Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:53 pm 

I think it's time for another one, we might be late by a few weeks even. I won't be able to contribute much beyond a rushed review but it should still happen! Looking forward to the good times MA cycle jerk and the perplexed v Ozzy "who's got the most boring life" contest as per usual. Where's the frenchie?

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:03 pm 

Why not have one over the Christmas holidays? Surely everyone will have a fair bit of free time whilst avoiding family members?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:03 pm 

I was thinking about starting this thread up, but after the bitching fiasco that went on at the tail end of the last contest, I thought to just move on. There are a few virgin releases I'd like to pop like some Thin Lizzy full-lengths, but I don't know.

I don't think Sean is that interested in being the host anymore, and sisters's handy discordance database clocks in stats every day anyway, so no one needs to keep score aside from him just presenting it to us. If we can move past the contest aspect and maybe just dub "this week we maybe take three jerk-off hours we planned and spend it on reviewing virgin releases" so it'll feel like it applies to all guys, that may work out fine.

I could have hit 100 if I didn't feel so bored last time. Oh well.

I would like to see all the top 25 reviews participating, though (well, 24, sans Ultraboris), as you guys are coolio. Us reviewers are our own clique; reviews are the glue... that BINDSSSS us as users.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:15 pm 

It might inspire me to finish the 20 reviews I promised to do for a label a few months back, I think they might be getting angry at my slackness. I'm all for it as soon as possible.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:23 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
reviews are the glue... that BINDSSSS us as users.

That's one theory...

lord_ghengis wrote:
It might inspire me to finish the 20 reviews I promised to do for a label a few months back, I think they might be getting angry at my slackness. I'm all for it as soon as possible.

Lessons learned: never make promises regarding your own productivity.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:30 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I'd like to pop like some Thin Lizzy full-lengths, but I don't know.

I could certainly muster one for Fighting. In fact, it's only a "technical virgin" as I had a crappy review up for that one in 2007 or so.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:05 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

Lessons learned: never make promises regarding your own productivity.

I was expecting them to send like half a dozen CD's, but instead I get this pile of like 30, it's just daunting and I keep getting bored of it.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:25 pm 

You know, I'll participate in this when it gets kicked off. I don't have very many reviews up but I greatly enjoy writing them, and a friendly little competition like this should be a good motivator. I've been listening to a lot of obscure death metal recently, so that will probably be the extent of virgins I'm able to cover. I also have a few review ideas bouncing around in my head anyways, so this can get me back in the writing mood. I'm still dedicated to getting the first positive review of Let There be Blood up.

Are we allowed to call dibs on virgins? :p
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:37 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
You know, I'll participate in this when it gets kicked off. I don't have very many reviews up but I greatly enjoy writing them, and a friendly little competition like this should be a good motivator. I've been listening to a lot of obscure death metal recently, so that will probably be the extent of virgins I'm able to cover. I also have a few review ideas bouncing around in my head anyways, so this can get me back in the writing mood. I'm still dedicated to getting the first positive review of Let There be Blood up.

Are we allowed to call dibs on virgins? :p

If I remember right, no, but, if I remember right, you still do get credit for deflowering one if someone else beats you to the punch.

Obligatory Last FM Link

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:42 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
If I remember right, no, but, if I remember right, you still do get credit for deflowering one if someone else beats you to the punch.

Correct

As for me, I have a lot of Japanese releases I'd like to see cleared up. Lot of them are DVDs, too, so they require a good amount of sitting down, shutting up, and headbanging; actually these are Japanese bands so I'll be standing up or jumping or something. For that reason, I probably won't nail the 100 or even close like last time. That was a personal goal just to see if I could be #1, and I did, so I'm content with anything now.

No more dumpster diving in blogs for obscure demos.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:32 pm 

I was trying to get back into reviewing some releases but I just don't have any spare time. I had a bit over thanksgiving break but now that is over. I'll have a week off over xmas but I will be going home and my parents will make me not want to be at home i'm sure.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Naught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:34 am 

I'll participate in a review challenge if it's hosted over the Christmas holiday season. I'm certain that my prose has become more clear and concise as I've been extensively writing for various course assignments. Expect my reviews to be succinct and brief, yet detailed in terms of reviewing the music at-hand.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:58 am 

I'm in for doing one during the Christmas holiday as well, it will give me something to do while not sleeping off the daze of the increased business activity up until Christmas eve. I have many virgins, and an aspiration to join the 100 reviews in a week club that Ozzy and Perplexed have been shooting for.

This thing should be more about challenging ourselves than anything else, and I would support the results only being posted on the discordance to avoid any unnecessary grief about inter-reviewer competition, the limitations on singles or other related issues.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:34 am 

No more limitations. Any unreviewed release is fair game.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:57 am 

droneriot wrote:

Agreed. It's the review that counts, not the format or release type.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:26 am 

If people don't obsess too much about the numbers, it should regulate itself anyway, since it's obviously more fun to review something entirely fresh than it is to review single cuts from an album you've already reviewed.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:26 am 

Whats wrong with interreviewer competition? As long as you dont take it too serious and just write proper reviews.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:37 am 

Napero wrote:
droneriot wrote:

Agreed. It's the review that counts, not the format or release type.

Thanks guys. I'm going by this.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:46 am 

Metallica singles, here I come!!

I dunno, christmas break would be sorta alright, but whereas you fags/losers/jews in the northern hemisphere will be shivering your asses off I'd rather be outside and having a good time. First, second or even the 3rd week of december would be the best time to do it, I reckon.

Quote:
This thing should be more about challenging ourselves than anything else, and I would support the results only being posted on the discordance to avoid any unnecessary grief about inter-reviewer competition, the limitations on singles or other related issues.

I sorta agree here but I also enjoy the competition it brings. I'd just say that if anyone's going for the top 3 this year than they should really self regulate a bit more, I may do some singles for a laugh but I doubt I'll even make double figures this year.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:05 pm 

caspian wrote:
I sorta agree here but I also enjoy the competition it brings. I'd just say that if anyone's going for the top 3 this year than they should really self regulate a bit more, I may do some singles for a laugh but I doubt I'll even make double figures this year.

The self-regulation approach worked early on, but we've got about 3 times as many participants as we did back in 2006-2008, so it gets a bit more difficult when everybody has diverging views about what the format should be. I think separating the score posting into the discordance, where direct commenting doesn't occur, may aid in regulating everybody's zeal to get the totals up.

I am, however, all for posting the total cumulative score to see whether or not we smash the old record from 2 challenges ago. :hail:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:29 pm 

I have a bunch of reviews written on paper. Three have been passed over the past summer. One for Darkspace's Dark Space -1 got rejected for lack of content. I have a few more that I want to revise along with it.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:59 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

I could certainly muster one for Fighting. In fact, it's only a "technical virgin" as I had a crappy review up for that one in 2007 or so.

So you molested it?

- Tim Minchin

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:02 am 

OlioTheSmall wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

So you molested it?

That or it under went Hymenorrhaphy.

I'm up for this since it should provide some well needed motivation to get back into reviewing. I'm comfortable with any date set.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:06 pm 

Goodie, I'm up for this. Should have time as work should, hopefully, largely bugger off and leave me alone for a little while. Lots of obscure death and doom and sludge and all that lovely stuff for me. Unlikely I'll be reviewing singles or anything as I prefer to do albums. But no strong feelings on format etc across the board. Nice one caspian et al, I'll be checking this thread for details.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:31 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
Whats wrong with interreviewer competition? As long as you dont take it too serious and just write proper reviews.

Well, you answered your own question there. Some people like droneriot took it too seriously.

Anyway December is generally fine for me to be a review queue bitch and maybe squeeze in a few reviews of my own. I don't have any trips planned or anything. I guess FuzzyPoo's volunteered himself to "run" the thing.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:51 pm 

So are we going to set any official rules or due dates? I wanna know before I start submitting more stuff.

Byrgan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:19 am 

Cool. But I'll have to pull out the chastity belt, as I've already done some writeups lately that are virgins. I have more to put aside, so there's no worry.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:04 pm 

I'll participate but nowhere near as many as usual. I haven't listened to much metal in recent months and don't have too many virgins laying around and I'll be pretty busy around Christmas anyway.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:21 pm 

someone should really pick a date and who will do all the administration?

Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:46 am 

caspian wrote:
Where's the frenchie?

Far, far away from France.

OzzyApu wrote:
I don't think Sean is that interested in being the host anymore

I unfortunately have to admit it's correct, but it's nice to see you guys are still keeping the thing alive. I'm still occasionally lurking around and I'd gladly write a review if there's a Challenge going, given Nappy and I are "the only reviewers who wrote at least one review for every Challenge so far" - and I want to keep this title.

tomcat_ha wrote:
who will do all the administration?

Let's be clear: not I. Sunday would be the only day I could do anything.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:05 am 

sisters_of_merciless will have his machinery do the administrative work, like last time.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:17 am 

Cool, I'm down to write a few reviews. Hopefully at least one per day of the challenge. It would be prime if it could take place sometime within the next month. What say you?

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:37 am 

Razakel wrote:
What say you?

We fight!

Since someone has to do it, I'm setting the times here and now. Since I'll probably need to work on the queue then, I'd rather have it when I have time, not when it suits some random Aussie or something.

27th Dec to 2nd Jan. Midnight to midnight.

Any complaints can be sent to the sultan of Brunei or the IRS. Or possibly Uwe Boll. Because I don't care.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:26 am 

id like to send complaints to uwe boll actually.

sisters_of_merciless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:13 pm 

Yes, the Discordance can do the stat-tracking for us automatically. When it's almost time I'll switch over the challenge 10 stats-queries to challenge 11, but editing a few 10s to 11s is literally all that will take.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:17 pm 

Great, that week works out perfectly for me, Napero, as it would for a lot of people. One thing that I'd like to let the other reviewers know - look at the X Japan and Grave Digger pages... you'll see them pretty full by the time this is over hehehehe...

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:07 pm 

Napero wrote:
I'd rather have it when I have time, not when it suits some random Aussie or something.

:tongue: This does not suit some random Aussie!

Oh, well, I guess I'll contribute to the next one, then. I had a couple I may have been willing to deflower for this challenge, but I wouldn't be writing nearly as many as, say, OzzyApu, so my contribution would've been minute. Good luck to all the reviewers.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:02 pm 

I think I'll review some of the un-reviewed Tygers of Pan Tang albums.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:53 pm 

Napero wrote:
Razakel wrote:
What say you?

We fight!

Since someone has to do it, I'm setting the times here and now. Since I'll probably need to work on the queue then, I'd rather have it when I have time, not when it suits some random Aussie or something.

Any complaints can be sent to the sultan of Brunei or the IRS. Or possibly Uwe Boll. Because I don't care.

Well, I just got back from a 6 day stay in Bucharest and made my way back through Germany, but since your dates literally work perfectly with my schedule, I didn't feel the need to distract good old Uwe from making another shitty flick with star-power that he doesn't deserve, the rest of you can hate me for it if you like, but I think the latest Blood Rayne sequel will be profaning the good name of the video game series on time yet again.

I'm all for it, though it looks like Empyreal and I will be intersecting on a few Tygers of Pan Tang albums, chalk it up to similar tastes. :lol:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:08 pm 

I like Spellbound a lot, but we'll see if the others after it are any good...hmmm...

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next