storm of the Light's Bane wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

LOL, yep, you heard next to none, which is exactly why you even put both deathcore and metalcore in their genre... And listening to this, if you actually don't hear the core in it, I don't know what to tell you... It is super obvious and clearly unacceptable.

Well maybe I need to seriously review my definition of core. It would be helpful if you put something in the site rules maybe about what you define as too much core, like musical characteristics, etc. Just sayin’.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:12 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Well maybe I need to seriously review my definition of core. It would be helpful if you put something in the site rules maybe about what you define as too much core, like musical characteristics, etc. Just sayin’.

Stuff that is more based in Hardcore and punk than in Metal...
From our rules:
Quote:
"Metalcore and Deathcore, unless it's clearly more metal than core (e.g. Shadows Fall, The Red Chord, All Shall Perish are OK: Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, Bullet For My Valentine, Between the Buried and Me, Suicide Silence are NOT). If you are uncertain, best avoid metalcore bands altogether."

Maybe listening to those examples gives you a better idea.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:30 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

Stuff that is more based in Hardcore and punk than in Metal...
From our rules:
Quote:
"Metalcore and Deathcore, unless it's clearly more metal than core (e.g. Shadows Fall, The Red Chord, All Shall Perish are OK: Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, Bullet For My Valentine, Between the Buried and Me, Suicide Silence are NOT). If you are uncertain, best avoid metalcore bands altogether."

Maybe listening to those examples gives you a better idea.

I mean CHARACTERISTICS, like too much breakdowns, etc! Ah, forget it. I just won’t even bother with core bands in the future.

perzine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:41 am 

Azmodes wrote:
perzine wrote:
Can Dead (Melbourne) be whitelisted on the basis of the higher metalness quotient on the latest EP?

https://weemptyrooms.bandcamp.com/album ... -hog-dance

Doesn't sound conclusive either way. Also, I dislike the whole "is it acceptable now? how about now? and now?" thing whenever a blacklisted band drops a new borderline single or EP, citing things like metal quotients and percentages. Better to report back when there's a clearcut full-length or at least a string of shorter releases that show a consistent trend.

Noted. And, for the record, if I thought it was borderline, I wouldn't have made the post. Sorry to break your back there.

SFD_DSBM
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:11 am 

I recently got rejected when I tried to upload this band. The reason is, someone else already uploaded this band and they are on the queue list. Nevertheless, I am the one who created this band and, with all due respect, I think it should be me getting approved to upload my own band's material.

I created Winter Dynasty. I hope this is taken into consideration.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:44 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
I mean CHARACTERISTICS, like too much breakdowns, etc! Ah, forget it. I just won’t even bother with core bands in the future.

No you suggested we should add something about what we define as too much core and gave "musical characteristics" as an example of that "something".
Instead of writing paragraphs on musical theory, we link to bands that are good examples for both sides of the fence, since that's easier for us and the user (I think...at least I found it very helpful in my early days...).
The only thing we WANT in order to list a band is metal riffing to be the key stone (the dominant aspect) of at least one album. That's your characteristic.
In unacceptable core there is (usually) lots of rhythmic and bouncy guitar wankery and chugging that derived from punk/hardcore and not much actual riffing that's based on metal. The easiest way to get a hang of what's on which side of the fence is by actually listening to stuff...

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:19 am 

So about Venus Doom, I gave it a more thorough listen yesterday and I'd say it's like 50/50. There's a good amount of gothic/doom riffs and when it's metal it's metal without a doubt, if get my drift. Nevertheless, these elements don't appear to consistently carry the release, there's still a lot of modern gothy rock in there (which is closer to their main sound, I assume; not that I'd know exactly since I'm almost completely unfamiliar with their stuff). Too much to make it "the ticket", in fact. Paganius agreed with that assessment. So that's a no. For what it's worth, let the record show that this is quite decent stuff.

perzine wrote:
Azmodes wrote:
perzine wrote:
Can Dead (Melbourne) be whitelisted on the basis of the higher metalness quotient on the latest EP?

https://weemptyrooms.bandcamp.com/album ... -hog-dance

Doesn't sound conclusive either way. Also, I dislike the whole "is it acceptable now? how about now? and now?" thing whenever a blacklisted band drops a new borderline single or EP, citing things like metal quotients and percentages. Better to report back when there's a clearcut full-length or at least a string of shorter releases that show a consistent trend.

Noted. And, for the record, if I thought it was borderline, I wouldn't have made the post. Sorry to break your back there.

Thanks for noting and don't worry about it. This thread sometimes brings out my crankier side. :)

SFD_DSBM wrote:
I recently got rejected when I tried to upload this band. The reason is, someone else already uploaded this band and they are on the queue list. Nevertheless, I am the one who created this band and, with all due respect, I think it should be me getting approved to upload my own band's material.

I created Winter Dynasty. I hope this is taken into consideration.

There are no official or unofficial pages on MA, nor do bands automatically own their respective entries. This is an impartial database anyone can contribute to and in your case someone else who found out about the band just happened to be faster. If the other submissions gets approved, you are free to make reports if there are any errors or gaps in the entry.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:52 pm 

Was wondering why Iah from Argentina was black listed. Sounds like a mix of Stoner and Post Metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVKjVmocOso

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:06 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Was wondering why Iah from Argentina was black listed. Sounds like a mix of Stoner and Post Metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVKjVmocOso

Sounds more like a mix of Stoner and Post-Rock for the most time, which is also the reason why they are blacklisted. There is Metal, but there's way more softer and rockier stuff going on.

khvsa
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:45 am 

Hi,
Pnakotic Fragments (Finland) got rejected for not having a proper release, but there is in several formats:
CD: https://imgur.com/a/iRbmf76
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/pnako ... 1440961781
(as well as the Spotify release and Youtube version)

Hope this helps and the band might be reconsidered into the archive. Thanks.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:36 am 

Please resubmit with those links included.

EdaCesar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:36 pm 

The band Sunrunner, that was blacklisted in 2014, released a new album last year.
This one was already physically released in Europe and contains predominantly Metal characteristics.

Check out:
https://scontent.fbjp1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5CB91226
https://scontent.fbjp1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5CB91049

Full album:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/inwsvj58vukt7 ... oVdZhzCwgI

Do you think thats enought to accept the band in the site?

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:02 am 

I think Earth Crisis deserves an assessment on account of their first and latest albums, especially their debut. If you ask me, it's as much Groove Metal as it is Metalcore:

Their last couple albums have a fair share of Groove elements in their music, especially "To the Death" and "Salvation of Innocents".

Grekis11
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:06 am 

Crooked Horns is blacklisted due to not being metal.
This decision was made a couple of years ago, presumably around 2013 when the first demo was released. Granted, the first demo was more rockoriented with subtle hints of darker tones and with growls, but the sound has changed with the second demo (and ever more so now).
Since Crooked Horns are about to release an album in the coming months I would like this decision to be revaluated.

First demo (more rock than metal): https://open.spotify.com/album/5t8Y3uUH7h4CjJ8PX9OwvX
Second demo (more metal-influenced than the previous demo): https://open.spotify.com/album/2tmm3b5mPk3Gc2coxHFLUn

Also, I could send samples from the upcoming album to justify that it is indeed metal.

Keep up the good work.

Dickpenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:54 am 

Hi,
I'd like to propose the currently blacklisted "Hundred Year Old Man" for reconsideration.

I know they are on the edge to Post-Hardcore, but would still insert them as Doom/Post-Metal. It's mostly the vocals that don't fit.

https://hundredyearoldman.bandcamp.com/track/black-fire-2

No biggie if you see it differntly.

Best regards

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:02 am 

We'll look at Earth Crisis.

Grekis11 wrote:
Crooked Horns is blacklisted due to not being metal.
This decision was made a couple of years ago, presumably around 2013 when the first demo was released. Granted, the first demo was more rockoriented with subtle hints of darker tones and with growls, but the sound has changed with the second demo (and ever more so now).
Since Crooked Horns are about to release an album in the coming months I would like this decision to be revaluated.

First demo (more rock than metal): https://open.spotify.com/album/5t8Y3uUH7h4CjJ8PX9OwvX
Second demo (more metal-influenced than the previous demo): https://open.spotify.com/album/2tmm3b5mPk3Gc2coxHFLUn

Also, I could send samples from the upcoming album to justify that it is indeed metal.

Keep up the good work.

That second demo sounds fine. Feel free to send me samples from the album (email in my profile). Thank you.

EdaCesar wrote:
The band Sunrunner, that was blacklisted in 2014, released a new album last year.
This one was already physically released in Europe and contains predominantly Metal characteristics.

Check out:
https://scontent.fbjp1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5CB91226
https://scontent.fbjp1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5CB91049

Full album:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/inwsvj58vukt7 ... oVdZhzCwgI

Do you think thats enought to accept the band in the site?

Yes. Whitelisted.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:24 am 

Azmodes wrote:
We'll look at Earth Crisis.

After a couple of mods chipped in on this, the verdict is that while there are some quite metallic albums (IMO Salvation of Innocents in particular from those I've listened to), it's still first and foremost hardcore releases by a hardcore band.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:44 am 

Dickpenis wrote:
Hi,
I'd like to propose the currently blacklisted "Hundred Year Old Man" for reconsideration.

I know they are on the edge to Post-Hardcore, but would still insert them as Doom/Post-Metal. It's mostly the vocals that don't fit.

https://hundredyearoldman.bandcamp.com/track/black-fire-2

No biggie if you see it differntly.

Best regards

Whitelisted for re-eval. No guarantees.

adl666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:06 am 

Hallo, I know it is one of my bands and I know not all of it it's metal, but I would like you to reconsider A Kind Of Pigeon in.

https://leperwithoutacause.bandcamp.com ... -of-pigeon (listen tracks 1, 6 and 8, which are most-metalesque ones).

As for the existence of the cassette format, here's a picture of it.

https://i.ibb.co/9gy717C/IMG-20190203-145925-2.jpg

Let me know if the band could be unblacklisted. Have a nice day.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:49 am 

adl666 wrote:
Hallo, I know it is one of my bands and I know not all of it it's metal, but I would like you to reconsider A Kind Of Pigeon in.

https://leperwithoutacause.bandcamp.com ... -of-pigeon (listen tracks 1, 6 and 8, which are most-metalesque ones).

As for the existence of the cassette format, here's a picture of it.

https://i.ibb.co/9gy717C/IMG-20190203-145925-2.jpg

Let me know if the band could be unblacklisted. Have a nice day.

It's not blacklisted it was just rejected because you didn't provide any proof (read the rejection message).
Feel free to resubmit with those links attached (maybe some more photos won't hurt), but only if you think that album is pre-dominantly metal, I doubt 3 songs from a 9-track album will make it acceptable.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:19 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
So about Venus Doom, I gave it a more thorough listen yesterday and I'd say it's like 50/50. There's a good amount of gothic/doom riffs and when it's metal it's metal without a doubt, if get my drift. Nevertheless, these elements don't appear to consistently carry the release, there's still a lot of modern gothy rock in there (which is closer to their main sound, I assume; not that I'd know exactly since I'm almost completely unfamiliar with their stuff). Too much to make it "the ticket", in fact. Paganius agreed with that assessment. So that's a no. For what it's worth, let the record show that this is quite decent stuff.

I'm not awfully surprised that HIM won't make it onto the Archives, but a little shocked if that's the first time they've been seriously considered. I've been jamming to that album since about '07 and it suddenly crossed my mind. Anyway, it's cool stuff, just a bit sad I can't write a review for it on here.

The_Vlad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:23 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ne ... 3540449188 has been staying in the limbo for way too long. They are going to support Vio-lence on their comeback show, is it metal enough please? ;)

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:43 pm 

The_Vlad wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Negative_Sixxx/3540449188 has been staying in the limbo for way too long. They are going to support Vio-lence on their comeback show, is it metal enough please? ;)

Be patient. The queue dates back to early January and you complain about a band that's barely a week old. We'll get to it eventually.
Also you didn't even provide samples of the music.....

The_Vlad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:43 pm 

Yeah I know, but I submitted 2 bands on the same day. One was accepted quickly, the other stays in the limbo. The Vio-lence show is 2 months ahead though ;) Here are the samples: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... QRM46lWaJM

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 530, 531 ... 541  Next