Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Phate666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:58 am 

Hi,

It would be really nice to have some kind of API (Rest or similar) to access the data of this website to simplify writing applications which use it.
Shouldn't be that complicated to implement. Another way would be to just release a (e.g. weekly) database dump, of course without any sensitive information like passwords etc.

I would love to get a response if this would be possible at all.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:21 pm 

Similar questions have been brought up before. I believe it's on the cards but it's ultimately up to the webmasters to implement it.

I'm not sure where it sits on their priorities list, though.

Phate666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:26 am 

Judging by the lack of responses I can only guess they don't care. It's not like it would be that time-consuming to implement.
For some parts of the database there already exists a JSON API (e.g. artist lists by letters, review lists for artists). If I had access to the source code I could probably implement the missing stuff in less than a day.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:16 am 

I think you are not the only one who would like to mess around with the stuff that is in the database.

I have done so several times already and did so last week again. I have now a set of data that displays the genres per country, dominant words in genres per country and dominant words on the whole. Sadly, obtaining this type of information was not easy. Interesting results though.

It would be nice to explore how the use of certain words have evolved over the years.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
http://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com/index.php/wiki/A_dead_spot_of_light
Some analysis on the metal scene (data taken from the Metal Archives):
http://oneyoudontknow.com

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:12 am 

Phate666 wrote:
Judging by the lack of responses I can only guess they don't care. It's not like it would be that time-consuming to implement.
For some parts of the database there already exists a JSON API (e.g. artist lists by letters, review lists for artists). If I had access to the source code I could probably implement the missing stuff in less than a day.

Dude, it's probably less to do with giving a crap than it is maintaining a different set of endpoints to cater to a small minority of users. Yes, RESTful APIs have been requested in the past, but it's not like every second visitor to the site is hungrily requesting it.

Obviously implementing an API isn't rocket surgery, but it does add another layer of responsibility to maintaining the site's data model.

Phate666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:43 am 

Alhadis wrote:
Phate666 wrote:

Dude, it's probably less to do with giving a crap than it is maintaining a different set of endpoints to cater to a small minority of users. Yes, RESTful APIs have been requested in the past, but it's not like every second visitor to the site is hungrily requesting it.

Obviously implementing an API isn't rocket surgery, but it does add another layer of responsibility to maintaining the site's data model.

As I mentioned before there already exists a JSON API for some parts of the data. Every single one of those sortable tables (e.g. http://www.metal-archives.com/lists/A) gets their data from there. There also already exists the code for the HTML output of the data, they simply have to add additional JSON or XML output.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:19 pm 

Phate666 wrote:
As I mentioned before there already exists a JSON API for some parts of the data. Every single one of those sortable tables (e.g. http://www.metal-archives.com/lists/A) gets their data from there. There also already exists the code for the HTML output of the data, they simply have to add additional JSON or XML output.

First of all, you're aware of the CORS issues involved with requesting cross-domain payloads, right? :p

Secondly, those endpoints were written for internal use by the site; if they have to change at any point in future (which I'm goddamn sure they will), any code relying on it will break. They're not so much an "API" insofar as they are just a method of data exchange between the site's front and back-end. At no point do I imagine the webmasters intended for them to be processed by external sources. :p

Phate666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:38 am 

Alhadis wrote:
Phate666 wrote:

First of all, you're aware of the CORS issues involved with requesting cross-domain payloads, right? :p

Secondly, those endpoints were written for internal use by the site; if they have to change at any point in future (which I'm goddamn sure they will), any code relying on it will break. They're not so much an "API" insofar as they are just a method of data exchange between the site's front and back-end. At no point do I imagine the webmasters intended for them to be processed by external sources. :p

That is exactly the reason why I asked if an API is planned. I have already written a simple HTML parser (only several 100 LOC, took maybe 1 or 2 hours) to download all bands, releases and reviews. If they change something in the layout of the website this parser will most likely stop working.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:55 am 

Well until then, your best bet is to stick with a headless browser or something, and play it safe with document.querySelector (or if you're a n00b and/or hate typing, jQuery :p).

acidmartin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:37 am 

Recently I published a 3rd party RESTFul API for Encyclopaedia Metallum. Currently it has 9 methods, but I am planning to add more soon. You can check it here: http://em.wemakesites.net/

jasniec
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:08 am 

Hi, I'm creating web scrapping library in C# / .NET.
I'm going to implement most features with bands / albums and songs.

The library is available on github: https://github.com/jasniec/MetalArchivesNET

Reply to topic