Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:40 am 

I’ll have to see if I have a couple more left in me. I’ve beaten my last record so that was pretty nice.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:03 am 

Daily Tally for Jun 6 2020
Total Reviews: 51 / 408
Total Virgin Reviews: 47 / 353
Percentage (VIRGINS/TOTAL): 92.2% / 86.5%

Participant List for Jun 6 2020
Total Participants: 25 / 77
Today's Totals per Individual:
Spoiler: show
Absinthe1979 = 1
Cat III = 2
deathmetal69_ = 3
Empyreal = 1
EzraBlumenfeld = 1
Feast for the Damned = 1
gasmask_colostomy = 7
GodOfMalice = 1
GuardAwakening = 1
hells_unicorn = 5
lukretion = 3
Metantoine = 2
MorbidAtheist666 = 1
NintenTheMetalhead = 1
PaganiusI = 1
Petrus_Steele = 1
plague_witch = 1
robotiq = 1
Sean16 = 1
severzhavnost = 3
Slater922 = 1
Syl Alba = 1
Tony Blackthrasher = 1
Twisted_Psychology = 5
Wilytank = 1

Did not participate this day:
ADeadlierSnake
autothrall
Axel666MoWi
Beast of Burden
burntcoffeereviews
Colonel Para Bellum
Cosmic Mystery
criscool623
DCA61112
Demon Fang
dfkman
duijffke
Edmund Sackbauer
EvilAllen
Film
GuntherTheUndying
HviteGuden
JackOfAllBlades
jjbinx321
kluseba
Kumorto
Lane
LarsA81
Liquid_Braino
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Mad Madame
Napero
Naught
NausikaDalazBlindaz
NeaSnow
nightbreaker33
Oliver731
oneyoudontknow
OrthodoxCandlegoat
Pale_Pilgrim
RapeTheDead
ReleaseTheBears
Riven Obyss
schuler
SmallPoxie
Spatupon
Sweetie
tankeblack
thefactorofdoom
TheNotrap
TheRisenOne
TheStormIRide
the_mosiah
vk66
we hope you die
XVII
Zodijackyl

Compared to the sixth day of the last challenge, both participants and virgins are down.

We had 5 new people join us yesterday. Welcome aboard.

Congrats on gasmask_colostomy for being today's leader with a respectable 7 reviews!

We're almost there at the finish line. Keep up the great work! \m/

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:12 pm 

That's it from me. I was surprisingly motivated at the start of the challenge, but have been fighting a headache and nausea for the past 4 days.
Good thing I wrote some more reviews at the start of the week that I only had to finish and proofread before publishing, so I got more than last time at least.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:23 pm 

Just did my secret satan, reckon that's enough for me this time.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:18 pm 

I only had time for one single review. Pretty bad quantity, but better than nothing.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:19 pm 

Might as well end things on a very high note. I'll keep the rest for later (but obviously, rewrite them during the next challenge).

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:50 pm 

And I'm pretty sure that was 25 for me, kinda waited until the end to finally get into a groove, but that's what happens when you get knocked down by a nasty migraine and lose 2 1/2 days out of a week. Next time I'll see if I can free up an entire week and better plan out the order of the albums I tackle, as this time I was basically going at random from a list of about 60 albums once I was able to stare at a computer screen for more than 2 seconds.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:03 am 

25 was my goal but I'm done with 17, that's fine. Managed to add to my NWOFHM series and I wasn't gonna let Twisted_Peacock review all those King Gizzard albums by himself.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

GodOfMalice
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:42 am 

This was my first time participating and I had a lot of fun going through Gut's discography for the challenge. One review a day seemed like a fun thing to try out but going through the same band over and over definitely took a toll on my commentary, I feel.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:24 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Twisted_Peacock

Isn’t that his sexy alter ego? Usually he’s all brains.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:12 am 

I don't even get that one but I also kinda love it.

Tapped out Sunday with 34 reviews. Not as high as I initially set out to do but still more than I'd ever done in a week before. I may need to pick some more engaging stuff next time but I was glad to find those discographies to play around with.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:53 am 

Even though I'm not gonna win this challenge. I still had a fun time reviewing albums, EPs, and demos that weren't reviewed. I plan on doing more reviews for the next challenge.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:11 am 

Daily Tally for Jun 7 2020
Total Reviews: 87 / 495
Total Virgin Reviews: 75 / 428
Percentage (VIRGINS/TOTAL): 86.2% / 86.5%

Participant List for Jun 7 2020
Total Participants: 36 / 87
Today's Totals per Individual:
Arjunthebeast = 2
autothrall = 2
CannibalCorpse = 1
Cat III = 1
criscool623 = 1
Demon Fang = 3
Derigin = 1
Einstruzende = 1
Empyreal = 2
EvilAllen = 1
Feast for the Damned = 5
Felix 1666 = 1
gasmask_colostomy = 7
GodOfMalice = 1
hells_unicorn = 11
kbeton = 1
lukretion = 1
Metal_On_The_Ascendant = 1
Metantoine = 2
MorbidAtheist666 = 6
Napalm_Satan = 1
oneyoudontknow = 1
PaganiusI = 3
Petrus_Steele = 4
plague_witch = 2
ReleaseTheBears = 1
robotiq = 1
Sean16 = 1
severzhavnost = 1
Slater922 = 1
SmallPoxie = 3
Syl Alba = 1
Thumbman = 1
Twisted_Psychology = 1
Xpyro125 = 1
XVII = 1

Did not participate this day:
Absinthe1979
ADeadlierSnake
Axel666MoWi
Beast of Burden
burntcoffeereviews
Colonel Para Bellum
Cosmic Mystery
DCA61112
deathmetal69_
dfkman
duijffke
Edmund Sackbauer
EzraBlumenfeld
Film
GuardAwakening
GuntherTheUndying
HviteGuden
JackOfAllBlades
jjbinx321
kluseba
Kumorto
Lane
LarsA81
Liquid_Braino
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Mad Madame
Napero
Naught
NausikaDalazBlindaz
NeaSnow
nightbreaker33
NintenTheMetalhead
Oliver731
OrthodoxCandlegoat
Pale_Pilgrim
RapeTheDead
Riven Obyss
schuler
Spatupon
Sweetie
tankeblack
thefactorofdoom
TheNotrap
TheRisenOne
TheStormIRide
the_mosiah
Tony Blackthrasher
vk66
we hope you die
Wilytank
Zodijackyl

Compared to the last day of the last challenge, participants are up, but virgins are down.

We had 10 new people join us yesterday. Welcome aboard.

Congrats on hells_unicorn for being today's leader with an impressive 11 reviews!

Fantastic work, everyone! \m/

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:12 am 

TOTAL VIRGINS: 428

On average, 87% of all reviews from the week were virgins! This is lower than the last challenge, which was at 94%.

We were down 153 reviews, but up 18 participants from the last challenge.

The 5th Diamhea Memorial Review Challenge was the second best challenge we've had since June 2017 and is one of only eight challenges that have cracked 400 total reviews. No new all-time records were broken, but we have seen the most new folks in this challenge than we have in years.

Participant List GRAND TOTALS
gasmask_colostomy = 50
Twisted_Psychology = 34
hells_unicorn = 25
MorbidAtheist666 = 21
Metantoine = 17
Feast for the Damned = 15
Sweetie = 14
GuntherTheUndying = 12
Petrus_Steele = 12
EvilAllen = 10
lukretion = 10
Naught = 10
PaganiusI = 9
SmallPoxie = 9
Demon Fang = 8
autothrall = 7
Sean16 = 7
Syl Alba = 7
XVII = 7
deathmetal69_ = 6
duijffke = 6
GodOfMalice = 6
Lord_Of_Diamonds = 6
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 6
plague_witch = 6
Absinthe1979 = 5
Cat III = 5
Slater922 = 5
criscool623 = 4
robotiq = 4
severzhavnost = 4
Zodijackyl = 4
Empyreal = 3
Liquid_Braino = 3
nightbreaker33 = 3
Oliver731 = 3
oneyoudontknow = 3
TheStormIRide = 3
Wilytank = 3
Arjunthebeast = 2
Beast of Burden = 2
burntcoffeereviews = 2
DCA61112 = 2
dfkman = 2
EzraBlumenfeld = 2
RapeTheDead = 2
ReleaseTheBears = 2
ADeadlierSnake = 1
Axel666MoWi = 1
CannibalCorpse = 1
Colonel Para Bellum = 1
Cosmic Mystery = 1
Derigin = 1
Edmund Sackbauer = 1
Einstruzende = 1
Felix 1666 = 1
Film = 1
GuardAwakening = 1
HviteGuden = 1
JackOfAllBlades = 1
jjbinx321 = 1
kbeton = 1
kluseba = 1
Kumorto = 1
Lane = 1
LarsA81 = 1
Mad Madame = 1
Metal_On_The_Ascendant = 1
Napalm_Satan = 1
Napero = 1
NeaSnow = 1
NintenTheMetalhead = 1
OrthodoxCandlegoat = 1
Pale_Pilgrim = 1
Riven Obyss = 1
schuler = 1
Spatupon = 1
tankeblack = 1
the_mosiah = 1
thefactorofdoom = 1
TheNotrap = 1
TheRisenOne = 1
Thumbman = 1
Tony Blackthrasher = 1
vk66 = 1
we hope you die = 1
Xpyro125 = 1

Congratulations gasmask_colostomy on 1st place, Twisted_Psychology on 2nd place, and hells_unicorn on 3rd place!

Individuals who participated for all 7 days:
Feast for the Damned
gasmask_colostomy
Metantoine
MorbidAtheist666
PaganiusI
Twisted_Psychology

Individuals who participated for 6 days:
Sean16

Individuals who participated for 5 days:
autothrall
Demon Fang
GodOfMalice
hells_unicorn
lukretion
NausikaDalazBlindaz
Petrus_Steele
Slater922
Sweetie
Syl Alba
XVII

The Hall of Fame has been updated. That was a fantastic challenge. See you at the next one in December 2020!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:31 am 

Damn, that’s a surprisingly large amount of people. Hopefully some of them are going to become better known around here. I really tried to be a bit more useful this time round and wrote a lot of requests, as well as a few things from my personal collection that have been neglected.

Derigin, I didn’t want to ask in the middle of the challenge, but were there any suggestions from last time that you wanted to use? I appreciated the front page post going up earlier (and feel it might have led to more participants), though I think the rest was the same.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:22 pm 

I admit this particular challenge was much the same as before. I am planning to implement new additions based on the advice so far for the December 2020 challenge, as that one is easier for me to adopt new things, just because of the time of the year. Unfortunately, despite the pandemic or maybe in spite of it, I was pretty swamped this week.

Among some of the new additions being brought in, I'll be doing the following:

• I'll be including a running total for everyone throughout the week, every day. This way people will know where they stand in relation to one another throughout the week, instead of just at the end of the challenge. I understand that some people like the surprise reveal when the challenge ends, but over the years I've seen more people remark that it'd make them more competitive if they knew where they stood, which could mean more virgins being reviewed for the challenge.
  • I'll be keeping note of what release types have been reviewed each day and by who. I'll use this data at the end of the challenge to point out who has reviewed the most of each type. I'm not inclined to do a new leaderboard, but I'm willing to try this out for now and see how it works.
  • I'll be keeping track of the virgin album that was most reviewed during the challenge. For instance, this time around it was In Flames' Clayman (Re-Recorded) which somehow got 4 reviews during the challenge.
  • I'll also keep track of what bands were virgin bands before they got a review, too. This might be neat information. Deflowered bands.
  • I'm open to including a "Most ______ Review" questionnaire that reviewers could use at the end of the challenge to point out which reviews throughout the challenge they feel fit certain categories (funniest, polarizing, cringeworthy, best, worst, etc.). That could be an informal process, with users replying with answers from the questionnaire if they so choose, as a way to help guide discussion. Not totally sold on this. Thoughts?

There's also some things I'm looking at changing, and would appreciate advice on, including the following:

• Getting rid of the "did not participate" list. This was originally kept to help me calculate the number of total participants each day, but in all honesty I don't really need it. I've kept it mostly for tradition at this point. I see no problem in getting rid of this bit of information.
  • I'm not entirely sure what to do with the "Secret Satan" aspect of the challenge. I feel like it has started to feel a bit dated, but, I'm not sure how best to improve it, replace it, or do something else with it. Suggestions are welcome here.

There are also some things I'm going to politely decline doing, though I appreciate the suggestions:

• I'm not inclined to do word counts on reviews. It sounds nice in theory, but in practice it would slow down the counting for me. I'm also not sure of the value from it; speaking from experience, length is a tough determiner of quality. Some of the best reviews on the site are short, while some of the worst are long. To me it's not so much length that creates quality, but what you have to say and how you go about saying it.
  • I'm also not entirely sure about tracking genres, for a few reasons. The first reason being that genres are tied to bands, not albums, and occasionally don't match every album in a band's discography perfectly. The second reason is that many bands have unique genres (some that are quite lengthy), and so the value of making general stats from it would be limited unless I generalized them. And lastly, not everyone agrees with the genre and I'd much rather not start fights or nitpicking over the genre I must choose to classify an album under. For these reasons, I'm leaning towards avoiding stats based on genres. My thoughts at least.
  • I think it's best to keep the single leaderboard going that we have already. I don't mind noting who has done what as far as release types go and other such data, and give a special call out to the person who did the most of a specific type, but the current leaderboard based on number of virgin reviews per day is what I feel is the most straight-forward way with the challenge.

Suggestions for more improvements are always welcome, of course.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:55 pm 

I remember during the last challenge we were in striking distance of breaking the old cumulative record, and I noted at the time that the main reason why we didn't was both a smaller number of individual participants, and also less of what I'd refer to as "moderate contributors", i.e. people who would review 10-20 albums as opposed to more than 40, which is what there tends to be on the upper end of the leader board. This challenge we basically had both of those weaknesses completely corrected, but we didn't have anybody doing an insane number of reviews to clinch the top spot. I think if we have another trio or quartet of reviewing madmen who are willing to try and break triple digits, alongside a massive overall turnout like this, we'll easily smash the old cumulative record.

I'm in agreement with every modification you're going to enact next time Derigin, we may want to modify the Secret Satan to be more of a general buddy system where maybe people can choose more than one album for their partner, but either way, I'm fine with whatever you decide. I may not participate in the Secret Satan next time if it is kept only because if I try to go nuts with reviewing albums I'll probably want to stick to albums that I've already heard before. That said, I enjoyed the album that Twisted_Psychology chose for me, and I definitely recommend that any thrash fans on the board check out Charonyx.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:41 pm 

Yeah, I like all of those and I think most were discussed last time. I’m fine with ruling out stats that are too time-consuming or insignificant to calculate as well. Doing informal polls at the end would be a fun way to have a discussion, since I feel the camaraderie of the challenge peters out quite fast after it finishes.

Maybe instead of the “Did not participate” list, you could do a preliminary list of the “Individuals who participated for X days” list, to keep track of who has contributed regularly. I’d suggest just keeping those on all days or who missed 1 day.

Last time, I mentioned that Secret Satan could be done openly, people picking an album and tossing it into this group for general review, sort of like a specific request thread for this challenge. For people who don’t know what to review, that would give them more material. It would obviously no longer be secret, so maybe we could call it Satan’s Sacrificial Circle or something.

Naught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:47 pm 

It was a fun event to participate in, and discovered a myriad of great bands, and musicians along the way to explore further. I think that I've gotten into a steady writing rhythm, and hope to submit reviews on a more consistent basis.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:48 pm 

I'm definitely all about having running totals over the course of the week. It instills a good sense of competition and I constantly count my total anyway.

As for the Secret Satan, I'm pretty good with it. I put all my focus on reviewing what I've already heard at least once but it's kinda nice to mix it up with one potential outlier. I think the biggest thing is to just take into consideration the taste of who you're paired with. Hell's recommendation wasn't quite in my usual wheelhouse but it was relatable enough for me to get a substantial review out of it so that was nice. And there was certainly satisfaction in seeing him enjoy Charonyx as much as he did.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:07 pm 

Only started Thursday, but actually participated every day since then which is unusual for me. Five may be a piffle to all you double-digiters, but it's good for me. In fact, I think it ties my previous record. I submitted more negative than positive reviews, covered the remaining Viscera Infest releases except one, got another Plasmatics under my belt, and was able to work in allusions to cosplayer Zach Scuderi, hoax erotic novel Naked Came the Stranger, Sesame Street, Autopsy (of course), Carnivore, and Detroit Rock City. I won't keep up this pace, but I think I can fit the occasional short review into my schedule.

GodOfMalice wrote:
This was my first time participating and I had a lot of fun going through Gut's discography for the challenge. One review a day seemed like a fun thing to try out but going through the same band over and over definitely took a toll on my commentary, I feel.

I was happy to see Gut finally made it on the archives. Now we just need Rompeprop and the Meat Shits and we'll have all the major porno bands.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:48 pm 

Naught wrote:
It was a fun event to participate in, and discovered a myriad of great bands, and musicians along the way to explore further. I think that I've gotten into a steady writing rhythm, and hope to submit reviews on a more consistent basis.

It was good to see you and a few other newer faces join in seriously. Although out of your 10 reviews, you have just 4 different scores: are those your favourite numbers or something? :-P

Cat III, I believe the Sloth that you reviewed also had a Simpsons reference in the title, so it really was a cultural experience for you! I also gave in to curiosity and wrote what will probably be my only ever review of Sloth.

plague_witch
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:14 pm 

I had a go. It was quite fun, I've never reviewed an album before until now - really made me think about what it is I am listening to, and also why. Learn by doing I guess.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:00 pm 

I’d been off reviewing for a couple years. Felt good to get back it and listen to some stuff I hadn’t tried yet :)
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Naught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:29 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Naught wrote:

It was good to see you and a few other newer faces join in seriously. Although out of your 10 reviews, you have just 4 different scores: are those your favourite numbers or something? :-P

Cat III, I believe the Sloth that you reviewed also had a Simpsons reference in the title, so it really was a cultural experience for you! I also gave in to curiosity and wrote what will probably be my only ever review of Sloth.

:wink: Figured I'd play it safe while getting a system down for scoring ha ha! Definitely planning on diversifying the scores in the future!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:36 pm 

didnt feel like participating this time but might return this december

ReleaseTheBears
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:39 am 

Two reviews is double my previous best for this challenge, so I'm happy with that! It also normally takes me several days to write one review, with lots of proofreading and editing, but I found that I could crank something out in a mere matter of hours and be happy enough with it, so it's good to know I can still write under pressure. I haven't completely lost the skill of last minute essay writing I "worked" so hard to get in university haha.

Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:24 am 

Well, it's been a pleasure to participate again after all these years. 7 is not a bad score for me at all, in fact, it must be one of my highest. Not having to tally the score helps writing more reviews, what a surprise.

We'll meet again in December I guess :)

Derigin, I don't know if you're interested, but I must still keep a few stats concerning the very first challenges somewhere - those for which the original forum threads were lost.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:03 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:

If there's a Simpsons reference in that title, it was unintentional, but cool to know. Don't blame you for not reviewing any more Sloth. I do have a positive Sloth review I'm planning on getting to.

(Forgot in my original comment: I also referenced mukbang, something I hope to never have to bring up again.)

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:28 pm 

I can't wait to get involved next time. I always miss out but I try to keep an eye on the threads to see how everyone's doing. Do you guys know when the next challenge is?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:04 pm 

Typically May/June and December. Check back in a few weeks and I'm sure Deri will have the next one up!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3