Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Midnight Rider
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:07 pm
Posts: 400
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:55 pm 
 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
PaganiusI wrote:
Blacklisted as Nu-Metal/Core in 2016. Feel free to prove us wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRyxN8OOwsI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4wusukmXHU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWtu9EfKBEg

Just a few songs. Core, yes, maybe, but nu-metal? Definitely not.

Nope, I've listened to the full album and the blacklist is on point.

This is very based on Metalcore (to be specific: the unacceptable kind of Metalcore) + Nu-Metal (early Papa Roach perhaps) with some post-hardcore influence and very scarce metal riffs which are such a minority on the whole album that the band itself can't be considered "metal".

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Some music is just universally classified as a genre, you know. “Musical influence” be damned; metal is an ever-changing genre and why should it continue to be defined by the same narrow characteristics? Unlocking the Truth is unanimously classified as metal, even though they might not draw all their influence from what you consider “metal”. Musical characteristics alone don’t define a band. Soundgarden is on this site, and they are unanimously considered a grunge/alt rock band. Doom metal my ass! If we don’t accept the fact that metal can develop new characteristics and be modernized, then the genre will never move forward as much as it can.

This site has rules. A band needs to have a single unambiguously metal album to be accepted on this site. And we, -staff members of the site- make our own judgment about the music.

About Soundgarden: The Stoner/Heavy Metal side comes from the pre-Superunknown albums. [1], [2], [3]

Blacklist stays.

Top
 Profile  
Witcher
Metal freak

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:27 am
Posts: 6080
Location: Czech Republic
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:16 pm 
 

Derigin, my post was in no way meant as a personal attack towards Paganiusi. But since I am not a mind reader, I could not see , if the post was not reviewed by multiple moderators or just him, and his second sentencesuggested, that there was still some evaluation in the going. In fact, I highly value his help in the "possible Nobody answered me about it, insted I was told to stop. That's partially why I made my suggestion. Of course I disagree with the result, but if it is really a decision of mltiple mods, there is hardly anything I can dot about it
But my complaint about the speed of aanswering questioncomes from more than just the case of this band, but from an experience in this thrad, which lasts longer than one year. I had to repost every second band multiple times, before the answer came. all that wile cclinging to the weekly periodicity, but when I allow myself, taught by this experience, to bump a band sooner than in a week, there is suddenly an uuproar? Think a bit about it. To it cones , that a user active in this thrad recently asked me, what I think about the speed of answering questions and work in the queue as a former moderator . I was careful in my response, but I decided to ask about it on the forum, sooner or later. Theat was another motivation abehind my question. It is exactly because I was also a moderator in the past and know the system behind the site, that it find it double frustrating, that I would probably do.
The users, aside from the minority of label representatives, are also mainly unpaid volunteers, fir which band submissions are a hodbby and who dedicate their free time in hhelping to improve the site. every coin has two sides.
But seeing as you bring up the phrases like_volunteering" , "we know best, what we do" " we cannot be servants to our userrs" , it is really questionableif it has any sense to complaint here about anything. You either will make it a personal attack against some staff member, or use the custom tactics for getting a user , who brings up unpleasant or annoing questions silenced. A tactics , which will never fail, since you are in a position of an advantage, since you are in the position of powr and can easily ban me, if you want to. But the problems , which I have addressed , wil not disappear, even if you will stop or silence me by whichever method you choose. You once told me , that the site has improved. In regards to ppoliteness of the staff, largely yes. In the cooperation of the mods, also. But in the stubborness of the staff and some of its prejudices, no way.
for the record, I an not religious at all , I listen to the christian metal bands solely for their music. But , as wassaid on this forum , ideology shuld not matter and the band is musically certainly not shittymbut a good eighties sounding melodic metal/hard rock. band, their ideology fully aside. I culd also complain about shitty nsbm and dubious borderline rac "metal" bands staining the facade of the database for hours, but do you see me doiding that aside from this post? Please be reasonable
.


Last edited by Witcher on Thu May 09, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9807
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:46 pm 
 

[puts on bad cop hat]

Am I seeing this right? The ex-staff member most notorious for being among the rudest we've had back then, is complaining about staff attitude because we don't respond to his endlessly entitled complaining? Complaints that hardly anyone else is making lately?

Yeah, no. Enough.

The only thing I'll suggest is that mods can probably edit answered posts with a link to their replies (maybe make it in brightly coloured font or something), or perhaps a sub-forum dedicated to appeals, making it easier for other mods to see what was answered and which queries are still pending. But honestly, the reason why your queries may fall through the cracks isn't so much due to a systemic problem with staff, but simply because, as Derigin said, no one cares that much about re-evaluating the 23th Stryper clone, let alone deal with more pushback when they do respond.

Now that's enough about this subject of the appeals queue. Consider this "silencing" if you will, but I will call it what it is, which is: get back on topic, or else.
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
Terrion666
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:32 pm
Posts: 56
Location: Spain
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:48 pm 
 

Why Ærekær from Denmark is blacklisted? The first album is more dungeon-synth oriented but the second one is Atmospheric Black Metal

https://aerekaer.bandcamp.com/album/avindskjold

Thanks!

Top
 Profile  
Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm
Posts: 5711
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:21 pm 
 

For those reasons and because the new album just came out yesterday so you're the first person to ask about it. My personal feelings is that this still doesn't make the cut, but seeing as how I'm not the best with fuzz/noise black metal I'm gonna white list this and let the queue decide. Go ahead and resubmit.
_________________
Man is truly a wretched thing, and the forest is committed to expunging him from existence.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Top
 Profile  
Terrion666
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:32 pm
Posts: 56
Location: Spain
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:33 pm 
 

Thanks!

Top
 Profile  
Lissart
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:39 pm
Posts: 78
Location: Land Where Sympathy Is Air
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:25 am 
 

What is the problem with Lice? I dont see any other submission of the band in the queue. And it hasnt been accepted either, so I'm pretty confused.

Top
 Profile  
PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:49 pm
Posts: 1102
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:58 am 
 

Lissart wrote:
What is the problem with Lice? I dont see any other submission of the band in the queue. And it hasnt been accepted either, so I'm pretty confused.

The other submission got rejected because the band is post-rock/blackgaze, not predominantly metal
_________________
!Low-Life Arrogance!
~Feel free to visit: Blog - Heavy Metal Rarities - Last.FM - Shop~
~Live young, die free~

Top
 Profile  
Lissart
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:39 pm
Posts: 78
Location: Land Where Sympathy Is Air
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:35 am 
 

Post-rock? Have you guys listened to the entire thing at least? There are 4 clear black metal cuts on there. I agree the 2 closing tracks are pretty experimental and not wholly metal, but geez, just listen to Level Below or Towards Reality. Black metal fury with eerie journeys into the unknown.

Top
 Profile  
0th
Suicidal Angel

Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:59 pm
Posts: 168
Location: China
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:33 am 
 

I just listened to the full album, I can hear some metal riffs, but it is like what you said: they are just black metal cuts. As a whole, it is more post-rock than metal.

Top
 Profile  
TheDonsz
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:39 pm
Posts: 3
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:39 am 
 

I want to make a complaint about the fact that every single Deathcore band I submit gets rejected because they are "not metal enough" but when I look up bands like Thy Art Is Murder, Whitechapel, Carnifex and Within Destruction they are on her? I don't know but that's Deathcore in its purest form. I wanna know why those bands got accepted on this site but all the others I tried not. I tried a band called Monochromatic Black and they define themselves as Prog Death, but according to the moderators it's Hardcore? I don't know, but that can't be right. Can someone explain to me why certain Deathcore bands get accepted and others not.
Thanks in advance

Sam

Top
 Profile  
MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 12:12 am
Posts: 3317
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:47 am 
 

TheDonsz wrote:
I want to make a complaint about the fact that every single Deathcore band I submit gets rejected because they are "not metal enough" but when I look up bands like Thy Art Is Murder, Whitechapel, Carnifex and Within Destruction they are on her? I don't know but that's Deathcore in its purest form. I wanna know why those bands got accepted on this site but all the others I tried not. I tried a band called Monochromatic Black and they define themselves as Prog Death, but according to the moderators it's Hardcore? I don't know, but that can't be right. Can someone explain to me why certain Deathcore bands get accepted and others not.
Thanks in advance

Sam

So MA's take is that deathcore is a mix of death metal (a metal genre) and metalcore/hardcore punk (predominantly punk genres). We want to include deathcore bands that we evaluate to be more metal than punk, while excluding those that are more -core than metal - not because we don't like them, but to keep the content of the database cohesive.

Aside from Within Destruction, whom I'm not familiar with and can't speak to, those deathcore bands you mention are all only on the website for specific releases which may not be what they are most well known for. Thy Art Is Murder is only accepted because of The Adversary, Whitechapel is primarily listed because of The Somatic Defilement, and Carnifex is mostly only on the website for their material on Hell Chose Me and onward. By our standards, those bands' other albums aren't predominantly metal. Because of this, it's not advisable to use an entire band entry to assume that a band will be acceptable. Monochromatic Black are progressive deathcore, yes (perhaps listing "hardcore" first in the rejection message was a bit misleading, for that I apologize), but to me and the other mod who evaluated them, they sounded much more like later Whitechapel and not based in metal riffs. Regarding their self-description, bands may not always describe their genres accurately, or describe them in ways that align with our definitions on this site. Hope this makes sense.

Top
 Profile  
ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:27 pm
Posts: 182
Location: Argentina, Brazil
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:18 am 
 

What does Marginal (Belgium) blacklist note says?

https://marginalcrust.bandcamp.com/albu ... core-crust

More grind crust-punk sided than metal? Cheers :)
_________________
My abandoned projects:
Deathrall : Black Metal
GrindOfKaczka : Grindcore/Powerviolence
OpsiusCato wrote:
It's in my Goatfangs text.file
Hilarious stupid comment that MalconInTheMETAL wrote:
Everyone calls Black Sabbath heavy metal, but by today's standards they aren't at all

Top
 Profile  
Witcher
Metal freak

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:27 am
Posts: 6080
Location: Czech Republic
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:57 pm 
 

Witcher wrote:
joecubbie wrote:
Is the band Open Fire (US) that's blacklisted this band? Sounds heavy metal/hard rock in the vein of Slave to the Grind by Skid Row and Metallica's self titled to my ear. Here is their 1995 album, No Uncle of Mine.
"Can't Find My Way": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFBH4PGWWDg
"Takin' All My Money": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q52Db9R_AeY
"Judging the Book By the Cover": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIyxozOsjpo
"Soldier of Misfortune": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I_1IS9Ktfs
"Gone Away": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMgJTvsKFlg
"Nothin' Left to Lose": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW-h2AxRmjY
"Memory's Gone": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKyxZ01aKEg
"What's Buggin' Me": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnJO06p0DKY
"One Step Closer": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N51cWjcNZaM
"I Am the Killer": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcausYxB1Lo

I am reposting this, so it does not get los or forgotten. I have recently downloaded the full album and strongly feel, that the request has some merit and that the band would really deserve a reviewe i am reposting this from two pages back.

Top
 Profile  
NarKoFrozeNorth
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:43 am
Posts: 1
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:52 am 
 

I'd like to ask to reconsider the Alien Weaponry ban: judging from this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kwIkF6LFDc
I think they have earned a place here; also, they are releasing the second album so...

Top
 Profile  
PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:49 pm
Posts: 1102
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:31 am 
 

ᴎostalgiʞK wrote:
What does Marginal (Belgium) blacklist note says?

https://marginalcrust.bandcamp.com/albu ... core-crust

More grind crust-punk sided than metal? Cheers :)

Blacklist note says "Crustcore", the new albums seems to be in the same vein as the old stuff and sounds quite punky. Blacklist stays

joecubbie wrote:
Is the band Open Fire (US) that's blacklisted this band? Sounds heavy metal/hard rock in the vein of Slave to the Grind by Skid Row and Metallica's self titled to my ear. Here is their 1995 album, No Uncle of Mine.
"Can't Find My Way": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFBH4PGWWDg
"Takin' All My Money": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q52Db9R_AeY
"Judging the Book By the Cover": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIyxozOsjpo
"Soldier of Misfortune": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I_1IS9Ktfs
"Gone Away": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMgJTvsKFlg
"Nothin' Left to Lose": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW-h2AxRmjY
"Memory's Gone": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKyxZ01aKEg
"What's Buggin' Me": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnJO06p0DKY
"One Step Closer": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N51cWjcNZaM
"I Am the Killer": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcausYxB1Lo

Sounds pretty rock based and the blacklist note says "More rock than metal". Probably the same band and doesn't sound acceptable. Maybe 3 or max. 4 metal songs.

NarKoFrozeNorth wrote:
I'd like to ask to reconsider the Alien Weaponry ban: judging from this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kwIkF6LFDc
I think they have earned a place here; also, they are releasing the second album so...

nah, still groovy Hardcore.
_________________
!Low-Life Arrogance!
~Feel free to visit: Blog - Heavy Metal Rarities - Last.FM - Shop~
~Live young, die free~

Top
 Profile  
billm99uk
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:38 pm
Posts: 20
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:00 pm 
 

Have you any notes on why Sacred Grizzly Struggle and Hernia_44 (both Japan) were rejected please?

Not a complaint or appeal, just wanted to try and improve my musical classification and I'm not really sure what you think they actually are, other than 'not metal'.

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 10107
Location: Austria
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:22 pm 
 

"Modern hard rock/core" and "industrial nu-metal", respectively.
_________________
Last.fm | Goodreads | BOINC - Compute for science! || Stuff for sale on Discogs
Ludicus wrote:
Every day we stray further away from Tony Iommi.

Top
 Profile  
slanic
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:18 am
Posts: 1
Location: Czech Republic
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:32 am 
 

Dear Azmodes and co.,
there is a link for video from Apathy again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRsnmKVNCF4

there is an info link for something like bandcamp with music samples etc.
https://bandzone.cz/apathyagain
https://hardmusicbase.cz/index.php?stra ... pina=17818

and as an example there is a review of our record
http://www.echoes-zine.cz/recenze/apathy-again-mechanic


and some TV things here :)
https://www.tvrebel.cz/archiv/czechpara ... 15-2-2019/

With best regards
Slanic from Apathy again (Czech republic)

Top
 Profile  
ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:27 pm
Posts: 182
Location: Argentina, Brazil
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:44 am 
 

The post I made was a complete dog poop, so I'm making it again, sorry. Is there a possibility that this atmospheric ambient-black metal with REALLY post and -corish influences called Illyria may get accepted based on their new album?
_________________
My abandoned projects:
Deathrall : Black Metal
GrindOfKaczka : Grindcore/Powerviolence
OpsiusCato wrote:
It's in my Goatfangs text.file
Hilarious stupid comment that MalconInTheMETAL wrote:
Everyone calls Black Sabbath heavy metal, but by today's standards they aren't at all

Top
 Profile  
PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:49 pm
Posts: 1102
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:29 pm 
 

slanic wrote:
Dear Azmodes and co.,
there is a link for video from Apathy again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRsnmKVNCF4

there is an info link for something like bandcamp with music samples etc.
https://bandzone.cz/apathyagain
https://hardmusicbase.cz/index.php?stra ... pina=17818

and as an example there is a review of our record
http://www.echoes-zine.cz/recenze/apathy-again-mechanic


and some TV things here :)
https://www.tvrebel.cz/archiv/czechpara ... 15-2-2019/

With best regards
Slanic from Apathy again (Czech republic)

Easiest way to proof a CD exists is a photo and info on how to order it.
Just like this:
https://www.facebook.com/ApathyAgain/ph ... =3&theater
Include that facebook link and samples and resubmit.

ᴎostalgiʞK wrote:
The post I made was a complete dog poop, so I'm making it again, sorry. Is there a possibility that this atmospheric ambient-black metal with REALLY post and -corish influences called Illyria may get accepted based on their new album?

Fuzzy guitars don't make a black metal band. This still sounds like Shoegaze/Post-Hardcore with black metal-ish vocals.
_________________
!Low-Life Arrogance!
~Feel free to visit: Blog - Heavy Metal Rarities - Last.FM - Shop~
~Live young, die free~

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 537, 538, 539, 540, 541


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group