Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:07 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
The_Boss wrote:
What I quoted, that this is a challenge that some may interpret as "masturbatory" but in a sense it should be about being able to write these reviews in the amount of time while keeping up the standard that is held for writing reviews that people have come to be expected for.

The point which so many people seem to be missing is that imposing arbitrary restrictions which make it more difficult to write a quality review is detrimental to the potential quality of the review no matter what. Imagine a review written under the restrictions of this challenge that meets the reviewer's personal standards; then imagine that same review written without such time restrictions, where the reviewer has had time to think about it more, come back later and revise it, take the time to proofread and fact-check, listen to similar music for traces of influence, etc. The review would undoubtedly have been much better written outside of the challenge.

Fair enough, I see what you mean I suppose if it were a certain reviewer it would be different but oh well.

I do like the idea of where a moderator chooses a single (or two, three, whatever) reviews and people write a review and have reviewers go for the best review.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:11 pm 

Napero wrote:
Or we could provide the link by PM upon a request. Those with teh komputa skillz could find them themselves pretty easily, and the ones on the Napero level of internet intelligence could ask a dedicated provider for a download link. Also, using releases that are legally downlodable is a good solution (and gives me an idea on a good release for the thrash edition...).

I could deal with replying to those "link by request" PMs; in addition to any other means that people could use to find the album.

I'll PM you about this more.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10