Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VibrationsOfDoom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:58 am 

I have noticed several of the Vibrations Of Doom RealAudio links have been removed... Don't know if it's random, someone trashing band links/pages, or a combination... I haven't received any notices about any "wrong doing" (IE: private messages from moderators or official staff) and I've noticed King Spooky is the one removing the majority of the links...

TO CLARIFY: First off, many of these links have been here FOR MANY YEARS... I read through the forum archives, and there were several questions raised, but as far as I know no one has publicly said anything against these unofficial links...

Also, these links have been removed privately... Never was I contacted prior to these link removals, nor did anyone mention removing them in the forums (that I've seen so far from doing an extensive search)

If it helps, let me clarify a few things...

A. If a band has contacted me about not wanting their album on the classic album archives, it comes down. PERIOD...
B. If you're concerned about the legality of said issues, I was contacted by Ann Boelyn of Hellion a few years back. She specializes in music copyright law and told me the streaming RealAudio format is not breaking any copyright laws due to the sources and the quality of the audio.
C. Some of the unofficial sites links have the Classic Metal Samples links and no vibrations of doom links. So which is it? Why are these links being removed?
D. If they need to be renamed or re-written just let me know and I'll get to it... Some new titles are going to be added in the next several months (not like 300 or 400, maybe 20 or 30 at most...) and it'd be nice if people knew where to go to check them out, as they are pretty damn rare and/or out of print...

VibrationsOfDoom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:05 am 

As a side note, I've modified a few of these re-adding the links... This was before I realized what was going on. I will stop for now until I get clarification on this, and what I need to do differently...

VibrationsOfDoom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:41 am 

Not to be an ass about things, but one more valid point (YES, I know this was 14 years ago, but still)...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15096&p=932438&hilit=VibrationsOfDoom#p932438

KingSpooky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:45 pm 

RealAudio files aren't a relevant resource at this point. They sound terrible (much like the CD-Rs that you used to trade people of those once-rare albums for original CDs from your want list, gatekeeping the 'classic albums' before they were as widely accessible as they now are and sending people a 2-title-per-disc CD-R with shoddy, compromised audio in return for 2 CDs, $30 worth of merchandise), and are a pain to access. A lot of these same streams are also available at the Classic Metal Samples page, or an official site like Bandcamp, one of a number of other sites that are in the links which are much easier to use and sound better, making a second inferior streaming link redundant. Additionally, you recently complained about Dominion (Georgia, US) being rejected on this site in the Heavy Metal Rarities forum "due to lack of valid release", claiming to have sent samples in along with your submission, when in actuality you offered to provide samples in the submission, but didn't. The rejection message requested the audio samples offered up in the submission. After a few weeks with no follow-up and reviewing your inaccurate complaint on a different website, I did the research myself and restored your entry. So, the short answer is that the links aren't that relevant or helpful compared to what else is out there and already present in the link section, and enough is rubbing me the wrong way about the links that I opt to delete them when coming across them on the site.

https://imgur.com/a/nUSyqsh

VibrationsOfDoom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:14 pm 

I'm not worried about the Dominion releases... Until Dano gives me permission to add them somewhere, they will more than likely remain as they are... I am trying to negotiate with a few demo and classic metal release labels, as this is good stuff and deserves to be heard by more people.. I'm still working on that end...

As for the RealAudio files... They have been improved DRASTICALLY since you may have last listened to them...They are close to lower MP3 quality since I have tweaked the original codecs (if you read the notations on my site you can tell which classic album titles have been done up in the newest format, which sounds great...

And actually, the trades I used to get from Sascha Glaeser in the early days were ripped directly from the vinyl or cassette sources and burned in .wav file straight to disc. I have remastered many of these; obviously the earliest RealAudio recordings sound pretty bad but as I said I've re-encoded many of them so they DO sound better... Take some time to check out a few and you'll see for yourself..

Additionally, I've had links on the site since forever. Vibrations of Doom Magazine is 30 years old this year, and many of these links have been around since around the mid 2000's... As I said, if you want me to remane them or rework them in some way, I'm all ears... I don't visit the forums that much, and actually haven't done much with the site, but since it's our 30 years anniversary, I have been doing radio shows again... And some newer classic album titles will be uploaded. I guarantee you I have been around a lot longer than the classic metal samples site... Probably at least 15 or 20 years longer...

VibrationsOfDoom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:17 pm 

Might I also add, thank you for re-adding the Dominion links... As I said I would have been more than willing to provide audio samples; as it is I was relegated to playing tracks from the demo(s) on my radio show. (One has already been played ('Jaws Of Life') on my July 30th broadcast...) This came at the request of the original guitarist Dan, who asked that I not spread these around (sadly). Still working on that one.

The original vocalist Dane Andrews was the one that got me into metal many, many moons ago... Thanks again for putting those back up there...

KingSpooky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:47 pm 

VibrationsOfDoom wrote:
Thanks again for putting those back up there...

You're welcome. I'll leave it up to the other moderators to decide/comment if these links should be included, and if so - in all cases, or not if there is a link to the same album for streaming at Bandcamp, Spotify (?)

VibrationsOfDoom wrote:
And actually, the trades I used to get from Sascha Glaeser in the early days were ripped directly from the vinyl or cassette sources and burned in .wav file straight to disc.

Maybe so, but the CD-Rs that I got from you back in the day had undeniable sound quality loss, specifically the kind that happens with low bit rate MP3s. Never did think that was cool, considering how much you were asking of people in return.

VibrationsOfDoom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:46 pm 

VibrationsOfDoom wrote:
And actually, the trades I used to get from Sascha Glaeser in the early days were ripped directly from the vinyl or cassette sources and burned in .wav file straight to disc.

Maybe so, but the CD-Rs that I got from you back in the day had undeniable sound quality loss, specifically the kind that happens with low bit rate MP3s. Never did think that was cool, considering how much you were asking of people in return.[/quote]

Yeah the problem "back in the day" was (besides my being a bit more immature and in financial straits), not the source material I was given, but in the way I cleaned the audio... Using Adobe Audition to remove all the vinyl noises (clicks, pops, scratches, etc) I tended to use a bit too much of the hiss reduction in the remastering which tended to seriously carve up the finer points of treble sounds (cymbal hits, etc). Back then it was Cool Edit. Nowadays, when I do secondary remastering of said recordings, I have better software designed specifically FOR the removal of vinyl imperfections that leaves the finer point of the sound alone... Chalk it up to a lone guy who didn't have any help or guidance to get this shit done properly...

Reply to topic