Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:05 pm 

Hello mods and site folks,
Just a query about language choice here on Metal Archives.

So, the current field for a band no longer active is 'Split-up'

This is functional as a choice of terminology, of course(!), but I just had a reaction when looking up some info on a band I love, who are no longer active because of the untimely death of the main songwriter.

My personal reaction was that 'split-up' doesn't really ring true for how things went down, the band did not split-up so much as cease to exist after the main lifeforce of the band unexpectedly died. Bands splitting-up generally involved multiple personalities going through the separation together, but in the cases where the main momentum behind a band dying is kind of a different thing, I feel.

So all of the above is a preamble for a suggestion for a more neutral word choice.
I realize this a very minor distinction, but consider there are numerous descriptors for bands still ongoing (Active, On Hold, Disputed, the more neutral Unknown, and Changed Name instances) and I'm not asking for another field to be made here, just a consideration for word choice.

So my suggestion for a more neutral word would be: Disbanded

Because a band ceasing to be, in any situation, is a band disbanded.

Those are my thoughts. I simply feel that that's a more universal word choice in the end.

Cheers.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:05 pm 

I second this change. Seems more universal and easy to implement.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:31 pm 

Fine by me.

I have my own pizza oven at my house, I can have as many extra ingredients as I want, it doesn't cost me any extra.

Dr_Keloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:49 pm 

I like "Defunct."

~Guest 366798
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:36 pm 

Better than any of my suggestions, ever. I think it's a good idea.

It should be different for solo projects, I mean, a solo project can't split up or disband, because it's a solo project, it can end but not split-up.

Storm of the Light's Bane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:57 pm 

I agree with this suggestion, seems like a great idea that wouldn't be that hard to implement.
Havok straight up became the equivalent of that one dude who posts several paragraphs-long rants on Facebook about how the rest of the world isn't woke enough and that the government has got spy cameras in every orifice of your home.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:13 am 

MetalMuxxer wrote:
It should be different for solo projects, I mean, a solo project can't split up or disband, because it's a solo project, it can end but not split-up.

Which makes Dr_Keloid's great recommendation of "defunct" all the better.

Midnight Rider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:51 am 

Nyaricus wrote:
My personal reaction was that 'split-up' doesn't really ring true for how things went down, the band did not split-up so much as cease to exist after the main lifeforce of the band unexpectedly died. Bands splitting-up generally involved multiple personalities going through the separation together, but in the cases where the main momentum behind a band dying is kind of a different thing, I feel.

Disagree.

Even if the main songwriter (leader, founder, creative force, etc...) of a band dies, the remaining members are unavoidably forced to take a decision to split-up or continue. So, technically the term "split-up" is still correct, because the band effectively did "split-up" after this kind of events. And while most bands choose this path, it's not always the case. (Thin Lizzy)

I belive what's clear here is that "split-up" is verbally incorrect for solo proyects. While it's true, an important part of them are self proclaimed "one-man-bands" (i.e. Burzum), or solo proyects that involved several guest/session musicians in the way. In that cases, I think it's still OK to use the term.

I dare to say that only a very minimal part of the "bands" of Metal-Archives are true solo proyects (i.e. Isengard), and only for this minority the term replacement would be a benefit. But even if that's logical, the color system is clear enough to associate "split-up" to "inactive, defunct, disbanded, etc." so, why reinforce something that works?

"Defunct" just looks too gloomy for me. Disbanded is worse than "split-up" in my opinion.

~Guest 366798
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:32 am 

Midnight Rider wrote:
Even if the main songwriter (leader, founder, creative force, etc...) of a band dies, the remaining members are unavoidably forced to take a decision to split-up or continue. So, technically the term "split-up" is still correct, because the band effectively did "split-up" after this kind of events. And while most bands choose this path, it's not always the case.

What if all the members die? Or only 1 is left? That's not a split-up.

Reply to topic