Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
UndeadKernel
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:02 pm 

Hi website maintainer(s),

Would it be possible to download all the logos of black metal bands from this website?
"What would you like that for?" -- that is the questions that I expect you ask me next.

I'm both an artificial intelligence researcher and a metal fan. I'd like to apply some of my research work into my hobby. For this same reason, I'd like to get as many logos of black metal bands as possible so as to build models that could create black metal logos out of arbitrary words. To train my algorithms to recognize and to then develop black metal logos, first, I need a lot of sample data. Therefore, I ask, would it be possible to download all black metal logos from the website? This could be either by downloading them from an FTP or something similar (that you own) or, if it would be approved, by creating (myself) a scrapper that would go into every black metal band's webpage and download the logo.

Please let me know if this would be acceptable from your side.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:43 pm 

Yeah, feel free to scrape the data from the site. I sent you a PM with some details.

pisymbol
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:12 pm 

PM sent your way @HellBlazer. I have a similar request.

spaceman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:48 am 

OP, did anything come out of your bot? I'm interested to see your results.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:07 pm 

pisymbol wrote:

I know this is your first post here... but I can never understand why users send private messages and then publicly state doing so on the forums whilst saying nothing else... and even more so when it's to revive a thread of 2 years. One or the other should suffice, he'll get the message.

pisymbol
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:34 pm 

HouseSpiders wrote:
pisymbol wrote:

I know this is your first post here... but I can never understand why users send private messages and then publicly state doing so on the forums whilst saying nothing else... and even more so when it's to revive a thread of 2 years. One or the other should suffice, he'll get the message.

Ok! I think it's kinda silly to make a big stink out of it though. Others may also want this topic revived too so the extra post has some merit albeit small.

Last edited by pisymbol on Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:43 pm 

A "big stink"? Right....... also, you could potentially revive hundreds of old and dead threads if it's always with that idea. I can't honestly say I saw much in your post... but obviously you did... so fair enough. I got warned for thread necromancy once.

spaceman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:45 am 

(I'm posting here because I can't directly PM the admins yet and am unsure of the appropriate channels)

I'm also requesting data and/or access to scrape the site. I'd like to develop an R-Shiny app using metal-archives data to visualize some of the most well-received albums with respect to their band's location, time released, and perhaps even other features (lyrical content maybe? It'll depend on what I can suss out of the data). Something like empath but more visual and interactive. The goal is to make a nice interactive data visualization to help those who are just getting into metal get started, but I'm sure other things can come out of it.

Reply to topic