Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:48 pm 

What do you think of adding a column showing the number of reviews when you search for bands of a particular genre? For example, if a newbie wants to get into the black/doom genre, but doesn't know where to start, he could search for black doom bands and then sort them by number of reviews to get the most popular bands of this genre, since the number of reviews is somewhat of an indicator of popularity.

This would require being able to sort the bands by columns other than the band name, and I am not sure how difficult it is to implement. But still showing the number of reviews for the bands would be nice even without the sorting. At least that's what I caught myself wanting several times.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:28 pm 

I think that's a very good idea. Quite often, when I use the advanced search to find bands of a particular genre, I find too many bands with unknown demos from 1992 that are virtually impossible to trace anywhere, and/or bad quality metal. I can relate to this problem when I was trying to find metal bands that sing in French. It can indeed be quite difficult to use the advanced search for such purposes, and your idea would make it far easier to find the best results faster.

This link could also be helpful though, although it isn't your suggestion: http://www.furia.com/em/releases-style.html

~Guest 502755
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:42 pm 

HouseSpiders wrote:
I think that's a very good idea. Quite often, when I use the advanced search to find bands of a particular genre, I find too many bands with unknown demos from 1992 that are virtually impossible to trace anywhere, and/or bad quality metal. I can relate to this problem when I was trying to find metal bands that sing in French. It can indeed be quite difficult to use the advanced search for such purposes, and your idea would make it far easier to find the best results faster.

This link could also be helpful though, although it isn't your suggestion: http://www.furia.com/em/releases-style.html

Yes, this is exactly what I was talking about. Checking out every single band that is given to you is unrealistic, especially if you are not well-versed in this genre. I believe adding a new column is pretty easy from a technical point, although sorting them might be more difficult.

I know about this site, it's pretty useful, but adding this functionality to genre search will give much greater flexibility, as people will be able to combine different genres.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:11 pm 

I agree, yes. I definitely support the idea.

Reply to topic