Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:51 pm 

I understand why this topic was closed - Metal Sucks is a cancer to the scene, and talking about them here could only perpetuate the issue. However, the article that Todd Jones posted on Facebook made some very valid points about the paradox of Metal Sucks co-owner Ben Umanov. He owns Blast Beat Network, an advertising company that is genuinely helpful in helping bands, labels, etc. advertise on metal blogs; yet he is using the same money these entities are paying him to fund his other company (Metal Sucks), which actively spreads drama and hate pieces about the same bands! I feel this is something worth discussing in our community, because it is shedding light on someone who is profiting on metal bands, and using those profits to rip into them.

I will support whatever the moderators decide here; i just think that it should be discussed because this type of corruption should be exposed. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Misotheist - Melodic Black/Death/Thrash Metal
Spotify

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:00 am 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
I will support whatever the moderators decide here; i just think that it should be discussed because this type of corruption should be exposed. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Or, maybe, just an answer? :scratch:

:nono:

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:16 am 

Apologies for the late response on this. Admittedly, I did not see your thread until now.

No one here is a fan of MetalSucks, but I could understand why the mod who closed your thread did so. On the one hand, it is a topic that should be brought to light (if it is, in fact, true) since it does shed light on the credibility of that website. That said, and on the other hand, for the time being there's really nothing beyond hearsay and "he said, she said" to verify what actually happened. At this point that's all there is, and that just means a thread on the topic would simply devolve into gossip about the site and situation, at best, and infantile hate brigading of the site, at worst. MA really isn't in the business to entertain clickbait gossip, or to sanction a discussion calling out other sites for allegations against them, even if, personally, we might feel such websites that DO practice such things deserve such ridicule. It's best to wait until (or if) there becomes more to this story.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:47 pm 

I appreciate the reply and explanation. I definitely understand where you're coming from, and reopening the thread wouldn't do much other than create more gossip. I just thought it would be good to spread the word about this so people know to stop giving MetalSucks any web traffic, not that we needed another reason.

Misotheist - Melodic Black/Death/Thrash Metal
Spotify

Reply to topic