Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SF01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:39 am 

Hello.

So, I believe that "Video" release type is obsolete, unnessesary, redundant and should be removed.

Every use of "Video" release type can be substituted with every other available release type. Especially since instruduction of "Versions"

Concert "video" is simply live album, just ilke CD release, with VHS/DVD/BD set as pyhsical format of the release. The same with videoclip "Compilation", or a "Single" on a DVD with videoclip.

Not to mention, some "Video" releases are listed under "Live" releases tab, while they are not live recordings, but merely compilations of video clips, like Iron Maiden's Visions of the Beat, or Metallica's "The Videos 1989–2004", which is misleading.

If not deleted, than it should be heavili restricted for use only for official documetaries, like Mayhem's "Pure Fuckin' Mayhem".

Uncolored
Death Metal Fundamentalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:18 pm 

this has just been discussed among mods. updates are in the works.

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand

SF01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:12 pm 

I see no updates and one mod is constantly trying to make my life harder. The whole point of introducing versions was to keep different releases of the same album in one place, especially CD and DVD versions of a LIVE ALBUM, that so happens to be a video on a DVD, had it been on DVD-Audio would it not be set to "video" type i wonder...

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:15 pm 

None of us are making anyone's lives difficult. It's also extremely disrespectful of you to continue changing videos to live albums after my message telling you not to. If you want warnings, point loss and compromised editing privileges, by all means continue ignoring moderator instructions just because you don't agree. Currently, if it was released on video, we use the category video. If it's audio, then we use live album. Yes, the current system could possibly be improved, but until then, we will continue working the way we work today.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:52 am 

Why do we have to threads for the same issue now? Come on dude. And a "please" wouldn't have hurt your ego either.

We also have separate entries for instrumental versions of albums that otherwise feature vocals. For kinda the same reasons.
1) both releases feature different "recordings". In case of instrumental versions, the one with vocals has the additional recorsing of vocals featured, and a live video has the additional recorsing of the video (obviously). Because the differences between those versions are big enough to warrant it's own entry.
2) We have to separate them at this point in time to keep our lineup tabs working. It would look just as weird to have a vocalist credited on an instrumental album as it would for a live audio to feature "video editing" or "camera man" or other stuff that only applies to the video but not the audio.

There are probably more reasons, but I just woke up and those were the first things I could think of

SF01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:56 am 

We have threads for the same issue, because the issue was not resolved. You are correct, it wouldn't have hurt indeed, I shall then incorporate this advice into my routine.

1) It's the same session and instrumental versions usually are simply bonus content in term of Disc, rarely standalone release, but Epica's Requiem was released separately on promo CD-R and DLP. And somehow different language versions are kept in one parent release, like Graveland's "Creed of Iron" / "Prawo stali" and "Pamięć i przeznaczenie" / "Memory and Destiny [2012]". The key word is "version", what does it stand for? Different medium? Yes, unless there is bonus video content, but when there is bonus content in terms of additional tracks it isn't a problem. If it was a different recording entirely such as entirely rerecorded, or different concert than obviously new entry. It is the whole point of version to keep CD and DVD version of the same album in one place not to create junk in discography page, CD version has LPCM audio, DVD version has AC3 audio and video that CD for obvious reasons does not contain. Sometimes a VHS/DVD/BD only release gets a limited vinyl release, it is more practical to keep this as rerelease version of the original. On the other hand in case of Iron Maiden's "Live at the Rainbow" and "The Early Years" to be separate because "differences between those versions are big enough to warrant it's own entry". New cover, new title, lots of bonus content. But on yet another hand there are compilation albums, demos and even regular albusm that are rereleased with different titles, artwork, running order and yet they are still listed as rereleases because they contain the same source material.
2) But it is possible to change lineup for different versions. For example's Ozzy's first two albums, on 2002 versions there is change on bass and drums and somehow original performers are removed and new are listed. So ad. 2 is completely irrelevant.

Consider those arguments, please.

Dickpenis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:30 am 

I don't see anything wrong with how it's currently handled. The distinction between audio and audiovisual media is useful imo.

SF01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:42 pm 

Oh, so now we're keeping different language versions of the albusm as separate releases?

Even those scusm at discogs can keep order and keep language versions in one master release. I am talking specifically about Moonlight for example. Disjointing language versions brings chaos and disorder to the database.

I hereby add please.

Reply to topic