Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:40 am 

Hi everyone, while the autumn leaves are falling I just thought it was time for us to think about the next edition of our little challenge. Most of you here probably know what it’s about, so I won’t detail for now (except if I’ve become a perfect alien for everyone, not impossible given I must have posted here thrice in three months ;)). Last time we more or less tacitly agreed end of November would be a good time, so here’s what I’m proposing so far:

Monday 24th to Sunday 30th

of course the aim of this first post is precisely to seek for a week likely to please most of us (because it’s impossible to please ALL of us), so there’s nothing set in marble so far.

And if there’s no one left interested in the Challenge, let’s forget about it :p (for newcomers I’ll explain later, don’t worry)

Last edited by Sean16 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:53 am 

I was wondering when another one of these would pop up. I would like to take part, even if I only review one album (I couldn't imagine doing more than three). I've been keen on starting a review career for a little while now, just trying to develop my ear to what is good and what isn't. I don't think I'm prepared yet, and that date is dauntingly close. However, I don't think I would be completely happy until next year, as far as reviewing is concerned and I know it won't be put back that far just for me.

Considering my very small amount of planned involvement, the date should come down to when the more experienced reviewers wish it to be. I'll be happy to do my small part, whatever the date. Just thought that I would post to show interest.

- Tim Minchin

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:57 am 

Since I'll be up north for part of this time I won't have anything better to do then write a whole bunch of reviews. Count me in, I guess.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Byrgan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:59 am 

I was thinking about this recently too. The only thing I can think of is Thanksgiving Day is on the Thursday here, but that is only one day. I'm game though, and I'm going to set aside some releases to write about.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:08 am 

I'm still burnt out from the last one, I did 11 that week and I think I've done two tops since then.

I'll be away from a computer from about the 27th, but I don't think I did many (maybe one) in the last three days anyway.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:13 am 

I'm sure I'll have some time in a rainy afternoon somewhere. Beating my previous record of 1 shouldn't be hard. Is it just going to be tailored to unreviewed releases again? Does it still count if you review something that has already been reviewed? My only minor quibble with these challenges is that they seem to encourage quantity over quality.

PS, insider knowledge tells me grimdoom is gonna win this one! Oop the grimdoom!

https://soundcloud.com/user-800688188/e ... nom-rockin - Eerie evaluation episode 2: a podcast discussing Venom.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:18 am 

This falls right after my exams so count me in.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:51 am 

I don't know what happened, but I've definitely been in a slump for a long time now. This might motivate me more to write some reviews again, so I'm definitely up for it.

Sean16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:51 am 

Fine, seems like some people are interested ;)

For the newcomers, here are the "rules":

The primary aim of the reviews challenge was to improve the site by writing as many reviews as possible for releases with no reviews so far (also known as beautiful virgins). Every sort of release listed on the MA counts, from singles to videos or boxed sets. Split albums count only once, regardless of how many bands are playing. If two people or more write a review for an album with no reviews, the album will be counted only once. However, all the people involved will share the glory.

Remember it’s a collective challenge before being an individual contest, meaning one or few reviews of high quality will always be preferred to a ton of borderline, one-paragraph reviews. The acceptance standards won’t be lower than usual anyway (well, this is the mods’ work, not mine). Everyone is welcomed, even for one single contribution. It can also help little-known reviewers to earn some credit here.

There will be no reward, except the self-satisfaction to have been helpful to the site, as well as the board’s eternal gratitude.

Every day I’ll update a list of the reviews written for virgin albums, so that everyone knows how many reviews are still to be written (the List is of course more than a simple list – it also works as a monument to the glory of MA reviewers). At the end of the Challenge I’ll also compile an individual list (number of reviews written / reviewer).

This time we’ll try to break the record from the last contest, meaning together we have to write 323 reviews for virgin albums. Yes, it’s quite high, but this wouldn’t be called “challenge” otherwise.

A few precisions now:

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Does it still count if you review something that has already been reviewed?

No. Reviewing virgin albums is the essence of the Challenge, sorry :)

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
My only minor quibble with these challenges is that they seem to encourage quantity over quality.

Unfortunately, there's little to be done about this. Just keep in mind this is a lesser evil, as most of the albums reviewed during the Challenge would have probably never got ANY review otherwise (i.e. a good review is better that a bare-bone review, but a bare-bone review is still better than no review at all).

Byrgan wrote:
Thanksgiving Day is on the Thursday here

Doesn't exist in my beautiful country :p

OlioTheSmall wrote:
even if I only review one album (I couldn't imagine doing more than three).

You're welcome. I'd rather see 10 good reviews by 10 different reviewers than 10 crappy reviews by the same reviewer.

Last edited by Sean16 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:01 am 

I'm in. Also, I'll reserve some extra time for the queue.

I'll have to browse my collection, but counting the singles there, I don't think I have more than 250 unreviewed releases, so I won't write more than that. :P

Thank you, Sean.

Sean16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:08 am 

Napero wrote:
Thank you, Sean.

You're welcome, my dear saunaholic. Nice to see you're ready to do your usual amazing job at the queue :thumbsup:

As far as I'm concerned, I'm already reserving the last Poisonblack release for myself... been a long time I haven't reviewed some gothic metal. Also, now they're on the Archives I might have a try at the most cretin band ever... NANOWAR!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:24 am 

I'm in, got a bunch of old Tarot and Nightmare albums to review.

Byrgan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:00 am 

Sean16 wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
My only minor quibble with these challenges is that they seem to encourage quantity over quality.

Unfortunately, there's little to be done about this. Just keep in mind this is a lesser evil, as most of the albums reviewed during the Challenge would have probably never got ANY review otherwise (i.e. a good review is better that a bare-bone review, but a bare-bone review is still better than no review at all).

I remember the last challenge had some decent reviews though. It is also a way to write outside of your normal parameters. I mean, part of the initial goal of the first one was because some reviewers were taking on the same albums, giving out the same scores.

Sean16 wrote:
Byrgan wrote:
Thanksgiving Day is on the Thursday here

Doesn't exist in my beautiful country :p

Hehe, true. It seems like as we're loaded with food, our European compatriots are going to be taking over for that day? :grin:

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:21 am 

Luckily there don't seem to be many people who just spam out shitty one paragraph reviews, hell most of the reviews tend to come out of like 2 people. Last time it was Noktorn and ...Caspian? maybe. But between them there was about 100 reviews, and they're both really good writers, so there's no problem there. Considering I got third highest with 11 (And I think I write alright reviews, they're certainly not brief), it shows that the feared problem of idiots making as many crappy reviews as possible doesn't seem to have occurred on any large scale yet.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:53 am 

Damn, I thought there weren't any reviews for Purple's Fireball. Drat and I thought I could find a full length I had something to say about. I might do some Motorhead and Saxon singles instead.

https://soundcloud.com/user-800688188/e ... nom-rockin - Eerie evaluation episode 2: a podcast discussing Venom.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:55 am 

Damn, I thought there weren't any reviews for Purple's Fireball. Drat and I thought I could find a full length I had something to say about. I might do some Motorhead and Saxon singles instead.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:12 am 

End of November sounds good...

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
http://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com/index.php/wiki/A_dead_spot_of_light
Some analysis on the metal scene (data taken from the Metal Archives):
http://oneyoudontknow.com

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:17 am 

I'm in! it's a weekly thing or a day in particular should still be chosen?

Sean16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:39 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Luckily there don't seem to be many people who just spam out shitty one paragraph reviews, hell most of the reviews tend to come out of like 2 people. Last time it was Noktorn and ...Caspian? maybe. But between them there was about 100 reviews, and they're both really good writers, so there's no problem there. Considering I got third highest with 11 (And I think I write alright reviews, they're certainly not brief), it shows that the feared problem of idiots making as many crappy reviews as possible doesn't seem to have occurred on any large scale yet.

Of course. The 'Gaunt and his vigilant squad of mods are still watching, fortunately. However, you may not remember the July 2007 Challenge when requiem99 (for the newcomers: once a respected reviewer here, who alas didn't end well) spammed the site with around 10 one-paragraph wonders. So it MAY happen.

And about the top writers... how could you forget hells_unicorn? shame on you! Just have a look below:

The MA Reviews Challenge Hall of Fame

General Challenge

May 2006: 75 reviews
November 2006: 110 reviews
February 2007: 231 reviews
July 2007: 239 reviews
December 2007: 274 reviews
May 2008: 322 reviews

Individual Challenge

May 2006: Drowned (10 reviews)
November 2006: Corimngul (9 reviews), 2nd Cianan (8), 3rd Peregrin (7)
February 2007: hells_unicorn (65 reviews, absolute record), 2nd erickg13 (17), 3rd Sokaris (15)
July 2007: hells_unicorn (38 reviews), 2nd oneyoudontknow (17), 3rd CannibalCorpse (16)
December 2007: hells_unicorn (56 reviews), 2nd Mors_Gloria (15), 3rd Mungo (9)
May 2008: Noktorn (55 reviews), 2nd hells_unicorn (52), 3rd lord_ghengis (12)

EDIT: CHRIST_NS_ANITY, the Challenge always lasts one whole week, from Monday at 00:00:01 to the following Sunday at 23:59:59

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:56 am 

Count me in. There are some beautiful German virgins (I'm thinking you, Unrest and Victory). Also, Sinner's new album has no reviews. So leave it all to me.

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:50 am 

Catachthonian wrote:
Count me in. There are some beautiful German virgins (I'm thinking you, Unrest and Victory). Also, Sinner's new album has no reviews. So leave it all to me.

Never say the intentions...someone could review them before you...:-P

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:07 pm 

Heh, count me in. I've wanted to be a regular reviewer here and being in this competition will probably help me develop my reviewing skills.

Last edited by Wet Pussy on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:15 pm 

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8 wrote:
Catachthonian wrote:

Never say the intentions...someone could review them before you...:-P

I was going to review them anyway. ;)

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:31 pm 

I'll be here for it hopefully. I always find certain reviews I plan on deflowering no matter what but something always happens and I never end up writing more than 5 reviews. I hope this time I get at least 10!

Let's also hope hells_unicorn is up for this and I'm sure Noktorn is (he always is it seems) because I want to see the epic battle again.

Nhorf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:02 pm 

Hm, I may review something, I'm planning to write about some portuguese underground releases, so count me in.

SepticTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:44 pm 

I'm going to get the absolute record this time or at least beat my old one.

Brutal death meets funeral doom - www.myspace.com/septictomb

MercyfulSatyr
Coelacanthine Cadaver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:53 pm 

I'm in. I've never done this before, so it'll be cool.

caspian wrote:
mercyfulsatyr: easily the most humble man on the board.

My reviews.

Sean16

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:51 pm 

Just one thing - I'm posting the thread in advance enough so that no one can say he wasn't aware, but this doesn't mean everyone has to rush to write as many reviews as possible during three weeks to post them all on Monday the 24th. Just respect the spirit of the Challenge - use these three weeks to choose your victims, listen to the albums, exercise your skills writing reviews for non-virgin albums and even write drafts and bits of reviews, but not too many entire reviews, please.

Remember there's nothing to win in the end, so no need to cheat :)

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:19 pm 

Oh shit, I was just thinking about this. Recently I've been working on more well-known albums, so switching back to obscure stuff will be a nice change. Got quite a few lined up...this time I'll probably focus more on USPM demos and Swedish HM, with maybe a little NWOBHM thrown in for good measure.

As for time, that week should be OK for me.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:06 pm 

I might contribute a few reviews. I've got my eyes set on a few local acts as well as some dvds.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:00 pm 

So very excited! I already got a few planned out, so I'll be in.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:27 pm 

I'm sure I'll finally write at least one this time, which would break my old record of 0, from the last review challenge. :D

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:18 pm 

Sean16 wrote:
EDIT: CHRIST_NS_ANITY, the Challenge always lasts one whole week, from Monday at 00:00:01 to the following Sunday at 23:59:59

Also take note that it's from US time, every time there's a couple of people who jump the gun.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:37 pm 

Isn't it based on the MA forum time?

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:08 am 

Yeah, I just assumed that the forum time was US... but then again, there'd be a lot of timezones through the US, either way, forum time.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:13 am 

The MA time is actually GMT.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:45 am 

Kruel wrote:
Isn't it based on the MA forum time?

No. Be careful about that, caspian fucked himself out of a few reviews last time because of the discrepancy between forum and site time.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:51 am 

*lucked?

But yeah that was freaking annoying. Won't happen this time though, just because I won't have access to the internet until the thursday.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:54 am 

Didn't realize that. What's the site time based on, then? Seems like it might be the Quebec time, but I'm not sure.

Sean16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:12 pm 

To be sure your review won't be posted outside of the boundaries, just wait for the Tuesday ;)

Alright, no serious objection to the proposed dates so far, so I guess we all can write down Monday the 24th - Sunday the 30th as the official week for the 7th Reviews Challenge.

After a quick look at my harem it seems I'll write more than two miserable reviews this time... hum... provided you don't flood the site with so many reviews I've no choice left other than spending the whole night compiling the huge List.

Any news from hells_unicorn? The Challenge wouldn't look the same without him.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next